Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 89
  1. #1
    Tic Toc's Avatar
    Join Date
    2009,February 9th
    Location
    ♥♥ (=゚ω゚) ♥♥ (゚Д゚;)
    Posts
    388

    Default Tic Toc's Guide to Propaganda

    Foreword: This is an informational post in hopes of stemming the leaky faucet-like flow of rubbish posts on World 33.

    The What
    Propa-who-wha?

    Propaganda is the fourth most deadly weapon on Tribal Wars, lying somewhere after Axes and somewhere before Catapults (never found them handy). However, unlike the common units in Tribal Wars, Propaganda is a double edged sword. Using it wisely and cautiously will give you the support of the public. And, as mentioned in another post, it is a lot easier to declare and win a war against a tough opponent if the rest of the world is rooting you on, and likewise its a heavy handicap to be fighting an enemy with the support of the public.

    First off let's define Propaganda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Propaganda is the dissemination of information aimed at influencing the opinions or behaviors of large numbers of people. As opposed to impartially providing information, propaganda in its most basic sense presents information in order to influence its audience. Propaganda often presents facts selectively (thus lying by omission) to encourage a particular synthesis, or gives loaded messages in order to produce an emotional rather than rational response to the information presented. The desired result is a change of the attitude toward the subject in the target audience to further a political agenda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
    (Propaganda is) The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.
    Let's take an example. Two children are fighting on the playground. One of the two punches feebly, and the other immediately points it out. Suddenly the first child is being ridiculed by the mob of children surrounding him. Its a mental attack, a mind game, of being backed into a corner by a mob.

    Let's take another example. You neutrally stumble upon a forum thread about a war between two tribes. This thread is by a member of Tribe A, which accuses Tribe B of harboring fugitives and recruiting players that were cleared and being farmed. Tribe A also posts quoted messages between tribe leaders, showing that the leader of Tribe B refuses to comply and uses childish language and insults to justify his actions.

    This post has absolutely no rude pictures attached to it with arrows and labels. This post has absolutely no insults or threats. It simply states the situation and gives a public declaration of war. Now, the immediate reaction to this post is that you support Tribe A. The familiarity of the stress from the leader of Tribe A having to deal with the incompetence of Tribe B connects with most players on a basic level, and suddenly Tribe A has the support of the Public.

    The Why
    The Sunny Upside
    The immediate result of this support may be nothing at all, especially if Tribe B does not use the forums. Regardlessly, Tribe B is put into a corner, has no backing for their actions, and is being publicly ridiculed.

    If the propaganda is good enough, it may entice more allies to join the side of Tribe A. It may even crush the hope of Tribe B, leaving an opening for an easy victory.

    The Downside
    A propaganda thread can also backfire. If no evidence is used to back claims a quick and witty comeback can quickly sway the emotions of a mob, turning all of that hard work against you. If evidence is made up and proved incorrect, all credibility of the poster is lost, and he/she quickly becomes a ridicule. If threats, goofy pictures with no meaning, and insults are used, the poster may seem childish and insecure, giving a weakness for an opponent to exploit.

    There is also a strict difference between propaganda and self-glorification/flaming. Propaganda uses specific facts while holding back others, or finds flaws in an opponent's logic. Meanwhile, self-glorification/flaming is simply a biased insult in hopes of clawing out some self-glorification from bringing an opponent unlikely of defense down.

    There are two major forms of propaganda. The above examples are those against an opponent. However, one more commonly dubbed as spam is also effective, called

    And the How.
    The How To of Hoot and Hype

    Feelings are not supposed to be logical. Dangerous is the man who has rationalized his emotions. - David Borenstein

    Make Your Opponent Look like a Monkey

    You are a physical representation of your tribe. Don't act like an idiot. Most people can and will fall in love with a group of people if just one person seems likable. If you ever have a position of power or leadership, this is a hugely important part of propaganda. If you can seem gentlemanly under the stress of war and threats, if you can force your opponent into using insults, then you have won. Simply quote him and let everyone enjoy your suave victory.

