Critique Thread

DeletedUser

bastilla.png

Meh. I'm trying to improve my lighting, but I think this one was too much.

mattoematt

you are quite right i just was bored and take my corel ;-)
nevertheless thanks for the hard critic, so while creating my next tag I will consider such aspects again :icon_smile:

Hey, you should see some of the crap I produce :lol: I just don't show it around here!

DeletedUser

were you drunk or seriously angry last night ??? :icon_rolleyes:

Off topic post. I think you should infract yourself for that GE. .. good question though :icon_biggrin:

@harb That text is huge, and it kind of detracts away from the rest of the sig. The person is kind of pushed to the side and the text is pretty much made the focal point, which is shouldn't. Yeah, the lighting probably is a bit too much, but it was worth trying anyway.

DeletedUser

[SPOIL]
[/SPOIL]

Top: To me the lighting is kinda off? On the render there is light coming up onto his chect/arm from below? Then you haven't really picked up on that, making the sig look err dunno what word :S I also think the text is too big and kinda distracting from the render. I think the flow of the sig, the bg and render, is pretty good though :)

Middle: I like this sig more, although I've always been told by anyone with GFX experience that the render mustn't be in the middle of the render, there can be a few exceptions however I don't think this is one ><. I'd say move it either left or right to comply with "the rule of thirds" ^^ and then move the text to comply also. Then I'd feel that the background would feel kinda empty, maybe you could use a stock of a dark room (or wherever you want the guy to be) and have it on a low opacity/very dark or whatever, I think that'd add a bit more to the sig

Bottom: I don't really know much about topaz, if you've used it, so yeah I cant really comment on that art of the sig. I'm also not very familiar on pretty much anything concerning verts so I can't really comment lol

I'm pretty noob at CnC so sorry if my efforts failed j00.

I made this sig from a tut, usually I show my efforts to GE and he'll give me a few tips and I'll change som stuff but since he wasn't around Zenron helped me ^^ (I'm sorry GE I still love you <3)

eminemtut.png

And without the line:
eminemtutnoline.png

Which dya prefer?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Prefer without the line.
To be honest, the render doesn't seem to blend into the background, on the left he has a really sharp outline.
I quite like it though. But personally, I am never fond of those bars on the sides -.-

You'll be better than me quickly, if you aren't already :L

DeletedUser

Dear people of the interwebs, from now on out in this thread I'm just going to be giving out realistic CnC, no flowery words or anything like that. I'm going to be harsh, but not mean. Just wanted to make that clear. I was going to make a topic for it but decided against it when I realised that nobody would post there. Anyway, here I go.

@Beckie It's needs sharpening in some areas and part of the background is still centered. I blame Peewee, the guy who made your tutorial. Sometimes the people who make these tutorials are just plain wrong, so try and stick to the basic principles of composition. The reason why we place key elements on the intersects rather than the middle is because the eye is most naturally drawn to these intersects rather than the center. The only other criticism I could give is to not follow the tutorial so closely. Your sig is pretty much exactly the same as the one used in the tutorial. The tutorial is there to teach you the techniques, not to teach you how to replicate their sig.

@Harcore The C4D one really isn't one of your best. This is entirely because of the C4D itself. It really doesn't fit with the rest of the sig. It smothers the Crysis render and the C4D has pretty much become the focal point which really isn't what you want. As for the smudging sigs, you should try and add more colour to them. It would probably be helpful if you looked up colour schemes(or just read the colour part of that tutorial I made).

As for the smudging itself, it needs more depth. Add layers to it, get some stocks and smudge from there. Smudging is a lot more time consuming that a lot of people seem to think. Mess around with the layer modes and the strength of the brush to create different textures. As a little help, here's a .PSD of a smudging tag I did recently, and if you really want to see how Pro's do it, I suggest downloading this .PSD pack from deviantart. These are pretty much the best smudging sigs around, and you will be able to learn a lot from them. Of course, you're not as good as them and you probably won't be for a long time, but it will still help.

@Luc Not one of your best luc. Aside from the render, it's monotone, and would best if you accentuated the blue from the helmet in other parts of the sig. Also, too much blending. The render is barely distinguishable from the rest of the tag. You could probably solve that while you're messing with the colours.

DeletedUser81336

I finally added some text on, I don't really like it though. It's my 1st serious sig back and my first sig used C4Ds, so be nice. D:

MeganSig3.jpg

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I finally added some text on, I don't really like it though. It's my 1st serious sig back and my first sig used C4Ds, so be nice. D:

MeganSig3.jpg

You never got rid of the blurred megan in the background, so the sig is still left with two focal points. I suggest taking your hands away from the blur tool to be honest. The C4D's aren't far enough back in our depth of field that they would be blurred, and it makes the sig look weird. Anyway, the best thing I could suggest is look up some tutorials. I told you to look up on GIMPtalk, but I think it would be easier for me to just give you a list from there of awesome tutorials:

Kamangir's tutorials - Probably the best tutorials you're going to find for GIMP, anywhere.
Geocillin's DeviantArt
Chapter 1 tutorial, Greentunic
Metroid Tutorial, Greentunic
Jin is lost, Greentunic
Jester Tutorial, Greentunic
Rikku Iwarp Tutorial, Greentunic
Clown Tutorial, Greentunic

Damn the fact that Greentunic doesn't have some sort of index where all his tutorials are. But anyway, there's your tutorials :icon_razz:

DeletedUser

yeah I decided to make it tag size as I didn't feel like spending forever and a day working on a large scale piece :p
Plus I can then use it as my sig if I want to :p

DeletedUser

Its a great piece, don't get me wrong.

But there are two things that are annoying me about it :)

1) That pattern that PS uses as a transparent bg is there.... :/
2) The focal aint too clear to me, as a sig :)

But, as I said, kiu!