How important is the Duke in the tribe? (serious question)

DeletedUser119047

I've been in many failed tribes. My W89 tribe is doing okay.. but my question is:

How important is the Duke to the tribe? I understand that the "core players" are the back bone of the tribe and actually carry the tribe. But what about the Duke? Is her/his attitude, position, talent of talking have a great importance?

Also name a situation where "Your Duke" was a great example of a great leader.

BoneCrusher.Exe

Pretty sure that without a good brain the body (the tribe) won't function as it should, just take a look at Kirk for an opposite example of the aforesaid :D

DeletedUser119075

An Ideal Duke will have the following Skillset/Traits :

1. Diplomatic Intelligence : I personally feel at sizes the current worlds are, diplomacy is becoming less and less relevant. However start ups are always going to need someone with a brain for diplomacy, if not it will lead a highly potential tribe out the window. HOWEVER, a diplomat are usually assigned if the Duke acknowledges if he is not so good in this area, but in most cases the duke will always have involvement in diplomatic discussions whether he/she likes to or not. Also note diplomacy and politics of tw comes hand in hand, this includes things said by tribe members/leaders in the forums.

2. Trust and instill confidence : One of the most important attribute, if not the most important. The duke should be someone the tribe looks up to and believe in, if not members will question leaders in decisions which ultimately leading members to sway/ignore instructions. If the tribe has full confidence in the duke, members will act upon instructions without opposition to an extent. Alot of times when a duke fail to instill trust and confidence, the members will start doing their own thing and ignoring instructions. I myself have

3. Dedication : Ops aren't going to run itself, planning wars and organizing tribe structure is nothing short of time consuming, regardless of council help. The Duke will always have to over see the progress and effort made by the responsible person.

4. Fair judgement : Treat every member with respect and handle disputes fairly, alot of cases smaller players within the tribe gets treated alot different from the ones that are "screaming the loudest".

There are many more, but as you can see I cannot be arsed to write a paragraph for each. But yes a the members are the backbone, but without a stable leadership to guide it, you might as well kiss the tribe goodbye and see members in different tribes down the line.

sidd 271

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
well written post.. duke is really important, a tribe really gets scattered once their duke or council loses control over its members or goes inactive.

DeletedUser

Finally a damn serious topic.

My question for you pro players and pro leaders: Do you think its important for the "Duke" to have the highest or one of the highest points in the tribe? I see many Dukes lag behind village count and point average compared to the tribe.

What is your opinion -- How can you look up to a "leader" who has less points compared to most people in the tribe??

DeletedUser93954

I used to be a leader who ticked 3 out of 4 points that ExTribute listed. How many would I tick today? Still 3 out of 4 for the most part, but my passion for leading is long gone. I used to be a leader who would lag behind everyone else, and in one world I was isolated from the rest of the tribe for the entire time the tribe lived (about a year or two), and the short answer is: Size is not important.

If your tribe can see that you care for the well being of the tribe, constantly present in mails and forums and check points 2 and 4 on ExTribute's list, then respect and trust generally come naturally, regardless of their leader's size. The reasoning for a leader being smaller in size compared to everyone else is usually because of a few things, and the reason can be either just one or a mix of all of: defensive playstyle, complete focus on leading (to the point where their account becomes neglected to an extent), and dedication to improving others before themselves.

With that said however, if a leader can keep up with the growth of everyone else and maintains a good relation with the members in their tribe, it does instil more confidence into the tribe.

DeletedUser

A leader should be judged by how good their tribe is rather than their personal rank. In my personal opinion, time spent on the PP exchange or farming is time wasted for a top level leader and actually is detrimental to a tribe, taking in consideration opportunity cost. Some of the best leaders will just not play the game at all, it is a shame that there are so few top level leaders (if any) left still leading.

DeletedUser

Asides from that, the best leaders are utterly detestable, every single one of them. Arrogant and egotistical, sociopathic, obsessed with TW and very little else, extreme activity, perfectionists and just complete dickheads in general. If your leader ticks all of those boxes but you still follow them, chances are they are pretty good. Extra points for when the enemy says they couldn't stand being in a tribe led by that guy.

These nice, charismatic, high pointed leaders who are fair that everyone likes who seem like they would be good at diplomacy. To be honest the vast majority of them aren't any good. That's pretty much my opinion as a multi-world winner as a duke.

Last edited by a moderator:

Epic Pandas

Asides from that, the best leaders are utterly detestable, every single one of them. Arrogant and egotistical, sociopathic, obsessed with TW and very little else, extreme activity, perfectionists and just complete dickheads in general. If your leader ticks all of those boxes but you still follow them, chances are they are pretty good.

I assume you consider yourself a good leader then? (Angel)

THE MURPH ALL CAPS

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
These nice, charismatic, high pointed leaders who are fair that everyone likes who seem like they would be good at diplomacy. To be honest the vast majority of them aren't any good. That's pretty much my opinion as a multi-world winner as a duke.

It's like watching Donald Trump during a debate. I'm just gonna sit back and watch you to destroy yourself. That's pretty much my opinion as a non-egotistical Duke.

DeletedUser107233

i think often leaders who are good are busy working on making the tribes and their members working smoothly and can tend to forget to do more work on their own.

Some of the players i have seen lead are fantastic leaders and work very hard at getting everything and everyone working as one, which is major later on in the worlds

atmospherecf

There are only a few Dukes out there that can maintain a high lvl of gaming play in TW while leading a legit "good" tribe.

A few name worth mentioning..h0llygh0st, gar, core, rob

I agree Dukes should focus more on their tribe than game play, but Dukes should also lead by example and being proactive in TW is one of them..

DeletedUser

An Ideal duke?
Should..

1. Commitment, Drive and Passion - Many times in TW history have "good" dukes retire and leave the tribe they lead for various reasons. Only good reason to leave is if it is a RL issue. ex (Hate.) Most dukes fail to show dependability and many names in TW are infamous for ditching worlds/tribes.
As mentioned above a duke should have a good case of TW fever. Obsession and drive to always do better.

2. Trust : A good duke will be able to command his tribe with completely if they have 100% on him/her. If asked to noble 100hours away, no questions should be asked because the player deep down knows that he/she trusts the duke. A duke can earn this in many ways, prestige, player history, skill etc.
If a dukes orders are questioned almost everytime then he or she aint a good duke.

3. A full set of hands. No matter how good they are, a duke can only do so much. Behind every legendary duke is a set of legendary council members. Nobody is perfect. X can be amazing at PNPs but cant organize an OP for shiz. A duke has his pros and cons. An okay duke will try to take on everything. A good duke will trust his council and distribute the weight. He manages the kitchen, not peel, borth and cook the potatoes.

4. A businessman. - I dont think dukes need to be nice, silver tongued and all around lovable guy who loves walks in the park and owns a cute corgi named Kate. No. A good duke knows what he wants and will work towards it by any means (morally-logically) possible. He will have a goal and look for the best way to get it. This works for diplo, getting members and even earning respect in externals. He/she wont care what others think. He leads with his own eyes no matter what his shadow may look like. Using acad tribes, breaking NAPS (not always a good idea) and many more are good examples.

5. Luck - yeah i know. Its true. The universe has it's own Shiz way of F you up one way or another. Most good dukes wont say it but NOTHING goes right ALL the time. It takes as much luck as skill to be where good dukes want to be.

6. Judgement. - dukes gotta know when to trade a penny today for a block of gold tom. They need to be able to assess and decide timely, they handle every individual, enemy or not with respect as they deserve (some dont). They need to have the ability to squash kiddy tribe fights and smash Egoistic players.

theres a lot more but im bored now...
Things I dont think dukes need to have.

Ego - Drive, goals and confidence does not equate to arrogance. Patience and being humble seems better in my eyes
Points - You dont need points in current world to prove personal skill. that is what TW stats history is for. Most times it is easier if a Duke account is 0points.
External Presence - aside from pnps, dukes dont need to be famous. a lot of underground dukes outplay and outskill most external spammers.

Lastly.
Some dukes ive had the pleasure of working against, with, under or heard of.

holly, Balub(sam), hoc, openeye, mister king matt aka mattcurr, pajuno

DeletedUser

There are only a few Dukes out there that can maintain a high lvl of gaming play in TW while leading a legit "good" tribe.

A few name worth mentioning..h0llygh0st, gar, core, rob

I agree Dukes should focus more on their tribe than game play, but Dukes should also lead by example and being proactive in TW is one of them..

You forgot to put your name on that list. You helped some of those tribes win worlds...

DeletedUser88324

I have only played with one Duke in 9ish years who met all the "requited points" people have mentioned, and also was rank 1 in the tribe, points and rank: Lakewind.