Newsletter #6 - 2010-01-31

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser656

Dear Players,

Welcome to our sixth official fortnightly* Tribal Wars newsletter, designed to bring you up to date with the latest happenings at TWHQ.

* Definition of fortnightly: Roughly every 16.4 days.

Version 6 is on the horizon

In our second newsletter we discussed how our versioning system works and explained that version 6 would be a 'major' release for Tribal Wars. We're happy to say that progress is going well on the new version and is now mainly in the testing stage. We can also reveal two of the new features that will be introduced.

With the increasing popularity of technologically advanced phones such as the iPhone and Nexus One one of the most frequently requested features for Tribal Wars has been a more mobile friendly design. With a few tweaks here and there we probably could have made a noticeable improvement, but after much hard work we're happy to be able to announce that Version 6 will include a completely redesigned version of the game that will be automatically used when you browse the site using your phone. You'll still be able to play on the same worlds as now, and keep your account as it is, the only difference will be that the game will show things to you in a completely different way.

You can see a picture of the German version of the game being played from a phone here.

The second feature we can reveal is a new achievements system for all players. There will be several achievements that can be earned in a variety of ways. Some will be easy to achieve, while some may only be awarded in rare occurrences. For example, an achievement could be awarded to players who have the endurance to carry on playing again and again even when nobled out of the game.

Naturally these are only two of the smaller improvements to come in version 6. We hope to be able to reveal more information on additional features as soon as possible. While we cannot say for sure when our worlds shall receive these updates, it should be some time in the coming weeks.

Reminder: Connection sharing

If you play Tribal Wars from the same computer or connection (IP address) as other players on your world then please remember that you must register connection sharing with each other on all accounts. If two people play from the same connection, both players must add each other, not just one. If three people play, all three players must add each other.

To declare a shared connection with another player, follow these steps:

1. Click on the 'Settings' link on the top menu.
2. Click on the 'Share Internet connection' link on the left menu.
3. Add each player that you share a connection with.

Failure to do this is a violation of our game rules and may result in action being taken against your account!

Spotlight: Half price nobles

We frequently get asked questions such as "Why does world x have half priced nobles and we don't?" and "When does a world get half priced nobles enabled?".

Half priced nobles is a feature we usually enable on older worlds when we feel gameplay is getting stale. The idea of the change is that players won't have to wait as long to purchase noblemen so will be able to participate in attacks and tribe operations more.

We don't have a strict set of guidelines, but in general the following criteria must be met before a world will have the feature enabled:

• Less than 1000 players left on the world
  • Players have to wait a long time to afford new noblemen.
  • In a world poll, more than 2/3rds of players must vote to enable it.

Currently worlds 1-10 and 12 have had this feature enabled. There are also a couple of exceptions: World 43 started with half priced nobles, and world 39 has it enabled shortly after the start.

Surveys

We'd like to know what players think about a variety of important subjects. This week we're interested in world starts and world settings. We've added a number of polls that all players from all worlds can vote on.

To view the polls and vote, click on 'Settings' on the top menu, and then 'Surveys' on the left. We appreciate any feedback and comments!

Staff changes

We'd like to welcome Bigfeet15 to our forum moderation team and taljr15 who will be joining our in-game support team.

Congratulations also to MadMarauder, who has been promoted from a forum moderator to an elder moderator.

In addition to this, our thanks go out to ArtOfDefence and ChillyAcademic who have left us.

-------------------------------------------------------------

We’d love to hear any feedback or suggestions you have on our newsletter so please do reply here to let us know how we’re doing!

Kind regards,
Jon “Morthy” Dawson
Community Manager

deadsocks

So this means if I add my brother to connection sharing and yet he doesn't add me, both of us could get in trouble?
Phone version looks great though! Will it require installation, or will it just be activated when I visit the site on my mobile's browser?
Will it be possible to visit the normally-formatted site from my phone too if I so desire?

Last edited:

stash75

yes thats been the rule for ages i think as it happened to me when i first started but i didnt realise my brother played it aswell but i lost some villages for it which i tought was unfair seeing as i never knew he played but still yes make sure he does put you down as shared but then you cant attack him so as brothers you probably naturally fight lol so just share connection and then neither will lose villages or be banned

by the way nice work TW glad i can use my iphone now to go on TW without getting all confused lol

DeletedUser

hey do you happen to have any plans for new worlds to be opened up? i joined 46 but didnt enjoy the no limit tribes. just wondering if there was anything on the cards?

DeletedUser

awee man this is great im really happy to see the iphone update it will be a big help for me because i use my iphone alot for tribal wars especially when im all tucked away in bed at 2 in the morning and i gotta wake up to send a nuke :)

Thank-you tribal wars staff this will be a great help

DeletedUser

Great update thanks, sure the ability to browse on phone will be useful for many :icon_smile:

DeletedUser

So this means if I add my brother to connection sharing and yet he doesn't add me, both of us could get in trouble?
Phone version looks great though! Will it require installation, or will it just be activated when I visit the site on my mobile's browser?
Will it be possible to visit the normally-formatted site from my phone too if I so desire?

.. really good question i wanna know the answers too as well.

DeletedUser

love the phone version thing as i often use my iphone to play on the go, i really like the achievements thing as well and id hope u guys come up with many achievements to get for the tribe and as a player. Achievements and maybe a leaderboard would be cool for say things like most noblements of an actual player without losing a village. War achievements for one tribe say taking 1000 villages from an enemy without losing more than 100 villages themselves. Many possibilities for this and im glad to see tribalwars always looking to add more to keep the game fresh and new.

DeletedUser

Looking forward to ver. 6 I like the looks of the phone version as well. Will it also make for easier viewing on phones that are not iPhones but still have internet capabilities? I can access TW on my phone and can do everything but send attacks or upgrade buildings.

Also, how do you determine when a world has "slowed down" with its nobling and meets that criteria for half priced coins. W20, like other worlds that have the 1/2 coin system, is in a world war and has been wanting this poll for a while now. Just because we aren't an almost dead world doesn't mean we wouldn't appreciate the extra nobles.

DeletedUser

My god this iPhone version is the best news ever! Playing Tribal Wars on my phone has been a hassle for at least the past 2 years, but now it will actually work properly! Looks like I'm joining the next world with settings similar to those of w11.

*very happy face*

DeletedUser

My god this iPhone version is the best news ever! Playing Tribal Wars on my phone has been a hassle for at least the past 2 years, but now it will actually work properly!

*very happy face*

Because I've got nothing to add, I'll just QFT this.

<insert happylolcat.jpg here>

DeletedUser

Half Price Nobles....lets PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have them on W22!!!!

DeletedUser

The news are really great, especially the part with mobile friendly design :)

As an aside note, this part:

Nwesletter said:
For example, an achievement could be awarded to players who have the endurance to carry on playing again and again even when nobled out of the game.

cracked me up :lol: Perseverance is not always a quality :icon_razz:

pasmith1961

cant wait for the new version 6 :)

Half price nobles how do we get to vote? W14 is dying fast as players need nobles

DeletedUser

You guys are doing a great job with the newsletters and updates. umm one thing i would like to see in the future is maybe recruit button on the top of the mass recruit page, just like how you have it for the mint coins on the top of the page (premium feat of course)

just think it would be more helpful when using the mass recruit script, instead of haveing to scroll to the bottom of the page to click the button.

DeletedUser

Great work! Pity that the Iphone things comes out after my Hiptop broke, I don't know if it would have been the same but oh well.

I really like the achievements thing, really puts a sense of purpose tp playing even after being nobled.

DeletedUser

Suggestion for new troop type:-
Carrier Pidgeon

Send a carrier pidgeon to another vill in order for them to perform a pre-defined attack/support as soon as they land on your vill that is required to perform the action.
This means for those not being co-played/sat, they can still send orders as they sleep.

This would still make it strategic as the pidgeon would have to be co-ordinated to land at the correct time, but help those that cannot be sat / co-played for some reason

Just an idea

Axillion

Status
Not open for further replies.