Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 46

Default A quick guide to quick-bar links...

I think that the quick bar is one of the most useful features of a premium account, but only if it is used to its full potential. However, when I first got my premium account, I was put off by the fact that I didn't understand how to put my own links in there, nor did I know where or if I could find any information to help me. I had to go trawling through the forums to find enough information to allow me to begin to understand how the quick bar can be used. I will try to explain this in the most basic terms so that anyone can understand it.

Hopefully this guide will help those new to premium who want to get the most out of its exta features (and maybe Ill help a few older players in the process, Im not sure how common this knowledge is). I thought that seen as there seems to be no guide to using the quick bar, it was about time somebody wrote one...

(by the way, if anyone spots any glaring errors in my guide please point them out. If the mods like this and think other players might find it useful, can they please sticky it.)

Anyway, I suppose the best place to start would be to suggest how you might find your quick bar useful. You can use your quick bar to access almost any game link in just a single click, potentially saving yourself time in the long run. That is what having premium is all about, anyway. The best way for me to demonstrate this is with an example:

Your Basic Quick Link

Lets say that you want to be able to access your recruitment screen in your village. How would you go about creating the link that would allow you to do this?...

The first think you need to do is to find the URL (address) of the recruit page. This is easily done by hovering over the recruit link in your village overview screen and checking the link's properties (right click > properties). You need to know which part of the link is the relevant part for your quick bar link. In my case, the recruit link looks like this:

Code:
    http://en11.tribalwars.net/game.php?village=204627&screen=train
    The section you need to copy into your Edit Quick Bar page is marked in red. Copy it to your clipboard (CTRL + C). Now, in your Edit Quick Bar page (Settings > Edit Quick Bar), click "Add new link" and give your link a name*. In the Target-URL field enter "{game}" followed by the copied part of the link you just found:

Code:
    {game}&screen=train
    *You can also give your link an image to make it look pretty, though this isnt necessary. I use the following for my links: http://www.tribalwarsmap.com/favicon.ico

This link will take you to the recruit screen of whatever village you currently have selected. But what if you want to go to the recruit screen of a specific village, from any other village? In this case, you simply need to add to the link described above...

At this point, I should probably insert a breif explanation of how the link works, so you can better understand how to write them yourself. Skip this next section if you are not interested...
    Quote Originally Posted by me, right here
    The word after the "&" is called a variable, and the word after the "=" is its value, and together they tell your browser where you want to go by changing the URL (these may not be technically correct names, but these are the names I will give them in this guide). Each variable can have different values; for example, the "screen" variable can have values like "train", "barracks" and "storage" which will take you to the recruit page, barracks and warehouse respectively. Changing the value of the variable will change where the link takes you. Essentially, the quick bar links tell your browser which variables in the URL to change and what to change them to.
    Village-Specific Links

Ok, still with me here? Now as I said, to make each link village-specific you will need to add in another variable to your quick bar link: the village id variable. This, together with the "screen" variable, specifies to your browser that you want to go to a specific village and then into the recruit screen of that village. To find the id of a specific village, check the properties of each village overview link in your overview screen and copy the following. As an example, here is the URL for one of my villages:

Code:
    http://en11.tribalwars.net/game.php?village=204627&screen=overview
    You can then paste this into the Target-URL field on your Edit Quick Bar page before (or after, the order doesn't seem to matter) the "screen" variable. It should now look like this:

Code:
    {game}&village=204627&screen=train
    Remember that each separate variable has to have a "&" before it, otherwise your browser will ignore it. This link will now take you to the recruit page of the village with the stated id number. Convenient, no? Well there is maybe one more thing you might like to do. Perhaps you want to go to a specific tab of a specific building in a certain village? In this case, you have yet another variable to add in: the "mode" variable...

Tab-specific Links

Lets say, for example, that you want to go to the Losses tab in the rally point of one of your villages. To go to the rally point in a certain village, you have the following link (found using the method above):

Code:
    {game}&village=204627&screen=place
    To add the "mode" variable, simply find its value using the above method and paste it into your link:

Code:
    {game}&village=204627&screen=place&mode=losses
    And hey presto, you can access the losses page of that village instantly.

Dodging with the quick bar

I am adding this part after somebody asked me in-game how it could be done. It's an idea that I believe some players already use, and so I thought I would share it with those who don't. This link will allow you to send all your troops ouf of a village in just 2 clicks, from anywhere in the game, as it takes you straight to the attack confirmation screen. To create a link that will dodge all troops from a village you will need an attack report because you are going to make use of the "Attack again with all troops" link at the bottom (make sure your report is archived; if it is deleted, the report id will be invalid). Normally the link will repeat the attack from the village it was originally sent from, but it is quite simple to alter the link so that you can either specify a different village from which to dodge, or not specify one at all, thus dodging from the currently selected village. To find the relevant section of the link, find the destination URL. It should look like this:

Code:
    http://enxx.tribalwars.net/game.php?village=xxxxxx&screen=place&try=confirm&type=same&report_id=xxxxxx
    The red part is the bit you want. Paste this into a new quick-bar link and prefix it with {game} to get

Code:
    {game}&village=xxxxxx&screen=place&try=confirm&type=same&report_id=xxxxxx
    To make the link dodge from the village currently selected, delete the "&village=xxxxxx" part of the link. To make the link dodge from a specific village, simply change the village id number to that of the desired village. Incase anyone is wondering, this type of quick-bar link it entirely legal because it makes use of existing premium features.

Finally, a few points to remember...

1. You don't always need to include the "&village=" variable in your link. If you like, you can leave it out, and the link will take you to whatever page you specified in the village currently selected. In the example above where I linked to the "losses" tab of the rally point, leaving out the "&village=" variable would just take me to the losses tab of whichever village I currently have selected.

2. The order of the variables in your link doesn't appear to matter (I tried swaping them in my own links and they weren't affected). However, for the sake of clarity I recommend having them in the above order i.e. "village", then "screen" and then "mode".

3. If you are specifying a tab within a building, remember to first specify which building you want to go to. You can simply copy everything in the link that comes after a "&" (remembering to include the & itself) into your Target-URL.

Hopefully you now know enough to allow you to experiment making your own links. I hope I didn't leave out anything important or make any stupid mistakes, if I did please let me know! Now, go and experiment with your quick bar and see what clever and time-saving links you can invent...
    Last edited by adam1503 : 2008,July 24th at 23:49
    Quote Originally Posted by Rypsterbull View Post
    Adam doesn't forget to give infractions btw xD

Nice Guide, is there a way to open like twstats in a new tab on ff, and if so how would you code it?

-wolf

Look closely,when you edit a quick bar link,there is an option on the bottom where it say's open forum in a new window,on mozilla it opens in a new tab,in Ie in opens in a new window.

ah ok, i should look more closely!! thanks jack

Or you just use middle click or ctrl + click on any link to open in new tab...mozilla or IE...

i made a great thread whit a lot of the quick-bar tools from tribalwars.nl

its now waiting to be excepted.

Quote Originally Posted by servy View Post
    Or you just use middle click or ctrl + click on any link to open in new tab...mozilla or IE...
    Also, you can set your browser to open all links in a new tab by default.

Not a bad guide you've got there, but I think it should probably be in General.

Also, about tabs... In Firefox on a Windows PC go to Tools > Options > Tabs
    Where it says "New pages should be opened in:" choose "a new tab"

Quote Originally Posted by servy View Post
    This only half works in terms of opening your tribal forum if it is an internal game forum. It will open it up in another tab yes but it will still be sectioned off into a corner with all of the village selections and what not around it. Where if you select the link to open forum in a new window it gets the whole screen to itself with nothing extra to take up the screen space.

Thanks for the guide... I had premium and I didn't even use that quickbar, but now I might actually put it to good use. Order of the "variables" shouldn't matter as they are all passed in at the same time when the page is jumped to.

brilliant guide =) thanks for helping me out i been dying to fix that.
    NUKE - Just Kill It!
    Came back W43 anyone?

Thanks guys, glad you like it

Quote Originally Posted by Mogman1 View Post
    This only half works in terms of opening your tribal forum if it is an internal game forum. It will open it up in another tab yes but it will still be sectioned off into a corner with all of the village selections and what not around it. Where if you select the link to open forum in a new window it gets the whole screen to itself with nothing extra to take up the screen space.

Thanks for the guide... I had premium and I didn't even use that quickbar, but now I might actually put it to good use. Order of the "variables" shouldn't matter as they are all passed in at the same time when the page is jumped to.

If you want to get rid of that stuff then you can simply open one of the links in the forum in another tab and close the origional, but at least this way you have the option of leaving that stuff there.

is there a way for seeing the merchant status and storage status in 1 screen?
    w21 PUFFIN

Not on the same screen, because they are on different pages in your village. But you could make links to each one separately.

Default Wiki Entry

I created a Wiki page on this topic now. If anyone wants to add anything to it (Here's looking at you, adam1503) be my guest. I have a link to this tutorial on it as well.

http://wiki.tribalwars.net/wiki/Quick_Bar

I don't have prmeium so I barely understand it, but nice job nonetheless

Really digging the guide, some stuff that I knew already but a lot that I didn't. Very complete and helpful, thanks

Thanks Mim, glad you approve . I have added a section on the end that explains how to create quick dodge links with the quick bar that allow you to remove troops from any village in just 2 clicks.

Great job on the guide. I see how it could easily help quite a lot of people. There is also a way to farm using the quick bar. It is very much the same as the dodging link, but with "Attack again with same troops." Attack a village with your desired amount of troops, save the report, make a link on the quick bar. (There are better ways, but this is the fastest to my knowledge)

I was able to send out 20 farming armies in a minute doing this with a pretty laggy connection. It's for those who don't have much time on their hands.

If you are going to use this, though, number your farms. Going from one village to another saying "I was on 31..." is far easier than saying "I was on the F in the third row and ninth column". :P

~Yuan
    Attack on /dev/null; landing on Tuesday, January 19 2038. Time: 03:14:07 GMT.
    Consists of: 4,294,967,296 Axemen.
    32-bit Doomsday. Fear it.

Alright, I'm new to a premium account, so forgive the noob question.
    Is there any other way to access the quick bar without going settings-->edit quick bar?
    Ex-Baron of OMEGA, Ex-Baron of NUKE, World 8
    OMEGA and NUKE fought to the end and then some.

Ex-World 51 NUKE

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast