Discussion: Overuse of Borderline Swear Words

DeletedUser

I've let a little of the swearing go on, as it wasn't directed at any one particular person, but I ask that you guys/gals refrain from repeatedly using it, as it's not content that all appreciate, and over excessive use isn't necessary, and will sooner or later be taken out of context.

Find a different word/phrase (I personally prefer what a crock), or just stop using it completely.

I have mail in my inbox from Albul telling me that people are allowed to say bullshit as it is not swearing, despite my arguements

Can you please tell us openly what you deem to be the swearing and what you deem to not be swearing?

Or at least highlight some examples???

I feel there is a lot of.......grey area?

DeletedUser

I have mail in my inbox from Albul telling me that people are allowed to say bullshit as it is not swearing, despite my arguements

Can you please tell us openly what you deem to be the swearing and what you deem to not be swearing?

Or at least highlight some examples???

I feel there is a lot of.......grey area?

There's often a lot of grey area when your dealing with a forum that's open to the public. What one will consider entertainment to read, another may consider it offensive. While I don't personally find the word bullshit overly offensive, when members start to over use it, or at the very least are not using it as a way to express their posts more passionately to prove a point, it will ruin the enjoyment for others.

While I'm not going to chastize anyone for using the odd swear word to emphasize a point (as long as it's not directed at a person as an insult or isn't one of those words in the rules we absolutely don't allow), I'm also not going to allow over use of those borderline words, which will just end up degrading the content from it's otherwise entertaining state.

EDIT: Another point to add, since I just thought of it. The capitalization, or bolding of such swear words, is also something I'd like to see avoided. There is no reason to give them more of a call out, than they already give themselves. Part of what brought on the subtle warning (that was subtle right?) was that the poster had capitalized a swear word, in a 3 word sentence, really not necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

If we're having a dizcuzzion on mizuze of language, can I make a plea about the mizuze of the letter 'z'?

Having been brought up to zpeak (and zpell) Englizh correctly, I find the utterly inappropriate use of 'z' in place of the far more elegant 's' in wordz zuch as 'chastize' and 'emphasize' to be deeply offenzive. Zurely zuch foul uze of language ought to be zubject to cenzure.

:)

DeletedUser

If we're having a dizcuzzion on mizuze of language, can I make a plea about the mizuze of the letter 'z'?

Having been brought up to zpeak (and zpell) Englizh correctly, I find the utterly inappropriate use of 'z' in place of the far more elegant 's' in wordz zuch as 'chastize' and 'emphasize' to be deeply offenzive. Zurely zuch foul uze of language ought to be zubject to cenzure.

:)

Something tells me David is bored :icon_rolleyes:

OT: I find the context of said word to be of far more importance than the word itself. Would take some examples to show what I mean....... but I can't be bothered. So use your imagination :p

I also agree with AYK in that the occasional swear can add feeling to a post. However, swearing for the sake of swearing is not something I wish to see.

DeletedUser

I agree totally with AYK and Noff

Basically be adult about it and it won't be an issue...right?

And yes the Americanisation (sorry...Americanization for you US types) can get very annoying

lol

DeletedUser

Something tells me David is bored :icon_rolleyes:

[expletive deleted] - you caught me.

OT: You can make people feel like crawling under a rock without swearing at them, and these fora are visited by youngsters too, so I tend to favour the law being tight, but the application measured by a sense of proportionality. Areyoukidden's intervention was intelligent modding.

(Do I get those extra PP now?)

DeletedUser

Provide me that love letter, and I'll find a way to fund that PP.

(anyone out there want to give me some PP for a love letter from sihdir abad? I'm sure you could make some great PnP with it!)

DeletedUser

he only needs PP because he paid me to write HIM a love letter and I kept the PP and had my good friends in ~RAID~ wipe him out

MWAH-HAHAHAHA!

DeletedUser

actually i have to change the names in your love letter from abad to AYK and then pass it to him
hey sticks stop flirting here hun lets keep it in private
and whos your friends in raid that would wipe me out?
joker? sorry hes not around
rohan? sorry busy with deesse
LBJ? busy with finding some photos for the tribe BOOBS...the tribe disbanded but he is still looking
nuffish? he is counting keyboard keys
who else?
UBM? after focalor left hes depressed
never mind,have you done the letter?hurry or i,ll have to find a new boy friend

DeletedUser

actually i have to change the names in your love letter from abad to AYK and then pass it to him
hey sticks stop flirting here hun lets keep it in private
and whos your friends in raid that would wipe me out?
joker? sorry hes not around
rohan? sorry busy with deesse
LBJ? busy with finding some photos for the tribe BOOBS...the tribe disbanded but he is still looking
nuffish? he is counting keyboard keys
who else?
UBM? after focalor left hes depressed
never mind,have you done the letter?hurry or i,ll have to find a new boy friend

I checked and your account got wiped out ages ago so.....looks like the letter won't be needed

Sorry treacle :lol:

DeletedUser

noffish or nuffish...same for me...both reminds me noobish

DeletedUser

Sihdir, I have already beaten you once in game.... ;)

Rizzla, you know deep down that I am, and always will be, your idol. :icon_twisted:

DeletedUser

yeah you have done it before with an account 5 times bigger than me and no support in my place while i was alone in middle of raid in K52
can you do that again Mark?

DeletedUser

If my current account wasn't of such importance I'd happily switch roles just to prove a point :p

DeletedUser

prove what? XD

Noff would absolutely OWN you.........I like you Sihdir Abad even though you say daft stuff....but Noff would make you stop logging in

Well.....if he ever logged in himself :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

like me?...you should love me
and i didnt get your meaning by stopping me from logging in