Home Guard

cececole

Don't you always wonder where a tribe comes up with its name?

The Home Guard (initially "Local Defence Volunteers" or LDV, or in humorous slang, Look, Duck, Vanish, hence the name change) was a defence organisation of the British Army during the Second World War. Operational from 1940 until 1944, the Home Guard—comprising 1.5 million local volunteers otherwise ineligible for military service, usually owing to age, hence the nickname 'Dad's Army' — acted as a secondary defence force, in case of invasion by the forces of Nazi Germany and their allies. (source:Wikipedia)

So, basically, "rebranded RAM" is made up of those otherwise not fight to fight except in Home Guard :p The Home Guard was entirely defensive organisation. It had no offensive role at all. They were there to protect against an invasion that never came.

Wow--naming a TW tribe Home Guard just screams "hey, we are a tribe on the move ready to take on W30! lol.

**With attribution to skyhawk3 who came up with this bit of research.

silvereclipes

I just call them the Grampa Brigade since they are the home guard,,:lol:

DeletedUser79042

I often wondered in the past where the early game term "turtle" came from :icon_razz:

DeletedUser67579

Turtle refers to someone that likes their defense. Turtles when under attack pull into their shells to wait until the attack is over.

DeletedUser79042

to wait until the attack is over

But that does not compute. When the attacks were over, they got nobled. So, no more safehouse for them... :icon_wink:
Mystery.

DeletedUser67579

no it does not compute that is the thinking if they put enough support in and ride it out the attacks will cease

silvereclipes

only time the attacks stop is when the other players run out of offense to send at you an all that means is its a lull before the next storm.

DeletedUser

agreed. No attacks ever stopped :icon_wink:

I dunno.

I remember this one account I was defending recently, where the primary attacker got bored after attacking me so much, and making so little headway, and eventually he decided RL was more important, and deleted. :icon_rolleyes:

Seriously tho, turtling is not so much about winning by outlasting the attacks (even though it sometimes works that way if the attacker gets bored) as it is about making yourself harder to noble than the next guy. Just like surviving a rampaging bear: You don't need to run faster than the bear; you only need to run faster than the other guy. So, in the long run it's not a winning strategy. But if it keeps you alive long enough for your tribemates to launch a counter attack, or for your allies to finish their war and attack your enemy from behind, then turtling is a perfectly acceptable strategy.

DeletedUser

I agree.

If you can defend well enough, opponents will always look for easier targets. Sometimes attacking someone else just spread your defenses even more so it is smarter sometimes to just turtle up.

Then, you can fight back when times come. It's a matter of getting a good momentum on offense and break the other tribe on defense.

Bend but don't break, bounce back and kick ass.

DeletedUser79042

Bend but don't break, bounce back and kick ass.

turtles can do none of the 3 :lol: <<-- comment on turtle topic :)

I remember this one account I was defending recently, where the primary attacker got bored after attacking me so much, and making so little headway, and eventually he decided RL was more important, and deleted.

Hmmm... It was not just me the primary attacker. In fact, there were at least another 5 players who could easily had this title. But thanks for your marketing :lol:
As for the rest, history is evident now. Once I deleted and you gave up fighting for a lost cause (as usual, but since you like it I am okay), mayhem happened in the vicinity and in RAM in general.

DeletedUser79042

Excuse me for interrupting this beautiful days of -HG-, but who is driving MWittman? Sorry, "piloting" :)

It seems he must be the 1.5k barb nobler champion of the past 2 months, with appr. 120 barbs of this ... magnitude.

I also detected a noble spree 4 days ago when he "took out" 20 in a single day.

Last I remember having so much success in this world was parmenion's pilot shortly before I left BH.

What a pity :icon_cry:

DeletedUser

bnkrmike24 on 03.02.
Hey Wittman,

Just thought I'd touch base. Haven't spoken to you in a very long time :) Thought you had quit a while back when I was still playing in RAM... Hope things are doing well. Tomy tells me you've been playing World of Tanks with him. Good game?

At a tw level, just wanted to point something out to you that I just saw on your profile.

Author wrote:
Personal text
I dont want your stinking villages! i just want to burn them to the ground!!!

This account is managed and paid for by the No Sleep corporation.

wookieem is tastey, like candy from baby

This is why i play tw. i very much enjoy fighting and the many unknowns that come with it. its a great trip using your mind against another mind and battling with armies in cities all to bring more wealth to the military machine! that is what im talking about.

god i enjoy this fighting part of the game. i have a good fight going were its heading into a long fight. which is good because i believe that i can sustain this kind of fast paced fighting longer than they can

So anyways, this recent flurry of 1500 barb nobling seems to contradict your profile page and the reasons why you still play this game. Surely there are still sat accounts in RAM/HG where you can noble proper sized villages instead of everybody's farms :(

Art-1 just deleted didn't he?

Chris

P.S. Say hi to Tomy coz I don't know which account he is on to do it myself :)

Michael Wittman on 04.02.
hey! that was my perception at that time. I do fully enjoy that aspect of tw and have fought many a battle with very good players at close and long range. it is the will of the player that must be broken, otherwise he will always cause you to expend energy to keep him down. and in the end in the concept of this game i enjoyed the fierce minute by minute battles of k47 but that was simply part of all that can be experienced.

Now We will do our thing and there is nothing anyone can do to stop it. a player can take a village but there is always another. i shouldnt say nothing, a player could grind another into the dust and phoenx can beat ram but that will not make them masters of this world. i strive to take everything from this point forward and just hang out and have a good time :)

DeletedUser79042

So, he is driving? Wow. What an ending... Reminds me of THE and JP's reasoning to keep a couple of low pt vills just for the history of the tribe. But that "reasoning" was much more reasonable than to expect to outlast W30 since noone will ever rim you because of your 1.5k barb population...

This game is full of unexpected (probably bs) strategies. Had I been the duke of HG I would kick wittman :icon_razz: Or is it the duke's strategy ? :lol:

Art-1 just deleted didn't he?

hm :icon_idea:

MR.MR

Mike Wittman is playing Mike wittman's account, and his goal is to noble every 1500 point barb and turn them into defensive villas but never build them up very big so noone will ever want to noble him out

DeletedUser79042

Mike Wittman is playing Mike wittman's account, and his goal is to noble every 1500 point barb and turn them into defensive villas but never build them up very big so noone will ever want to noble him out

Very ... strategic indeed. I am sooooo disappointed some times in this game. Not even the players of a small 300k rim tribe i know in another world, are thinking like that :icon_neutral:

FAIL.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

R2 what's fail is your strategy. I remember you were going to rim shipley but deleted long before he did. So don't talk about what is fail when you had a big failure yourself.

DeletedUser79042

R2 what's fail is your strategy. I remember you were going to rim shipley but deleted long before he did. So don't talk about what is fail when you had a big failure yourself.

Deletion is no strategy. It is endgame sport. You probably should know. You have done this, how many times ?? :lol: