Escape, 2nd to 1 Mil, and a guide to grass roots tribe building.

• Thread starter It Will All Be Mine
  • Start date

It Will All Be Mine

So I logged into something today that I was overwhelming pleased with...

bXSpJfq.png

Delirium just eeked out JEDI to become the 2nd tribe, after OBEY, to pointwhore its way to 1 million points. A goal our leadership had set, but was never entirely certain was possible. Yet, we are the first "grass roots" tribe to do so. And I fully expect JEDI and WET to join us in the millionaires club by the end of the week,( warning signs of another great conflict to come ) and SBD and legion to eventually follow shortly after.

As Escape now only contains 6 members of our original premade roster, I no longer consider us one. There are currently 30+ new faces I have never have had the honor of playing a world with before, let alone had the privilege of leading. We have lost, and re-earned the respect of our own rivals who once thought our tribe was doomed for failure, but now see us a beacon of stability to the turmoil of k54. This past month has been one of constant turmoil and tribulation as we have worked through dozens of players to build a roster that while remains unproven in war, has shown that it works in communication, support and all share the same global ambition. We have strived to stay forward of the constant scheming of our rivals, the scheming of Legion that we knew would all but end triforce being our greatest shame to contain. The loss of TiP as a united force is a dark spot on the politics of this world. Yet, we remain, continuing to grow and overcome the challenges of everyday, with a mixture of players who this is their first world and have proven themselves against all odds earning their place among our ranks, and veterans and legends of worlds of old whose experience and consistency speak for themselves.

But how does a "grass roots tribe" succeed and maintain its position in the top 5? How can any tribe forge a story of success in a world of madness?

1) Owning responsibility. Establish Respect
The single biggest factor many tribes struggle with is the nature of responsibility. Choosing to argue, bicker, blame or simply refuse to help others in the tribe. This comes in every form, from the duke to the individual player. "Owning up" is a concept many struggle with.
"Why should it be my responsibility to cover player X when he got back timed?"
"Why do I have to snipe this train against his village and lose my troops?"
"Why do I have to night sit this fucker?"
"Why can't [Tribemate] clear this village themselves?"
"Why can't we just ignore them and hope they go away? We can't beat them.".
These are all very real things that I have seen so many times in so many failed tribes. They struggle to accept responsibility as tribemates to one another, struggle to rely on another as brothers in arms. The desire to work as individuals drowns their ability to work as comrades. At the end of the day, many just don't get the fact that they are not individuals, but a unit [tribe] and that their villages are not just a responsibility of themselves, but everyone else in the tribe. They are extension of everyone's resources Failure to be active, failure to support, failure to resist against every challenge, failure to be fair and honest in tribal affairs, these are all the corner stones of owning responsibility. It is such a fundamental block of any tribe of any caliber that the tribes that fail to achieve it

A great example of what not to do is Seby1, the former duke of ~WD~, who's leaving of ~WD~ obliterated any and all chance of the tribe ever becoming anything of significance. He built a tribe, mass recruited for it, internalized a large number of players, and use underhanded tactics (such as rumors that he would send troops to far off continents after sitting them) to build a dysfunctional, and ultimately failed tribe. He failed to garner the respect needed to lead a successful tribe by owning responsibility and building a tribal culture that relied on one another.

Meanwhile in Escape & JEDI you have seen the foundations of tight and integrated relationships between tribe members as they continue to forge bonds and play chase the goose with OBEY. Bonds that OBEY themselves established long before this world even began. Go ahead, ask a few players how much they worship those megalomaniacs in OBEY and JEDI. You'll see the respect and trust for their leadership is very high. This creates the bonds of loyalty that will ultimately see your tribe through its finest hours.

2) Establishing culture, creating the global vision
This can be somewhat nuanced, but its an extension of above. Culture is what loops people in, gets them addicted to PnP (both internal and external) and establishes what expectations are for the tribe. If your tribe has no expectations, its culture is dead because its vision is dead. A tribe will not succeed without goals, it will be crippled with inactivity, lack of engagement and ultimately boredom. No goal is more important then the global vision, and ultimately winning the world, but it requires a plan and path of success. It means selling that vision to your own tribe, and being consistent in establishing those expectations and whats expected internally. Once a tribe respects one another, it can march together to victory.

And in this world of madness, where lies, deceit and hallucinations swirl like leaves on the wind, Delirium has established it's culture.

3a) The importance of communication
This is a funny joke that my old duke on w16 once told me.
"It's not tribal wars, it's tribal mails."
It is an amusingly accurate observation of the importance of communication of any successful tribe. The communication between players and its internal leadership, and ultimately the communication between the tribal leadership and its rivals. It is critical for a leader to continue to share what is going on within the tribe, the global vision as mentioned above has many steps to its ultimate implementation. Tribemates must communicate their needs for support and clears, and diplomacy is the only sense of stability between the top 20. Ask finalbarrage how much we bitch at each other. Sometimes it seems daily.
NOBLE's leadership failed to grasp this when they began their conflict vs JEDI, and ultimately faltered as their unprepared tribe brought in unprepared allies in a false bid of one man's foolish ambition.
Crayola's unsteady hand in guiding TiP slowly lost him the respect of his greatest players, and allowed the meddling of Legion & Jedi into their internal affairs, that resulted in their ultimate collapse.

With out communication, there is no foundation to build on. There can be no culture, or respect. Allies can not rely on you, and rivals will exploit your lack of coordination.
With it, every village has the ability to snipe every train and block every nuke, and victory is just 1 war away.

3b) Building the right leadership, recognizing what is missing
Communication of course, is nothing without the figure heads who run it. It is almost impossible for 1 individual to run an entire tribe. Ops, recruitment, diplomacy, internal affairs, it is simply too many tasks for one account to reasonably account for long term and still grow and participate in the world.

Escape is no exception to this, as we transferred from our first Duke, the Red Hot Chili Pepper, to myself as I was more engaged and active in the world. Willing to make the sacrifices of time to continue building the tribe.Trading the responsibilities of things such as ops and recruitment (possibly my greatest decision, if anyone has paid attention to what happened with ARE) we have seen the quality and steadiness of our leadership grow and develop, and our story continue. It is important to recognize when errors have been made, redact, address and ultimately build a better tribe. The responsibility of leadership is not for everyone, and it is the hardest challenge to find those that are willing and capable of shouldering the burden.

4) From every failure, an opportunity to improve
A life lesson in itself, but no grass roots tribe will ever get it right the first time. You will go through countless members as you try to find the gold in the sand. Ops will be messy until cohesion is formed, diplomacy can be a wreck while you find tribes worthy of your time, and may not even matter tomorrow.

But from each step back, you must learn from the mistakes and improve. Keep your world, change, adapt and over come set backs, given enough work and time, it will all fall into place. This will earn you the respect of all those around you, even your rivals, in the most grudging of ways.

5) And eventually...make iron sharpen iron
But no tribe can claim success without war in this game. Challenging, intense and insufferably stressful conflict. Ultimately it is iron vs iron that proves weather your tribe deserves to belong in the grand scheme of the world. JEDI has already proven it deserves to be here, in the weeks to come, Escape, and others, will have their opportunity too.

I thank every member Escape for joining me on this journey so far. I congratulate Jedi and Wet as they continue to build their own stories of success and hope more tribes will continue to succeed and build quality, functional tribes. The world is far from dead, and there are many challenges yet to overcome. Good luck to everyone.

Sincerely,
-It Will All Be Mine, Duke of Delirium

DeletedUser117534

A good read. Very refreshing to see someone putting a lot of effort into posting.

Good luck with leading Escape

Nest

grave maker

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
A lot of good points and steps for making a solid tribe.

I think the main reason grass roots tribes fail, even with a good leader, is that they are weak. Players have no loyalty early game unless they are loyal from a premade. And players will always jump to the strongest option, even beyond early game. It's pretty clear this is what happened to TIP. For instance, Sasuke wasn't part of their premade, he had no loyalty to them, and he'd be stupid to refuse an invitation to OBEY simply because he was in another tribe. So the top/best players get invites to a better tribe, and the rest is kind of history. We see the remains of TIP in the tribe VAPE, from the core that was loyal to the premade, with the rest likely falling out to other smaller tribes or getting nobled.

So when a tribe becomes the top tribe in any given K, with a somewhat competent core, most players in the K will jump at the opportunity to join up with them given the chance. This can spur the tribe forward to top ranks, and because of this it is often common early on to see weak looking tribes with a top rank. These are tribes that you kind of look at and wonder how they got there or know they won't be there in a month. It takes a long time for grassroots tribes to 'mature,' if you will, with a solid and loyal enough player base to hang tight through internal issues/external pressures from other tribes.

Early on (and even later) good players are always looking for reasons to leave their tribe if they don't think it's good enough. No matter how "good" a tribe looks, if a player feels that it is weak, they will be happy to join a tribe that is a step up. And it just takes a couple top players leaving to bring down the whole ship. It causes internal problems, people lose faith, and leaders get discouraged. This is also the issue with grassroots tribes later in the game. When the rank 1 tribe and rank 2 tribe start picking at each other, the rank 1 tribe will extend a hand to the top players in the rank 2 tribe. Lets say the top player from the rank 2 tribe joined them in the early-mid game area after leaving his tribe that was falling apart. Unless that player is very loyal to his tribe, or hates the other tribe, they may take the opportunity to move to the better option, and then the other top players will also be more inclined. It's usually a slippery slope, and tribes must be very internally strong to handle things like that happening.

Edit- that being said, I always like to root for grassroot tribes, wish we saw more become successful. Would be interesting to see TW implement a world without choosing your starting direction to see how it'd play out in today's game :)

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I think generally grass roots tribes fail really hard due to lack of competent tribe founders.

DeletedUser119950

Lets be honest here,escape is 2nd rank because:
1. K44 tribes are actually fighting the whole time so they grow slower.
2. K55 =obey pp-ing their way to top1 fast, so not even grass is growing where their hands reach.
3. K54 was a pretty good contender but big boys(not sure if 1 guy or more, and dont even care) there decided to jump to obey so they lost their representative tribe for no2 spot.
4. K45(escape) was the only one with somewhat no troubles just pped their way up there,intimidated some ARE players with their size(or planted them there beforehand),made them jump ships and thats it pretty much. Not much of a good leadership was needed for that tbh,just pure old intimidation by size lol and thats pretty much it how escape got to no2 spot.

Haters gonna say it wasn't that simple but it was THAT simple.

rickyson1

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Lets be honest here,escape is 2nd rank because:
1. K44 tribes are actually fighting the whole time so they grow slower.
2. K55 =obey pp-ing their way to top1 fast, so not even grass is growing where their hands reach.
3. K54 was a pretty good contender but big boys(not sure if 1 guy or more, and dont even care) there decided to jump to obey so they lost their representative tribe for no2 spot.
4. K45(escape) was the only one with somewhat no troubles just pped their way up there,intimidated some ARE players with their size(or planted them there beforehand),made them jump ships and thats it pretty much. Not much of a good leadership was needed for that tbh,just pure old intimidation by size lol and thats pretty much it how escape got to no2 spot.

Haters gonna say it wasn't that simple but it was THAT simple.

I mean that's pretty much what Jedi does too

you seen just how many people they have recruited from other tribes in k44 that they were fighting?

universal thought

get ready to have your asses Moneyball'd

We should judge tribes based off of a new metric I call "tism." to start a tribe, a certain base level of "tism" is required. sometimes this tism is only from one player, so the tribe is weak to start off. luckier times, a player starts in a group full of "tism" and can make a stronger tribe based off a greater starting level of "tism" as time goes on, the tribe looks to increase it's "tism" by any number of means.

DeletedUser115991

We should judge tribes based off of a new metric I call "tism." to start a tribe, a certain base level of "tism" is required. sometimes this tism is only from one player, so the tribe is weak to start off. luckier times, a player starts in a group full of "tism" and can make a stronger tribe based off a greater starting level of "tism" as time goes on, the tribe looks to increase it's "tism" by any number of means.

Ahhhhhh tism. Yes. Precisely.

(love me a play on words)

DeletedUser117534

o_O

I though being sober on Friday night is hard enough until I tried to understand tism

universal thought

it's easy to understand. tw has never had a word that encompasses everything that people take into when rating people or tribes. or a metric to rate tribes. I propose "tism." now what traits determine a tribe's tism level? everyone has their own way of judging.

some people like to start off all worlds with a high base level of tism in their tribe. we call those premades. other tribes merge/internal/noble/whatever for more tism. but the end goal is always the same. to increase your tribes' tism

universal thought

I think that guy has other projects to work on. like... what if two people start a tribe, and everyone they invite is asked a random question like "pac or biggie?" and then assigned one of the co-dukes for all ops in the future how cool would that tribe be?

universal thought

and think of the gang wars we could have! i'm excited now. when's the next English or Spanish world?