Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 60
  1. #1

    Default Startup Guide by Tedeni, rev2

    This guide assumes several things:

    1. You are an offensive player and prefer starting up with pure-offense or at least a higher ratio of offense to defense.
    2. You should first know some basic terms commonly used in tribal wars.
    3. It is recommended you have played at least two worlds before attempting to follow this guide.
    4. That you have high activity. If you cannot reach a level of activity that you are comfortable with, I recommend you find a coplayer. You will need to be farming for more than 10 hours per day.

    With this startup guide you will be aiming for 3 things. If you do not plan to aim for these things then feel free to follow a different guide:

    1. An almost complete nuke by the time you're ready to noble.
    2. A full 4-noble train. You won't be nobling until you have a full train ready. (3 nobles on package worlds)
    3. A village with efficient building levels by the time you have a train ready. This includes: high barracks, high stable, balanced resource income.


    Recommended browser: Opera
    Press ctrl+F12 -> preferences -> advanced -> shortcuts -> Enable single-key shortcuts

    Use 1 and 2 to switch quickly between tabs. This can be used for almost anything requiring multiple tabs, including farming.


    Got a few negative comments from my original post because of the farming method I suggested. Because it seems to be a sensitive issue I will not comment much on farming methods this time round. I will justify what I said last time by saying now that despite what people may have said or think, I was very successful using that method. I enjoy experimenting with new styles of playing and I found that method to be successful. To each his own.

    However as far as scouts go, I recommend you build as many as needed but not much more than that. Once you have 300+ LC and have a decent income then this changes slightly as you have the resources to support the recruitment of "additional scouts which you *may* need".


    Something to understand: during startup, highest rank doesn't always indicate the best player. A rank 5 player could easily be in a better situation than the rank 1 player. However, in general, a high rank comes with a good startup strategy. It is not a requirement for a good startup, it is a result. Note the difference.

    Notes on headquarters
    Spoiler:



    I won't be explaining step by step on how to reach LC. There are other guides for that, and this guide is for those who don't enjoy looking at a guide every 3 hours to see what to do next. The general concept here is to be understood, and then it can be applied without needing to constantly re-read.

    Optional reading/links for more detailed building levels before LC research:
    Nauzhror startup guide: http://forum.tribalwars.co.uk/showthread.php?t=265
    Purple Predator startup guide:
    http://forum.tribalwars.net/showpost...2&postcount=16

    ...and on with this guide.

    1. Plan for pure-offense.
    2. Plan for building between 100 and 250 spears at start. 102 spears are need to clear an inactive player's warehouse, 204 allows you to clear two simultaneously, and 250 are to cover losses.
    3. Plan for researching axes before LC.
    4. Plan for researching scouts after LC, unless they are needed urgently.
    5. Split farming runs between about 15 spears and 3 axes per target. When in doubt, use the simulator.
    6. Scout and farm low point player villages as soon as beginner protection is off. Below around 90 points you can farm without scouting.
    7. A few swords can be built before you research axes if there is a huge surplus of iron, as it allows you to split up your spears sooner. Do not go much beyond 20 swords until you have LC and a decent income, assuming going beyond 20 swords is your goal.
    8. Until you have significant income, don't build more scouts than absolutely necessary.
    9. Early-on, as a general rule, when faced with a choice of upgrades or troops, choose troops.


    Once you have LC, everything from this point onwards that you upgrade will either slow you down, or speed things up. What most guides, even the high-level guides sometimes miss, is the timing of the HQ rush, and as to whether you rush HQ before or after getting workshop, as mentioned before. If you go straight for workshop soon after hitting LC, then you'll have a slightly less efficient startup. Keep your smithy at lvl 5 unless having a workshop early becomes absolutely necessary.

    Early on you're going to have problems with resources. You've just started building LC, and you can't always keep the HQ running. To counter this delay, use this time to balance your resource mines, and to upgrade your stable, within reason. The aim is to have the stable running 24/7 a few hours after these upgrades. Having your stable around lvl 7 when that time comes is better than having it at lvl 3, because the stable does take a long time to upgrade.

    Keeping resources balanced with consistent farming isn't too straightforward. Sometimes you can rely on the market, sometimes not. Farming hauls in your area could be skewed in favor of a specific resource, so there is leeway for change here. However I have found that assuming that farming is balanced, (timeframe: just before you begin the HQ rush), these resource levels generally work well:

    Timber: 11 - 12

    Clay: 1 - 5

    Iron: 16 - 18
    Keep on lvl 1 until about a day before you are able to research LC, in which case you upgrade to around lvl 5 (higher is ok) and if an imbalance does occur, store 1000 iron in lvl 1 market temporarily.

    If there is a serious iron deficiency nearer the time when you are HQ rushing, queueing a HQ or barracks upgrade is often a good way to burn up the excess wood & clay.

    Before and after the HQ rush
    Spoiler:



    The headquarter rush gives you a false impression on your rank, temporarily boosting rank, and then leveling off or dropping your rank once the HQ is complete. This may differ if you rush it significantly high, such as HQ27. The point I'm making here is that you should ignore your rank during this period, and indeed, during the remainder of the startup stage.

    By all means, embrace your fun side and celebrate your rank after you have nobled a bunch of decent villages. After all, what is the point of playing a game if you're not having fun?

    I cannot cover all aspects of startup in a single guide, but hopefully by reading this you have a better idea of how to proceed with such an offensive strategy. I have achieved top 5 startups in all my core-start worlds since I began using this strategy myself. I have seen other players successfully using very similar strategies; the proof is in the results - the rest is up to you.


    I will end the guide here this time, removing section 3 (defending) and section 4 (post train launch checks) as some people seemed to think that they were out of place. If you wish to learn how to defend or learn about train checks then there are other guides available on those topics.

    For defense a good start would be this, for covering the basics:

    http://s1.postimage.org/rcla530rd/Gu...al_support.png
    (I did not make that image, credits go to the creator)
    Last edited by Tedeni : 2011,July 10th at 16:41 Reason: revision 2 (update)
    My sig is outdated. No, I don't want a new one.

  2. #2

    Default

    I skimmed it. Fairly good overall. I disagree with so few scouts. Efficient farming requires scouts, and I rarely have under 100-150 before nobling. It also helps against people scouting you ;)
    My username has no bearing on my posts, sadly. I really am quite egotistical.

    [2/12/2011 8:39:38 PM] Jon / Morthy: ah shit, now im rank 1

  3. #3

    Default

    Same as humble. Overall, great guide!
    Depending on activity, I usually go for 100 scouts. This allows me to scout anyone in my 30x30, and bookmark them in a group. I can get constant reports and can alculate the best farms, and when exactly to hit which village, and with what troops. It's very efficient for farming.
    I be needin' a leet siggeh maker!

  4. #4

    Default

    This seems pretty good, however there were a couple things I wanted to comment upon.

    HQ:
    Something you left out is that your HQ level is also going to be largely effected by the world speed/troop speed. The higher the troop speed in comparison to world speed, the higher the HQ level you'll be able to maintain, since your troops will be moving at a faster rate than normal (in comparison to building speed), allowing you to collect more resources.. The opposite is true for a lower troop speed compared to world speed. Also, you briefly touched on HQ level being impacted by circumstances. Whilst a level 20 is too low, a level 25 can be fairly high, especially for a 1/1 speed world. This is true in any kind of early world fight that ties up critical troops needed for farming. It can also be the case if you have another active starter in your area, stealing resources.

    Defense:
    This was a bigger issue for me. You stated
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedeni View Post
    3. Attacker is using rams and you have several tribemates within support range: build walls, and have your tribemates coordinate defense to land at the same time.
    That's a wonderful idea, but the majority of the time players following these strats are in a tribe with similar players. If everyone has near pure offense, where does the defense come from? This isn't such an issue during the first couple weeks, unless an enemy likes to use cats, but around the time when nobles start coming out, how do you plan on stopping a train?

    Even on a packet world where you're limited to having just 3 nobles in your first village, I'll often cotrain with a tribe member to eliminate any pesky backtiming. I've noticed that the easiest opponents to eliminate are the guys that went pure offensive because as long as you keep a decent amount of troops (few hundred axe or lc) with each noble, they could try to snipe your train and it wouldn't even work because offense fails at defending.

    I'm not saying you need half a defensive village, but you should have enough defense to be able to contribute to a group support effort if a tribemate comes under heavy attack, since after all you'll want the help if it's ever you, and enough to be able to snipe a train.

    Trains:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedeni View Post
    On non-archer worlds, nobles can be sent with axes or LC, as whether the noble dies or not is purely based on the total percentage of accompanying troops that die. For example, 50 LC + noble, assume 49 LC die, the noble will survive.
    Wrong. Non-archer worlds have the standard 50%. As long as at least 50% of your troops survive, the noble will survive. If more than 50% die, the noble dies.

    Scouts:
    I agree with the posts above me. Especially if you're on a world that requires 5 scouts be sent for them to survive, you'll want a much higher amount.

  5. #5

    Default

    8. Don't go more than 30 - 40 scouts in your first village; you'll need 10 or less early on.
    the couple hundred I have by nobling must be a huge waste

    Basically follow any high quality guide to LC rush. (guides from Nauzhror, Purple Predator, etc.) You'll want to have LC already by the time you exit beginner protection. If you can't get that right, then either beginner protection setting for your world is shorter than usual, or you are doing something wrong.
    I've never had lc by the end of beginning protection...then again my start up does suck

    What most guides, even the high-level guides sometimes miss, is the timing of the HQ rush, and as to whether you rush HQ before or after getting workshop.
    Eh? You didn't explain that at all...you aren't allowed to complain about others and then not elaborate.

    Early on you're going to have problems with resources. You've just started building LC, and you can't always keep the HQ running. To counter this delay, use this time to balance your resource mines, and to upgrade your stable. Yes you won't be keeping your stable running 24/7 yet, but you will soon enough, and having your stable around lvl 7 when that time comes is better than having it at lvl 3, because the stable does take a long time to upgrade.
    No, simply no. You should never ever waste resources on something you can't use that early and stables upgrades to keep the hq running are just plain stupid. Stick to either walls or smithy levels if you're desperate. Never ever upgrade hq/rax/stables beyond lc requirements if they aren't running constantly.

    Timber: 11 - 12
    If you only plan on getting about 100 spears, then keep timber around lvl 7. Any more than 100 and you may need to upgrade to 8 or 9. A while after researching LC, you should need to upgrade to around 11 - 12 as suggested above.

    Clay: 5
    Upgrade to 6 or 7, but not unless absolutely neccesary; you'll be surprised at how long you can keep clay this low: I was able to get to academy without clay deficiency on several startups. Each startup I can consider a top 20 startup, since I was in the top 20 upon academy completion.

    Iron: 17
    Keep on lvl 1 until about a day before you are able to research LC, in which case you upgrade to around lvl 5 (higher is ok) and if an imbalance does occur, store 1000 iron in lvl 1 market temporarily. I was sometimes tempted to make iron 18, but later on with consistent HQ and Barracks upgrades, 17 kept things balanced - though if large enough iron deficiency does occur, then do go for lvl 18.
    No the timber thing is stupid, you can't have excess timber as it will go straight to market at good profit. The way you have phrased this section is also awkward. This sticks out especially for iron when you first say get 5 lvls, and then assume the person has gotten it to 17. This high an iron mine will take up a lot of resources if you get it so early and the higher the level the more time it takes to actually turn a profit in the resource concerned. Something that ought to be considered in this analysis.

    There is also no mention of the use of the market a vital part to balancing resources for the active starter.

    Wall: 1 (do not upgrade wall beyond 1)
    This is foolish, early on when you cannot afford anything else is a great time to get wall level up.


    Now I have tested HQ 23 on several startups, each time I've had more than enough resources to reach it. One world I was constantly in and out of the top 20, until the point that I hit HQ 23. At that point, I was rank 1. From then on after, I dropped slowly in rank as other players built their HQ's above 23 - some players went for 27, some may have gone even higher. (later once nobles were out I was back in the top 5, but until then, the high HQ players dominated the top ranks)
    I keep data on the worlds I play early on. The top player has never gone above hq 25 prior to nobling. Most of the time it's an hq 23 that dominates the top rank. In uk3 an hq 20 did >_>, overtaken only during the last of his smithy lvls.
    Sorry being rank 1 counts for nothing, in most worlds you can just build hq repetitively until you hit it. It's been a long time since I wasn't a top 5 player before nobling, and I've never built hq above 23.

    To get further into this, I keep seeing people boosting their hqs higher for no plausible reason outside of wanting rank, and nobles earlier. The truth is that unless you can queue 3 nobles in a row right after academy finishes (yes I'm talking coin worlds too) and your hq is above 20, you've pissed away resources. Those few hours you save mean jack.

    For newer players, I'll explain why there is the huge imbalance between HQ and other buildings at this stage. You are not academy rushing, point-whoring, nor troop-whoring. What you are aiming for, is to build an efficient village as quickly as possible. If planned correctly, you will have more than sufficient troops, as well as resources. You put high HQ into place BEFORE starting on the buildings that take forever to construct, this includes high level barracks, stable, smithy, etc. You are not aiming for rank 1, you are aiming to build a noble train fast, with massive quantities of troops available by the time you do reach academy stage. If planned correctly, you should be able to mint 10+ coins immediately after you build the academy. Try to avoid canceling any troops queues, as you sacrifice 10% of resources to do so.
    How is this an address to new players? This pointedly assumes familiarity with the game. Mint 10 coins immediately after? Where are we storing these resources? If you've been playing as efficiently as you are assuming you ought to have farm 28 at this point and likely warehouse 25 to juggle farms 29 and 30 in queue. Yes you can store 300k clay on the queue, but then you will not be able to store the iron needed on queue as well.

    Rax: 21 - 24
    Stable: 15 - 18
    Farm: 29 - 30
    Warehouse: 28 - 29
    Warehouse above 25? You assumed an active player warehouse take time and resources so should be avoided while you have the activity to manage...something you're assuming.


    The rest is about random tactics...not startup strategy.

    A good start up player does not play full O. I thought I beat that idea into nauz...

    Your guide is completely and utterly useless in my opinion. You've just spouted the after effect of abusing an account with activity. It doesn't go into any thought at all, doesn't talk about considering things by time frame which is also crucial.

    Additionally the only time you take into account less than full activity is sending troops away when you won't be there. There is so much more to stress in the use of activity, primarily the idea of pushing your resources so that everything is still going but barely just going.




    If you would like my credentials for bashing your guide, then I'm sure I can show something ;)

  6. #6

    Default

    In a tribe based game having no D is bad news I always think of some around for the other player in the tribe who is being catted to death.

    This is a guide for a player after rank & not one who plans to stay around for very long at all.

    I can see the reason behind a large store however morale starts to hit you big time I think most of the time if very active a L26 - 27 is all thats needed.

  7. #7

    Default

    The reason everyone is telling you to have more scouts is because your farming method is horrible. Its terribly ineffective, and also why as you yourself said this start requires a fair amount of activity. Simply put scout before every farm run every time on every village you farm. Im shocked nauz didnt point that out when he read it.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    2009,January 4th
    Location
    IN A RETIREMENT HOME
    Posts
    2,896

    Default

    Plan for pure offense... there's your flaw right there.

    HC Strat. never has failed me, it's saved my ass a few times, so I think some D in the first village is necessary. Also you need more scouts for farming, how do you farm? Your farming must be so insufficient.
    "I told you, I'm never going back." - Neil McCauley

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hedge clippers View Post
    The reason everyone is telling you to have more scouts is because your farming method is horrible. Its terribly ineffective, and also why as you yourself said this start requires a fair amount of activity. Simply put scout before every farm run every time on every village you farm. Im shocked nauz didnt point that out when he read it.
    Probably cause nauz didn't care.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedeni View Post

    Something new players or 20 HQ stickers must realize:

    A lvl 20 HQ is horrible during startup. I have only ever used a 20 HQ startup once, and that was in my first world, mainly due to the terrible guides floating around at the time. Using the 20 HQ felt like I needed to do 10 things at once. I needed to upgrade barracks (rax), stable, smithy, farm, and warehouse at the same time. There was a terrible bottleneck, caused by the lvl 20 HQ - I could not even farm, as the warehouse was full. I may not have been using the most efficient building order as it was my first world, but the bottleneck was so terrible that I'm forced to say that it is impossible to do a 20 HQ startup without hitting some sort of bottleneck. In fact you will probably end up hitting many.

    With a 23 HQ it is possible to avoid a bottleneck, but you will need a good building order, and likely several previous experiences with startups.
    Story time! Once upon a time a player like this started next to me! I was inactive, and unable to keep up.

    The player had a level 25 hq! Fastest way to build an army, I the n00b had a level 20 He had a level 28 farm! I the n00b had a level 23 or 24

    2 days later I had a level 25 hq a level 20 hq a level 24 farm and a level 28 farm

    It was so nice of him to build such an effective village for me.

    Moral of the story. Dont rule anything out

  11. #11
    pyker42's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,June 19th
    Location
    In a Little District, in a Neighborhood.
    Posts
    13,863

    Default

    As has been said, but I feel should be repeated, in the beginning then you should have some sort of a minimal defense. Not only to be able to help support a fellow tribemate, but to also be able to snipe an incoming train without sacrificing a ton of your offense to do so.

    Also, I feel bad for your farming. There are more effective, efficient, and less time consuming ways to farm.
    Spoiler:

    [4:55:14 PM] kentster82: try to be like pyker he is spam master

  12. #12
    Muldie325's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007,June 19th
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    3,734

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedeni View Post
    Wall: 1 (do not upgrade wall beyond 1)
    Sounds very pointwhorish to me!!!!

  13. #13

    Default

    As Nauzhror said, there are many different ways to do things, especially your startup. Whilst there are many methods of starting up that will fail or do poorly, this startup strategy is one I have used and managed to do very well consistently.

    Scouts - I have used many different methods of farming, but after starting to co-play with MrBigChief, we came to the conclusion that the method of farming I mentioned in the OP is the most efficient. You can argue or disagree, but you'll have to tell it to MrBigChief (who has since quit TW) as he was the one who introduced me to that method of farming. World 42 we had almost double the coins than any other player in the world, so don't tell me it's inefficient.

    To me, the farming at startup makes little difference to lategame, if done properly. That said, there's no reason you can't use this guide and also build 100 scouts; I however, have not needed that many for many startups.

    Perhaps I should also have pointed out that as far as the scouts go, this guide is not aimed at worlds that require 5 scouts minimum, simply because that setting disgusts me and I tend to avoid it almost as much as I avoid church worlds.

    Pure offense - This startup guide does plan for pure offense, I'm not going to change that, nor promote a HC startup strategy. There are some players who can pull off a HC startup, but merely the drawback in farming HC leaves you with compared with LC turns me away. When choosing to startup with pure offense, you're making a gamble. You are running with much higher risk, but also greater efficiency. If I get destroyed because I chose pure offense, it was a calculated chance, and I simply try again on another world. There are three paths in this:

    1. pure offense and get cleared/destroyed
    2. mixed startup, safer but less efficient
    3. pure offense, dominate

    For myself I won't go down the middle road again. Been there, done that, and the results for me have been less than great. Sure it's safer, but if it's safety you want, there's always sim city.

    HQ20 - In rare situations, players like Hoang can pull this off efficiently by Academy rushing. This is not my preferred method for several reasons, mainly for lack of barracks levels, stable levels, and troop levels. You can choose whatever method you like, but I will always recommend against keeping HQ at 20.

    2004 Artemis: good point about the HQ level based on troop speed, however the guide is aimed at troop speed 1, in which setting I have already tested it in several times with great results. Trains - typo, meant to put 100 LC instead of 50.

    lardingd: you tell us your startup sucks and then you continue by demeaning just about every point in the guide. Fine, but I'll just respond to some of your points:

    Wall - as my guide plans for pure offense I see little point in a wall. However the main reason why I recommend a player keep their wall at level 1 is that I've seen too many players upgrading wall as high as level 18 with a very low HQ level, often less than HQ lvl 15. Focusing on the wall slows the startup down horribly.

    You should never ever waste resources on something you can't use that early and stables upgrades to keep the hq running are just plain stupid.
    Really? I've already turned down the wall, so that leaves you with choice of the smithy. It is acceptable to upgrade smithy if you intend to get a workshop early, but otherwise try doing as I recommend and upgrade stable. The reason for this is that you are aiming to get benefits out of that HQ's time as quickly as possible. If you are not rushing workshop, then putting HQ time into stable and balancing your mines is your next best bet, because that time will pay off before and during your HQ rush.

    Timber - I didn't have excess timber. If you fear gaining timber in excess then keep your mine down a level or two, it's a close-cut area, a cheap and fast upgrade, so no big deal.

    Iron - there is a huge iron deficiency on the market during startup because loads of players are building LC, so you cannot mess around with a low iron mine unless you get super lucky with several nearby iron bonus villages.

    I keep data on the worlds I play early on.
    Many (in fact most) worlds are not highly competitive at the startup stage. One of the worlds my startup strategy was tested on is W47, aside from using HQ lvl 23 and rushing workshop prematurely, a world which many agree was one of the most competitive startups in a long while. I do feel that my startup there would have been even better had I used a 25 HQ and left the workshop for later.

    The truth is that unless you can queue 3 nobles in a row right after academy finishes (yes I'm talking coin worlds too) and your hq is above 20, you've pissed away resources. Those few hours you save mean jack.
    W47 - I did queue 3 nobles right away, and around the time I began the HQ rush, I never had any more resource problems. In fact I nearly had a resource overflow several times, so it would have been easy to boost the HQ higher. This is again proof that my method of farming is efficient.

    The time saved is days, not hours, if you aim for the building levels recommended in this guide.

    If you would like my credentials for bashing your guide, then I'm sure I can show something ;)
    No thanks. The gist of the matter is my startup has worked successfully several times. My numbers tell me it works well, and in fact it does work well in practice. Maybe your methods work reasonably well too, but if you have worked out your own decent startup strategy, then feel free to write your own guide.

    busamad
    This is a guide for a player after rank & not one who plans to stay around for very long at all.
    No, this is a guide for someone planning an efficient startup; rank is secondary. I've passed the million points milestone several times after a pure offense startup, so aside from the small risk in the beginning, a player can easily plan to stick around for a long time with this guide. It does not mean you need to go pure offense all the way to 100 villages and beyond - you can start building defense villages as soon as you begin using nobles.
    Last edited by Tedeni : 2010,May 1st at 13:23
    My sig is outdated. No, I don't want a new one.

  14. #14

    Default

    Tedeni my point is that you've made a guide that is the aftereffect of activity abuse. Anyone who uses activity abuse moderately well will get the stats similar to what's in your guide. They will also get a top 20 ranking, because activity abuse done moderately well will make almost any player who isn't unlucky a top 20 player.

    Apparently you missed my sarcasm about not being good at startup...

    So here are some credentials for you.

    Last 4 worlds played

    w27,w36,uk3,w49

    w27:Myself and my cositter ->stably rank 3,1 until nobling-> moved into rank 2 shortly thereafter. Co-sitter (robj) first to fill lvl 30 farm. Debatable between myself and the rank 2 because he got lvl 30 farm within hours of myself. I was first player to have a 9k+ village in this world, my cositter 2nd. Both of us stopping at lvl 23 hq.

    w36:I joined this 5-6 days in, by the time people were nobling I was top 5-10, can't remember exactly. I was one of the first couple to fill a lvl 30 farm as well. No sitters or coplayers ever touched this account.

    uk3:By nobling stable into rank 2, rank 1 had stopped at lvl 20 hq, I had stopped at lvl 23 hq. I was first to fill lvl 30 farm. First to have a village above 9k points. Single player account.

    w49:I'm still there so you can see the effect of my startup. http://en49.tribalwars.net/guest.php...yer&id=8489786 Though beat to lvl 30 farm by a few hours, still had more troops than said person, and filled it first.

    Edit: It's readily available so here's the top 2 villages of w49
    9853 golden! 001 hablard 6,897 520|600 K65 <- mine hq is 23
    3509 Settings -] Start Over Brain Bubbles 5,984 550|492 K45 <- not mine hq is 25

    Feel free to ask nauz about my start up prowess as well. I'm able to outplay so many of the activity abusers because of the details that I've critiqued here...I'm sick of people saying their thing works. I was rank 2 on my first core world into nobling....did I not change because it had worked? No that would have been stupid. I'm saying your guide is useless because it is.

    EDIT:
    Many (in fact most) worlds are not highly competitive at the startup stage. One of the worlds my startup strategy was tested on is W47, aside from using HQ lvl 23 and rushing workshop prematurely, a world which many agree was one of the most competitive startups in a long while
    Every world where enough forum players play becomes a world with highly competitive start up. I have no will to start every world to show overrated players.
    Last edited by lardingd : 2010,May 1st at 14:58

  15. #15

    Default

    This guide fails at so many points, I can't be bothered to point it out. Lard has the gist of it.

    The one thing that astounds me is that you expect your tribe mates to save your ass when you get someone catting you or sending a train at you. And you expect them to do it behind a level 1 wall (at the stage where you have cats or trains incoming you should have many hour queues in HQ, and getting wall from 1 to an effective level takes many hours in addition to the queue already there).

    I coplay lard on W49 right now. Check out our ODD. That's just on our own D (about 5% of our own D recieved in support). You can still get D without getting ineffective.

  16. #16

    Default

    If I get destroyed because I chose pure offense, it was a calculated chance, and I simply try again on another world.

    Thats the bit that sticks out yes players join worlds for many reasons. I see this guide not helping the average player at all, infact if not mega active see them lasting even less than they do at present.

    I also always wonder how you deal with the back time / snipe when your troops are out farming all the time or is that when you claim you were not taking the world serious & start the next.

  17. #17

    Default

    lardingd you have a different strategy that works - that's fine, as I said if you want to show others how to do it then make your own guide.

    Mine is not based on activity abuse, the strategy can be used with low levels of activity, just logging in several times throughout the day for short periods of time. However as is true in most, if not all cases, it gets better with increased activity.

    Quote Originally Posted by habla
    The one thing that astounds me is that you expect your tribe mates to save your ass when you get someone catting you or sending a train at you.
    Did I say that? No, I don't expect tribemates to save me if I have a level 1 wall, and I don't expect anyone within my 40x40 to get a train before me.

    If the guide fails as you think, then why are the results positive? Give it a try if you doubt me.
    My sig is outdated. No, I don't want a new one.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedeni View Post
    lardingd you have a different strategy that works - that's fine, as I said if you want to show others how to do it then make your own guide.
    Step ahead of you ;). Or should I say over a year ahead of you? You've inspired me to go back to working on it.

    Also, what I've pointed out in your guide are stupidities that are just plain inefficent not matters of differing strategy. It's important you understand that and don't give me the same line that almost every other person who hits rank 1 at some point (this includes so many hundreds of players now) gives when they're criticized.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedeni View Post
    Did I say that? No, I don't expect tribemates to save me if I have a level 1 wall, and I don't expect anyone within my 40x40 to get a train before me.
    Yes you did.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedeni View Post
    Wall: 1 (do not upgrade wall beyond 1)

    ...


    3. Attacker is using rams and you have several tribemates within support range: build walls, and have your tribemates coordinate defense to land at the same time.
    You assume the attacker will use rams or nobles. What if he uses cats? Many players in your area will get cats before you get nobles. And even if they didn't, you can't noble all of them. You are also either forgetting the time it takes to build the queue already in HQ and the wall levels needed for the wall to become effective, or you are suggesting that the queue already in HQ should be removed. Which might result in overflow, not enough farm space (if farm is in queue), resources plundered and many hours wasted.

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by busamad View Post
    If I get destroyed because I chose pure offense, it was a calculated chance, and I simply try again on another world.

    Thats the bit that sticks out yes players join worlds for many reasons. I see this guide not helping the average player at all, infact if not mega active see them lasting even less than they do at present.

    I also always wonder how you deal with the back time / snipe when your troops are out farming all the time or is that when you claim you were not taking the world serious & start the next.
    That's exactly what he is saying. His attitude is to leave if it doesn't go his way. It seems he's not interested in fighting if he gets too heavy resistance. As you said, he can always leave and say he wasn't playing serious.

    The thing the OP should consider is that most players don't want to start the next world all the time. They want to do good on the world they are playing, with the tribe they are playing with. They don't just hop once the going gets tough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •