OLD - World 57 Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Nope as far as im concerned, you dont go signing up to something if your not going to do it. What a disappointing blog. I 100% agree with omfg a hippy lol.

DeletedUser

Agreed. If you want the blog to contain more sustenance, why don't you offer to write a piece for it from your perspective or the perspective of your tribe and ask Amp to use it?

Will we be getting paid for it? I doubt it, so no.

DeletedUser100590

Will we be getting paid for it? I doubt it, so no.

It's just an urban myth that Moderators, in-game staff and bloggers are paid enough to motivate them to work. For every month of work we do, we are give one months free premium. So in my opinion, do we get paid? No... we don't (and here's why!)

• Firstly, premium points (pp) isn't a well known curruncy. For example, I can't take a girl out on a date by buying her dinner with my stored pp can I?
  • Secondly, considering the amount of time we spend earning those pp's (whether that be waking up at 4 to check a thread because you're worried it's going to explode or staying up way past your desired time for sleep to work on a blog) most likely ends up working out at us earning a couple of pence per hour. Wait, what am I saying, not pence because legally we can't sell those points for money can we? Doh!
At the end of the day, we are volunteers. the premium points aren't a wage, but more a thank you gift. Amp volunteers to write this blog and up until recently he has been creating more blogs per month than he was ever expected to. I suggest, rather than whining about money or how he isn't earning the amount he'll be given, you either contribute or stop whining.

DeletedUser

It's just an urban myth that Moderators, in-game staff and bloggers are paid enough to motivate them to work. For every month of work we do, we are give one months free premium.

Now I know that is false. You get more than a month per month of work. Either way, I was really only joking with my above post. With all sincerity, I hope Amp is OK in RL. That sort of absence usually means something more important going on, whether it be good or, hopefully not, bad.

One Last Shot...

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
At the end of the day, we are volunteers. the premium points aren't a wage, but more a thank you gift. Amp volunteers to write this blog and up until recently he has been creating more blogs per month than he was ever expected to. I suggest, rather than whining about money or how he isn't earning the amount he'll be given, you either contribute or stop whining.

With respect, any sort of "gift" being given for doing a job, that is done on a regular basis, is the same as a wage. As someone who's worked behind a bar, I can say that I am not "paid" in free drinks and food as well as money to pour pints, but given these as "thank you gifts" from the people who I work for. It's exactly the same thing. Just because payment isn't in real money, doesn't mean that it isn't payment. You get payment for doing your job - you don't get payment for not doing your job.

All I can see on this thread recently is a blog which a lot of people had different complaints about. And rightly so in my opinion. Although it's understandable that Amp has a lot going on in real life, equally whilst he has the title of W57 blogger he is expected to do what that position holds. Plus, this being a fairly new world there is currently a lot to blog about. And so for the community, the bloggers (as paid tribalwars staff) are expected at this stage to do blogs on a regular basis and keep up to date with the world events.

At the end of the day, you can hardly expect people within the community to do something for free that someone else gets payment for doing. I wouldn't clean a toilet in a public place for free, when someone else is paid to do so. It takes time to do, and a lot of effort. Plus, as most of the people playing W57 don't have the purple forum name there is the issue of someone who steps up to write an unofficial blog not being trusted for not being an official blogger. I've had this problem in the past when I stepped up to do a world newspaper - people often just don't trust you enough to give an interview if you aren't an official employee for InnoGames in their eyes. So, your argument is ignoring/denying a lot of the perks not only to make the job worthwhile, but actually make it possible to do.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

1. One month free premium costs me about $15. From what I understand bloggers are required to write one blog per month. For writing this one blog I think $15 is not an unreasonable price to be paid and I would expect that for $15 something a little better than an update made predominantly of what appears to be information garnered from the externals.

2. I feel it is necessary to define volunteer. There are several different definitions for this word but the one that seems appropriate here, considering you've said that in your opinion you do not get paid, is this;

vol•un•teer
a person who performs a service willingly and without pay.

Perhaps now, we should look at the definitions of payment.

pay•ment
noun
1. something that is paid; an amount paid; compensation; recompense.
2. the act of paying.
3. reward or punishment; requital.

The particular portion of this that appears to me to be the most applicable would, I imagine, be the third definition. Now considering you've just said that it is a thank you gift in exchange for services rendered would imply that it is indeed a reward, which, in effect makes it a payment. Please do not insult my intelligence trying to say bloggers do not get paid.

3. I am not, and neither is anyone else in this thread, talking about forum moderation. Here we are talking about the blog, so please do not derail the thread.

4. Regardless of whether or not it IS a volunteer job, the fact that it is posted here in the externals for everybody to read means that it needs to be open to criticism. You should not engage in an activity, volunteer or otherwise, if you do not want to hear criticism. I can only imagine that the reason this thread is open to be posted in and not locked is for people to give feedback on. I trust I don't also need to give a definition for feedback.

DeletedUser

Agreed. If you want the blog to contain more sustenance, why don't you offer to write a piece for it from your perspective or the perspective of your tribe and ask Amp to use it?

You ask us to contribute eh? I took about an hour out of my own time back in the RAoV days answering questions that ampatriot was borderline harrassing me for over skype. I actually put a fair bit of thought into it and was looking forward to seeing what he had to say.

Nothing of that was even put in the blog. I would advise nobody to contribute as there is a good chance you'd be just wasting your time like I did. I didnt even get premium for my services. Thats what you would call volunteering.

DeletedUser

You do know, bloggers do not even get 1month free pp unless they do a certain amount of blogs. (not sure am permitted to reveal this so will go no further).

In my book only be prepared to criticise if you are willing to do it yourself.

Nice work amp.

In my personal opinion, blogging is a harder job than managing my 50million + account.

@nifty you just got interviewed. You could have said no , but wanted to look good on personal stage and help out.

In my opinion you deserved no pp just for providing an interview . what was your brain thinking when you said thaT????

Rich

DeletedUser

@nifty you just got interviewed. You could have said no , but wanted to look good on personal stage and help out.

In my opinion you deserved no pp just for providing an interview . what was your brain thinking when you said thaT????

Rich

I dont want premium for giving an interview lol! I was making a point that I did help ampatriot with info like humble tree suggested but to no avail. He asked me for info, I took the time to give it to him but he never even posted a thing here lol. Maybe i just suck at interviews :p

Although you cant blame me for being a little disappointed that the questions i took the time to answer never ended up in the blog.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Now I know that is false. You get more than a month per month of work. Either way, I was really only joking with my above post. With all sincerity, I hope Amp is OK in RL. That sort of absence usually means something more important going on, whether it be good or, hopefully not, bad.

You are correct, moderators receive more than one month's worth if you are playing one world. However, many moderators use their premium for competitions (I've run 3 already, and only been a moderator since May, getting my first payment in June). I do hope Amp is alright as well, as he's a blogger for another world (one I moderate), and I do highly enjoy his work/conversation :icon_confused:.

With respect, any sort of "gift" being given for doing a job, that is done on a regular basis, is the same as a wage. As someone who's worked behind a bar, I can say that I am not "paid" in free drinks and food as well as money to pour pints, but given these as "thank you gifts" from the people who I work for. It's exactly the same thing. Just because payment isn't in real money, doesn't mean that it isn't payment. You get payment for doing your job - you don't get payment for not doing your job.

To be fair, OLS, we are regularly paid but do not need it. Some forums get hardly a few posts a month, does that mean the moderator is not doing his job because he doesn't have one, and doesn't get the premium? No, it doesn't, for the reason that the moderator's premium received does not hinge on whether or not he has done his job. It is allocated to help run competitions and to save. You know I don't lie :icon_wink:.

All I can see on this thread recently is a blog which a lot of people had different complaints about. And rightly so in my opinion. Although it's understandable that Amp has a lot going on in real life, equally whilst he has the title of W57 blogger he is expected to do what that position holds. Plus, this being a fairly new world there is currently a lot to blog about. And so for the community, the bloggers (as paid tribalwars staff) are expected at this stage to do blogs on a regular basis and keep up to date with the world events.

At the end of the day, you can hardly expect people within the community to do something for free that someone else gets payment for doing. I wouldn't clean a toilet in a public place for free, when someone else is paid to do so. It takes time to do, and a lot of effort. Plus, as most of the people playing W57 don't have the purple forum name there is the issue of someone who steps up to write an unofficial blog not being trusted for not being an official blogger. I've had this problem in the past when I stepped up to do a world newspaper - people often just don't trust you enough to give an interview if you aren't an official employee for InnoGames in their eyes. So, your argument is ignoring/denying a lot of the perks not only to make the job worthwhile, but actually make it possible to do.

Well, put quite simply I don't know whether or not the complaints about Ampatriot are founded or not. However, I recently had a similar situation to this on World 56, when the blogger had a similar situation. I will say here what I said there; this is not the place to discuss it. If you have complaints, bring it to the head blogger in private. I'm sure if you all sent a message expressing your concerns, it would be handled (as it has been in the past, I've seen it happen). Complaining on the forums however will not get you anywhere, though it will create the ruckus you've seen on this thread that is rather unnecessary. Once more, I understand your point, but don't condone posting about it here :icon_razz:.

In addition, I just want to point out that there are those who do said job for free. Once more referring to World 56, an alternative blog was released (not in the spirit of competition). Both currently run, and both attempt to make sure to cover what the other hasn't to ensure that the world receives the best, equal coverage possible. I would strongly suggest that players do the same here. Why? Because if you want change, the easiest way is to take the routes available. To be perfectly honest, posting here will get you nowhere. As I've said, you can always contact his head blogger with your concerns. In the meantime, creating an alternative blog in the spirit of bringing a little bit of a different perspective is always welcome, so long as it's not attacking the official blogger in any way. Many worlds are thankful for that, and the contribution to the community alone makes it worth it, I'm told. Perhaps it's an avenue someone in this world would like to explore?

1. One month free premium costs me about $15. From what I understand bloggers are required to write one blog per month. For writing this one blog I think $15 is not an unreasonable price to be paid and I would expect that for $15 something a little better than an update made predominantly of what appears to be information garnered from the externals.

You are incorrect on how a blogger's salary works. They only receive one month of free premium for 4 blogs a month. Anything short of that results in a decreased payment for the month. As I said, I understand your complaints, but this is not the place for them.

2. I feel it is necessary to define volunteer. There are several different definitions for this word but the one that seems appropriate here, considering you've said that in your opinion you do not get paid, is this;

vol•un•teer

pay•ment
noun
2. the act of paying.

The particular portion of this that appears to me to be the most applicable would, I imagine, be the third definition. Now considering you've just said that it is a thank you gift in exchange for services rendered would imply that it is indeed a reward, which, in effect makes it a payment. Please do not insult my intelligence trying to say bloggers do not get paid.

How interesting...here, allow me to quote another definition for you :):

vol·un·teer   [vol-uhn-teer] Show IPA
noun
a person who voluntarily offers himself or herself for a service or undertaking.

There are a million definitions for every word, all applicable to context. Bloggers do get paid, he never denied that. However, bloggers get paid dramatically less than you seem to believe, and him not doing his job only takes away from his own payment, believe me. Your complaints, already in the wrong place, are falling on the ears of someone who is well aware (because his wallet will be paying for the premium) of the consequences, and who wouldn't make such a choice to not make more in-depth/consistently made blogs without a very good reason for his absence :).

3. I am not, and neither is anyone else in this thread, talking about forum moderation. Here we are talking about the blog, so please do not derail the thread.

I'm sure it was just an example. Speaking of derailing the thread, are you aware you're doing it with these complaints?

4. Regardless of whether or not it IS a volunteer job, the fact that it is posted here in the externals for everybody to read means that it needs to be open to criticism. You should not engage in an activity, volunteer or otherwise, if you do not want to hear criticism. I can only imagine that the reason this thread is open to be posted in and not locked is for people to give feedback on. I trust I don't also need to give a definition for feedback.

Read above.

You ask us to contribute eh? I took about an hour out of my own time back in the RAoV days answering questions that ampatriot was borderline harrassing me for over skype. I actually put a fair bit of thought into it and was looking forward to seeing what he had to say.

Nothing of that was even put in the blog. I would advise nobody to contribute as there is a good chance you'd be just wasting your time like I did. I didnt even get premium for my services. Thats what you would call volunteering.

Depends entirely on the experience. Sorry to hear that he didn't use it, but things happen :).

I dont want premium for giving an interview lol! I was making a point that I did help ampatriot with info like humble tree suggested but to no avail. He asked me for info, I took the time to give it to him but he never even posted a thing here lol. Maybe i just suck at interviews :p

Although you cant blame me for being a little disappointed that the questions i took the time to answer never ended up in the blog.

I know your frustration, but at the same time it shouldn't discourage you from further contributions. Sometimes events change, plans for the blog change, and things change altogether that make certain interviews irrelevant. However, contributions are what help the blog stay interesting. In addition, the alternative blog idea is always available for further contribution :).

Hopefully I helped clear some things up. If you have further questions, I have no authority to moderate this forum, but I strongly suggest that you instead refer them to the appropriate management (head blogger, in this case) rather than clutter this thread :).

DeletedUser84663

You are correct, moderators receive more than one month's worth if you are playing one world. However, many moderators use their premium for competitions (I've run 3 already, and only been a moderator since May, getting my first payment in June). I do hope Amp is alright as well, as he's a blogger for another world (one I moderate), and I do highly enjoy his work/conversation :icon_confused:.
now I know you don't do much moderation on that world... and there's less for amp to blog about in that world :icon_razz:

Hopefully I helped clear some things up. If you have further questions, I have no authority to moderate this forum, but I strongly suggest that you instead refer them to the appropriate management (head blogger, in this case) rather than clutter this thread :).
I, as I'm sure others, thank you for the clarifications... but even with that, it does not get anyone closer to doing their own blog. It would just become another flame fest lol... I personally enjoy amp's blogs, even if they lack all information from the world.

When he comes back (I'm sure his new puter just got shot again), I would suggest people accept interviews with him, provide him some stats, rumours, facts, funnies that this world has endured since he last was here. The more help he gets, the better the blog is for everyone to read.

Remember these blogs are meant for the world to enjoy, more of a historical timeline summary from a (mostly) non-biased player, and everyone's input helps define the history of the world. How many worlds in TW are detailed enuff that someone from outside could really understand what has happened over the 1,2,3, even 4 years since it started? All the tribe changes, disbands, rimings, merges, mass deletes, wars, victories, losses... Blogs help tell that story. And only the readership can help the blogger make it better.

DeletedUser

True enough, but I do speak to him :icon_razz:. So obviously I value his input :icon_wink:. I've also read his past work, which makes me appreciate him more :icon_biggrin:.

I agree, those are the purposes of the blog. I hope that some of the clarifications and encouragements to make a new blog don't just fall on deaf ears, as I really enjoy reading both blogs on W56. The different perspectives both make for interesting reading, and the world has greatly praised both, so I'm sure it would be nice here if someone wants to pitch in some time :). Completely up to them, of course, but it's always nice to contribute :). And when amp gets back, as I'm sure he will, the two can work to make sure to cover certain areas more indepth than they could alone, saving time and making more blogs. Always fun, no :icon_wink:?

But like I said, these flamefests do nothing, so why make them :icon_confused:? I see your points guys, but let's just try and get the solutions moving, rather than post about it here and argue :).

DeletedUser

Why don't all the people complaining offer to help out? Even if you don't become the actual blogger I am sure there are some avid readers who fancy a chance at writing their own stories. I personally am terrible at English and would consider it an insult to even ask me to do it :D

I don't have the time to help out, its why I didn't volunteer for the job. I have volunteered in other things though, and when I did volunteer I was expected to do the job I volunteered for, regardless of payment (which I didn't receive). This is the same case here, he volunteered for the job, and did a good job for a while, however he has been MIA recently; if he's too busy in real life to be able to keep up, thats fine, real life gets in the way very often on this game, we all understand that, but step down or get someone to replace you while you are gone. If you can't do the job, even if its temporarily, then find someone who can at least step in until you are ready to take over again.

DeletedUser

I don't have the time to help out, its why I didn't volunteer for the job. I have volunteered in other things though, and when I did volunteer I was expected to do the job I volunteered for, regardless of payment (which I didn't receive). This is the same case here, he volunteered for the job, and did a good job for a while, however he has been MIA recently; if he's too busy in real life to be able to keep up, thats fine, real life gets in the way very often on this game, we all understand that, but step down or get someone to replace you while you are gone. If you can't do the job, even if its temporarily, then find someone who can at least step in until you are ready to take over again.

I understand, not everyone has the time. It's clear that he doesn't right now, I've seen. But posting here doesn't get it anywhere. I strongly urge anyone reading this thread to contact the head blogger with your concern so he is aware of it. If you are reading this thread and wish to help out until he is back, you are always free to write an alternative blog, or contact the head blogger to see about temporarily stepping in (try any possibilities :)). But like I said, this thread isn't the place for it, and it's somewhat repetitive at this point :icon_razz:.

DeletedUser

My apologies u6s5l., I didnt see the part where it says "This thread is only for handing out praise do not post here if you have complaints." I'll keep it in mind in future. LOL

DeletedUser

My apologies u6s5l., I didnt see the part where it says "This thread is only for handing out praise do not post here if you have complaints." I'll keep it in mind in future. LOL

An apology from keen?

Your pants must be off

DeletedUser

My apologies, I was unaware that you were unable to offer criticism. Duly noted, I do hope you don't do so again in the future. Thanks, and I look forward to your silence on the subject :icon_wink:.

All kidding and sarcasm aside (and before you try to use that against me, it was a joke, I don't want you to not post constructive criticism here), I think you definitely knew what I meant, but are instead trying to generalize my statements to vilify me. You have every right to criticize on this thread...but only to criticize the blogs themselves, not the blogger. Complaints about the blogger go to the head blogger, whereas complaints about the blog itself (which should be constructive criticism that isn't repeated for a few pages of posting) can be posted here :icon_wink:. Little guideline:

Complaints that belong in this thread:

• Blog does not have enough factual evidence/proof
  • Blog was not long enough
  • Blog did not contain enough cookies

Complaints that go to head blogger:

• Blogger is not producing enough blogs
  • Blogger is consistently ignoring constructive suggestions
  • Blogger is not sparkly enough

Hope that cleared that up for you, any further questions, I urge you all to PM me with. I don't want this thread to become an unnecessary flamefest again :icon_biggrin:.

DeletedUser

• Firstly, premium points (pp) isn't a well known curruncy. For example, I can't take a girl out on a date by buying her dinner with my stored pp can I?
  • Secondly, considering the amount of time we spend earning those pp's (whether that be waking up at 4 to check a thread because you're worried it's going to explode or staying up way past your desired time for sleep to work on a blog) most likely ends up working out at us earning a couple of pence per hour. Wait, what am I saying, not pence because legally we can't sell those points for money can we? Doh!
LOL I laughed at this, you could always take her for a first date on W58/W59 when it opens :lol: If she runs, PP really isn't the way to show a girl a good time, if she doesn't...well...don't ruin the poor girls life with this game :lol::lol::lol:

You got thank you gifts AND a wage, our dear staff do not get both and I would wager 1 hour of your bar work done is at least twice as much as what our staff get for a month and for a lot more time spent.

At the end of the day, you can hardly expect people within the community to do something for free that someone else gets payment for doing. I wouldn't clean a toilet in a public place for free, when someone else is paid to do so.

I'm sure that the staff often DO feel like the work they do for this world is like cleaning a toilet for all the...errrrmm excrement (will I get infracted for that?) they get for it...

That ratio seems a bit off to me...it's £4 for me in English Sterling for a month of premium, I seriously doubt the $ is THAT weak to the £. for me a month of premium is the equivalent of a Macdonalds Happy meal, so going back to what Humble said, no, it's really not enough to take a girl out to dinner.

vol•un•teer

pay•ment
noun
2. the act of paying.

I found you another definition to consider, the "particular portion of this that appears to me to be the most applicable" is in bold.
slavery [ˈsleɪvərɪ]
n
1. (Law) the state or condition of being a slave; a civil relationship whereby one person has absolute power over another and controls his life, liberty, and fortune
2. the subjection of a person to another person, esp in being forced into work
3. the condition of being subject to some influence or habit
4. (Business / Industrial Relations & HR Terms) work done in harsh conditions for low pay

Anyone ever tell you that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit...and also very hard to convey in text...

Status
Not open for further replies.