• Poll closed .

MasterFire

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Welcome to the 46th SOTW - Comic strip

Normal rules apply:

- Still no breaking of anonymity
- No voting for yourself

Have fun and vote for your favorite! Voting will be open for 3 days.

gsrfield1.jpg

16hj7gk.png

comicstripx.png

16494563.jpg

Good luck!

DeletedUser104802

1 and 4 are very nice,but i put 4 :p jus feeling 1 is a bit lq

DeletedUser

They post them in the graphics section as SOWT Week __ [Insert theme here]
I think every week

DeletedUser102804

Just a question.. how do you enter these things? :p

We announce a different theme each week, and give you a week to make a signature, which you then PM to Syntex (or MasterFire if he's running it).

Pretty simple.

DeletedUser

Not that it's a problem really, but #3 doesn't even remotely relate to a comic? 4 looks like anime to me but close enough I suppose, but Halo might be pushing it for #3 -__-

DeletedUser

Both goes, comic strip or simply a comic style image.

To be honest, you could put anything as a "comic style".

I disagree, you can't put anything as comic style. Normally I'm pretty lenient as I prefer to rate based on the work rather than sticking to the theme, but that is definitely not classed as comic style, there is nothing related to comics in it, except potentially the .... and that sure is far fetched imo. Idk if he could have gone much further astray from the theme if he tried. :icon_confused:

Also an example of a comic strip would be #2 and an example of a comic style image would be #1. Halo definitely isn't a comic style image.

MasterFire

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
You're free not to vote on it if you think it doesn't meet the comic theme.

Technically however, Manga are basically comics from Japan. And from what I know, they did make an anime series of Halo (called Halo Legends), the likes of which I'd class as anime (regardless of it being made in Japan or not).

DeletedUser

You're free not to vote on it if you think it doesn't meet the comic theme.

Technically however, Manga are basically comics from Japan. And from what I know, they did make an anime series of Halo (called Halo Legends), the likes of which I'd class as anime (regardless of it being made in Japan or not).

Anime and manga are different, though yeah I'll retract what I said before after seeing the stock. The stock looks far more comicy than his signature makes it appear.

And I somehow don't think it matters since #3 doesn't look like it's going to win :icon_rolleyes:

MasterFire

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Well, I took the liberty of finding an episode online, try just after 16 minutes. I suppose you can't say it's your typical manga, but it's close enough for me.

(mind you, I am not a fan of manga nor anime, so I haven't delved much into it)

DeletedUser

that is definitely not classed as comic style, there is nothing related to comics in it

"Comic style" doesn't mean "about comics" or "with comic characters". It means in the style of... Comics. I don't know what you are getting confused with here. Comics are series of still images with (or without) text telling a story. The characters themselves don't matter for the "style".

It doesn't have to have "the hulk" to make it a comic. If someone wanted to draw their own they could submit it, it would still be "comic style". It doesn't have to be "about comics" themselves.

Also it was clearly specified in the thread that it doesn't have to be a "strip" it can be a single frame, which 3/4 were.

MasterFire

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
He's not contesting it should be a strip.

He's saying that the stock being used isn't evident enough in terms of being a comic after having been made into a signature. Which I'd have to agree with, because it looks like plain old Halo to me, which is a videogame, not a comic. It wasn't until I started looking for an anime/manga version of Halo that I discovered the stock itself in the form of a Halo Legends desktop image, which fairly clearly can be referred to as a comic/manga style series. Regardless of that, it's still not being that evident seeing that all it is is the regular Halo suits, though I'd say it still is. Mind you, I do think it is pushing the outer limit.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

"Comic style" doesn't mean "about comics" or "with comic characters". It means in the style of... Comics. I don't know what you are getting confused with here. Comics are series of still images with (or without) text telling a story. The characters themselves don't matter for the "style".

It doesn't have to have "the hulk" to make it a comic. If someone wanted to draw their own they could submit it, it would still be "comic style". It doesn't have to be "about comics" themselves.

Also it was clearly specified in the thread that it doesn't have to be a "strip" it can be a single frame, which 3/4 were.

I've already admitted I was wrong after seeing the stock :)
Though, if we assumed that the renders/stocks used were from the halo video game and there was no comic/anime based on it than I would go back to my previous statement. Yes yes yes you can usually argue that something matched the theme, just bare in mind that you should make an effort to stick with it rather than straying as far from it as possible, and you're welcome to your opinion, but I feel that having not seen the stock before, that particular signature seems very, very far from the theme.
There is no point having a theme at all if only some people are going to stick with it, whilst others stray. It wouldn't be fair on those who actually made an effort. If I entered my current sig I would certainly hope to not get any votes since it doesn't match the theme at all. Though maybe Ed Sheeran has a love of comic books and the leaves do have a somewhat comical appearance I must say ;)

But once again, want to point out I have no issue with that signature any more and it's relation to the theme, so this is a kind of pointless debate. Winner chooses next theme right? Do they do that after they win or what? I am a little confused. Not that I am expecting to win or anything, just don't want to win and then find out I missed out on choosing theme lol.

DeletedUser100345

i have to admit i'm a little bit disappointed bcoz of the participants
a comic is a complex thing and therefore it has a story to tell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comics

see the link and you'll see what i mean
i also would advice that the mod has to protect the theme otherwise
i enter anything and we always make freestyle

MasterFire

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
I can see your point, feel free to discuss that with the Syntex when he comes back, as I am only running the SOTW's when he's not around.

Winner chooses next theme right? Do they do that after they win or what? I am a little confused. Not that I am expecting to win or anything, just don't want to win and then find out I missed out on choosing theme lol.

You can choose a theme and send it along when you send in your entry, or you can pick one after you win. It is preferred to send one with your entry normally though.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

i have to admit i'm a little bit disappointed bcoz of the participants
a comic is a complex thing and therefore it has a story to tell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comics

see the link and you'll see what i mean
i also would advice that the mod has to protect the theme otherwise
i enter anything and we always make freestyle

That is true, but it is difficult to tell a story with just one picture(As is generally expected in a sig). That's why I would accept either a comic character or a comicy story. Though I suppose the main thing that saves these themes from being freestyle is the fact that voting is up to the voters, and if a sig doesnt match a theme, the voters should in theory not vote for it.

@ master, I'll think of some themes in case I win :S I do know that I would want as part of it to have stocks/renders shown with the sig, probably in a spoiler beneath it. Gives people an opportunity to compare the amount of work that has gone into the pieces. Maybe if I don't win the winner should ask for that ^^ :pP

Kash2Smash

all are good, but 1 and 2 stand out.
like the idea in 2, but i feel that maybe bit more work may have been put into 1.

voted for 1.