How has TW changed your life?

• Thread starter DeletedUser119759
  • Start date

Schizophrenic

It is typical product lifecycle. Tribal Wars is dying, so Innogames needs to make as much money out of it as they can. Therefore P2W. One can see similarities through a large multitude of games.

Yes it's unfair, yes it has taken a very large amount of beauty out of the game that I used to enjoy, but it is also life.

What I will say is that in TW's heyday, I'd have not even been in top 200 with my PP usage, but the lack of competition puts me in top 20. Essentially it is possible without abusing P2W to get high ranks, but that's only because the standard of players has gone down.

I agree with a few points, but i cant honestly say that the competition has gone down i think the competition is alot earlier now, with the worlds shrinking it has become apparently clear that a far higher % of players get put to the sword earlier, and as the world is smaller it is harder for them to get a decent second chance as most of the core players have already started expanding towards the rim by that time. Furthermore the gap between good and 'elite' is enormous now.

Tribal wars is dying because of the p2w. p2w not coz it's dying.

I think it was largely to do with premades, it made the game alot harder for grassroot tribes to progress and learn.

foolproof32

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
I would say new players should have BP until like 2 weeks atleast but at the same time should be able to attack only barbs coz players can always create new accounts and abuse the system. I remember a quest where they taught about dodging attacks where you would get an incoming from a barb and you had to send your troops elsewhere. If skills like backtiming and sniping are introduced as quests to people who are new, the experience would be slightly better.
In my opinion innogames has just given up on tw and focussing on their newer games which is why you can't find any ads for tw anymore

foolproof32

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
Why would they? They're getting the money anyway. If the money's dropping they'll create another game of the same genre and people will flock to it.

mch123

If people spent half of their energy from moaning about P2W and put that towards helping new players have fun, be part of a team and learn about TW, the game would grow again.

There's so much negativity in the game; Calling player noobs for a lack of skill or activity, creating exclusive tribes via membership requirements and the short sighted backstabbing/spying for personal advantage is what makes the game unbearable for new players. If your first experience is getting insulted, excluded, lied to and used - of course you are not going to stick around. All the tryhards here need to deploy a little more empathy for what makes this game worthwhile to the recreational players.

w96 had 12k players at it's peak (what I saw anyway). There can only be 40 players in the winning tribe so that's 0.333% of the player base. Being in the top 1% of players isn't even enough. Your chances of winning were already slim even before the P2W system. It's just a cheap excuse for why you are not winning and why the game is 'dying out'. It's also something you have very little control over.

For those of us who are not top tier and not likely to mount a serious challenge to win a world, I have an alternative challenge for you. For 1 world, try to build a team based on assisting new players and having as much fun as possible. Focus on trust, communication and education. My key piece of advice to achieve this would be to use a 'pay it forward' model in your team - where you do what you can to help others with the expectation only that they pass it on to the next member. This has a snowball effect on trust, communication and activity levels -which ultimately benefits you in the long run. It will be the best thing you ever do in this game. I'd also put money on it being the world you have the most fun, develop the best relationships and probably be the most successful early game team/tribe that you'll have been a part of.

Put an emphasis on positivity, fun and building strong 1:1 relationships. If you only have that impact on 2 players, and those 2 players impact 2 more each... we'll quickly grow the game again. P2W isn't going anywhere so it's a waste of time complaining about it. Also, don't wait for others to set the example - take some initiative to change these issues. Complaining is just lazy.

atmospherecf

Making a tribe from scratch is a pain in the ass (trust me.. I know so...), but so much fun & challenging~ Preach on brother. I support your cause.

mch123

Making a tribe from scratch is a pain in the ass (trust me.. I know so...), but so much fun & challenging~
I think the majority of that comes from the place of trying to be competitive on worlds - which you have a reputation for. ;)

Leadership is always hard but it adds another layer on to the TW experience/learning curve. What I tried to emphasise here is keeping it simple with 1:1 relationships. From there you can build small 5-10 player teams/tribes. It's a lot easier to take an interest in and build trust with the 4 players around you when you start a world than it is to build or even join a 30-60 player tribe. There's less emphasis on 'leadership' with smaller teams and more emphasis on communication - which is something everyone can do at that smaller scale.

Build relationships and a team first, then you'll naturally need the infrastructure of a tribe. Don't create a tribe and then try to recruit - it's a sure fire way to run into trust, communication and teamwork issues. That's when it becomes a pain in the ass.

I also want to mention that teams are not restricted to a single world. Most people are not looking for a great strategical leader to help them win the world. They are looking for a leader they can trust, who has their best interests at heart and will help them grow as a player. When you provide that (and everyone can), people remain loyal and follow you wherever you go.

Preach on brother. I support your cause.
If you ever want to trigger me into writing a long-ass post, this is the topic to do it :D. Thanks for the support.

DeletedUser117534

Before TW i only talked to other nerds in my own country, now i get to talk to nerds from all around the world.

Progress is beautiful
That's the biggest thing keeping me playing tribal wars. Discussing every episode of GOT season 7 with my geeky tribe mates was the highlight for me this year. Now I find myself playing less and less while spending more and more time with friends on Skype.

DeletedUser66411

If people spent half of their energy from moaning about P2W and put that towards helping new players have fun, be part of a team and learn about TW, the game would grow again.

There's so much negativity in the game; Calling player noobs for a lack of skill or activity, creating exclusive tribes via membership requirements and the short sighted backstabbing/spying for personal advantage is what makes the game unbearable for new players. If your first experience is getting insulted, excluded, lied to and used - of course you are not going to stick around. All the tryhards here need to deploy a little more empathy for what makes this game worthwhile to the recreational players.

w96 had 12k players at it's peak (what I saw anyway). There can only be 40 players in the winning tribe so that's 0.333% of the player base. Being in the top 1% of players isn't even enough. Your chances of winning were already slim even before the P2W system. It's just a cheap excuse for why you are not winning and why the game is 'dying out'. It's also something you have very little control over.

For those of us who are not top tier and not likely to mount a serious challenge to win a world, I have an alternative challenge for you. For 1 world, try to build a team based on assisting new players and having as much fun as possible. Focus on trust, communication and education. My key piece of advice to achieve this would be to use a 'pay it forward' model in your team - where you do what you can to help others with the expectation only that they pass it on to the next member. This has a snowball effect on trust, communication and activity levels -which ultimately benefits you in the long run. It will be the best thing you ever do in this game. I'd also put money on it being the world you have the most fun, develop the best relationships and probably be the most successful early game team/tribe that you'll have been a part of.

Put an emphasis on positivity, fun and building strong 1:1 relationships. If you only have that impact on 2 players, and those 2 players impact 2 more each... we'll quickly grow the game again. P2W isn't going anywhere so it's a waste of time complaining about it. Also, don't wait for others to set the example - take some initiative to change these issues. Complaining is just lazy.

The problem with your argument is that in my opinion P2W has created the biggest "skill" gap for start game. Teaching people the game isn't going to change the fact that if you start next to someone who plays with PP you are probably going to be rimmed. It is the developers who have inherently made the game unfriendly to new players not the player base which you suggest.

DeletedUser

I agree with a few points, but i cant honestly say that the competition has gone down i think the competition is alot earlier now, with the worlds shrinking it has become apparently clear that a far higher % of players get put to the sword earlier, and as the world is smaller it is harder for them to get a decent second chance as most of the core players have already started expanding towards the rim by that time. Furthermore the gap between good and 'elite' is enormous now.

Competition has gone so far down its embarrassing. I can just go into my skype list, get a bunch of people together in 24 hours, join W97 and have a high chance of winning.

snowflake

I'd just like to say mch's stance on the whole thing really made me feel inspired to hop back onto TW.
Will be back in 1 year to hopefully find a team and have fun playing this game again.

DeletedUser

I thought a bit more about this last night and decided I'd give a more serious response.

I never really had a particularly good memory, I cannot really remember going to school particularly well other than I was there. Who was I taught by 11 years ago? Who were my classmates? Did I even have any friends? Was I skipping stuff by this point or not? It is all a bit of a haze and though I could probably recollect it, I have neither the time nor the inclination to. Information I don't care about is like that.

What I do remember was starting World 1. I remember the first tribe I ever joined, WAR. They were objectively garbage, mostly young, obnoxious and clueless about the game. Not to say I wasn't either. WAR was a tribe in the mid 30s that the vast majority of forum goers would not touch with a 30 foot pole and think far beneath them. Why then do I still after 11 years remember a lot of those usernames when I cannot even remember who I sat next to in class? To me, my friends weren't Steve and Sarah, they were Alex10370, Dallis520, F18-Ace, Crezz, TheDonsWife etc.

What even happened to them? Did they ever get anywhere in TW, I think not. I think I was the only person in my first tribe that ever won a world, ever found themselves in a top 10 tribe. I remember the joy of a tribe I was in being top 40 in the world mainly through mass recruitment and barb nobling, I remember bragging to my friends about taking two villages off a prominent externals player in a top 3 tribe that went briefly inactive. I didn't think I was even capable of figuring out if players were inactive, did I even know what TWstats/TWplus was and did they even exist at that time? I obviously underestimate myself.

I remember moving away from W1, joining new worlds and actually starting to learn the game. I remember founding my first tribe, K24, who would merge and form what would become INSO on W13. I was in no way involved in their success. I remember being in the leadership of my first major tribe, being a baron of a huge family tribe called Die. on W15 who were top 10 at some point. I remember starting to really use the public forums at this time. I was a positively awful poster, I had never learned how to read English other than at the most basic level and never even got as far as joining up letters on the writing front. Playing Tribal Wars and constantly arguing and flaming people on the forums taught me English over thousands of posts. This was long before I created the account I currently post on. I got banned for 10 years by Lord Haste from my first forum account for mass creating threads to spam the forums. There still exists a thread of various W1 forum posters celebrating my ban. To think that ban is almost over...

When I first joined the publics, I was hated, though for very different reasons than I tend to be now. It was in small part this hate as well as an internal drive that pushed me to new heights in this game. I could never be the best at anything in real life and had never wanted to be. I was and still am very much wallpaper background, I get by and do everything semi-competently. I'd clean, work at the back of the kitchens, do manual labour and autopilot and all I was thinking about was various games I played. I never cared about getting rich, having a nice house, getting a girlfriend, wife or family or getting good grades or being intelligent. I got fired from my first proper job because I'd rather play games than play RL. I hated playing RL. For some reason though, I cared about being the best in this stupid game. It was the only thing I've ever cared about being good at.

TW made me read up on war strategy. It was only reason I ever read "The Art of War" or "The Prince". It made me obsessed with Fascism and Nazism, not because of their application in real life, but their application into TW and specifically leadership. It made me theorycraft until the point where I started figuring out a few things out before they became popular and still have around 50 pages of various bits of data and thoughts on TW somewhere on a harddrive. It made me change my forum posting style to what it is today, specifically designed so I'd get salt and hate whilst I was successful. Some people want to be respected and be loved, I live for the salt and disrespect. Not wanting people to necessarily hate how I won as I've always been very straight laced strategy wise, but to hate the fact that I succeeded. It just makes the victory that much more sweeter. Then I started to win, first I'd join accounts as coplayers and just coast, but eventually I'd be able to do it on my own volition. I remember getting my first rank 1 as a player then as a leader and the joy that it gave me, that all the hard work, the struggle alongside my team culminating into this one moment that was made it all worth it. TW gave me some of the happiest days of my life.

So what does TW mean to me? I know everything I put above was pretty pathetic, but it is also true. TW wasn't a game, RL was the game, my job the grind that I went through so I could come back and play TW or some other game, meet and get to know people, do some forum shenanigans against the same old opponents, conquer some villages. There are people in TW that I consider closer friends than most that I have in real life. There are players in TW I have met in real life. I'm not sure what I would be doing without this game, that's why I'm still here even though the settings are shit, even though P2W is shit, even though this game which I used to think of similar to chess in its beauty has been defiled in the pursuit of money and gimmickry.

That was what TW was to me.

Last edited by a moderator: