Anti-Hacking Petition [revived]

DeletedUser

Im not a huge fan of Conor,,,but I do hope this was a temperary ban.The forums actualy need him.

Im not sgning this though,,as the moderators are absolutly correct on all bases of this subject.

TW,politly,I ask you to re-instate Conor.He did this with good intentions.Just went about it wronge (according to mods).

Best regards,

anewdream

Jirki88

Administrator
Tribal Wars Team
Community Management
Reaction score
Guys, don't discuss specific cases of hacking or other rulebreaking in this thread or I'll have to close it too. If you want to discuss such things, do that in PM.

DeletedUser

I question why TW accounts are hackable in the first place. I pick passwords that are not guessable, and yet they are vulnerable. Why is this?

It sounds like TW has absolutely zero protection against dictionary and brute-force attacks. Should there not be something like a 30 log in per hour limit? That would at least be one step towards blocking these things.

DeletedUser

If you are worried about hacking attempts on your account then take the time to watch the log ins on your account.

When you are ingame... go to Settings --> Logins

You are able to see both successful log ins... which should be your own IP address, and also any other failed attempts.

If you see anything unusual there, ask about it or put in a ticket.

DeletedUser

Uh... the last time my account was hacked I happened to be online at the time. There was no warning, one second I was browsing, the next I was logged out and the password had changed.

DeletedUser137

So you all know, there is a ticket open providing servy and team with information on 1 issue of hacking known to the skype population and also a website was shut down on the 8th of september meaning we could not find the actual exploit they used although it was proven that at least 1 exploit on the site worked at the time.

These were NOT phishers that you seem to presume we are mistaking for hackers, these are legitimate hacks and from the look of the site found, java based.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The thing is that we can only use ingame proof for the simple reason that anything else... skype / irc / msn logs and so forth can be altered without any way for us to know. Ingame proof we can access properly, and know whether it is accurate or not.

Hi Atlantia
i've come across some accounts being hacked, in this world and others

based on what you said can you give us some examples of INGAME proofs
that we can provide to mods to bring the cheaters to justice?

because i have no clue (and so far anyone who i have talked to) how we can get such a proof ingame if there is way

DeletedUser

it's not just this world. i know of a couple cases.. .both allies and enemies on w29 that it's happened to recently. kind of sad really, but meh. with all the proxies and the "push" accounts that seem to happen on a regular basis...

WHO CARES!??!?!

janash37

But sure, you go ahead with the petition... We don't care as long as rules aren't violated.

Way to make the people who play on this world feel appreciated LOL.
I thought mods were meant to be friendly? They're meant to be here to support players... yes?

... apparently not.
The least you could have said would have been something encouraging like "we're looking deeper into it" or words to that effect.

But no. Synicism abounds...

DeletedUser39997

it's not just this world. i know of a couple cases.. .both allies and enemies on w29 that it's happened to recently. kind of sad really, but meh. with all the proxies and the "push" accounts that seem to happen on a regular basis...

WHO CARES!??!?!

You are an idiot.

DeletedUser41666

Hi Atlantia
i've come across some accounts being hacked, in this world and others

based on what you said can you give us some examples of INGAME proofs
that we can provide to mods to bring the cheaters to justice?

because i have no clue (and so far anyone who i have talked to) how we can get such a proof ingame if there is way

Well in a case of hacking, there is no real ingame proof that players could provide. Sure a mail of someone admitting it would be nice. Sure if you send in a ticket with a skype log, it'd be enough to make us look into it, just not enough to do anything on it's own. But hacking proof is generally stuff that we look through, not something your end. It's also why we expect the player who has been hacked to send in a ticket [*]. No one else. I could move house, my enemy hears this and reports my account being hacked. Logins show all of a sudden for no apparent reason I change house, and ISP. That is just one example of something that could occur.
Incorrect logins do always show up, afaik. Whilst there isn't currently a limit, if an account was reported we can at least see incorrect logins, and see a mass of them.

*Just because we do expect players to report things themselves, it doesn't hurt to report it anyway.

I thought mods were meant to be friendly?
No one has ever said that.

They're meant to be here to support players... yes?
In game support staff maybe, when answering tickets, in their own world no, and forum mods are not there to support players, they are there to enforce rules, keep the forums friendly.

The least you could have said would have been something encouraging like "we're looking deeper into it" or words to that effect.
Your forum account shows you've been around at least a year. In that time have you ever noticed Jirki doing anything ingame? I for one, haven't.

DeletedUser74663

Uhh. here's a simple solution.. how about tightening up on the security used on the site? there's currently no encryption what-so-ever.. a 128 bit encryption should keep the hackers busy for a while...

GhengissKhann

GhengissKhann

sign me up on that list

as for hacking, the only way i think they could do it is if they find your email address through getting your IP address so simple solution, go to a library change the email and password, if you can get a new computer and set it up and boom, the hackers should have trouble getting back in.

DeletedUser

You can sign me up on the list, along with my tribe, COOL, too.

DeletedUser

Just another few comments from our standpoint, although Pulsar hit the major ones.

About mods being friendly. When modding we are to be Professional about our responses to tickets etc. but like everyone else we are human. We have our bad days and our good days. I can say some mods do try to be friendly to a degree and I would actually use the word sociable to best fit the situation. The reason being, the friendlier we act, the harder it becomes to completely remove all bias.

Also like pulsar said, how we mod has nothing to do with how our personalities are as players or even as people.

The other post I would like to address is Simon Yeuan's post. You say there are a lot of issues that have popped up that you know about as well as push accounts etc... Most of the bans we do are from tickets that people have sent in for push accounts and the like. We do what we can to find them, but there are just way too many players on a world for us to investigate all of them. We do not have the manpower, nor is that something that they are asking us to do every day as volunteers. We do get a small amount of compensation and yes there is an application/hiring process, but the best way to put it is that we volunteer ourselves to give back to the community of the game we have enjoyed/still enjoy. Just because you know of some cases that dont get caught or reported, doesn't we are sitting on our butts twiddling our fingers. As has been stated many times before, the majority of the work we do goes on behind the scenes and you as players will never hear of or know about. We as moderators understand and accept that 1 negative response or situation will always carry more weight to people than the 10+ good situations that happen and we don't really complain. You might have a rant here or there from a mod who had a bad day, but thats about it. We accept most people are going to look at us in disdain and move on as we know the worlds would be much worse of if we did nothing at all.

I apologize that the post approaches a rant, but its a sore subject atm. Meaning I probably should keep my peace about it, but I'm just not that type of person.

Finally, the biggest answer I have towards all the complaints about "bad modding" and how "we miss so many" is that the only way we will get a lot of them is if you report them. At the worst your going to get a response that there was nothing there, and in most cases it wont take but a few minutes for us to check even if we are just given a name. Granted sometimes one ticket can give a few hours + just in investigating and countless headaches :icon_confused: but most of the time its a simple matter for us. Now by saying this I'm not saying when you go to war you should report every player in the opposing tribe if you suspect that chances are one of them has had some illegal sitting commands as that just gets annoying for the mod and yeah, you can imagine.

Finally, sometimes when you report something and we tell you there isnt anything illegal, it is because there just isnt enough proof to justify it. I.E. If someone has had 3 villages internally nobled (when they have 100+, and then nobles 1 village), we dont have enough info to immediately declare the account a push account. We try to check back on cases like this but sometimes we forget, in which case if you see in the next week or 2 that person has lost another 15 villages to tribe mates and nobled 2 more in the midst of it, then report it again the week later. Sometimes more evidence is revealed after the case is done.

To bullet point the above since thats too large of a read for some people to bother with.
*Mods are supposed to be professional in demeanor
*Mods cant catch a lot of things as there are too few of us and too many of you
*If you suspect it, send in a ticket
*Sometimes there just isnt enough evidence

I think this is long enough as is, and I hope it helps a little. We aren't perfect by any point of the imagination, or at least I'm not (Jirki... well I wont touch that one), but we do what we can to keep everything running smoothly

DeletedUser656

Uhh. here's a simple solution.. how about tightening up on the security used on the site? there's currently no encryption what-so-ever.. a 128 bit encryption should keep the hackers busy for a while...

Implementing SSL will have very little if any benefit.

We already have methods in place to stop brute force attempts.

Accounts are not hacked, that would indicate a vulnerability in Tribalwars which is not the case. The accounts are compromised due to someone finding out the password in another manner, usually due to the player's lack of knowledge about their personal security.

308404 is incorrect, there are no legitimate hacks for Tribalwars.

DeletedUser

Implementing SSL will have very little if any benefit.

We already have methods in place to stop brute force attempts.

Accounts are not hacked, that would indicate a vulnerability in Tribalwars which is not the case. The accounts are compromised due to someone finding out the password in another manner, usually due to the player's lack of knowledge about their personal security.

308404 is incorrect, there are no legitimate hacks for Tribalwars.

Exactly.. Almost all of the cases are due to the user's easily guessable password or some sort of keylogger they got from someone else.

DeletedUser

I have to agree with mods. If they were to use anything as evidence then accusation of hacking would be as good way of eliminating enemies as hacking it self. Also sometimes you experience people that are just dumb. We can't hide from it.. they exist! and they don't even know it. For that I idolize mods/admins with their patience.. after 3rd time explaining some one exactly the same thing I would just give the person ban for being dumb. =D

I remember long time ago some1 got into some1s account because his password was "ass" or something like that xD

BTW - I love all the colours around :D :) :D Red, Pink, Purple, Green, Orange and Blue! YAY!