Petition Regarding Signatures

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kash2Smash

That's under the assumption that all posts are completely text and don't contain pictures. That is an incorrect assumption.

And, as I have said before, increasing the sig size would mean larger sigs of text just as much as it would mean larger pictures, so your argument hurts your point of view.

Well, now we know.

How so? The point I was trying to get across was that you were stating something so completely obvious that it need not have been said, and that it was a waste of words to try to say it. Apparently I was being too subtle for you.
It's all relative. I'm not saying that it prevents me from reading the posts, it's simply an annoyance, an inconvenience, not something that's completely awful, but something to be avoided nonetheless as having a good, readable, and usable site is important. That is of course with respect to the smaller proposed changes, but as I have said before, I have been active on plenty of other forums, and many of them have had very large, or even no, sig size limits and some of them were so bad that I seriously had to stop using the forums because they simply weren't readable. The worst were the ones with sigs that would fill up 1/2 a screen or more (some filling an entire screen). Those are extremes, yes, but my point is that the sig size is not some irrelevant fact that can be pushed aside without thought. It really does affect the users, and every little bit matters.

Well, your first example contains an animation, so both in fact break the forum rules. I also assume that you meant to use quotes, not image tags for that first one.

Members shouldn't have to tell other people to change their sigs when they are distracting. The staff members should be doing their job to make the forums usable, and a part of that is making sure that signatures add to, and don't detract from, the forum as a whole. That's why the rule is there and that's why it's going to stay there.

mate... a sig of 550x120 does not fill up half of the page, how would that sig size distract anyone??

and the sig below is not an animation :icon_rolleyes:
OmegaAccion.jpg

how does this look animated.. its still :lol: would this size really affect you a lot? and the height of this sig is some 425 x 125.... i am talking bout 110-120...it really wont affect anyone.

DeletedUser

According to the rules, no.
Hmm, why not? It's the exact same thing, only in image form?

mate... a sig of 550x120 does not fill up half of the page, how would that sig size distract anyone??

OmegaAccion.jpg

how does this look animated.. its still :lol: would this size really affect you a lot? and the height of this sig is some 425 x 125.... i am talking bout 110-120...it really wont affect anyone.

He meant this:

The :lol:

DeletedUser

Err, my b. I meant to add that sigs help tribes wave their e-peen around. Larger (and thus better) sigs will help many tribes do this.

I don't know much of a difference that statement makes after the fact, but w/e, I'm ok with it.
Such people are perfectly capable of using their existing signatures to do this. If they need a larger canvas then they can post them in specific topics, which many players do do. P&P has a strong history of posting comical images, and they don't all have to be in sigs to be effective.

You said it yourself that not that many people have sigs to begin with, so the number is probably less.
You seem to have only read the first sentance of an entire paragraph. See the quote in its entirety below.
Yes, the vast majority of the users of this forum don't have any signature, and the vast majority of the users of this forum have also made less than 10 posts. Almost any member who is active on the forum for more than a few days has either a signature, or an avatar, or both. As a consequence of that as the sig limit increases it will increase the sig size on most of the posts in the forum (and retroactively as well).

DeletedUser

You seem to have only read the first sentance of an entire paragraph. See the quote in its entirety below.

I have seen entire pages devoid of image sigs. I doubt there will be one where everyone has one except in sig threads... You're the combo-breaker in this one.

Edit: Dammit Rocker...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I have answered this in many posts and in great detail. If you have questions about a specific explanation or pont then address that issue. Asking such a question simply demonstrates that you haven't read my replies.
OmegaAccion.jpg

how does this look animated.. its still :lol:
That picture is also not your first example, it is your second. Again, try actually reading my replies and not just skimming them.

would this size really affect you a lot? and the height of this sig is some 425 x 125.... i am talking bout 110-120...it really wont affect anyone.
I have explained how it would have an effect. You can't refute that by simply stating that it won't have an effect.

DeletedUser

Hmm, why not? It's the exact same thing, only in image form?
The rules make a distinction between text and images. I think it's weird too, but that's what it says, so that's what I'm bound to enforce. If you want to suggest a re-wording you're more than welcome to, but if you push the issue chances are the lines of text will simply be reduced until it's under 80 pixels, not the reverse with images.

DeletedUser

I have seen entire pages devoid of image sigs. I doubt there will be one where everyone has one except in sig threads... You're the combo-breaker in this one.

Edit: Dammit Rocker...

While that may be possible, it is still uncommon, and I have been very active on these forums for a long time mind you.

Kash2Smash

I have answered this in many posts and in great detail. If you have questions about a specific explanation or pont then address that issue. Asking such a question simply demonstrates that you haven't read my replies.
That picture is also not your first example, it is your second. Again, try actually reading my replies and not just skimming them.

I have explained how it would have an effect. You can't refute that by simply stating that it won't have an effect.

the problem is that u are stubborn and wont listen to anyone.. you are a mod and you wont be convinced, simply, your ideas are important to you even though some 5 people here are trying to say somethng but u wont listen just replying with your stupid explainations.

DeletedUser63403

the problem is that u are stubborn and wont listen to anyone.. you are a mod and you wont be convinced, simply, your ideas are important to you even though some 5 people here are trying to say somethng but u wont listen just replying with your stupid explainations.
1st : Mind you language.
2nd : Dude you need to enfore why you want bigger sigs,giving some valid reasons, not prove that servy is wrong.

DeletedUser

I have been very interested to follow the above discussion. I am inbetween - not admin, not sig maker, do not have sig either - though hopefully... anyway that is another matter.

Well to the point. I believe that the sigs are expressive and attractive, not all are attractive but art is in the eye of the beholder ehh? The point being attraction rather than detraction or distraction. Being new the sigs and thought of owning one was almost one of comradere (excuse spelling) and a way to get toknow some of the fine fellows that frequent this forum. Another point is to find a balance whichfrom your discussions above I know you are well aware of so I do not mean to insult you in any way :) The point is that for me - I do speak for myself alone - the sigs drawme to the threads - and it may give someof the rapscallions something positive to do, idle keyboards/mice/hands and all that
Cheers Jono

DeletedUser

If you want a bigger sig, put it in a spoiler; then anyone interested can open and view it, and those trying to actually read the Forums can ignore it. I'm not really understanding why simply doing that is such an issue :icon_confused:

For those unsure of what I am referring to...
[spoil]This is a spoiler:
prodriv_e_spoiler.jpg
[/spoil]

Kash2Smash

rocker i am minding my language as much as i can. and i have tried, i have given my explanation and so have others, instead i would say he is tryng to prove us wrong.

DeletedUser63403

If you want a bigger sig, put it in a spoiler; then anyone interested can open and view it, and those trying to actually read the Forums can ignore it. I'm not really understanding why simply doing that is such an issue :icon_confused:
People want everyone else to see their sig, so why should they hide them from everyone for the sake of a few other people who dont want to see it.
Those who are trying to read the forums and ignore the sigs can disable them from User CP.

DeletedUser63403

rocker i am minding my language as much as i can. and i have tried, i have given my explanation and so have others, instead i would say he is tryng to prove us wrong.
Thats his job unfortunately. But i dont think calling him stupid or stubborn would help.

DeletedUser

Rocker - doesn't putting it in a spoiler detract from the reasons for having a sig in the first place?

DeletedUser

People want everyone else to see their sig, so why should they hide them from everyone for the sake of a few other people who dont want to see it.
If people want 'everyone' to see their sigs, they can simply abide by the rules. :icon_wink:

And who said it was just "a few people"? You can hardly judge the consensus of almost 400k players by the opinions of the 100 people who have viewed this thread.

Those who are trying to read the forums and ignore the sigs can disable them from User CP.
I never said I didn't want to see sigs at all, they can provide you with valuable information about who you are speaking to.

Status
Not open for further replies.