    However, do not think that you must change your attitude for this to work. The exact opposite can be used, too. If you show absolutely no respect to a player, but still manage to find errors in his logic or force him to use insults to counter a goofy attitude, you will effectively break down his own ethos. A great example follows:

    Quote Originally Posted by Openeye
    kn1ghtmair today at 10:23
    do u want 2 merge with my tribe, if you do then please just say so and ill invite u all/.........

    My tribal forumms took me hours to update so they are pretty helpful and my description is quite nice so..

    Will u join..

    please..

    Thankyou....if for whatever reason u can't join then please can we be allies.......

    i believe that with your help we can conquer all tribes that stand in our way, but without you we can't do that...

    Openeye today at 13:50
    Whats with the blue and green?

    kn1ghtmair today at 16:07
    it looks cool

    Openeye today at 17:19
    It confuses me.

    kn1ghtmair today at 17:24
    sorry

    Openeye today at 17:27
    You should be. Its not nice to confuse people.

    Why blue and green? As opposed to say red and purple?

    kn1ghtmair today at 17:28
    sorry it was just a thought i wont do it again
    Openeye completely ignored kn1ghtmair's question, and instead pointed out something that seemed ridiculous, thereby tearing down his opponents confidence. You get the idea.


    To Err is to be a Loser

    An error in argument or logic can be a quick and decisive loss. If you ever quote anything, make sure its reliable and truthful. Make sure anything you say is rock solid. If you accuse Tribe B of harboring fugitives, give overwhelming evidence. Give mail messages, attack reports, TW Plus tribe-change links, and anything else that can seal and lock an idea.

    However, finding an error in argument or logic can be a quick and decisive victory. Let's say you are an unlucky victim of propaganda. The absolute best way to defend yourself from bad publicity is to prove it wrong. However, you can effectively destroy the credibility of the author by proving just one part wrong.

    Let's say the author misquoted. Let's say he used a single fact wrong. Point it out, and quickly follow it with a witty comment like "Get your facts straight before you publish this on the front page of Times, buddy. No one cares." (You get the idea. If I had a more direct situation I could come up with something better.) Then include a list of your own facts against your opponent. You will see why soon.

    It is almost impossible to arrange a counter argument after you have been proving wrong without seceding and admitting that the fact was wrong. This basically "gives up ground" to the opponent, making any counter facts you listed against the opening poster twice as effective. Nothing is worse than an insult the one being insulted agreed upon.


    Appease the Crowd

    Know what the audience is here for: entertainment. Hell, this is a game. If you can make the audience laugh, make yourself seem funny and likable, public opinion will quickly sway your way. So why not include a bit of sarcasm into an air-tight argument?

    If you find yourself corner, make the argument itself seem ridiculous. "So what if I lost a village, you lost three villages of offense. It was a military retreat." (As I wrote, in the back of my mind, I heard Simon Cowell's voice say "That was dreadful!")

    However, do not think humor by itself is a form of propaganda. Yes, people will laugh at you if you act like a monkey, but it the end you are still acted like a goddamn monkey. Never use humor in place of logic. A bland but sturdy argument always beats a funny but useless one.

    Statement -> Lololol epic fail is not effective propaganda.
    Statement -> Proof -> Lololol epic fail is.


    Logic stumps emotion.
    Facts stump humor.
    But emotion and humor govern the crowd.





    Afterword: This guide is mainly focused on argumentation form of propaganda, with a poster aiming to change the opinion of the public on themselves by using an opponent. There is plenty of other forms of propaganda, most common being publicity (bragging). Not all propaganda is used against an opponent like this guide is intended. However, the majority of crapaganda on this forum has been the argumentation form. And while bad publicity can be categorized as spam and glechossen, bad propaganda can only fester, being on topic however bad
    Last edited by Petert : 2009,February 10th at 02:59

  2. #2
    Tic Toc's Avatar
    Join Date
    2009,February 9th
    Location
    ♥♥ (=゚ω゚) ♥♥ (゚Д゚;)
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Example of Bad Propaganda:
    http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthread.php?t=122066
    - The author uses insults making him seem insecure and/or immature.
    - Very little explanation behind logic or reasoning.
    - Opponent is obviously defenseless.

    http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthread.php?t=123128
    - =EagleEye= digs himself into a hole
    - The author uses insults/personal threats making him seem insecure and/or immature.

    Reserved for an example of Good Propaganda.
    Still none
    Last edited by Tic Toc : 2009,February 15th at 19:23

  3. #3
    Petert's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,January 13th
    Posts
    2,584

    Default

    This has my seal of approval!

    *stickied*



  4. #4
    Taters's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007,August 22nd
    Location
    Good question, where the hell am I?
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    Taters approved!

  5. #5
    Tic Toc's Avatar
    Join Date
    2009,February 9th
    Location
    ♥♥ (=゚ω゚) ♥♥ (゚Д゚;)
    Posts
    388

    Default

    I am honored.

  6. #6

    Default

    Absolutely brilliant. :D
    W33: Evolve | W34: Xtirp8 | W42: W1N | W46: Ego!!! | W47: Hop! | W49: Fame. | Apathy | PSYCHE | W59: shAve

  7. #7
    PeRvIs's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007,September 3rd
    Location
    the middle of nowhere
    Posts
    5,591

    Default

    intriguing

  8. #8
    mattcurr's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007,September 25th
    Location
    With god
    Posts
    7,091

    Default

    I only read the foreword, but Ill just blindly follow the crowed, great job
    Spencer(The Rimmer): whats a sun
    Matt!?!: idk but mom turns it on when she comes in the basement
    Matt!?!: it makes light

  9. #9

    Join Date
    2008,October 30th
    Location
    W22
    Posts
    395

    Default

    Nice job mate ^-^



  10. #10

    Default

    Good guide. Keep it coming.

  11. #11

    Co-community manager
    allyboo's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007,August 5th
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeRvIs View Post
    intriguing
    My thoughts exactly!
    zomgtw.net - farmfinder, player/tribe achievements & other stuff
    InnoGames

  12. #12
    pyker42's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,June 19th
    Location
    In a Little District, in a Neighborhood.
    Posts
    13,863

    Default

    Nice work. Maybe we will see a newer world with some proper PnP.

    (Not likely, but here's hoping)
    Spoiler:

    [4:55:14 PM] kentster82: try to be like pyker he is spam master

  13. #13

    Default

    love the quote at the end

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pyker42 View Post
    Nice work. Maybe we will see a newer world with some proper PnP.

    (Not likely, but here's hoping)
    We can all pray, but I fear that enlightenment in that category is a ways away.

  15. #15
    herpezx's Avatar
    Join Date
    2009,February 1st
    Location
    In Your Village behind the Fire Place
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Wow lol I'm glad I actually spent the Time to read that.

    W16 Rim Noob
    W33 Core ... Only the strongest Survive.

  16. #16
    Tic Toc's Avatar
    Join Date
    2009,February 9th
    Location
    ♥♥ (=゚ω゚) ♥♥ (゚Д゚;)
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Way to take the spotlight off of my epic guide ;3

    Gonna report it and ask to move it to Funny IG Mails.

    Just kidding.

  17. #17

    Default

    Great guide.

    omg i was laughing through the whole thing
    Rimming noobs since W7
    Im Mr Ace

  18. #18
    openeye's Avatar
    Join Date
    2006,November 22nd
    Posts
    1,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tic Toc View Post
    Way to take the spotlight off of my epic guide ;3

    Gonna report it and ask to move it to Funny IG Mails.

    Just kidding.
    I'll delete it and repost in IGM if you prefer.

  19. #19
    Tic Toc's Avatar
    Join Date
    2009,February 9th
    Location
    ♥♥ (=゚ω゚) ♥♥ (゚Д゚;)
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Nah. Just hoping people won't spam it up causing it to Glechossen before I can post an example of a good propaganda thread.

  20. #20

    Default

    lmao openeye ill admitthat was possiblly one of the funniest bits of mail i have ever read


    btw tic toc great post

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •