Haiti Earthquake

DeletedUser

My girlfriend and I are looking for places where we can volunteer to help. I think it would be a good experience to go down there and help people.
I would not call many thousands of people rotting in the gutter a great experience.

DeletedUser

My girlfriend and I are looking for places where we can volunteer to help. I think it would be a good experience to go down there and help people.

What part of that did you miss rowanbaen?

It is a shame what has happened though. I have been to DR and most of it looked like a War zone before any natural disaster so I can only imagine the Haitian devastation.

DeletedUser50073

lol shut up rowan. Vilja ignore rowan, he's in love with Ben is Great, therefor, anything he says doesn't matter. And we can't find a place that is taking volunteers to actually go there :icon_sad:, but I think we managed to get about 100 pounds of clothes in our house that we don't wear together for the red cross! :lol: A lot of great help is going there.

Americans donated more than $8 million by 8:25 a.m. EST Friday in a Haiti earthquake relief text message appeal, according to Fox News. The donations were pledged $10 at a time.

DeletedUser

I still do not get why we are obligated to send millions of dollars to help, when nobody helped when Katrina hit. We are already suffering from national debt, a terrible economy, and high unemployment...instead of sending money, why not pay unemployed Americans to help? Now that would solve quite a few of our problems...

DeletedUser61336

I still do not get why we are obligated to send millions of dollars to help, when nobody helped when Katrina hit. We are already suffering from national debt, a terrible economy, and high unemployment...instead of sending money, why not pay unemployed Americans to help? Now that would solve quite a few of our problems...

We can't think like that yarnie, that's fixing something... :eek:

Weaselfierce

Dude, get yourself educated and informed on the facts before spouting that simplistic nonsense.
First of all we are NOT obligated to send anything but we're doing it because that's the right thing to do and we can and we have people of high moral character among our leaders. (And yes, this is coming from me, a Bush, McCain supporter who has been unemployed in the past.)
I lived in New Orleans when Katrina hit and plenty of people helped from all over the world, even when they didn't have to and were not asked. Even though most of the help was from within the US we had countries poorer that the US with not much to offer also show up with help. I was there, saw them, talked to them, shook their hands, ate and drank the food and water they offered.
Natural disasters hit you when you least expect them and always catch you unprepared. If that wasn't the case they would just be called natural inconveniences, not DISASTERS.
And by-the-way, even with this terrible economy in the USA, we are STILL the strongest, most dominant economy in the world and among the best prepared to respond to something like this....

DeletedUser50073

Yarnie you sound like a total idiot. First off the US offers unemployment, food stamps, housing, insurance, among other things to so many people, it's not like they just aren't helping. And from a diplomatic stand point, think of the reputation we get with the world when we come to the aid of everyone else. We(US) may need that aid in return someday, and when we do need help, people will remember how much the US has helped the world when they needed it and return the favor. We helped so many people in the past, Like Weaselfierce said, people from all around the world were there to help when we needed it. In fact, more than 50 countries were there giving the US a hand during katrina. Get your facts straight before you come spewing your bullshit :icon_rolleyes:.. And many people in the US are helping Haiti right now by donating money, clothes, and other things. That 8 million was given by good hearted American people from the red cross campaign by text messages($10 per text).. That is a lot of people willing to help. While you're sitting on your ass eating chips and playing TW, people are dieing right now, even while you are reading this, in Haiti. I for one am glad there are people willing to help out.

/rant

DeletedUser

No one is obligated to do anything, including the U.S. government. But, for most people, it is innate to be humane whether that appears in the form of direct financial assistance, clothing, food, medical assistance, etcetera. Even if you paid unemployed U.S. citizens to go over and help you would still require supplies, which cost money, so your point is very idealistic. Quick fact: If one-fourth of the U.S. population contributed $10 that would amount to over $750M in aid to a country whose gross national product is only around $4 billion. I have paid more than $10 just getting into a club as a cover charge. That kind of puts things in perspective for me.

I applaud those that can, and have, supported in any capacity they are able to. For anyone, including the government, to just turn a shoulder is deplorable.

DeletedUser

What part of that did you miss rowanbaen?
I din't miss anything of that vilja :), i appriciate your concern though.
Helping or not you will still see and smell the rotting death.
And many people in the US are helping Haiti right now by donating money, clothes, and other things
Those other things, is it possible those are weapons, bullets, Artillery, ... for the upcomming civil war? :)

DeletedUser

Text the word "Haiti" to 90999

the phone company is going to charge : you and that money will go red cross

edit: that would be $10

DeletedUser

Dude, get yourself educated and informed on the facts before spouting that simplistic nonsense.
First of all we are NOT obligated to send anything but we're doing it because that's the right thing to do and we can and we have people of high moral character among our leaders. (And yes, this is coming from me, a Bush, McCain supporter who has been unemployed in the past.)
I lived in New Orleans when Katrina hit and plenty of people helped from all over the world, even when they didn't have to and were not asked. Even though most of the help was from within the US we had countries poorer that the US with not much to offer also show up with help. I was there, saw them, talked to them, shook their hands, ate and drank the food and water they offered.
Natural disasters hit you when you least expect them and always catch you unprepared. If that wasn't the case they would just be called natural inconveniences, not DISASTERS.
And by-the-way, even with this terrible economy in the USA, we are STILL the strongest, most dominant economy in the world and among the best prepared to respond to something like this....

I searched for about an hour for lists of who helped, and found nothing else...so I asked a marine buddy who was there. My apologies for posting when misinformed.

Yarnie you sound like a total idiot. First off the US offers unemployment, food stamps, housing, insurance, among other things to so many people, it's not like they just aren't helping. And from a diplomatic stand point, think of the reputation we get with the world when we come to the aid of everyone else. We(US) may need that aid in return someday, and when we do need help, people will remember how much the US has helped the world when they needed it and return the favor. We helped so many people in the past, Like Weaselfierce said, people from all around the world were there to help when we needed it. In fact, more than 50 countries were there giving the US a hand during katrina. Get your facts straight before you come spewing your bullshit :icon_rolleyes:.. And many people in the US are helping Haiti right now by donating money, clothes, and other things. That 8 million was given by good hearted American people from the red cross campaign by text messages($10 per text).. That is a lot of people willing to help. While you're sitting on your ass eating chips and playing TW, people are dieing right now, even while you are reading this, in Haiti. I for one am glad there are people willing to help out.

/rant

ROFL, as I said, I searched for anything that hinted we had help when I heard the earthquake had hit. If people want to donate their belongings to help, so be it...I simply stated that the government should not be sending millions of dollars to help, and I suggested an alternative suggestion. As for the unemployment and other "help" the U.S. government gives, it is simply paying people to sit around all day and live off the government. What I said, was that the government could instead pay those people to help out, and we can still be given a pat on the back from the world for helping, and it gets more people off their lazyboys.

On another note, I am a full time student, and I work hard to make enough money to even transport me to school and back. Not sitting behind a cash register, outside in below freezing temperate splitting wood, and helping farmers. So if you are going to reply to this, I would ask you to realize that you have no clue who I am or what I do when im not here on the computer.

No one is obligated to do anything, including the U.S. government. But, for most people, it is innate to be humane whether that appears in the form of direct financial assistance, clothing, food, medical assistance, etcetera. Even if you paid unemployed U.S. citizens to go over and help you would still require supplies, which cost money, so your point is very idealistic. Quick fact: If one-fourth of the U.S. population contributed $10 that would amount to over $750M in aid to a country whose gross national product is only around $4 billion. I have paid more than $10 just getting into a club as a cover charge. That kind of puts things in perspective for me.

I applaud those that can, and have, supported in any capacity they are able to. For anyone, including the government, to just turn a shoulder is deplorable.

When individuals help, it is one thing, but Obama has shown to act slow on many topics, but when this happens, he rushes to send money over. This also brings up the fact that, even though it was the Bush administration, katrina response time was a bit too slow. I would hope that Obama would act this fast if a large earthquake hit Cali. or anywhere else in the U.S.

And yes, I realize that sending citizens over to work would require supplies and food, but hey...we are paying the military to go over there, and they are payed in addition to being provided with food and shelter. I think it would be possible, but I am not foolish enough to think that it will happen :p.

Oh, on another note...before anyone decides to try and take a blow at me, I am a member of the Boy Scouts of America...with the highest rank, Eagle. So I would, in fact, be one of the first to help if I could.

DeletedUser

they are struggling to get aid there because of the lack of fuel and all of the blocked roads..

DeletedUser

But yeah.. very sad obviously
We plan starting some sort of donation campaign in our school, so let's see how that goes

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I searched for about an hour for lists of who helped, and found nothing else...so I asked a marine buddy who was there. My apologies for posting when misinformed.

ROFL, as I said, I searched for anything that hinted we had help when I heard the earthquake had hit. If people want to donate their belongings to help, so be it...I simply stated that the government should not be sending millions of dollars to help, and I suggested an alternative suggestion. As for the unemployment and other "help" the U.S. government gives, it is simply paying people to sit around all day and live off the government. What I said, was that the government could instead pay those people to help out, and we can still be given a pat on the back from the world for helping, and it gets more people off their lazyboys.

On another note, I am a full time student, and I work hard to make enough money to even transport me to school and back. Not sitting behind a cash register, outside in below freezing temperate splitting wood, and helping farmers. So if you are going to reply to this, I would ask you to realize that you have no clue who I am or what I do when im not here on the computer.

When individuals help, it is one thing, but Obama has shown to act slow on many topics, but when this happens, he rushes to send money over. This also brings up the fact that, even though it was the Bush administration, katrina response time was a bit too slow. I would hope that Obama would act this fast if a large earthquake hit Cali. or anywhere else in the U.S.

And yes, I realize that sending citizens over to work would require supplies and food, but hey...we are paying the military to go over there, and they are payed in addition to being provided with food and shelter. I think it would be possible, but I am not foolish enough to think that it will happen :p.

Oh, on another note...before anyone decides to try and take a blow at me, I am a member of the Boy Scouts of America...with the highest rank, Eagle. So I would, in fact, be one of the first to help if I could.

I am not going to bash anyone just going to make a couple of points. I am way past the age of college and hell I have kids most of your ages. So I thought I will help out a little bit here. First as far as Haiti there is nothing funny about it. If you put up pictures or make jokes then there is seriously something wrong with you. Maybe you don't get enough attention and whether good or bad, you like when people say your name. One of my best friends is full Haitian. I have spoken with him and its crazy over there. You make jokes but apparently a lot of you don't know what the smell of death is.

As far as Yarnie like I said I am not bashing you at all, just wanted to point out some things. You say Obama is slow on things. You do realize that everything is done by a vote. You are in college so I am guessing you are old enough to vote. So you are putting blame on one person when in actuality that person you voted for might be the one holding things up. Everyone is quick to blame the President for everything (Bush or Obama) that happens in America. They have no real power. The power that they have is that the House and Senate usually follows suit to what the President is. They are the ones that hold up what truly happens in the Gov't.

Also you stated that we should send people over that are just sitting around collecting money. Let me ask you this. If they aren't going to get jobs here in the US, what makes you think they will go over to another country and work. Some people have learned to live off the system and that's not going to change in my lifetime, your lifetime, and in the future. I could go on but I think this is long enough

DeletedUser

First as far as Haiti there is nothing funny about it. If you put up pictures or make jokes then there is seriously something wrong with you

he could be just evil or he just doesn't care...

nothing seriously wrong about it