Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 65
  1. #1
    Wallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,January 14th
    Location
    Bed - Usually.
    Posts
    3,476

    Default Non Premium Guide

    Hi all,

    This is a guide I am writing to share with you guys some sneaky tactics. It is the first guide I have ever written so be nice =D

    First Tactic - Sniping the noble

    This is the first tactic I am going to share with you guys. You probably all know it anyway but it’s good to be sure. It’s called sniping the noble.

    When you are under attack on a village the best way to take that village from an attacking point of view is to send a noble train which usually comprises of 4 nobles one after the other, sometimes 5 if you really want to be guaranteed the village. This is a good timed noble train which I sent. The attacks are hitting in the same second, which makes it difficult for people to use the tactic I am talking about.



    Now before that a clearing attack will be sent from a different village. So a few seconds before the noble train hits the clearing attack hits and so they can’t rebuild their defence before the noble hits. The tactic that I am going to show is dodging the clearing attack but then recalling the support to defend the nobles...

    There are two ways of doing this. The first is to send away an attack on another village with your defensive troops, just before the clearing wave hits. You then cancel the attack and make sure it comes back after the clearing wave but before the nobles and so all the nobles are killed but the clearing attack does not kill your defensive troops and leave the village exposed. However this tactic has its flaws. For example if cats were in the clearing wave or one attack you thought was a ram fake was actually cats hitting your rally point then you could not cancel the attack and so your village would get nobled. A rally point takes 4 minutes to build and so as long as the cats hit less than 8 minutes before the nobles you would lose your village. Why 8 minutes? Because it takes 4 minutes to go out and 4 minutes to be cancelled.

    The second way is much better in my opinion. What you do is either send your troops away and cancel them using the rally point before any attacks hit or you send them to support an abandoned village and withdraw them between the clearing and noble attacks noting the time it takes to get from the abandoned village back to the village you are trying to defend. If you have multiple villages another alternative is to send support from another one of your villages to land between the nobles and the clearing wave. This picture taken by me shows me sniping a noble train using the tactic I just mentioned.



    You might notice a cancelled attack at the top of the screen and that was to dodge a scout attack that had just hit.

    I find it better to let the first noble hit and snipe the other three as usually people send a larger forcer with the first noble in case the clearing attack has not fully cleared a village they can still reduce the loyalty and so I let the first noble hit and snipe the other 3 attacks.

    The best way to snipe is to have a new window open with the times the attacks will hit but minimize it so you can still see the times and underneath have the button ready to press to send the snipe to the village. Your screen should look something like this.



    Identifying attacks

    The problem is with this tactic you have to be able to identify attacks. This is a topic I will say a short bit about now.

    There is only one way to identify attacks accurately and that involves being online when the attacks are sent. In times of war when you are sleeping make sure you always get an account sitter so he can snipe noble trains/ identify attacks. This is especially important if you are on the frontlines. What you do is note the time that there was until the attack hit when you first noticed it. Don’t bother trying to identify them unless you are within a few minutes of them being sent. Then you go to the attack screen and type in 1 of a unit. E.G 1 spear and see the time it takes to get to your village. The closest time for 1 unit to the original time you noted down will have that unit in but remember the time you have noted down should always be smaller or the same as the closest unit. If you get it bigger than you have done something wrong or that unit is not involved in the attack.

    To help you identify attacks. I suggest you build at least one of each unit (except nobles) in all of your villages. I know you specialize village but 1 ram is not going to take up too much farm space is it? You don’t build nobles for 2 reasons. The first is that they are very expensive and useless to have in a defensive village except from noble fakes (but we will come onto that later). The second is that if the attack is slower than ram speed than the attack has to contain a noble as rams are the second slowest unit but the nobles are the slowest and so it has to contain a noble.

    Another tactic of identifying attacks works in the same way however instead of using units to work out the time you use an external site with a distance calculator on such as tribalwarsmap or twstats. Then you navigate the site to get onto the world you are being attacked in. Underneath each world there will be a function called distance calculator or travel times depending on which site you use. Click these and follow the instructions to work out which unit you are being attacked by. A screen will come up like this depending on which tool you use.

    Tribalwars Stats:



    Tribalwars Map:



    Both of these methods give a list of travel times of each unit to the village and so it is another effective method of indentifiying attacks. If you have lots of attacks starting at the same second press PrtSC (print screen) and copy that into a paint document. Then use the times shown on that to help you identify the attacks than noting the times down. This is because otherwise you may not be able to note down all the times quick enough to accuratly identifying the incoming attacks.

    Second tactic - Stopping Sniping of nobles

    The second tactic is putting cats in a clearing attack or as a fake attack. This as I have already mentioned will stop the sniping of nobles however this attack will not work on experienced players due to them using the tactics that I have previously mentioned. A key to sending these attacks is sending them when your opponent is offline and so he cannot identify them. Now luckily the cats and rams travel at the same speed and so hopefully your opponent will think that an attack is a ram fake rather than a wave of cats. Make sure if you want the opponent to think it is a ram fake that you have already cleared the village with a different attack before the cats come in otherwise your cats will die and your nobles could get sniped. Now make sure the fake is less than 4 minutes before your last noble otherwise the rally point could be rebuilt in that time. This picture illustrates the tactic I just mentioned.



    As you can see the attacks marked with a red dot are just normal ram fakes. However the clearing wave marked with a green dot has been disguised as a ram fake. The cats are just after and destroy his rally point. Then you have the noble train marked by the purple dots and finally the support for the freshly nobled village marked by a yellow dot. You may have noticed the noble train is not particularly well timed. With you destroying the rally point it does not have to be although it does help if the person uses the second method of sniping as it makes it much harder to snipe. (I did this pic as a tutorial so I could not be bothered to cancel and do it again =D. Usually my train would be four nobles in the same second in that situation but I was feeling lazy today =D). The flipside of this however is that players are more likely to use the first method of sniping on trains which are badly timed as it is an easier method of sniping as takes less time to set up. This is especially plausible in war where the player is likely to be receiving 30+ incomings on each village. However If a train is well timed it is easier to use the second method of sniping as it indicates the player is experienced and might try a few sneaky tricks of his own. Remember this tactic does not work on experienced players who use the second method of sniping and so it is always good to get the nobles the same second, and if not for any other reason to practice your timing.

    Third Tactic - Support fakes

    The third tactic to share with you guys is called support fakes. This is a devious tactic to make it look like you are nobling a different village to the one you are actually going for. This is the answer to the question, wont the support to a village destroy the point of fakes as it will be obvious which village you are planning to noble. The tactic is to send fake support to other villages that you have a fake noble train to. What you do is make 4 or so ram fakes look like a noble train by having them really close to each other and then put a few looking fakes before that. Then send 1 swordsman or another defensive unit as a support to hit just after the last ram. This means they will think that this village is getting nobled as well. If you do this to multiple villages it means he cannot move support around from one village to another. This increases the chance he will choose the wrong noble train to snipe because all your fakes noble trains and real ones should land at the same time. This would mean he only has the possibility of sniping one of the noble trains and fake noble trains and so the chances he chooses the right one are very slim. The attacks should look something like this.



    Remember the support fakes should only be one defensive unit. Using swords is the best as it makes the fakes look more realistic if the owner of the village you are faking is online. Obviously you send real support to the village you have nobles’ en-route to and be careful not to mix up support fakes to the villages you have nobles’ en-route to.

    Fourth Tactic - Nobling your own village

    This tactic is very evil and can be used very effectively in certain situations. It is best used on a village right in the middle of an enemy cluster or you know you are going to lose. What you do is clear your village of troops and noble yourself 3 times make the last noble just before enemy attacks hit. Then the first noble of the enemy takes the village and then he nobles his own village another 3 time wasting his own troops and nobles.

    Now in this situation you have two options. You can either laugh at the person who noble themselves and think how great you are or you can noble back the village. This all depends on the positioning of the village, if you don’t think you can re-take and hold the village then ignore the tactic I am about to mention. However if you think you would be able to hold the village after you have retaken it this is what you should do.

    Attack your own village between the time of their last noble attack and there support arriving. This is an evil tactic as not only will they have cleared there own village for you and only have a few hundred troops in there, they will support your own village once you have nobled it back. This picture illustrates the scenario.



    As you can see the enemy clears the village then nobles it with his first noble. He then proceeds to noble himself another 3 times before you come in and noble it straight back before the support arrives. This tactic is evil, but it works very well. Again, it is important to get the timing right otherwise you end up nobling the village either after the enemy support arrives or before the last enemy noble making the enemy noble the village straight back.

    Fifth tactic - Mailing your enemy

    You are probably thinking, what is he on about, what will mailing my enemy do. I can assure you I have used this tactic before and it worked beautifully. What you do is write a mail such as this one I used to convince the enemy you are a spy in your tribe working for there tribe.

    Quote Originally Posted by don’t worry
    ****** on 24.05. at 18:56
    Hi,

    I am an There tribe spy working in your tribe and so I am mailing you to say don’t worry. All the attacks I am sending you are fake, but I had to send you one real one as they sit our account regularly to make sure were not spying. The support however is real but you might question, why am I splitting it up between different villages, why not send all my support from one village to one of your villages. Again it is to do with account sitting, I can claim that I accidentally typed in a couple extra 00's on each attack but if I send a huge amount it looks suspicious.

    Again, don’t worry, the rest of my attacks to hit should be fakes.

    - **********

    P.S Delete this message after you have read it and replied and I will do the same (please reply to show me you understand). This is because I know there are Your tribe spies in their tribe, but I haven’t worked out who yet and so they might see this on your account. Please do not post this in there tribe forums as again there are your tribe spies in their tribe and my cover could be exposed.

    P.P.S I should not tell you this, so please don’t tell There tribe leader It is because I know you have a lot of attacks hitting and so I wanted to take a load off your mind and let you concentrate on the real ones.. but if There tribe leader finds out he could get mad.. So please don’t tell him. I did it as I don’t want you to worry.. I know what its like to have loads of attacks hitting your villages ;)

    ******* on 24.05. at 22:30
    Wait.. I just discovered a sitter sent a noble train at your village.. damn. The village in question is Actual village.. hopefully you can snipe it in time..

    Don’t worry though about paying me back for the noble costs, I should have it covered..
    Not only did this work beautifully and he thought all his attacks are fakes. Even after I nobled 4 of his villages, he was convinced that it was sitters that sent them and so I sent more trains and he still thought they were fakes. You might ask why I told him what village I was nobling.. well I told him 5 minutes before and I knew he wasn’t online. It also added credibility to my argument that sitters sent the trains as I told him before the nobles hit. It was a main reason why I managed to noble more of his villages. This tactic can be very effective although it does not work on most people it is still worth giving it a shot. There reaction is also very funny when they realise what has happened =D

    Tactic 6 - Timing noble trains

    A key tactic on tribalwars is being able to time noble trains and attacks well. This is primarily to stop the sniping of trains but also to confuse the enemy with well co-ordinated attacks. The main thing to do to get a good noble train is to use multiple windows. Line the windows up across the screen in the order you want them to hit so you want the clearing attack on the farthest right and then the nobles from right to left. This picture will illustrate what I mean. I am using rams as the timing aspect is still the same.



    And as it happens this noble train wasn’t great but it is still a method which is a lot quicker than other methods and gets nobles closer together. You want nobles closer together in a train because they are harder to snipe. This image shows the result of the method shown in the last window they weren’t all on the same second but this train would still be difficult to snipe.



    Tactic Seven - Identifying attacks when you weren’t online when they were launched

    The first thing to do is to try and work out how skilled the player is who is launching against you. There are multiple ways of doing this the best ones are to first look at the timing of the supposed noble train, is it very close together? If it is then it roughly indicates the player has some experience. How many attacks are there? Is there just 5? If so dodge the first one or two and snipe the rest. Then check the ranking of the player. If he has a high points rank he is generally quite experienced but make sure you check the players OD rank too as he could just be a pointwhore.

    After you have got as much information about the player’s experience as possible you should be able to tell the following:

    - If the player is not experienced it is most likely he will not have disguised his noble trains well and so the most likely attack is probably the noble train. Snipe the attack after the first noble has hit in the noble train.

    - If the player is experienced then it gets more difficult. Try to identify the villages the attacks are coming from if there is an attack coming from one village and then 4 from the same village snipe that attack. If there is more than one of these attacks where there is 1 attack from one village, 4 attacks form another, choose the set of attacks at the end.

    - If the attack has support after it from an inexperienced player then that is probably the village getting nobled however if it is from an experienced player do not count that it that village getting nobled. This is especially true if there is multiple support coming from the attacking player travelling to different villages that you own. This is an image of an attack coming towards a village.



    This image shows a village being attacked. Now say you were offline and then logged on to see this coming towards your village it would be plausible to snipe the attack after the first blue dot. This although not guaranteed to snipe the noble train is the most likely option and the best you can do in the situation.

    - Copyrighted by Wallam (C).

    Many thanks to these people who proofread or helped me with the guide:

    - Mattcurr
    - MasterFire
    - Galum
    - -OwNeD-
    Last edited by Wallam : 2008,May 28th at 14:21 Reason: Adding extra information

  2. #2

    Join Date
    2007,September 26th
    Posts
    423

    Default

    not too bad

    Quote Originally Posted by Wallam
    Identifying attacks

    The problem is with this tactic you have to be able to identify attacks. This is a topic I will say a short bit about now.

    There is only one way to identify attacks accurately and that involves being online when the attacks are sent. In times of war when you are sleeping make sure you always get an account sitter so he can snipe noble trains/ identify attacks. This is especially important if you are on the frontlines. What you do is note the time that there was until the attack hit when you first noticed it. Don’t bother trying to identify them unless you are within a few minutes of them being sent. Then you go to the attack screen and type in 1 of a unit. E.G 1 spear and see the time it takes to get to your village. The closest time for 1 unit to the original time you noted down will have that unit in but remember the time you have noted down should always be smaller or the same as the closest unit. If you get it bigger than you have done something wrong or that unit is not involved in the attack.

    To help you identify attacks. I suggest you build at least one of each unit (except nobles) in all of your villages. I know you specialize village but 1 ram is not going to take up too much farm space is it? You don’t build nobles for 2 reasons. The first is that they are very expensive and useless to have in a defensive village except from noble fakes (but we will come onto that later). The second is that if the attack is slower than ram speed than the attack has to contain a noble as rams are the second slowest unit but the nobles are the slowest and so it has to contain a noble.
    however i disagree with the above. the idea is right but the method is wrong. why bother to use units when you can use a distance calculator? (available on twstats and twmap or make your own) this way you dont lose even that tiny bit of power. and it's easier to do too.

  3. #3

    Default

    Not bad at all.
    Only have one comment for that timing noble trains.

    I don't know how Explorer works with this, but on Konqueror, this is what I do:
    Open a tag for each attack, input troops and all that, then position my self to the last tag opened.
    Position my mouse over OK button, hold down Control Button the whole time, and then it starts:
    Click - W - Click - W - Click - W....
    Control+W is the shortcut key for closing a tab in Konqueror, I don't know how IE handles that.

  4. #4
    hardypotter's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,April 26th
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wallam View Post
    Hi all,

    .

    Fifth tactic - Mailing your enemy

    You are probably thinking, what is he on about, what will mailing my enemy do. I can assure you I have used this tactic before and it worked beautifully. What you do is write a mail such as this one I used to convince the enemy you are a spy in your tribe working for there tribe.

    Originally Posted by don’t worry
    ****** on 24.05. at 18:56
    Hi,

    I am an There tribe spy working in your tribe and so I am mailing you to say don’t worry. All the attacks I am sending you are fake, but I had to send you one real one as they sit our account regularly to make sure were not spying. The support however is real but you might question, why am I splitting it up between different villages, why not send all my support from one village to one of your villages. Again it is to do with account sitting, I can claim that I accidentally typed in a couple extra 00's on each attack but if I send a huge amount it looks suspicious.

    Again, don’t worry, the rest of my attacks to hit should be fakes.

    - **********

    P.S Delete this message after you have read it and replied and I will do the same (please reply to show me you understand). This is because I know there are Your tribe spies in their tribe, but I haven’t worked out who yet and so they might see this on your account. Please do not post this in there tribe forums as again there are your tribe spies in their tribe and my cover could be exposed.

    P.P.S I should not tell you this, so please don’t tell There tribe leader It is because I know you have a lot of attacks hitting and so I wanted to take a load off your mind and let you concentrate on the real ones.. but if There tribe leader finds out he could get mad.. So please don’t tell him. I did it as I don’t want you to worry.. I know what its like to have loads of attacks hitting your villages ;)

    ******* on 24.05. at 22:30
    Wait.. I just discovered a sitter sent a noble train at your village.. damn. The village in question is Actual village.. hopefully you can snipe it in time..

    Don’t worry though about paying me back for the noble costs, I should have it covered..


    Not only did this work beautifully and he thought all his attacks are fakes. Even after I nobled 4 of his villages, he was convinced that it was sitters that sent them and so I sent more trains and he still thought they were fakes. You might ask why I told him what village I was nobling.. well I told him 5 minutes before and I knew he wasn’t online. This tactic can be very effective although it does not work on most people it is still worth giving it a shot. There reaction is also very funny when they realise what has happened =D
    Haha i just love this...even after 4 villages he didnt realise wth was going on?
    LMAO....
    Do u think its safe for me to copy a 99% wholesale message and send it to an inexperienced player? Would love to see their reaction.
    *Evil Laugh*

  5. #5
    Wallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,January 14th
    Location
    Bed - Usually.
    Posts
    3,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xfirestorm View Post
    Not bad at all.
    Only have one comment for that timing noble trains.

    I don't know how Explorer works with this, but on Konqueror, this is what I do:
    Open a tag for each attack, input troops and all that, then position my self to the last tag opened.
    Position my mouse over OK button, hold down Control Button the whole time, and then it starts:
    Click - W - Click - W - Click - W....
    Control+W is the shortcut key for closing a tab in Konqueror, I don't know how IE handles that.
    Yeah I chose IE to use it as its standard of every computer. There are otherways with various internet browsers but it was a safer bet to write it with a browser everyone has.

  6. #6
    Wallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,January 14th
    Location
    Bed - Usually.
    Posts
    3,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Narsis View Post
    not too bad



    however i disagree with the above. the idea is right but the method is wrong. why bother to use units when you can use a distance calculator? (available on twstats and twmap or make your own) this way you dont lose even that tiny bit of power. and it's easier to do too.
    First of all, you have to appreciate this guide was made for inexperienced people that probably dont use external tools however it is a fair point and I will add it in.

    Thankyou.

  7. #7
    gruntie guns's Avatar
    Join Date
    2007,May 24th
    Location
    England
    Posts
    917

    Default

    Wallam, great thread. Sounds pretty damn good.

    PS. I love you!
    I'm from the UK and proud of it. That's right, the one and only UK. UK <3!

  8. #8
    Wallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,January 14th
    Location
    Bed - Usually.
    Posts
    3,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gruntie guns View Post
    Wallam, great thread. Sounds pretty damn good.

    PS. I love you!
    Aww.. thanks gruntie.. =D

  9. #9
    Wallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,January 14th
    Location
    Bed - Usually.
    Posts
    3,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hardypotter View Post
    Haha i just love this...even after 4 villages he didnt realise wth was going on?
    LMAO....
    Do u think its safe for me to copy a 99% wholesale message and send it to an inexperienced player? Would love to see their reaction.
    *Evil Laugh*
    Yeah, I guess so.. probably would work..

  10. #10
    Galum's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,January 30th
    Posts
    1,479

    Default

    I told you it was pretty good when you showed it to me but noooo you won't believe me, you'll only believe Gruntie =(

    j/k good guide mate =)

  11. #11
    Wallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,January 14th
    Location
    Bed - Usually.
    Posts
    3,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Galum View Post
    I told you it was pretty good when you showed it to me but noooo you won't believe me, you'll only believe Gruntie =(

    j/k good guide mate =)
    Lol.. you didnt see it with the images...you need the images.

    Thanks a lot for your proofreading of this one mate.. =D

    and spotting that one mistake .. but there was only one..=D not bad in 3200 words.

  12. #12

    Default

    ;o Haxx0r guide Wallam, was a good read lol...

    Any idea how to send a train efficiently on FireFox without having to open windows? Because the tabs don't change properly with Ctrl + Tab after you click "OK" to send the attacks. :(

    Good guide nonetheless, will start using new windows to launch trains instead of tabs lmao. :S

  13. #13
    Wallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,January 14th
    Location
    Bed - Usually.
    Posts
    3,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golgalash View Post
    ;o Haxx0r guide Wallam, was a good read lol...

    Any idea how to send a train efficiently on FireFox without having to open windows? Because the tabs don't change properly with Ctrl + Tab after you click "OK" to send the attacks. :(

    Good guide nonetheless, will start using new windows to launch trains instead of tabs lmao. :S
    Nah.. i dont use firefox. The only thing i can suggest i opening new windows..

  14. #14

    Default

    Oh well, thanks anyway lol...

    Need to wait for nobles to get back before I attempt to train anything else lmfao. :P

  15. #15
    Wallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,January 14th
    Location
    Bed - Usually.
    Posts
    3,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Golgalash View Post
    Oh well, thanks anyway lol...

    Need to wait for nobles to get back before I attempt to train anything else lmfao. :P
    Practice with rams on an abandoned village to get used to it.

  16. #16
    Weiya's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,January 9th
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    1,727

    Default

    not bad Wallam,I thought you were much noobier than that LOL,:p

    Seriously,good work mate.It is nice to know to have such a team members,:D
    Galum:Weiya is definitely a W11 legend, not to mention the sexiest person who ever lived besides perhaps the great Lord Hellz =P (yes you can quote me, <3)


  17. #17
    Wallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,January 14th
    Location
    Bed - Usually.
    Posts
    3,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weiya View Post
    not bad Wallam,I thought you were much noobier than that LOL,:p

    Seriously,good work mate.It is nice to know to have such a team members,:D
    Heh.. thanks Weiya,,

  18. #18
    darth krayt talon's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,May 3rd
    Location
    OFF TOPIC(for now)
    Posts
    52

    Default

    great guide for players without premium im gonna use this alot

    Making a Premade w23. Mail me if interested.

  19. #19
    Wallam's Avatar
    Join Date
    2008,January 14th
    Location
    Bed - Usually.
    Posts
    3,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darth krayt talon View Post
    great guide for players without premium im gonna use this alot
    Thanks.. its always nice to see your work is appreciated.

  20. #20

    Community manager
    Morthy's Avatar
    Join Date
    2006,July 5th
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    5,468

    Default

    Would you mind if I posted this as an article on TW Stats with credit?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Rules

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •