Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Default The Search Function and how to use it

The search function and how to use it:

As you should understand, due to the title of this thread, and indeed the title of this individual post. Given at this time, I am presently, the Moderator of the Scripts and Independent Tools forum, the below will be somewhat themed towards said forum, though, it's information is true across all forums on TribalWars.net. The information presented below, should be read in an image, explanation manner, which is to say I will present an image, and beneath it, I will explain. I will be using colored boxes to represent screen areas of interest.

Red section:
    Alright, this is going to be the simplest section, and at the same time, the most important step in finding anything your looking for on the tribalwars forum. We are going to start the entire process, by, and please, make sure your following me, by clicking on the Search Button, which is located approximately in the middle of what I refer to as, the information bar. Please, click here now.

Right, moving on, hopefully, we have activated the search box dropdown, if not, please repeat step one.

Red section:
    We are going to continue the process, by entering something related to what we are actually looking to find, inside the text box. In this instance, I will be looking for a script to assist in farming. As such, we are going to use a few short words related to what we need. It should be noted, the less "specific" we are, the more results we are likely to get, however, it should also be noted, that this is a double edged sword. If we are too "specific", we are unlikely to find many results, however, if we are to "vague" (non "specific"). It is... annoying when this happens as we will be forced to wait 60 seconds, before the search system will allow us to attempt to search again, so, try and get it right the first time.

Once we have entered our "Key Words" into the text box, we will be selecting either to view threads, or to view individual posts. In most cases, we will be looking to find threads, and as such, it is the default option. In occasion however, if we have seen what we were looking previously, and are simply struggling to locate it, we can be much more "specific" in our "Key Words", and select to search for posts. The process is however almost identical, and as such, I expect you will be intuitive enough to figure it out upon completion of the tutorial.

Now that we've entered "Farm script" (or whatever your particular "Key Words" were) into the text box, and selected our search type (threads or posts), we will click the "GO" button, and await our results on the next page load.

Red section:
    Now, we are looking at our search results, you will notice that we didn't really achieve an overly "appropriate" result, and were only shown a very limited number of threads that are likely to contain what we are looking for.

As such, lets move onto "Advanced Searching".

Red section:
    We are going to repeat step one, and once again click search, to bring up the Search Box Dropdown, but this time, rather than entering search parameters, we are going to select the "Advanced Search" option, which will bring us to the Advanced Search page.

Right, welcome to the Advanced Search Page. On this page, we are able to be far more specific about what we are looking for, and where we want to look. This is of course most useful in either finding things that we know the general location of, or, in eliminating areas that we know that what we are searching for, is highly unlikely to reside in.

Red section:
    In the red section, we see a slightly more complex version of the simple search function. Essentially, it is the same thing, and can be treated as such. If we need to have a more advanced search, then we will have to use the capabilities of the other colored sections.

Orange / Peach section:
    We have the option of specifying a player name, as an alternative to using keywords. In this situation, again we have the option to search for either threads, or posts, however, we are unable to specify "Key Words" for this search, and will be presented only with as a list of threads / posts, dependent on choices.

Purple section:
    In the purple section, we are able to specify details regarding well, details of the threads or posts we are looking for, including date information, total replies, the order in which we want the results presented, and once again, we can specify either posts, or threads.

Green section:
    In the green section, we are essentially only able to do one thing. That one thing, is specify the location, or locations (by using the control key (Ctrl or Cntrl, on the main section of your keyboard). The option to "search in child forums" will allow us to search sub forums. The best example of a sub forum, would be the General section of the forum, which is the Master forum, or "Parent Forum" of the "General", "Questions", and "Suggestions and Discussions forums". Or as you will see visually on the list, the section below any section, where the section is tabbed in, or indented.

You'll notice that this time around (after using the advance search to specify we were only interested in threads from the scripts forum), we have a much more helpful search result.

Red section:
    In the red section, I've boxed in threads that by title, are likely to be referring to what we want, or to something very similar. I have also used red to box in threads that have enough posts that they are likely going to be useful to us.

Orange / Peach section:
    In the orange section, I have boxed in threads who's titles do not give the direct implication that they maybe useful, but, they do warrant further investigation.

Blue section:
    In the blue section, I've taken note that these threads have to low of a post count for it to be remotely likely that they will be helpful to us. As such, these should be ignored.

Main Topic
    Now that we have isolated our threads of interest, they should be investigated one or two at a time, ust glancing over them quickly to find what we are after. If of course we don't find what we are after in the red sections, we should move onto the orange sections, and if we still can't find it, we take a look at the blue sections, as a last ditch effort. If we still cannot find what we are looking for, we should attempt to do another search, with different Key Words, that are of course still related to what we want. Only after LEGITIMATELY attempting multiple times using the search function, ONLY THEN, should you make a new thread detailing what you are looking for.

Forum mods, and Admins have a tough job, keeping track of everything going on in their areas, lets not go making things harder for them then we have to.

Remember, it maybe easier to get what you want when you ask, but people will like you more if you find it yourself.
    Last edited by File Not Found : 2010,November 23rd at 00:53
    Sig by Rake ... Punish the innocent, reward the guilty.

Forum mods, and Admins have a tough ob, keeping track of everything going on in their areas, lets not go making things harder for them then we have to.
    Since this is such a great post. I want to make sure it is perfect. Not ob, it should be job.

Just want to emphasize, this is one of the best written posts regarding how to use the search function (only one?) - awesome job FNF
    Last edited by aakminer1234 : 2010,November 22nd at 19:57 Reason: Lol - first
    - Looking for a Sig Pic -
    Spoiler:

Working on Signature

Can I just ask folk to be careful when replying to old threads

I was looking for some info recently and found quite a few posts on the same subject but no actual answer.

Once I found the answer I posted it on the threads I found.
    Mods had a word in my ear and pointed out any one searching in future would find the answer in the first thread I'd replied to.

So remember dont be tempted to answer the same query in multiple old threads

Very nice thread. I've never really given the advanced options of the search tool a good look until now

Very nice thread (guide?). I usually cba to use the search option because it requires a lot of effort, but I might get around to using it sometime now.
    Spoiler:

aakminer @ It was very difficult to type an entire post without the use of the key between h and k. It is also very difficult to script without it. However, due to recent unforseen system failure, I beat the crap out of my keyboard, and two buttons no longer work. The key between h and k is one of them.

lonestar @ Yeah, thanks for the reminder, I will modify the last image at some point to reflect your comment.

Oscar the Grouch @ I'd say it's more of a rant than a guide. xP

It was written bassically as a response to the constant double ups, and people creating new threads all the time to ask for the same things in the script section. You wouldn't believe the number of new threads being created by people looking for a sequential farming script / fake script, etc.

This is awesome.
    I'll put it in my library later tonight.

Ironically, I expect this to fade off into something after page 2, which of course, defeats its purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by File Not Found View Post
    Ironically, I expect this to fade off into something after page 2, which of course, defeats its purpose.
    STIKYZORZ!

I feel like with all of the skickies, we will soon be needing a section entitled General and Questions Related Stickies.
    My username has no bearing on my posts, sadly. I really am quite egotistical.

[2/12/2011 8:39:38 PM] Jon / Morthy: ah shit, now im rank 1

Stickied in scripts section.

Oh the powaa, 'tis going to my head.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar1 View Post
    Can I just ask folk to be careful when replying to old threads

I was looking for some info recently and found quite a few posts on the same subject but no actual answer.

Once I found the answer I posted it on the threads I found.
    Mods had a word in my ear and pointed out any one searching in future would find the answer in the first thread I'd replied to.

So remember dont be tempted to answer the same query in multiple old threads
    I think there is an option for vBulletin where if a thread is more then x number of days old you get an warning message appear