What's that?

zakipoo

like others said.... pictures can mean 1,000's of words, or a simple short sentence can mean 1,000's words.

every time i see someone wanting to go into details and make a lengthy comments about a short sentence or what not, even including every quotations from others post, i dont know about everyone else (naturally i speak for myself) they come to play TW and go to the external forum to post some PnP and debate which is understandable. i go to the forums to be all caught up with the wars and infos with whats going with the world 'right now' yet when i see lengthy post after lengthy posts, i go

Care-QWERTitis.jpg

and cant seem to find anything useful to read for the most time. (im open to my own opinions right?)

anyways, as for the part about pictures can mean 1,000's of words...

normal_1228919686717_G.jpg

heh... awch?

anyways, im not insulting anyone or anything, just stating my opinion after actually reading EVERY posts even if it was lengthy and i need some aspirin.

anyways, to end my post...

Thread-Crap-Forget.jpg

DeletedUser

What I find interesting about this is that people are making long posts and expecting an equally long post in reply. Sometimes, Its just not needed. Why use a thousand words when ten will do.

For me personally, I like and enjoy the english language. Even with its nuances and oddness. I still like it. Its also an equal opportunity language. Paragraphs of response or a 'lol, that was funny'. They ALL work here, and as long as both parties understand it, I really don't see the need for arguements.

Sincerely,
Daysteppr

DeletedUser

I think the point that it trying to be made here is that it's not always a long post for the sake of a long post; sometimes there is quite literally that much to be said on the subject. But when users post something that doesn't have a picture every two sentences, they get flamed for "walls of text". If you ask me, that isn't "Equal opportunity language", that's demanding that all post be lowered to the easiest level of comprehension, and often the least amount of effort, which is not something that I would fine particularly desirable...

Besides, while 1 word and 1000 can often mean the same thing, sometimes the one word doesn't truly describe the situation well enough. I mean, you could use "Sunrise" to describe the sun coming up in the morning, but does it truly describe the magnificence of the tableau: the bright and vivid reds, yellows and even purples that light up the sky, as the sun slowly creeps over the horizon, the rush of warmth as the first rays of light reach you and the scenery around you is transformed from the dull colourless twilight by the golden rays of the new dawn. If you've ever been up for the sun rising, it's quite a serene moment, in fact there are very few things that are so stunning as a particularly good sunrise.

Does the word "Battlefield" truly encompass the blood, gore, and total maddening chaos of men trying their hardest to kill each other in brutal ways: all sense of civilization annihilated in the stinking mass of rage and fear?

and how about longer words? Does "calm" hold the same meaning as "serene"? I could have used either in the sunrise description, but honestly, calm just doesn't get the feeling across.

And how about more obscure words? Why use "bad" or "smelly" when you could use Putrid, or Rank, or Vile? The have so much more depth to them, why use a good word when a better word exists?

On a side note: Zakipoo (bolded so that it catches your attention), you do realise you just managed to epitomise the second part of my post in which I talked about images for the sake of images, right? You obviously read that part, as you paraphrased part of it in your post, but on the surface it looks like you did exactly what some here are giving out about the post in part, and commented on the bit you read without taking into account the rest of the post. As a result, you (intentionally or not) completely missed my point regarding images. They only really speak 1000 words if accompanied by enough substance to make them actually relevant. Your first image? fair enough, it's in context. The Second? Well... pushing it, ever so slightly. I could give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were subtly implying that all long winded posts are essentially saying the same thing over and over, but I honestly think that was a happy accident, in the context of the rest of the post. And the last one? Seriously, there was no need for that one at all...

Also, Huntress: Thanks for the thought out reply, (one that was amusingly longer than the one I had posted :p), I would comment more on it but we would no doubt just end up repeating ourselves at this point: we both have our views, and while they overlap somewhat on some points, I think we both know that we aren't going to change each other's opinions any time soon! Oh, and I do apologise for doubting Faineancy was a word: I found it in a proper dictionary at home later.

DeletedUser67788

'Heinous' and 'moist' are two words that definitely need more attention in everyday conversations.

I intend to use them a lot.

DeletedUser

I would guess that a lot of it has to do with context. Using the sunrise example, while it is extremely descriptive, is not always needed. Sometimes the answer to a a long worded post is ' cool'. Other times, the answer is much longer.

Regarding the pictures...well I agree...somewhat. There are times when pictures are helpful when one is looking to make a certain point with language that could be construed in multiple ways. Pictures help 'define' the way the writers words are used. Than again, there are times when pictures are used that just confuse the issue or are just used out of spite with no real meaning or context to the subject at hand. However, like all things. Im guessing its all just based on ones point of view.

Sincerely,
Daysteppr

PS: Petn is one of my favorite mods!

DeletedUser

every time i see someone wanting to go into details and make a lengthy comments about a short sentence or what not, even including every quotations from others post, i dont know about everyone else (naturally i speak for myself) they come to play TW and go to the external forum to post some PnP and debate which is understandable. i go to the forums to be all caught up with the wars and infos with whats going with the world 'right now' yet when i see lengthy post after lengthy posts, i go

Then why not just go to sleep? I don't think anyone cares about whether you actually read it or not. But when you don't take the time to read it, but you have plenty of time to go dig up a fail picture to try to make the poster look like an idiot for having bothered to put effort into a post, it tends to have the opposite effect. Is amazing sometimes that someone has time to dig up a few crap pictures, have detailed conversations about "Look how such and such thinks he's got a point and I'm SO cool I'm not even reading it" but has no time for the post.

Is where I think they're full of it...that in fact, they do read--they just know there's no way to respond without acknowledging the accuracy of the poster when the truth isn't in their favor. Is no better than saying that someone is "Pulling stats out of his ass" or being otherwise critical of some stat posted here, when one doesn't like the results of the them.

DeletedUser

Is where I think they're full of it...that in fact, they do read--they just know there's no way to respond without acknowledging the accuracy of the poster when the truth isn't in their favor.

Or one can't be arsed to write a long post for whatever reason there is

DeletedUser

Is where I think they're full of it...that in fact, they do read--they just know there's no way to respond without acknowledging the accuracy of the poster when the truth isn't in their favor.
Or one can't be arsed to write a long post for whatever reason there is

we're kinda going round in circles here, lol. the point is that we don't expect everyone to make these long posts, it's when they complain about other people making them and try to ridicule the poster. claiming not to read it when they almost certainly have (the people that the posts are aimed at will read them imo) and then using the length of the post as the basis for their response instead of using the content of the post as the basis for their response, thus completely avoiding having to actually deal with anything that has been said and trying to shift the attention away from facts and onto pointless name calling, whether it is direct name calling or just using pics that imply things about people.

zakipoo

Then why not just go to sleep? I don't think anyone cares about whether you actually read it or not. But when you don't take the time to read it, but you have plenty of time to go dig up a fail picture to try to make the poster look like an idiot for having bothered to put effort into a post, it tends to have the opposite effect. Is amazing sometimes that someone has time to dig up a few crap pictures, have detailed conversations about "Look how such and such thinks he's got a point and I'm SO cool I'm not even reading it" but has no time for the post.

Is where I think they're full of it...that in fact, they do read--they just know there's no way to respond without acknowledging the accuracy of the poster when the truth isn't in their favor. Is no better than saying that someone is "Pulling stats out of his ass" or being otherwise critical of some stat posted here, when one doesn't like the results of the them.

as i said im entitled to my own opinion right?? you need to relax and take a chill pill, it wasnt even towards you or your post, it was about the long winded posts. its nearly everywhere tbh, am i complaining? meh half and half. im not denying it. i DID read this dumb useless thread all the way so i can comprehend what the hell is going on with you guys and the issues about the long winded posts and i wanted to throw in a piece of my mind like everyone else, what the hell do u expect? me to read it and say nothing??

i said my eyes hurts or my head hurts to make a laugh (joke) out of it for others who could possibly agree with me on that part after reading 4-5-6-7-8-9 back to back long winded posts. i was reading AND looking for those pictures to make a few statements.

[SPOIL]
Heres huntress after reading that misguided insult thrown at her!

pissed-off.png

(hug) hunt :D.

Go time!
[/SPOIL]
thats what i was thinking right now. after reading your recent post all upset or bothered about my post. thats how you seems to act everytime someone complains about it,.. if you dont want complaints about it then you know what to do, yet you would make another damn lengthy post complaining about other's complaining about your damn lengthy post.

as for Petnquaranlor,

[SPOIL]
I think the point that it trying to be made here is that it's not always a long post for the sake of a long post; sometimes there is quite literally that much to be said on the subject. But when users post something that doesn't have a picture every two sentences, they get flamed for "walls of text". If you ask me, that isn't "Equal opportunity language", that's demanding that all post be lowered to the easiest level of comprehension, and often the least amount of effort, which is not something that I would fine particularly desirable...

Besides, while 1 word and 1000 can often mean the same thing, sometimes the one word doesn't truly describe the situation well enough. I mean, you could use "Sunrise" to describe the sun coming up in the morning, but does it truly describe the magnificence of the tableau: the bright and vivid reds, yellows and even purples that light up the sky, as the sun slowly creeps over the horizon, the rush of warmth as the first rays of light reach you and the scenery around you is transformed from the dull colourless twilight by the golden rays of the new dawn. If you've ever been up for the sun rising, it's quite a serene moment, in fact there are very few things that are so stunning as a particularly good sunrise.

Does the word "Battlefield" truly encompass the blood, gore, and total maddening chaos of men trying their hardest to kill each other in brutal ways: all sense of civilization annihilated in the stinking mass of rage and fear?

and how about longer words? Does "calm" hold the same meaning as "serene"? I could have used either in the sunrise description, but honestly, calm just doesn't get the feeling across.

And how about more obscure words? Why use "bad" or "smelly" when you could use Putrid, or Rank, or Vile? The have so much more depth to them, why use a good word when a better word exists?
[/SPOIL]

of course i do get what youre saying. and i did pull a few things out of context. and it was on purpose and for the sake of posting. im not here to post to piss anybody off all the times, i post pictures to break the mood at times, make other chuckle a lil bit at least as a futile attempt to stop the lengthy post after another.
and no i didnt miss the point that you got across. i dont let it stop me from making that previous post for chuckles.

[SPOIL]see i can make a long post too! but its a waste of time i say... coulda been launching nukes and stuff at somebody instead of writing or reading a long ass post[/SPOIL]

greenmonsta

On a side note: Zakipoo (bolded so that it catches your attention), you do realise you just managed to epitomise the second part of my post in which I talked about images for the sake of images, right? You obviously read that part, as you paraphrased part of it in your post, but on the surface it looks like you did exactly what some here are giving out about the post in part, and commented on the bit you read without taking into account the rest of the post. As a result, you (intentionally or not) completely missed my point regarding images. They only really speak 1000 words if accompanied by enough substance to make them actually relevant. Your first image? fair enough, it's in context. The Second? Well... pushing it, ever so slightly. I could give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you were subtly implying that all long winded posts are essentially saying the same thing over and over, but I honestly think that was a happy accident, in the context of the rest of the post. And the last one? Seriously, there was no need for that one at all...

Also, Huntress: Thanks for the thought out reply, (one that was amusingly longer than the one I had posted :p), I would comment more on it but we would no doubt just end up repeating ourselves at this point: we both have our views, and while they overlap somewhat on some points, I think we both know that we aren't going to change each other's opinions any time soon! Oh, and I do apologise for doubting Faineancy was a word: I found it in a proper dictionary at home later.

>wall of text.

I'm too lazy to sit here and read through an essay when the poster could just as easily used a small paragraph.

But each to their own. Just because I don't like walls of text doesn't mean I can enforce my opinion on others.

DeletedUser

>wall of text.

I'm too lazy to sit here and read through an essay when the poster could just as easily used a small paragraph.

But each to their own. Just because I don't like walls of text doesn't mean I can enforce my opinion on others.

this kind of stuff amuses. i mean you say you aint read it but then say he could of used a small paragraph:lol: how can you be sure if you aint even taken the 45-60 seconds it took to read?

greenmonsta

this kind of stuff amuses. i mean you say you aint read it but then say he could of used a small paragraph:lol: how can you be sure if you aint even taken the 45-60 seconds it took to read?

I've always conveyed my points with a small paragraph.

And lol, pwnt by Tiger :icon_redface:

DeletedUser

as i said im entitled to my own opinion right?? you need to relax and take a chill pill, it wasnt even towards you or your post, it was about the long winded posts. its nearly everywhere tbh, am i complaining? meh half and half. im not denying it. i DID read this dumb useless thread all the way so i can comprehend what the hell is going on with you guys and the issues about the long winded posts and i wanted to throw in a piece of my mind like everyone else, what the hell do u expect? me to read it and say nothing??

You just made your own wall of text for nothing, because I was also speaking on general terms. A poster makes one post that 5 people don't want to read...and then those 5 people spend the next page or two arguing about how they don't want to read it. My response to that is "then just don't read it" and leave it to those who care to.

DeletedUser

thats what i was thinking right now. after reading your recent post all upset or bothered about my post. thats how you seems to act everytime someone complains about it,.. if you dont want complaints about it then you know what to do, yet you would make another damn lengthy post complaining about other's complaining about your damn lengthy post.

One would call it a healthy debate, not a complaint.

Words like 'whine', 'complaint' are some of the things they are talking about here.
People throw them out there in an effort to degrate the original poster, and counter their argument, instead of actually countering the substance of their post.

Someone has a statement to make.. Instead of countering it.. 'Oh hey look he/she's whining again!'
Someone posts stats to reflect the multiple wars they are fighting.. Instead of countering it.. 'Oh hey look he/she's complaining again!'

The forums are a place for discussion, debate, propoganda & politics.
If you don't want to contribute to that with your own added discussion, then why waste everyone's time with overused pics, that often don't even refer to the discussion at hand?

zakipoo

so what do u call it? :icon_confused:

DeletedUser

Dang, that pictures gonna hang over you forever now, sorry hunt! XD

Does the forum have an ignore button? Maybe it would be ideal for arguing parties to just.. *gasp*... ignore each other if it does ;).