Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 40

Default BH's Leadership Guide

Spent quite a while in this game, it is scary to think that it has been three years or so. And after a lot of successes, and also a fair few failures, I can say Bloodhood is being laid to rest. Though this is not a goodbye thread, I made one of those a year ago, and still came back for a last world. No, this is in fact, a sort of guide, or actually more like a collection of tips put together by myself. I'm not going to try make this mind-boggingly complex and in-depth strategy that will confuse and be too ideological. This will simply be some of the best tips and comments on issues that I think a leader would be best reading. It should be useful to beginners and more advanced leaders alike, and I will cover any more issues should there be a request to. I have put the chapters in spoilers, some are quite short, but some are very lengthy. Enjoy.

Leadership role
    Spoiler:

Recruiting
    Spoiler:

Diplomacy
    Spoiler:

Play the game
    Spoiler:

Motivation
    Spoiler:

P&P
    Spoiler:

Pro-activity
    Spoiler:

Vision
    Spoiler:

Numbers
    Spoiler:

Location, Location, Location.
    Spoiler:

To noble or not to noble
    Spoiler:

Fun
    Spoiler:

Thank you for reading if you did

Bloodhood

Read a couple of the chapters just a minute ago. When I have more time I'll look over the others. So far it looks great though.

Keep up the good work.
    Woooooooooooo

i like this im a small tribe leader on 35 and i think i can put alot of these pointers to use but the thing about makeing friends to recruit it can be rather hard great read any way iv only read a few im tierd but i will definately use this in the future
    The Past Is All That Is Gone So Look To The Future With A Open Heart And Mind Because If They Are Closed You Are Not Looking At All

Oh you know, just farming you with my scouts, rams, cats and nobles. You know how it goes.

Good job bloodhood, very informative.
    Last edited by Kriegselend : 2009,July 25th at 12:25
    Quote Originally Posted by Spank86 View Post
    Mindless killing gets you killed, Clever killing lets you grow.

blocked
    Fighting crime! Awesomeness level: 999999 World played: 30, Toasta3000 Music Preference: Metal

POKE, Yup I remember them. W10 was my first world, and POKE actually lasted out until the world war (empire v coalition i think it was called) but the circle did not work and they became a cluster.

Not bad guide.

Darkx approves of this thread.

I taught BH everything I know
    No one man should have that much power

The guide is very good, although I don't think it's going to help anyone. If someone is a bad leader, he's bad leader, your guide won't save him.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Touch View Post
    The guide is very good, although I don't think it's going to help anyone. If someone is a bad leader, he's bad leader, your guide won't save him.
    If someone's a bad Leader, this guide may help them to improve

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Touch View Post
    Thank you for saying the guide is good, though the rest is quite short sighted. As I said in the beginning, good for beginners and more experienced alike. It is not necessarily aimed at bad leaders, and if they are bad leaders then perhaps this would show them for what reason.

It is not a step-by-step guide how to run a tribe, but rather more like a collection of tips and views by myself on what I think are important issues. I did not really see a proper leadership guide out there like this one, so filled the gap. Feedback I have had so far has been hugely positive, on here and .co.uk (where I posted here).

And darkx only thing you taught me was how you had a habit of appearing on every world I have been in

/me would to be mentioned as a proof-reader :p

I liked that, glad you added a bit more about diplomacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Predator View Post
    I guess that is why you arent as good as Galum

No, you got me wrong. The guide is good and can be usefull to normal, resonable people, who know to listen and want to learn.

I was aiming at idiots who are constantly triying to be leaders creating crap premades and stuff. If someone is and idiot, not a thousand guides will help him.

Anyway, I don't really like to flame and trash talk, I'm just irritated by noobs on the forums.

I have a suggestion though. Why don't you add a paragraph about how to act if your tribe gets defeated. I think it's very important that leader accepts defeat with honour, without going crazy on the forums. Or coming with stories like "my parents divorced", "I bought a new puppy, I didn't had time for TW", or the most disgusting ones including lying about death of family members.

I'm not 100% convinced about everything you wrote.
    But I did learn some new things, that I'll be sure to use in the future!

Although I personally think that there's no such things as the perfect guide, yours covers the most need to knows. So thank you!
    Been there, done that...

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhood View Post
    Thank you for saying the guide is good, though the rest is quite short sighted. As I said in the beginning, good for beginners and more experienced alike. It is not necessarily aimed at bad leaders, and if they are bad leaders then perhaps this would show them for what reason.

It is not a step-by-step guide how to run a tribe, but rather more like a collection of tips and views by myself on what I think are important issues. I did not really see a proper leadership guide out there like this one, so filled the gap. Feedback I have had so far has been hugely positive, on here and .co.uk (where I posted here).

And darkx only thing you taught me was how you had a habit of appearing on every world I have been in
    Can't say hi to an old mate whose been playing almost as long as me? :S
    Besides, you know you followz meh <3

You followed me on w11 so it wasn't every world! I haz proof too!!

Besides, Someone needs the tips of xkrad :D
    -.- should've made me duke
    No one man should have that much power

well done, saving this in my faves for my next tribe
    Good Luck :D

Great post Rob!
    Helpful indeed
    http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/yy1/nightbladegreyswandir/Faetzy2.jpg

Just finished reading it Bloodhood, a very very informative and interesting read. A guide from one of the best.

Personally, I think that guides are generally pretty futile, most definitely in this genre. Especially when someone doesn't know the area as well as any other player in the game... but this is the opposite! I can't think of anyone who has higher leading credentials as bloodhood and the content is well written.

I liked the way it justified things rather than give you a set of instructions, leaving them open a little to interpretation. Much more effective, gives an understanding about how to play the game, rather than just being reliant on instructions.

I can't find any faults, maybe a little more advice about how to use the P&P?

This was an AMAZING guide indeed, but I disagree strongly in one point. Democracy. You said that dictatorship (in a matter of speaking) is a more effecient way to run a tribe? Well yes, decisions are made FASTER, but it also increases inactivity and future instability.

Players dont feel a part of the tribe as they are ALWAYS being told what to do and dont get to make ANY decisions... soon they will lose interest for that world and quit, especially the players who like telling others what to do and being important every now and then.

Instability, what happens when the dictator quits?

Also your "best leaders are the best players" theory MIGHTNT apply to all cases ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Sight View Post
    Also your "best leaders are the best players" theory MIGHTNT apply to all cases ^_^
    See King Geldwolf on W24 for proof
    Ex-Baron of MANIC

Quote Originally Posted by Sight View Post
    This was an AMAZING guide indeed, but I disagree strongly in one point. Democracy. You said that dictatorship (in a matter of speaking) is a more effecient way to run a tribe? Well yes, decisions are made FASTER, but it also increases inactivity and future instability.

Players dont feel a part of the tribe as they are ALWAYS being told what to do and dont get to make ANY decisions... soon they will lose interest for that world and quit, especially the players who like telling others what to do and being important every now and then.

Instability, what happens when the dictator quits?

A very good point, since I have often wondered myself the link between activity and leadership. If players are more involved in the role of a tribe would they be more active? I think often it depends entirely upon the player, but yes undoubtedly it would do.

But having a one leader system doesn't mean that suddenly you don't let others have roles also or that you do not take input at all. And this is often where my argument hinges that a one leader system can work. For this reason; if there is only one leader and every other player is on the same level in that tribe, it empowers every member and gives them more importance than if there were several barons etc. I encourage players to take an active role in their area, in recruiting I often let others befriend players as the obvious motive is considerably less. They are also given a free role in coordinating, and are allowed to openly express their opinion on a forum and are encourage to do so when I bring up issues for which a tribe can debate.

Not having players in designated positions does not mean you cannot involve them in the way a tribe is ran. In much the same way as I give reasoning in this guide, I do to the tribe, and they are allowed to argue their point with their own reasoning; I've always disliked the leaders who go around saying 'trust me' or use their position to get decisions through rather than assuring the tribe that it is the right thing to do.

I once came up with an idea that would allow a one leader system, whilst delegating roles downwards to allow members that want to take an active part in leadership being able to do without detracting from the leadership. What that was was an ambassadorial/expert system. Players would be welcome to volunteer for a position in which they are assigned a tribe or two, and would then be the expert or ambassador to that tribe. So they would be in charge of befriending leaders and players in that tribe, spying if necessary, small diplomacy matters and building up a strong detailed knowledge of that tribe, so that when the leader needs to know more about that tribe they can do quickly, or if they needed a spy network, it is already in place, and should that tribe be needed to approached for any type of coalition or anything you can think of, you are already on talking basis with this tribe through your player, so that there is some foundations of trust and less suspected motive there. The basics of the system is, a player is designated a tribe and given a free hand, their word is not official, but the tribe is their responsibility (without being overly hostile). I never tried this system, but I always thought that perhaps I might do, perhaps someone has tried something similar or will do, who knows.

But as I say, I have mostly worked with consented dictatorship, having the players trusting and happy with the leader, if they had to vote, they would vote that leader, so surely the leader is trusted anyway? Then extra ways to allow others to give opinions and take some responsibility will follow. Whilst as I said earlier on in the guide, instability can be solved with more and more council like leadership as you progress, where an instable leadership early on is likely to fail anyway.

A good point to bring up though

And a low rank does not mean someone does not know how to play the game well, just means they don't play as much, and I did say best

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast