W27 - One Year On...

DeletedUser

For those who had not realised, Friday 13 November 2009 is an important day. I am not talking about paraskevidekatriaphobia, but rather the anniversary of W27's inception. Often we use this as a chance to look back on the year and comment upon the events with the benefit of hindsight as well providing some nostalgia for the more venerable W27 players out there. What follows is a brief overview of the world's events and the comings and goings that begot our current situation; I begin of course on a Thursday morning one year ago...

The Early Days – Tribal Prisons and 3 Months of Waiting

When this world was first announced and its settings realised, it was not disapproval, but curiosity that sparked attention in this world. You see, W27 is unique in many ways, not least in its early settings. The idea of placing players into random tribes upon their arrival in the world and preventing them from leaving and joining others was perhaps interesting in theory, but the true nature of it could only be realised after the months had expired. It was an experiment in so many ways but that is often the only way one can truly see how these sorts of things play out.

The settings as they officially were:

World 27 Settings:

World will open Thursday the 13th of November, between 15:00 and 17:00 ST

Server speed: 1.1x
Troop Speed: .9x
Packages, No Paladin, No archers
No Tribe Limit, No Leaving tribes or disbanding them.
Techs: 15
Beginner Protection: 5 days

Location is random, you can not support people outside your tribe.

When a player joins a server they will automatically be put in a random tribe.

You can not attack your tribe mates.

There will be 200 Tribes created for when the world begins. For the first 3 months you will not be able to disband or leave your tribe.

After Three months, you will be able to leave or disband any tribe or join any other tribe.

The duke will be elected by the tribe, within the tribes forums.

Once a tribe has 100 members, the tribe will have 4 days to do voting. After 4 days the duke will receive their title and be able to appoint their council. The person with majority vote will receive duke.

One could divide those who joined into two camps, those who didn’t have much of a clue about what the settings were, and those who were curious as to the workings of such a scheme. I, like others, was genuinely interested in seeing how this would work and the possibilities it would engender. I fancied that an inability to simply join the tribe of your neighbour to offer mutual protection would leave many areas, particularly the core, to be savage deathmatches or else that it would test each player’s diplomatic and decision making skills in choosing which of their neighbours that they worked with and which they attacked.

Those first few days were no doubt quite an experience for veteran and newb alike. Amid the incessant complaints haranguing the settings and the predicaments of the author or lamentations on the state of tribes, there were some players who were finding the settings to be a refreshing change. Indeed, the settings did significantly polarise opinion, on the one hand there were those who though the idea to be ridiculous and that the game was unworkable; that it defied the concepts of the game and increased the reliance of success on good fortune by possessing such a glaring disparity between tribes. On the other hand, the change was welcomed; players could no longer hide in their tribes and forced an independence from them. It also was responsible for many new relationships between players who may never have got to know each other had it not happened. Crucially, it enabled prospective dukes to make the right decisions in the ensuing months about who was worth inviting and who was not.

When one considers the point of the tribe lock, one has to believe that it was to eliminate one of the problems with the early game and that is of course the formation of tribes themselves. We find a lot of problems with early tribes, a duke is tasked with a difficult position when choosing who they wish to invite as they do not know who will survive the first months and become a strong player. They tend to err on the side of caution and mass recruit a lot of riff raff who come and go from tribes very quickly; indeed early tribes can be messy and disorganised affairs before the core of the tribe is established and the longevity of its members more greatly affirmed. I would posit that these settings were to combat this and allow the world to see who the strong players were before dukes started inviting. To an extent, this did actually succeed, but players were still burdened with messy early tribes which served little purpose except as social areas with players so thinly spread.

However, it did at least seem that the game was thrust to a greater degree into the hands of the players themselves. No tribes, no ‘assured’ allies, random positions; something of a deathmatch scenario which would determine who the fittest players were. It did build skills, it did take players’ games in new directions and it was a unique experience. It also brought together players from different sides of W27 and laid the foundations for enduring relationships as well as excuses for mercy. These goals were ostensibly accomplished, but not it seems without the mass exodus of a significant number of players.

I have known quite a few players to comment on the state of the early world and the proliferation of barbarian villages and general lack of active players. Perhaps deservedly so though, as many new players did not read the settings and it may well have put many off who were induced to quit. The lack of local tribal structure also left many players vulnerable to their neighbours and the eventual result was a stunted world, which never filled to anything like its capacity. I think we should at least be grateful that barbs do not grow too much or we may never have had any wars!

The settings were probably always going to divide players and it did indeed leave something of a dichotomy in the world. On the one hand, you have your veterans, who have fought off all comers to keep control of their little areas, bound together by de facto alliances and the masses of small players struggling along beside their neighbours, kept safe by excessive numbers of PAs or else mutual fear. As the 3 month period began to come to an end, plans were already afoot by shrewd dukes and duchesses as to whom they were to invite; connections were being made and February 13 was certainly going to be an explosive day indeed.

February 13th – Eponymy and Ostraka

And what a day it proved to be, probably setting a record for the most tribe changes in a single day. Finally players were released from the yokes of their tribes and allowed free reign 3 months later than normal. Those leaders who had planned ahead put into action their schemes and brought in their potential recruits overnight. My memories of the following period of greatest change and influence to W27 are hazy, so I have compiled extracts from various forum threads to tell the story and with my commentary along the way. A massive thank you to the people who made these threads, future comers will be able to share in the W27 story because of the time you took.

Now without further ado, we look at the immense tribal upheaval on Feb.13. A congratulations should go to the reins behind the tribe Feb 13, it would have been rather fitting had you turned out the victors, but that’s the way these things happen I suppose. The top tribes you see here are the work of leaders who had planned this well in advance:

Top 20 tribes on that day:
1 ATTACK
2 PM
3 LA-G
4 Nstlk*
5 Feb.13
6 YGI?
7 LA
8 Santa!
9 K55
10 RB
11 *TKP*
12 Alone
13 EWO
14 RIM,
15 BAN
16 Dune
17 Nstlk~
18 UNMA
19 Autumn
20 Idk

Source: http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthread.php?t=122887

Top rankings with figures
1) ATTACK [81 members so far with 656 villages] 4.2mio
2) PM [35 members so far with 526 villages] 3.8mio
3) LA-G [55 members so far with 466 villages] 3mio
4) Nstlk* [48 members so far with 397 villages] 2.6mio
5) Feb.13 [20 members so far with 256 villages] 2mio
6) YGI? [11 members so far with 207 villages] 1.6mio
7) LA [20 members so far with 220 villages] 1.3mio

Source: http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthread.php?t=122700

Thanks to macca for this (rankings changed slightly over the course of the day between threads):
w27Feb13thfirstday.jpg

Maccano1 said:
1 ATTACK: Black
Lead by: Ephette & Robthegreat
Key K’s:
One of the largest tribes has managed to stick around, and has established its self as one of the largest tribes; a Feb 13th purge and subsequent recruitment have seen them firmly establish them at the top of the tribal listings. Have seemed to go with a liberal recruitment method which has players joining with all kinds of point totals from 1k to 166k.

Their problem may be the spread of their players means that they are vying for dominance of many K’s but it also means that they will be stretched everywhere and a conflict with a couple of tribes at the same time could see them crumble as they seemingly don’t have a specific core.

2 PM: Orange
Lead by: ornyto and alkalye333
Key K’s: 54/64
A tribe which has been in the public eye for quite some time due to alkalye333’s announcement of their existence a week ago, these guys have been working together on an external forum for a while now, so are likely to be more organised than most other tribes at this stage. They have a solid player base with some really good players, and unless there is a surprise I can see these guys dominating the SW easily, their only real challenge is Nstlk* who occupy k43 and k53

3 LA-G: Brown
Lead by: steve34cks and Crystalball
Key K’s: 44
Another existing tribe which has been able to survive and recruit a good set of members, these guys will have to fight for K44 initially because they have a number of other large tribes who could stop their dominance in that area, if they are able to get that K under control then they will have the pick of who they want to fight next, their expansion could go north, south, west or east. My only doubt would be them currently having players in K66 which is nowhere near their main cluster.

4 Nstlk*: Green
Lead by: ???
Key K’s: 43/53
They currently have a nice position on the rim which means that they don’t have as much worry with being surrounded, I imagine that they will quickly come into conflict with PM as they both share territory, which could be an interesting war, PM have some good members, but they will be fairly far from the front, and it would be a great test of their strength.

5 Feb.13 : turquoise
Lead by: ???
Key K’s: 45
In a similar position to LA-G, but I would say will have an easier time solidifying their position within their main K because other main tribes don’t have a significant proportion of the villages, however due to their spread they may quickly end up in a conflict with LA who are on the rim and may look to expand in their direction.

6 YGI? : white
Lead by: Shark79
Key K’s: 34/35
A small group of players based in K34 and K35, have already been working together on an informal level, while they lack numbers of the other tribes there members are mostly experienced players from the early worlds. Share a border with attack, which may see an early conflict if alliances/naps aren’t set up.

7 LA : Blue
Lead by: Deciphered
Key K’s: 46
Pretty much on the rim, they have almost complete control of the eastern part of K46 however will have to spread out to the rest of their K if they are wanting to gain true dominance, this will probably see them come into early conflict with Feb the 13th who have members in the western side of K46.

8 Santa! : Purple
Lead by: AllyDInDaHouse
Key K’s: None
A tribe which has survived Feb the 13th however looking at their player spread it will be hard for them to stay as a true contender as they have a number of small cores which are likely to get swiftly eaten up by the main K tribes in the area. However Ally is meant to be a good player, and they by far have the best tribal COA, so I hope they stick around!

9 RB : Pink
Lead by: ftw97
Key K’s: 44
A four man tribe against the world, you’ve got to respect that, I’m going to reserve judgement just at the moment because I’m sure they are either going to get a couple more members or move tribes quickly, as I don’t see 4 of them staying on their own.

10 K55 : Grey
Lead by: Bob Sherly
Key K’s: 55 (who’d have guessed)
Well they get the award for least imaginative name so far, dragging their heels somewhat at 10th which I’m surprised at when you consider that it is a core K.

Here’s a better quality map (courtesy of mattcurr):
Untitled-1-17.jpg

Top 15 players just after the unlock:
1 albrew5 ATTACK 445.586 50 8912
2 ftw97 RB 431.777 50 8636
3 tgo0 LA-G 387.666 42 9230
4 OjibweMan ATTACK 386.843 39 9919
5 frombie ATTACK 350.077 39 8976
6 Carthon II ATTACK 326.044 41 7952
7 firatdinlerr40 Feb.13 295.956 33 8968
8 ornyto PM 293.677 33 8899
9 Floner ATTACK 279.520 32 8735
10 bojanm ATTACK 268.036 33 8122
11 Titan414 266.414 29 9187
12 weiliang89 Feb.13 263.891 29 9100
13 RobTheGreat ATTACK 262.361 32 8199
14 ChazGC ATTACK 250.682 34 7373
15 Calinor YGI? 246.945 29 8515

Source: http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthread.php?t=124297

It is perhaps testament to the fiery environemnt of that first week that some prospects were lost as quickly as they had come. PM was one such endeavour. Like other top tribes at the time, it had a large amount of very strong players who had been picked as the lock progressed and was thus armed with a strong membership. Many were expecting this tribe to punish the leaders of the time, ATTACK, with a superior membership. But as these things go, the tribe was lost within days and one of the more interesting prospects of the time was snuffed out (Loss of PM). Many members went to local tribes, in particular ATTACK was furnished with quite a number of strong members who would provide a core for later conflicts and who endure to this day.

It is also interesting to note that after ATTACK had established itself on the first day, it scarcely relinquished its position at the top of the leaderboards, something which must have been down to the immense planning of those in charge. Already we see the world forming as many will remember after that dizzy first week. In many ways it is a good thing that the world took shape so quickly, it makes the history rather simple because the tribes formed here tended to last far longer than if we done similar topics on a normal world. 3 months to throw out the riff raff and 3 months to plan. Predictions at this point anybody? Well, a lot expected PM to do well, but they disbanded as quickly as the had come; ATTACK were dividing opinion around the issue of mass recruitment and a lack of a core area; YGI?, Nstlk*, LA-G – all were contenders. It was one of those interesting times where things were still open, the vultures were watching to see whose plans had come to fruition and who had disappointed.

However, it was not just the unlock which was a key moment, my other reference in the title was to voting. With a tribe limit having not been agreed at the start of the world due to the settings, it was in the hands of players to decide:

Survey
World 27 is coming to the point where random and forced tribes will be ending.
With that said, we will have a vote on what tribe limit the players prefer. Whichever choice has the most votes will go into affect when Tribe Lock is ended on February 13th.
40 414 33.09%

60 33 2.64%

80 12 0.96%

100 425 33.97%

150 7 0.56%

200 6 0.48%

250 6 0.48%

Unlimited 348 27.82%

Votes cast: 1251

It was by the smallest of margins that a limit of 100 beat 40. It’s one of those moments when one can reflect upon what might have happened had the limit only been 40. Speculations to that effect are here. As for the vote itself, it was a defining moment in W27 and set the score for the future of the world. The contemporary thoughts of influential players are thus.

As the dust settled from the first week we had the world taking shape. Those successful tribes were establishing themselves and beginning to iron out the internal machinations. It was, in so many ways, looking like a real world again.

Some thoughts on the tribe lock, courtesy of the Weekly:
_XsaphiraX said:
1)What do you think about the Tribe unlock?

Ephette: It came too late, this was an experimental world and hopefully they will implement the changes needed if they do decide to do this again.
eg Bring the lock down to 2 months duration.
Have a second vote for a tribe leader after perhaps another month - I think this caused most of the probs, a tribe being stuck with a tribe leader who had no interest in the tribe or this world.

stampcoin: What did i think about the tribe unlock. well... It was nice to finally get out of the old tribes that was for sure. Finally got the action in World 27 started, and finally we had Freedom!

Bob Sherly: The tribe unlock was just delaying the inevitable, even in our previous tribes that we got sorted into we could have had the same situation but we couldn't as we were spread too far apart. Other than that the tribe unlock was set for too long, even as an experiment, they should have put it as a trial at 1 month, then 2, etc.

waylander29: the lock was silly, no good at all every1 just made alliances and had an other tribe that way.

shark79: Tribe Unlock is an act, which benefits the cooperative players, who like the team playing. It tends to develop the social skills of people , which is one of the reasons this game exists.

ashiwwru12: its great and their is excitement everywhere.everybody wanted to do things on their own way like previos worlds.this is the oppurtunity to learn for new players and exp players will make their own tribe and invite all the strong player to lead the tribe..

TheLastDragon: As for the tribe unlock i dont think having it locked in the first place really accomplished anything other than wasting alot of important time. The unlocking simply made it possible for the same veteran players to all leave and team up together again. Beyond that i cant honestly say its had any effect on the world at all.

Sweeney2kaii8 said:
What did you think of the tribe lock?

olafSchlief
I think the idea behind the tribe lock was ok but it did not have the desired results. I feel they intended to get rid of premade tribes and force people to work with a new group of tribe mates. This might of had a chance if they did not start tribes with members all over the world maybe contained each tribe to one quadrant.

February/March – An End to Peace

We enter now the grittier times of W27, a time where peace slides into obscurity and players who have been so long dormant have a chance to unleash themselves. Where would TW be without a war to round things off. We look of course to the first major tribal conflict of W27 and that is between ATTACK and LA-G. We only had to wait 10 days.

It was something of a disappointment in a lot of ways, the fight was awfully one sided and the PnP was a little lacklustre. It wasn’t a war in the strictest sense of things, more of a cleansing operation at the expense of LA-G. It was a swift and crushing defeat, but before ATTACK could finish what they had started, an event occurred that forever tarnished the reputation of another tribe and did for a moment, threaten to bring about an unexpected change to the W27 order.
I think however some context is necessary. We face a situation on W27 at the time where a tribe is threatening to become too large, not large enough so as to merit the forces of other tribes all combined, the threat that grows but is never dealt with. This is what ATTACK was becoming at the time; it was steadily improving its membership and making its diplomatic deals, forging a strong position. When it brushed aside LA-G early on, it no doubt sent a message to other tribes about the strength of ATTACK. They were outgrowing their rivals and something had to be done.
Thus it was that Feb.13 took it upon themselves to fight ATTACK in could well have been a war to decide the dominant force in the world. Although ATTACK was larger, it was already fighting a war and there were rumours at the time that YGI? would be lending a hand against ATTACK too.

It aroused great controversy at the time. On the one hand, it was seen as a necessary move to counter the behemoth of ATTACK, while others claimed it was a dishonourable move and this reputation, with ATTACK having emerged as the victors, seems to have stuck. Despite early gains due to the surprise element from Feb.13, things evened out and then turned against ATTACK. With LA-G left largely alone for the moment, ATTACK focused on this war and the superior numbers began to tell. With no help forthcoming from other tribes, Feb.13’s gambit backfired and they were outnumbered. Even so, it was a slow war above all, and dragged on for over a month without massive gains.

After just over a month, Feb 13 disbanded and was followed by the amnesty mail post from ATTACK: http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthread.php?t=132855. Interestingly enough, FurionX wrote rather prophetically:

now world 27 has to watch ATTACKS dick tatorship begin. and albrew you always will be the biggest dick

Poor language aside, it was a statement that is all the more ironic in these times. We have an interesting world forming, with a dominant tribe threatening to remain so whilst their rivals neglect this fact. The remnants split into several smaller tribes – C46, 4Fun and Gone; each with varying intentions against ATTACK, while other members joined ATTACK or else chose to remain tribeless for the moment. The spectre of Feb.13 was gone. As ATTACK celebrated its victory over Feb.13, its next closest rivals – Nstlk* and YGI? – went to war with each other.

Seeing as I cannot find a declaration, I can link to one, but it is of no consequence; this proved to be a most disappointing war. Whilst many were keen to see YGI? tested out, they were yet another hot prospect destined to come to nothing. Following a war lasting less than a fortnight, the YGI? leadership fell apart and the remaining tribe merged with Nstlk*.

As they did so, a monumental period came to an end. Feb.13 and LA-G were gone as major forces while ATTACK and Nstlk* began to square off against each other. The stage was set for the greatest war yet to come.

April – Stalking the Shadows

04apw271copy.jpg

It is quite a picture, the world at this time. We have our two major players, ATTACK and Nstlk* growing tense in an uneasy peace. While ATTACK is eager to move on the Feb.13 remnants, it knows that to do so would be to invite Nstlk* and for the second time an enemy escapes annihilation. On the other side, Nstlk* are thinking of how to win the war against ATTACK should it come, and looking to the two undecided elements who could tip the balance. I talk of course about ~AOW~ and T-GR.

As it stands, ATTACK, as powerful as it is, cannot hope to take on the entire world, and just as it isolated Feb.13, so too does it need to be sure of a solo conflict without usurpers. ~AOW~ and to a lesser extent, T-GR have it within their power to tip the balance either way and the triple alliance of Nstlk*, ATTACK and ~AOW~ is beginning to become tense.

And all it took as one spark and it was quite something when it came. The largest war yet in W27 history was about to unfold.

So it was that Nstlk* and ATTACK went to war. Just again the excuses came from ATTACK about dishonourable conduct, but the element of surprise certainly gave Nstlk* the early edge. Indeed, it was looking good for Nstlk* in those early days and ATTACK were punished for a lack of forward planning. But the war was hanging in the balance, and both tribes held their breath they looked to see what the other tribes would do.

Sweeney2kaii8 said:
Why did Nstlk* declare on ATTACK?

olafSchlief
At the time of Nstlk* declaration on ATTACK? they were the biggest tribe in the world and the gap was expanding, So when they dropped our alliance we felt we had no choice but to declare before they declared on us. Now Nstlk* had plenty of opportunities earlier on in the world before we even had an alliance with ATTACK to join the other tribes and go to war with ATTACK. When feb13 declared their were talks asking for Nstlk* to join them and YGI in a war on ATTACK we declined as the nightstalker council did not believe in gang bangs and thats what it would have been at the time.

~AOW~ was the first to declare its allegiance on the side of ATTACK, honouring that alliance. Although perhaps a less experienced tribe, the numbers were now significantly against Nstlk*, and with their advantages surrendered, they would face a tough war.

Sweeney2kaii8 said:
What did you think of ~AOW~ and ATTACK's merge?

olafSchlief
~AOW~ merge with ATTACK is what killed the last chance of w27 being an enjoyable world to play on for most players. when one tribe is that much bigger than all the rest with the settings on that world its not a contest of skill anymore just a matter of time.
A lot of players I have talked to agreed with this point even quite a few of ATTACK own players

This left T-GR who had in fact been squaring off against ~AOW~ in the past, and following persuasion from Nstlk*, joined them against ~AOW~ and ATTACK. We had then, our two sides, and a war to decide the dominant tribe in the world.

w2725thapril2.png

As we near the end of April, the war is blossoming into full swing. With the two sides clearly defined and with support readied to the frontlines, the conflict once again slowed. With the impetus of ~AOW~, the conquers had been more or less evened and the lack of reliable war stats from the time makes further commentary difficult. Most seem to recall a largely static front and slow and sporadic conquers on the isolated players of each side.

As the end of April approached and we lapsed into May we witnessed what would be the most momentous event yet in W27 as ~AOW~ and ATTACK agreed to reinforce their alliance and merge to form Shadow (name change actually occurred part way into May). Shadow against the world was fast becoming the thought on everyone’s mind as Nstlk* began to relent and the omnipresent spectre of inactivity and RL began to claw at them. An end was not in sight, but Shadow was beginning to seek an advantage, and with T-GR remnants mopped up in the South, it was just the NW to be decided.

Top 20 at the end of April
1. ATTACK
2. Nstlk*
3.C46
4.TK
5.LA-G
6.4Fun
7.T-GR
8.K25PG
9.-AA-
10.*TKP*
11.SORRY!
12.Dstlk
13.~AOW~
14.~TSS~
15.~VEN~
16.Feb.13
17.*Epic
18.BOA
19.TLF
20.TKRT​

Maccano1 said:
I'll do my version of the top 20:

1. ATTACK - A solid tribe that has just got alot better thanks to the players of AOW, some very tallented players Mande, Ftw, Flooner...etc. Success in the Nstlk* war will effectivley win this world for them.

2. Nstlk* - The pretenders to the throne? Fighting against the odds against a tribe twice their size, have some tallented players, but will probably need help to defeate ATTACK in the purest sence, although if activity can be held at a high level are in a position to grind out a stale mate.

3.C46 - If I'm correct these players formed the bulk of Feb13. So a solid core of players, although low in number. My question is are they still actively fighting ATTACK? (as Attack said they'd hunt down the Feb 13 players) Players such as Grim and Filp are a fixture in the worlds top 20 and their tribe could go on to play a pivotol role in the ATTACK/Nstlk* war by choosing one of the sides.

4.TK - Eastern Rim tribe, I can't say I know much about them, so its hard to comment. Lack any real recognisable names, however have a good number of players in the 150-300 bracket which may grow at a quick rate to make them a challenger.

5.LA-G - Are still around some how, I'm not sure how exactly but have defied the odds to be around and kicking. Have made a home of the Border of 34/24 (I assume recruiting some RIM players?). Still have players scattered around though. Riddled with inactive players, and not a force in the world that they really should be for a 5th ranked tribe.

6.4Fun - The rest of the players from Feb13 if I'm not mistaken. Same comments really apply to them as C46 although on a lesser scale. They could prove to be a thorn in the side of either ATTACK or Nstlk* if they choose to enter the war. Is there any bad blood between them and C46? As I would imagine a merge between these two tribes would put them as a really strong third tribe which could stand on there own (although would be lacking in numbers - but I think everyone knows I thats my preference).

7.T-GR - A tribe I thought would do better than it is. However their postition isn't really conductive to growth. Bar declaring on ATTACK or -AA- I can't see a ready expansion route. I expect them to fight a small tribe or merge into some one.

8.K25PG - North/North West rim tribe, lacking any real quality other than Synister Zero, have a couple of inactives in their top 20 which also doesn't help them. Maybe a merge with annother rim tribe's better players would prove more fruitfull. And allow them to progress.

9.-AA- - Small tribe which although lacks stand out names, but none the less has a solid top 10-15. However is plagued by inactives down their lower order so would suffer heavily if war came to them.

10.*TKP* - As same with AA, they have a very solid and stable top half, however have a good number of inactives in the lower end of the scale. The home of one of w27's, more notorious lover of cuddly avatars is probably their biggest claim to fame.

11.SORRY! - Although a small tribe, they seem to be doing well with keeping everyone active (although have recently lost a few players if I'm right). If they can keep the activity going in the lower orders, they may become a respectable tribe.

12.Dstlk - As people may or may not know, I'm a bit of a closet Free-eekist, and personally hate the idea of having an accademy on this world. Although they have some good players (and most notibly one of World 9's most famous spammers), however too many players that are just there because they know some one.

13.~AOW~ - The abandoned few. Have a couple of seemingly good players, however I assume that they aren't willing to take part in tribal activities if they have been left behind. Some tribe may try and merge them for points.

14.~TSS~ - I don't know about them so will not comment. (although I don't like ~ in names either (purely as I always forget about them when trying to search for tribes)).

15.~VEN~ - I don't know about them so will not comment.

16.Feb.13 - Top 4 players may be of use to some one, but as a whole, a spent entity.

17.*Epic - I don't know about them so will not comment.
18.BOA - I don't know about them so will not comment.
19.TLF - I don't know about them so will not comment.
20.TKRT - I don't know about them so will not comment.

Source: http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthread.php?t=140495p

A conquers map courtesy of the Weekly:
NewMap.png

By now, the map was taking on a recognisable shape, with some new tribes carving a name for themselves. As Feb.13 remnants went their separate ways, some joining Shadow, others to Nstlk*, the size of those tribes diminished and LA-G was fading, new tribes were coming to the fore. In the East, we had TK, and in the South, AA. But most interestingly, in the North East, two tribes had been growing who had been keeping out of affairs – SORRY! and K25PG. It was these two who would draw some attention to themselves at that time and give some others news than just Shadow/Nstlk*. It may not have been the most ambitious war, but it was a reminder that other tribes did exist and were not perhaps to be underestimated completely.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

First Post yay me!

HAPPY ANIVERSERY WORLD 27!!!!!!!​

errr, long read. I enjoyed what I read, going to try to finish reading the rest in between the skype chats, learning spanish, etc.

btw, paraskevidekatriaphobia=fear of friday the 13th ;)

Ok, anyone who has been here since the beginning, message me on Skype please. I'm gonna write the section for pre-lock W27 (which imo should have been the first section, but I won't go there)

DeletedUser

lol, i thought i would come back, just to say hey on the forums :)

DeletedUser

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear w27, happy birthday to you :):):)

Very good work Zarin, we're lucky to have somone like you here to do somthing like this, I for one think you deserve a clap. {clap} {clap} {clap} :icon_razz:

DeletedUser

Paraskev meaning Friday, Dekeitri meaning Thirteen, and phobia meaning Fear........all Greek to me!!

Brilliant Zarin ... we are very fortunate to have players like you.

DeletedUser

I am glad people are enjoying it, I have just tidied it up a bit and adjusted a few things. There will be mistakes in there and I am still deciding on how to arrange things, but it should give you a rough idea of it. Anything extra that people wish to add would be much appreciated, as well as comments on what's good and bad and how to improve it.

DeletedUser

Really long to read, but still interesting!
Thanks for writing though. Nice to have an anniversary

DeletedUser

Part 2!

So we have a world forming, predictions at the time were many and varied. On the one hand we have Shadow and Nstlk* battling for the top spot, but a victory there is not clear cut and certainly would not yet seem to define the world. Neither of the two sides can yet resist the combined force of all tribes, and as Shadow have edged in front on points, it makes them more susceptible as a target.

WorldMapinProgress.png

Top10playermap.png

1 ftw97 - early on nobeled everything while the other tribes were at war. Doing good imo i wonder what his attacks are like.

2 tgo0 - keeping quiet and building up his cluster love to see what this player can do

3 Carthon II - Likes to nobel in different Ks opens his nobeling options doing well

4 frombie- I believe its his first world doing very good still needs to learn a bit more :icon_wink:

5 bojanm - talked to him a few times good bloke but going inactive

6 tresorro - this guy is everywhere :icon_surprised: likes to get involved in wars i assume as i can see a few of his villages in former YGI area as well as few villages near attack :icon_wink:

7 ChazGC - albrew was in his area might of affected his growth lets see what he can do now

8 Mande1992 - out of the blue comes to 1st ODA congrats btw. Making a nice cluster in k53 near nstlk :eek:

9 micko80 - like chazGC now that albrew left see what he can do.

10 gerick6 - frontline with Nstlk holding out well

11 Sparkosss - spread out might be coz of the early mass recruitment or simply looking for better villages :D. Doing well so far

12 kfoo - grew fast but where to now?

13 Grimlock- inactive, lazy pointwhore i trully am havent done much except nobel barbs :icon_redface:

14 puccagb06 - was thinking of quitting but doing well he still has around 400K to nobel before he runs out of villages :icon_wink:

15 olafSchlief - I believe he is an experienced player who knows Tw strategy :icon_wink:

16 4Knife RO - dont know what to say sorry :S

17 mikestuntz - dont know what to say sorry :S

18 theSleepwalker - dont know what to say sorry :S

19 filphillip - think its his first world fast learner and loves to war :D

20 maccano1 - former YGI i am sure he knows how to play this game well and will rise in rankings if he doesnt go inactive :s

May – The Two Powers

We enter perhaps the most influential period in Shadow’s rise to dominance. The stage is set for a gruelling war between two superpowers, while vultures wait on the sidelines threatening to plunge the entire world into a bitter war. At the moment, it really is too close to call.

Stats for May 2 - May 9
[spoil]
Side 1:
Tribes: Shadow ~AOW~
Players:

Side 2:
Tribes: Nstlk* Dstlk
Players:

Timeframe: Last week

Total conquers against opposite side:

Side 1: 37
Side 2: 40
Difference: 3

image.php

Points value of total conquers against opposite side:

Side 1: 325,928
Side 2: 352,281
Difference: 26,353

image.php
[/spoil]

And yet in a month’s time we shall see Shadow take a lead which it never relinquished. Let’s look again at the situation. Beneath a façade of an even war, Nstlk* was struggling. Despite its early impetus, its advances had slowed and having cleared up the easy targets, it seemed less well prepared for the protracted war which it faced. From what I have heard about this time, morale was lower in the Nstlk* camp than it outwardly seemed and their leaders were under a lot of stress to deliver in this war. The T-GR recruits had proved far less valuable than ~AOW~ who ATTACK merged with and the other tribes of the world were keeping to their own affairs.

It is not perhaps difficult to understand why the larger players of Nstlk* could no longer continue to work, we cannot often predict the requirements of war and although I cannot speak for the exact circumstances of the loss of these players, we do know that they came at this time and were a blow from which Nstlk* never recovered. Olaf and sparkosss both drifted away at this time leaving a massive hole in the Western front in K53, followed rather soon afterward by tresorro and 4knife (who was banned in early June), while theSleepwalker formed his own tribe. Effectively, Nstlk* had relinquished the entire area of K53 to Shadow as well as losing parts of its upper echelons and quite a lot of points. On the Shadow side of things, their persistence had paid off and Nstlk* had been dealt a terrible blow.

However, whilst Shadow was showered with barb villages on one front, it was facing a grave threat on the other. Although Nstlk* might have lost influential players, it did have its war effort reinforced by Bored. This was basically a collection of ex-Feb.13 players who had formed a tribe for the purpose of renewing a fight and having some fun to relive their boredom. Unfortunately a server update caused their thread to be lost.

And that was not all on Shadow’s mind. Remember K25PG and SORRY!? They decided to merge following their highly successful war against *epic and became a larger K25PG before changing their name to [IRON].

June – Knightfall

We begin in June by looking at how the rankings are shaping up. The superpowers are growing distant from each other, with Shadow far ahead, then Nstlk* with others struggling to catch up, but not it seems with Shadow out of reach just yet. The top ten too should also be noted; we see the significant presence of Shadow among the top players, with only Nstlk* and ASLEEP challenging them. We see that other tribes lacked these significantly experienced players to lead by example and to spearhead initiatives.

Stats from the beginning of June:
Top Ten Tribes
1 Shadow 31.189.654 41.156.593 79 520.970 4307 9.556
2 Nstlk* 16.772.739 19.457.310 72 270.240 2060 9.445
3 TK 7.404.924 8.097.386 58 139.610 1036 7.816
4 K25PG 6.277.195 7.531.379 98 76.851 1057 7.125
5 LA-G 5.432.838 5.928.302 72 82.338 803 7.383
6 4Fun 4.182.260 4.182.260 10 418.226 481 8.695
7 -AA- 4.169.035 4.181.814 43 97.251 539 7.758
8 Bored 2.833.950 2.833.950 5 566.790 297 9.542
9 Dstlk* 2.765.386 3.306.681 87 38.008 556 5.947
10 *TKP* 2.660.444 2.759.427 50 55.189 412 6.698

Top Ten Players
1 ftw97 Shadow 1.444.507 149 9695
2 Carthon II Shadow 1.325.220 141 9399
3 theSleepwalker ASLEEP 1.257.139 122 10304
4 tresorro Nstlk* 1.227.596 108 11367
5 4Knife RO Nstlk* 1.222.101 120 10184
6 micko80 Shadow 1.151.503 122 9439
7 kfoo Shadow 1.140.469 117 9748
8 mikestuntz Shadow 1.118.104 114 9808
9 Mande1992 Shadow 1.116.751 115 9711
10 gerick6 Shadow 1.095.282 111 9867​

As I don’t have a map of this time, I can only describe the world as May drew to a close and June began. To the West, Shadow was beginning to gain significant territory from Nstlk* who had lost major players. To the North, the fighting was brutal in K44 and theSleepwalker had left Nstlk* eroding its stronghold in the North West. In the North East, K25PG/[IRON] had been formed and despite its ostensible lower quality of members, it boasted high activity and continent dominance. In the East, Bored had declared upon and old enemies were once again at war; while a tribe called TK was growing strong. In the South, Nstlk* had been defeated and the Shadow stronghold was at least safe, but even the threat of inactivity threatened to claw at it.

W27 stood at a crossroads in history. Shadow, although looking more dominant over Nstlk* by the day, was beleaguered and beset on many sides. There were tribes who could tip the balance who were undeclared and its current enemies were far from beaten. Tribes like [IRON] and TK were watching the war, biding their time with the potential to throw the world into a brutal war. And as we moved into mid June even 4FUN were having a go too. It was a dark hour for Shadow and it could have been pushed to the brink.

It was perhaps the test of faith that Shadow needed. In many ways, despite having been almost constantly at war with one tribe or another, it had always had fortune on its side. Here the world watched as it shouldered new burdens, but Shadow did not break. It was a defining moment, it was fast becoming a worst case scenario, but it was exactly what was needed to mould Shadow, to set it more firmly.

Here we have some stats from the June 21 Weekly:
[spoil]
Zarin said:
Side 1:
Tribes: Shadow
Players:

Side 2:
Tribes: Nstlk*
Players:

Total conquers:

Side 1: 385
Side 2: 110
Difference: 275

image.php

Side 1: 91
Side 2: 23
Difference: 68

image.php

Points value of total conquers:

Side 1: 3,493,750
Side 2: 1,048,879
Difference: 2,444,871

image.php

Side 1: 823,019
Side 2: 217,041
Difference: 605,978

image.php
[/spoil]

And some from the June 28 Weekly:
[spoil]
Zarin said:
Side 1:
Players:

Side 2:
Tribes: Nstlk* Dstlk*
Players: Shisur puccagb06 dEANO1UK gambitv Baby Conan syrozys muffin1219 algorithm9i cikatoma Lord Filo

Total conquers:

Side 1: 357
Side 2: 158
Difference: 199

image.php

Side 1: 127
Side 2: 14
Difference: 113

image.php

Side 1: 3,295,512
Side 2: 1,116,541
Difference: 2,178,971

image.php

Side 1: 1,172,890
Side 2: 136,649
Difference: 1,036,241

image.php
[/spoil]

Despite numerous obstacles, Shadow overcame them, and by the end of June, it had a telling advantage, mainly over Nstlk*. By this time Bored had merged with them and 4Fun were planning to do the same too, but they always seemed to stay on similar points because they were beginning to lose players as fast as they could bring them in while Shadow grew. It seemed that victory over Nstlk* would be forthcoming if all of this continued and it seemed for the moment that other tribes were largely indifferent and would be leaving Nstlk* to its fate. From one of the darkest times, to the road to victory, and all in the space of a month.

Stats from the end of June:
Top Ten Tribes
1 Shadow 36.604.416 47.132.042 74 636.919 4882 9.654
2 Nstlk* 17.776.945 18.080.596 44 410.923 1926 9.388
3 TK 10.299.658 11.436.343 65 175.944 1406 8.134
4 [IRON] 8.316.227 9.891.608 92 107.517 1299 7.615
5 LA-G 7.742.844 8.289.689 68 121.907 1049 7.902
6 Dstlk* 5.739.983 7.028.756 91 77.239 962 7.306
7 *TKP* 3.623.296 3.733.662 50 74.673 533 7.005
8 -AA- 2.613.614 2.613.614 28 93.343 317 8.245
9 FURY 2.369.753 2.590.480 68 38.095 400 6.476
10 ~VEN~ 1.716.711 1.716.711 33 52.022 265 6.478

Top Ten Players
1 ftw97 Shadow 1.810.509 185 9787
2 theSleepwalker ASLEEP 1.670.479 166 10063
3 Carthon II Shadow 1.622.311 172 9432
4 gerick6 Shadow 1.550.265 155 10002
5 Mande1992 Shadow 1.361.416 138 9865
6 micko80 Shadow 1.358.885 142 9570
7 mikestuntz Shadow 1.265.511 130 9735
8 Grimlock- Nstlk* 1.245.507 128 9731
9 filphillip Shadow 1.184.149 134 8837
10 Zarin Shadow 1.175.095 121 9712

July – Foreshadowing Victory

July was a good month for Shadow and a bad one for everybody else. With Nstlk* broken by the loss of many great players, and growing dysfunctional and apathetic in the wake of waning leadership, Shadow had capitalised. It’s new enemies had initially impressed, but they too were being overcome by an insurmountable weight of numbers. Interestingly enough, the world was very much boiling down to this conflict, with little else of note except the lifeless LA-G/~VEN~ war. It seems that the other main tribes were waiting to see what would become of this conflict, or were making plans of their own.

Here are the stats from this last week:
[spoil]
stampcoin said:
Side 1:
Players:

Side 2:
Tribes: Nstlk*
Players:

Total conquers:

Side 1: 272
Side 2: 73
Difference: 199

image.php

Side 1: 72
Side 2: 4
Difference: 68

image.php

Side 1: 2,434,879
Side 2: 646,302
Difference: 1,788,577

image.php

Side 1: 674,053
Side 2: 35,426
Difference: 638,627

image.php
[/spoil]

The stats here are telling the story, and one can remark as to how quickly Nstlk* fell from grace. Indeed some maps courtesy of stampcoin tell the story rather vividly:

April 17th 2009
map17apw27conq.jpg

May 11th 2009
NewMap.png

July 11th 2009
NstlkShadowConquers-1.png

Text -> [spoil]
Tribes: Shadow (green)
Players:

Tribes: Nstlk* (orange)
Players:

Timeframe: Last month

Total conquers against opposite side
Shadow: 360
Nstlk*: 79

Difference 281

Shadow: 3,317,580
Nstlk*: 754, 902

Difference: 2,562,678​
[/spoil]

From the early promise from Nstlk*, to the even and gruelling struggle on both sides, to the epic demise of the new harlequin; it had been an uncertain conflict, and players do maintain that Nstlk* had a good chance. By this stage however, the direction seemed to be in one way and that was down.

While Nstlk* began its fall into obscurity and defeat, there were whispers, rumours that other tribes were seeing the light. No longer content to wait for Shadow to utterly destroy Nstlk* and pick them off one by one, they were preparing to attack it sooner rather than later lest all advantage should be surrendered. We must remember that Shadow was not in a totally dominant position; it may have been far ahead of any other challengers, but their combined totals still outweighed Shadow’s.

Thanks to sweeney for this
sweeney2kaii8 said:
Do you think Nstlk* would have beaten ATTACK/Shadow if y'all had stayed and fought?

olafSchlief said:
don't think so we were badly out numbered and we had to many players that went inactive or passed there sits.
But I do think it would have been a lot closer and depending how many sitted accounts they were playing we might have won

now if aow would not have joined attack/ shadow after the first few weeks we would have won but once the ranked one and three tribes merged with the world settings winning was not really in the cards

What was happening at these times, I do not honestly know, but one can speculate I suppose, these sorts of rumours can have elements of truth within them, and it seemed a logical decision. The real question at this point is whether such a move is viable. If we strip away hindsight for a moment, it’s certainly an interesting prospect, no one has at this point seen TK in action, and [IRON] have been quiet for a long time, as have *TKP*. Did Shadow players expect something? That’s a difficult question; I for one expected something eventually, but for each tribe to declare themselves individually, not to form as one. Other believed it to be nothing more than fancy, while others still were at least planning for the worst case scenario.

As we approached the end of July, things on the rumour front were starting to become more concrete and these were perhaps more than just fanciful susurrations. As July ends, the tribal rankings may put Shadow ahead, but there is still a potential for depth to a new opposition.

Map from Dartship – Shadow in red and rest of the top ten in purple
shadow.png

Top Ten Tribes
1 Shadow 44.652.282 55.099.668 70 787.138 5648 9.756
2 Nstlk* 16.882.711 17.518.835 54 324.423 1872 9.358
3 TK 13.418.616 14.731.145 70 210.445 1813 8.125
4 [IRON] 10.716.530 12.449.368 82 151.822 1551 8.027
5 LA-G 9.616.507 10.056.477 55 182.845 1226 8.203
6 *TKP* 5.383.857 5.715.924 57 100.279 768 7.443
7 Dstlk* 4.834.511 5.013.513 60 83.559 679 7.384
8 FURY 3.597.580 4.025.526 78 51.609 569 7.075
9 ASLEEP 2.224.218 2.224.218 1 2.224.218 220 10.110
10 -AA- 1.729.357 1.729.357 17 101.727 212 8.157

Top Ten Players
1 ftw97 Shadow 2.310.006 234 9872
2 theSleepwalker ASLEEP 2.224.218 220 10110
3 Carthon II Shadow 1.909.442 201 9500
4 gerick6 Shadow 1.818.860 179 10161
5 mikestuntz Shadow 1.725.847 173 9976
6 Mande1992 Shadow 1.664.489 169 9849
7 BrobFellshank Shadow 1.531.263 152 10074
8 Zarin Shadow 1.505.369 150 10036
9 bojanm Shadow 1.466.018 147 9973
10 filphillip Shadow 1.438.680 155 9282

August – A New Adversary

I think those who remember the most recent of history and are familiar with world events will know what is coming now. And indeed we come to possibly the most critical hypothetical question, but before that, on with the declaration that would rock W27.

So it was that after so much waiting, we finally had other tribes declare upon Shadow, and not just one but an entire coalition of them. I think the prevailing emotion here was curiosity, both sides wanted to see how this would turn out, whether the Coalition was capable of being the first to deliver that crushing blow to Shadow. I know that Shadow players would like me to point out here that Shadow was yet again declared upon, and whilst it was already in a war, but I am going to say that the Nstlk* war wasn’t exactly in the balance at this point. Whatever the case, W27 was once again vibrant an intresting.

Me making predictions/on a rant
Zarin said:
I thought that this week I would use this space to make some predictions about the world and cast some of my own opinions into the mix. And what better place to start the war which has begun in our midst?

It was of course a long time in coming. Ever since we were gaining the upper hand and becoming a dominant force other tribes should have thought about this. I guarantee that there were times during the war when a huge declaration like this could have turned the tide of the war. It thus beggars belief that it should be so tardy. For what reason have you shied from necessity?

Perhaps, it is cowardice. Many of the tribes arrayed against us have lots of smaller less experienced members and perhaps this pervaded the leadership of these tribes who felt that they lacked the ability to take on Shadow. True, each tribe alone would have fallen to Shadow, but if we were distracted with the war, we could not have spread our resources so thinly. But you failed to realise this and it will cost you.

Perhaps you felt that Nstlk* would pull through, or that Shadow would disintegrate whilst you calmly built up and picked of whatever was left. I mean, that’s the reason is it not? I would aver that’s the reason why [IRON] or TK didn’t attack sooner. You were waiting for both Shadow and Nstlk* to exhaust themselves so that you could come in and take everything. Nstlk* take the hits like the meat shield you used them as and then you waltz in and crush the weakened Shadow members. By the time Nstlk* realise what has happened, it’s too late for them and you take them as well.

I think you missed the opportune time. Proceeding with that plan was all about the balance between Shadow and Nstlk*, finding a moment when both sides were weak and neither was too far ahead. That was some time ago, and now you have finally realised that this will not work and your hand is forced. It shows; there is no precise coordination but mismatched attacks, no real support anywhere just nukes waiting in villages. It could have worked well; timed correctly I might even have put money on [IRON] or TK to become the dominant force (probably [IRON] out of those two).

What do I think will happen? Shadow will win. I have seen enough of the reports to judge the quality of opponents and I am insulted that you think that you will be enough. In the first 48 hours, you were supposed to seize the initiative, to make some concrete gains, but you floundered in your inexperience and ineptitude. As it stands, you do not have the ability to destroy a single player, let alone the entire tribe. Soon we shall bring our full might to bear and you shall know how wrong you were to wait this long. When your leaders fall, the lesser players will disintegrate and Shadow will purge the remaining resistance. We shall take our victory then and move on.

What’s that; bias? True enough, I don’t know what you have up your sleeves, so let’s finish with the hypothesis of what might happen should Coalition tribes win the day. I think that this victory would be down mainly to [IRON] and Nstlk*, the other tribes seem to be less enthusiastic in their pursuit of greatness. Then perhaps those two would make an alliance, Nstlk* would deal with either TKP or LA-G whilst [IRON] would go after TK splitting the world in two. After that, I see one last final war between those two in which the greater experience of remaining Nstlk* players would probably tell and if they could keep a tribe together, they would probably make some good ground and become the dominant force. Who knows? You would probably merge all the best players if you won into one uber tribe and try to finish the world.

Finally, I wish good luck to all those involved, I am glad you finally joined in and I look forward to meeting you all on the battlefield.

Contemporary predictions and a diatribe intended to incite a little bit of debate. But the point is there, Shadow had the belief that it could win, even against this new threat while the Coalition was more enamoured to the fact that it had to win. It is undeniably true however, that the attacker should be looking to make the early gains and significant ones at that. Unfortunately it didn’t quite happen.

Stats from the first week of the war:
[spoil]Side 1:
Players:

Side 2:
Tribes: Nstlk* Dstlk* [IRON] TK LA-G FURY
Players:

Total conquers:

Side 1: 371
Side 2: 387
Difference: 16

image.php

Side 1: 231
Side 2: 73
Difference: 158

image.php

Side 1: 3,290,169
Side 2: 2,311,880
Difference: 978,289

image.php

Side 1: 2,055,437
Side 2: 667,036
Difference: 1,388,401

image.php
[/spoil]

I suppose these do come with the caveat that different tribes displayed widely different abilities in the fighting, but the crucial early push was still not there. Only against [IRON] was Shadow struggling, and [IRON] had, all credit to them, made an excellent effort at things and kept the stats in their favour for some time.

The other tribes were a mixed bag, Nstlk* and Dstlk* were only vaguely inspired by these events and had the unfortunate effect of skewing the early stats and inflating the later ones. TK made little early impact and seemed to make the Coalition look meaner than it was. LA-G tried to make a better stab at it this time, but their location (or rather lack thereof) let them down. FURY did surprisingly well and earned kudos from me, but ultimately struggled due to their size.

And talking of enemies, it was at this time that a new tribe, from the ashes of another. Yes, I talk about REF of course. Unfortunately, it was another case of great expectations coming to nothing at all.

Beginning of REF: http://forum.tribalwars.net/showthread.php?t=160068

My commentary from that time (recorded in the Weekly)
Zarin said:
A long time ago, there was a tribe called YGI?. Many had hope for this tribe, it would be a compact unit of strong players who would be aggressive and determined. One might hesitate to use the word elite, but there was an ethos concerned with a high average level of skill among players and no little talent amongst its ranks. Ultimately, it did not come to fruition and as with PM our hopes were for nothing.

So it is with trepidation that the arrival of a new tribe which adheres to those ideals is announced. It has certainly attracted the attention of one or two solo players who had become disillusioned with Nstlk* as well as ex-YGI? members. They are also united under a strong leader and have a clear ethos.

Thus, it appears that we could very well have a strong tribe in the making, or like YGI? it could crumble internally. Let us hope that such a thing does not yet happen as REF could be very much a catalyst for increased conflict and action across the world. They have already locked horns with Shadow, but are not part of the Coalition either; something of an interesting rogue element.

At the moment, we see only the tentative beginnings of this tribe and it will be a test of their leadership as to how things continue. The world will watch as we may yet see the rise of a great tribe, or another dashing of our hopes and a tragic slide into obscurity. As Livy once said: ‘In war, the outcome corresponds less to expectations than in any other case whatsoever.’

As we see, REF had styled itself as a tribe of high calibre and had strong members and a good ethos, so ostensibly at least the prospects were good. It is key to remember, on the other hand, that these players had all been in Nstlk*, no one new was joining the fight and in fact, REF’s early policy was one of isolationism, keeping out of the way of other tribes which effectively rendered Nstlk* without many top players.

We have a stage set for what could be the final showdown, the final test for Shadow which would hand them victory, or defeat. What was perhaps most interesting time was that whilst some tribes thought it logial to join the Coalition, others like *TKP* and GR*FM and SAM did not. These were due, in all cases, to a lack of faith in the Coalition and what it could do and these tribes did not wish to speed up their prospective demises. Now, when reasonably neutral members don’t have faith in it, it is not an auspicious start, but is perhaps because everyone knew, or thought that they knew what Shadow could do whilst these new upstarts were largely new prospects. And among all of this we had undeclared elements and the rogue presence of REF. Curiosity and perhaps hope for the onlookers, but it still held that the victor here would simply become the next entity to win the world.

Deciphered catches up with some of the smaller tribes of the world:

[spoil]
Deciphered said:
The War to End All Wars...or is it?

We always hear from the top tribes. We always hear how the stats are looking between the #1 and the #2 tribe and who is on top. We hear this because that is naturally what we pay attention to. Why would we care about the smaller players and tribes who form that ugly bulge around the rim?

This week I took the liberty of talking to some of the leaders of certain smaller tribes, mainly through their leaders, about what they thought about the current situation of W27 and their opinions when looking toward our future, post-war.

Of the Rank 10 to 20 tribes, only 1 of them (Dstlk*) helps to form what we like to call 'The Coalition'. You may dismiss them for not being able to have a significant impact on the world, but could things have worked better had the coalition leaders organised a more effective front against Shadow?

XXX said:
1) The top 20 - 10 tribes join in on the fight against Shadow and we all grow together whilst taking their villages and forming a couple ally tribes within the 'Coalition' which naturally come about when working together.

This opinion is commonly shared amongst several of the said tribes. They suggest a reform of sorts to gather tribes into groups and actually allow to work together by being able to send support. Did they (The Coalition) miss out on a good opportunity to form a stronger, united offensive on Shadow? Is it really too late?

I leave the latter question up to you. Although it is mainly rhetorical, I wish to encourage free thought amongst our ranks - which is why I decided to write this 'article'.

Many messages I received talked of a downright Shadow victory, people know and fear of their collective organisation and prowess all over the world:

XXX said:
2) Shadow wins, game over.

XXX said:
I feel Shadow will come out on top simply because how well you work together and also the area shadow covers!

XXX said:
At this point it is to late to try to Beat shadow in a war, the only chance for any player not in shadow, is to attempt to join them.

XXX said:
I believe Shadow will come out on top.

XXX said:
First, shadow has more safeguarded territory than the coalition. although coalition forces is circling the map but the strength of the attacks are not that great as the shadow.
Second, coalition forces cannot send support to each tribes involve.
Third, shadow has more stronger players than the coalition.

Most of this may be true, but the only reason players say these things is due to the reputation of said tribe. It can be argued that Shadow have never truly been tested on a global scale. Sure, the archaic Feb.13 vs. ATTACK war was originally tight, but Shadow lacked longevity and commitment from their opponents. The start of the Nstlk* vs. Shadow war was also close but again Shadow won, mainly, by keeping up activity and morale rather than winning by skill and coordination alone.

One thing that all of the tribes I have spoken to agree with is that this war was necessary to keep the world alive. Could it give them breathing space and enable them to grow whilst their enemies weaken? We all thought the Nstlk* vs. Shadow war would decide the world as no-one paid attention to [IRON] or TK back then. The war gave them time to grow and leave them in the position they are in now.

So is there hope yet?
[/spoil]

So how is it that within the space of a month, such a bright prospect for this world was covered in Shadow? The denouement was as catastrophic as it was bathetic. In those first weeks, the Coalition had kept things reasonably even, but as things wore on, gradually Shadow moved ahead. The stats were always difficult at the time because Shadow made the larger numbers from the inactive Coalition constituents, whereas some elements were holding up well.

Opinions from Coalition players:
willettskillz said:
Coalition Commentary – willettskillz

Gunther MAplethorpe – [spoil]I know I’m showing my own bias here, but I’ll ask anyway. After the last issue of the World 27 Weekly came out, the only tribe ahead of Shadow in the stats was [IRON]. Do you think that anything specifically made this a little easier for us than others tribes in the Coalition?

This is a difficult question to answer. I have not spent much time within the other tribes, so any comparison I may make about why [IRON] has been faring better is purely speculative. I am convinced it’s more about the meta-game, though, rather than anything as mundane as troops strengths, village build styles, or the like. [IRON] has a strong group consciousness, with the majority of our members having played alongside each other for a long time. The merges that brought about SORRY!, K25PG, and ultimately [IRON] were made of packs of players who had similarly played together since near the beginning, with the resultant close bonds formed amongst the people behind the players. I haven’t seen this level of trust in any other online game I’ve played, and certainly not in the other TW worlds of which I’ve been a part.

Do you think that the Coalition's strength in numbers trumps Shadow's ability to coordinate between a lesser number of players?

That remains to be seen, doesn’t it? I don’t think it’s too difficult to surmise that though the Coaltion has many more players involved, such numbers necessarily bring with them a lack of cohesion; the more players you have, the more difficult it is to coordinate effectively. Shadow has a 67 players, and anyone in a tribe of more than a dozen can attest to the inverse relationship coordination has with tribe size. These issues grow exponentially, it seems, as the number of tribes involved grows. Throw in other minor challenges like the level of inexperience of smaller and newer players, and the apparent advantage in numbers sometimes feels like a distinct disadvantage.

That said, we’ve already seen the worst of those issues; they’re already being looked at and fixed. We will only continue to break down those barriers to coordination. Shadow, on the other hand, can only become less cohesive than they are, as they continue to lose villages in the war, and will lose players due to inactivity and exhaustion. The two factors that seem to pull players out of TW are real life issues, and lethargy; the large player base of the Coalition is much less susceptible to those factors, while even one player leaving Shadow is a significant portion of their team.

As a member of the Coalition who actively fights Shadow, do you see a large gap in experience between the opposites sides of the war in the north?

I thought that I did before the war started. Like many players on this world, I saw the bugaboo of Shadow as a large, frightening force, impossible to touch. But I see now that this is mostly smoke and mirrors; it was simply the size of the beast that struck fear, not the ability of its membership. After the war launched, though, I saw that we had truly overestimated the beast. There is a gap in experience, to be sure; Shadow has some strategic players, and can put a long-range goal into play. But that gap is not the gaping chasm I once thought it was, but merely a small fissure easily bridged.

With the northern end of Shadow taking the heaviest hits from the Coalition, do you see K35 and K36 folding to the Coalition control by the end of the war?

I reject the premise of your question. I see K35 and K36 coming into Coalition hands before the middle of the war! The northern arm of Shadow is the main battleground for [IRON], and barring anything totally unforeseen happening, I cannot see those continents lasting long in Shadow’s hands. In fact, one could make the argument that the longer they hold out in their northern pseudopod, drawing support from the south, the worse off they’ll be.[/spoil]

samurai kiwi – [spoil]
Do you have an explanation as to why the statistics in the last week’s World 27 Weekly were in Shadow's favour?

ok, shadow were prepared for us, they might not have known all the tribes involved but they knew enough to defend what was needed and counter rapidly.

Nstlk* and Shadow have been warring for quite some time now. Why do you think that the statistics are as they are?

early on in the war i had quite a few isolated vils where shadow could get at them easily, and thats what they did, after those had fallen i made my push and got some back but when our big players quit all together i was left isolated in a new K again and so have slowly lost them. make them work tho :)

What do you think are Shadow’s and the Coalition’s biggest advantages and disadvantages in this war?

shadows biggest advantage is that they are a good tribe that have played together for a long time, mostly experienced players.

The coalitions biggest advantage is tht we are spread out around shadow forcing them to stretch their defence further than they have previously, they might be able to do it, only time will tell.

Coalitions biggest disadvantage is communication between tribes and not being able to support each other.

Now, please add any more comments that you feel would enlighten the readers of the World 27 Weekly and that will bring our conversation to a close.

World 27 is a world that is full of inactive players who were mostly new to the game but many of the remaining players are expereinced, myself included. This will be a long, hard and close fought battle that is still to early to say which way it will go, SHADOW are a good tribe but i believe that the coalition can take them down if we work together.

Play hard, fight fair and have fun :D[/spoil]

ashiwwru12 – [spoil]After the statistics came out in the World 27 Weekly, no more than 2 days after the war had been declared some players were surprised by how the personal statistics of LA-G and Shadow were almost even (5-6).

What do you think contributed to the statistics between your two tribes coming out the way that they did?

this is our strategy which worked.some of the village we lost because of more coordinated activity by shadow otherwise we recaptured them.

strategy we can't disclose openly but congratulate my tribe mates for there contribution and achievements.

luck also favour us because shadow have limited players compare to "coalition" and they cant focus all the players at the same time this is the principle of our strategy before war started .i think you get the hints.

With LA-G's positioning in the world, do you think that having your cluster in K24 away from the fighting is a pro or a con?

actually k24 cluster is very much isolated from the center but contributing a lot in this war.

we have our resources and army coming from there continously,so we have a good supply line now and always during the.

so we are getting help from the position of world

LA-G has been fighting Shadow constantly since the end of tribe-lock. At times this war went cold but for the most part LA-G, effectively, has lost up until now. Do you think that with the Coalition by your side that LA-G will show better statistics than has been shown in the past?

yes definately. we already proved that by our statistics from the 2 days of war declaration. we destroyed more than 300 nukes of shadow till now through our defence.we are also using some new tricks that will help us in future.

dont forget that we are rank 3 in terms of tribe OD.

Now, please add any more comments that you feel would enlighten the readers of the World 27 Weekly and that will bring our conversation to a close.

we hope that Coalition make a dent on shadow and than we have a chance to noble there villages one by one .

i have more hopes from our alliance members.

[IRON]-GREAT GOING-JUST CLEAR THE MAXIMUM SHADOW VILLAGES AND NOBLE THEM.

NSTLK*-TIME TO RECAPTURE THE LOST GLORY

LA-G-WORKING HARD TO RESULT WILL COME SOON.

TK-NEED DEEP THINKING ABOUT NEW STRATIGIES

FURY-EXPECTED A LOT WAITING FOR TURNAROUND

DSTLK*- THEY WILL UTILIZE THE TIME AND DO THE NEEDFUL

VS

SHADOW-ATLEAST THEY ARE LOSING SOME VILLAGES -THATS MAKE US HAPPY AND MOTIVATED US.

ATLAST WE ALL ARE ENJOYING THE W27-WHICH IS DULL TILL NOW.[/spoil]

sweeney2kaii8 – [spoil]As the leader of Nstlk*'s academy, how do think Nstlk* and Dstlk* have fared in this war since the rest of the coalition has joined in?

Do you think that things will turn around for Nstlk* and Dstlk* soon?

I'm not too sure, all I can say is its going to be one hell of a war and it looks to last a while. I think we need a good plan to defeat shadow. I think we may of left it too late, nstlk* and dstlk* put together nearly used to be as good as shadow, if we had the "coalition" with us then I think we would have defeated shadow.

In this war, do you think Nstlk* and Dstlk* will be one of the dominating forces of the coalition in this war?

Yes, Nstlk* are very experienced but Dstlk* won't have as much an impact as the other tribes.

Many thanks to both of those players for submitting, and to all those who kindly agreed to be interviewed.
[/spoil]

Nstlk* and Dstlk* were always going to be in dire straits as they had lost a lot of influential members to real life and REF. LA-G were spread out over the map and still had many members who had been so easily brushed aside in the first war. TK was struggling for activity and had really failed to make any progress. FURY was holding out well, but it lacked the size or experience to make a serious dent in Shadow. Only [IRON] were proving a good prospect and were keeping things even with Shadow in th high contested North, but even there it was begin to ebb away.

The first tangible blow to the Coalition came when LA-G were defeated. Shadow had never relinquished its hostile diplomacy against them, but they had been fortunate enough to be allowed to grow in places within Shadow territory, but other membership elements were far, far away. Surrounded and cut off by Shadow, it’s core elements were a mess, falling swiftly to Shadow pressure. Remaining members in the area fled to Nstlk*, while those spread close to other tribes joined them and as LA-G dispersed, it was another chapter finished.

As August was drawing to a close, the disparity between the two sides was becoming more evident; the Coalition was failing in its mission, it had not delivered. The resulting poor morale was taking its toll on the activity of the tribes within it, and in some cases it fell into a vicious spiral because inactivity is one of those infectious things. What about REF in all of this? Well, what about them, despite some very minor skirmishes with Shadow, it had done nothing to arouse interest, it had been inauspiciously quiet and its place in the news began to drift.

Stats from the last week of August:
[spoil]
Zarin said:
Side 1:
Players:

Side 2:
Tribes: Nstlk* Dstlk* TK [IRON] FURY
Players:

Total conquers:

Side 1: 380
Side 2: 268
Difference: 112

image.php

Side 1: 243
Side 2: 18
Difference: 225

image.php

Side 1: 3,409,317
Side 2: 1,710,790
Difference: 1,698,527

image.php

Side 1: 2,167,330
Side 2: 163,151
Difference: 2,004,179

image.php

Side 1:
Players:

Side 2:
Tribes: Nstlk* Dstlk*
Players:

Side 1: 75
Side 2: 1
Difference: 74

image.php

Side 1:
Players:

Side 2:
Tribes: [IRON]
Players:

Side 1: 44
Side 2: 14
Difference: 30

image.php

Side 1:
Players:

Side 2:
Tribes: TK
Players:

Side 1: 80
Difference: 79

image.php

Side 1:
Players:

Side 2:
Tribes: FURY
Players:

Side 1: 44
Side 2: 2
Difference: 42

image.php
[/spoil]

By the end of August, the story was becoming clear: Shadow was well and truly in front. Every time this has happened before, there has been another tribe to fill the space, to pounce upon an ostensibly weak ATTACK/Shadow, but not this time. Despite alleged pleas to other tribes, help to the Coalition was not forthcoming

Stats from the end of August
Top Ten Tribes
1 Shadow 56.751.427 65.318.451 63 1.036.801 6667 9.797
2 REF 14.256.781 14.256.781 14 1.018.342 1449 9.839
3 [IRON] 14.143.685 17.574.411 84 209.219 2085 8.429
4 Nstlk* 11.915.902 13.870.277 71 195.356 1594 8.702
5 TK 10.148.444 10.588.762 66 160.436 1270 8.338
6 *TKP* 7.492.369 7.744.981 49 158.061 957 8.093
7 FURY 4.677.342 4.881.718 57 85.644 626 7.798
8 SAM 3.041.834 3.041.834 25 121.673 446 6.820
9 EX 1.879.579 1.879.579 15 125.305 244 7.703
10 SoD 1.741.317 1.873.178 80 23.415 334 5.608

Top Ten Players
1 theSleepwalker REF 2.671.829 260 10276
2 ftw97 Shadow 2.505.885 255 9827
3 Carthon II Shadow 2.436.307 253 9630
4 gerick6 Shadow 2.350.540 231 10175
5 mikestuntz Shadow 2.332.296 230 10140
6 Zarin Shadow 2.201.493 218 10099
7 BrobFellshank Shadow 2.100.718 209 10051
8 Mande1992 Shadow 2.094.770 214 9789
9 filphillip Shadow 2.065.401 216 9562
10 toby7304 Shadow 1.961.142 198 9905​

Continue for part 3...

DeletedUser

September – Judgement

September was an important month for W27, or rather a conclusive one for once. Any chance of victory was slipping through the fingers of the Coalition. It was time for the judgement of the Coalition, no more excuses or chances, the war was under way and we would see who would prevail, in so many ways the events of this month decided the course of the world and set it upon its final path.

The first major events occurred in the first weeks. TK, who had been suffering heavily due to inactivity problems and lack of cohesion, were broken down to form two new tribes. Previously they had taken in much of Dstlk* and these ex-Dstlk* players in the North West became UNI while the Eastern players became mostly NOS, while some drifted off to form a neutral tribe called Trade.

However, despite this, as each day passed Shadow became more and more dominant. The stats were fast becoming a farce, with even REF subjected to a savage disparity in conquers. With Nstlk* have been driven back heavily in the West, Shadow was beginning to focus on its weakest area in the North and the stats were beginning to tell.

Cometh the hour, cometh, in this case, precisely nothing from the Coalition. It had nothing it seemed, to give, beyond its initial rush. The tribes and their leadership were simply not cut out for the protracted war which they faced. Whilst Shadow had a strong band of committed players, poor morale was working at the cracks in the Coalition tribes and the less experienced members were quick to relinquish hope. No help had come from some tribes, and the prospect of REF grew more dim by the day. Shadow’s final major test had been overcome it seemed.

I think it was in September that the world woke up to its reality…and then turned back over. Excuses could be made for the early weeks, but as the consistent disparity continued, the denouement of the war and the world was becoming clear. Despite all of this, nothing changed, no one new joined the war; Shadow pressed on resolutely while the Coalition pursued an war that they could not win.

Stats from the last week in September
[spoil]
Zarin said:
Side 1:
Players:

Side 2:
Tribes: Nstlk* [IRON] TK NOS UNI FURY
Players:

Total conquers:

Side 1: 296
Side 2: 297
Difference: 1

image.php

Side 1: 152
Side 2: 7
Difference: 145

image.php

Side 1: 2,648,213
Side 2: 1,762,194
Difference: 886,019

image.php

Side 1: 1,354,025
Side 2: 67,087
Difference: 1,286,938

image.php

Nstlk*

Side 1: 17
Side 2: 0
Difference: 17

image.php

[IRON]

Side 1: 58
Side 2: 5
Difference: 53

image.php

TK

Side 1: 6
Difference: 6

image.php

NOS

Side 1: 49
Side 2: 2
Difference: 47

image.php

UNI

Side 1: 5
Difference: 5

image.php

FURY

Side 1: 17
Difference: 17

image.php

It’s been an utterly disappointing effort from the Coalition this week. Managing just 7 conquers, they were severely punished by 152 from Shadow this time and their plight serves to demonstrate the perceived dire straights which they find themselves in. They only narrowly nudged ahead of Shadow in total conquers, which engenders the obvious question of where all of these conquers are coming from. One must guess that barbs and internals are the answer there, because it isn’t Shadow.

Even Coalition mascot [IRON] has failed completely this week to replicate their recent successes. One does wonder what the story would be like if they could maintain these assaults against Shadow. This week, however, they have been utterly dominated. 58 conquers from Shadow is impressive, considering their usual record against them, though we must remember that many of these will have come from LordKhal who seems absent from our midst. His demise can only strengthen what was supposed as the weakest area of Shadow and it seems that the opportunity for [IRON] in that area has almost completely waned. Regardless of the providence of their losses, 5 against Shadow is truly disappointing; perhaps the absence of any more Lord of Bones villages is hurting these numbers. Whatever the case, from the supposed strongest member of the Coalition, this is shocking indeed.

The only other tribe to get conquers, NOS, can hardly boast anything better. An alarming deficit there too and it seems that this TK reshuffle has failed to remove the ineptitude there. With the loss of a couple larger of players to REF, things may not be quite so peachy in the NOS camp. TK themselves escaped quite such a beating due to their lack of villages, but could offer nothing in return to Shadow, so nothing to celebrate there.

UNI and Nstlk* boast no conquers against Shadow and have simply haemorrhaged villages to Shadow without any presumed resistance. I suppose their relatively small losses are the only favourable aspect. It is a shocking tale indeed. And FURY, well what can I say? You’ve let me down this week by not actually conquering any Shadow villages, it’s a real shame.

Positives for the Coalition: it could actually be worse, that’s all. Neatives: morale seems atrocious and they have probably made more conquers against each other than they have against Shadow

As for Shadow, it’s been an excellent week. A telling superiority in the stats this week will surely have done much to assuage any concerns during recent weeks that the Coalition might be fighting back. All they have to do is keep it up and keep the tribe together and this world is theirs.
[/spoil]

The Coalition had been weighed in September and the events had found them wanting, the stats prove that. Certainly I would posit that it became clear in September just how wide the chasm was between the tribes was. I said it was a defining month, and it was for precisely this reason, a requiem for resistance. As September fell away, there was no relenting from Shadow, no mercy it seemed and by the end, the world was looking like a foregone conclusion.

Last call for September stats
Top Ten Tribes
1 Shadow 65.840.490 72.661.053 58 1.252.777 7380 9.846
2 [IRON] 16.983.848 21.279.388 79 269.359 2457 8.661
3 REF 13.174.967 13.174.967 16 823.435 1352 9.745
4 *TKP* 9.045.164 9.104.650 43 211.736 1104 8.247
5 Nstlk* 8.522.954 8.597.001 49 175.449 992 8.666
6 NOS 6.317.785 6.406.931 50 128.139 787 8.141
7 SAM 4.697.463 4.697.463 30 156.582 660 7.117
8 FURY 3.751.987 3.751.987 40 93.800 474 7.916
9 UNI 2.989.082 2.989.082 22 135.867 395 7.567
10 Trade 2.589.342 2.589.342 13 199.180 309 8.380

Top Ten Players
1 gerick6 Shadow 2.894.993 285 10158
2 ftw97 Shadow 2.863.648 292 9807
3 Carthon II Shadow 2.828.915 296 9557
4 mikestuntz Shadow 2.695.893 264 10212
5 theSleepwalker REF 2.613.593 261 10014
6 Zarin Shadow 2.594.460 255 10174
7 BrobFellshank Shadow 2.572.807 254 10129
8 Mande1992 Shadow 2.459.962 251 9801
9 toby7304 Shadow 2.415.095 245 9858
10 filphillip Shadow 2.294.410 235 9763

October – The Illusion of Hope

October, October, was it a chance to change the game? Or were things simply too far gone now to be helped? They tried, and that’s the important thing I suppose as the first event of October was the REF/[IRON] merge. It made sense, to combine these two northern entities into one and the resulting tribe was one of a considerable size.

REF had been a chronic disappointment unfortunately, and like YGI? and PM before them they had failed to live up to expectations when it came to the crunch. On the plus, it was surely a good move, REF had been too cautious, or apathetic to make an impact and it was hoped by [IRON] that under new leadership, the North would be heavily strengthened and united more or less under one banner to bring about destruction to Shadow. REF was brave enough to try something new, but it didn’t come to fruition for them, but if the Coalition had succeeded, who knows what might have happened?

With a perceived positive on one side, there came a negative as UNI abandoned the Coalition and being the first tribe to do so, it was quite an event. How much impact had they had? Well not a lot, they were too far away, but it did send a message that the Coalition was not working.

Despite these manoeuvres, the course of the world seemed set for Shadow to prevail. The stats conveyed what they always did, and there were no sign of any changes, not matter under which name each tribe fought. In fact, in one week in the middle of October, the Coalition made no conquers at all. September had crushed the fight in the Coalition and in October, despite brief sparks, the Coalition was being dismantled.

For the final week, I’ll let the stats and my contemporary commentary tell the story:
[spoil]
Zarin said:
Side 1:
Players:

Side 2:
Tribes: [IRON] NOS Nstlk* TK FURY
Players:

Total conquers:

Side 1: 326
Side 2: 243
Difference: 83

image.php

Side 1: 139
Side 2: 8
Difference: 131

image.php

Side 1: 2,799,353
Side 2: 1,577,692
Difference: 1,221,661

image.php

Side 1: 1,282,921
Side 2: 64,966
Difference: 1,217,955

image.php

Nstlk*

Side 1: 0
Difference: 0

image.php

[IRON]

Side 1: 78
Side 2: 7
Difference: 71

image.php

TK

Side 1: 2
Difference: 2

image.php

NOS

Side 1: 13
Difference: 12

image.php

FURY

Side 1: 45
Difference: 45

image.php

As I said above, it really was only going to get better for the Coalition after last week’s debacle. Of course 139-8 is nothing to be proud of, but it does at least show an improvement from last time. If you had to ask me why this has happened, I couldn’t tell you; it’s no doubt testament to an extra village or two being nobled back from Shadow rather than any concrete gains. Not only that, but you have to consider that the Coalition has put a significantly better number for their total conquers which is no bad thing to my mind. Al in all, it points to a slight improvement from the Coalition.

Unfortunately it’s one of those bittersweet moments where improvement still leaves you trailing hopelessly in the wake of your opponents. Admittedly, the Coalition was slightly better this week, but this week, like any other, they are buried under the weight of Shadow. And whilst they sit around internally nobling, Shadow pushes forward. Do I see any hope based on this? No; with stats like these there can still only be a single denouement and that is a Shadow victory. A lot of you might tell me that it isn’t over until it’s over, and this is quite true. However, it seems to me that the time for any ace in the hole has long since passed. And if 6 months down the line, the world has been turned upside down, at least I’ll have something to write about.

If we go through the usual suspects, it’s a lamentable state of affairs. Nstlk* we can ignore because they are mere remnants of a once worthy tribe. If I asked you to tell me where there members are on a map, you probably couldn’t do it and that is an indictment of how far they have fallen.

If we look to [IRON], we are yet again confronted with a clear picture of who is in control of that war. A small number of [IRON] conquers does not hint at any initiative or offensive action from that side whilst the storm of conquers against them demonstrates an alarming fall from grace for [IRON]. Where once things might have been equal between these two entities, now [IRON] has cracked and Shadow has capitalised.

NOS has had a better week this time around, a deficit of 12 is reasonable for this conflict. I suppose we can either put this down to stalwart defence or a change of focus for Shadow and I think I know where my money would be going for that one. The collapse of its membership has left it a ‘Shadow’ of what it once was. Their progenitor, TK, suffered grievously this week. It might have lost only 2 villages, but that was 2/3 of its total villages. Just one more to go and it will be another nail in the Coalition coffin.

Finally, we come to FURY who seem to have done the worst of any of the members this week. At least [IRON] had something to show for their losses, but FURY was unable to get anything at all from Shadow. If you are wondering why that is, I would promote apathy and inactivity as he causes of that; although FURY showed promise, it has been relegated to a collection of inactive players, let down by their allies and left to perish.

Shadow for its part has been a little quieter on the war front this week. Despite an increase in the number of total conquers, conquers against the Coalition are down. Does it represent anything significant? Of course not, some operations are no doubt drawing to a close, whilst others begin. Shadow have been efficient and ruthless as always this week and that doesn’t look set to change much.
[/spoil]

What other news is there besides this? Not much really, the other tribes were content to avoid Shadow’s affairs for the moment; the top tens may look slightly different. Of particular note is FOME who are the new SAM and the fact that October was the first month to see Shadow take over the entirety of the top ten players.

Stats for final week of October
Top Ten Tribes
1 Shadow 77.988.910 85.325.607 57 1.496.940 8702 9.805
2 [IRON] 28.512.155 37.070.521 82 452.080 4008 9.249
3 *TKP* 10.027.745 10.027.745 36 278.548 1172 8.556
4 FOME 4.811.477 4.811.477 19 253.236 657 7.323
5 GR*FM 4.528.188 4.528.188 20 226.409 551 8.218
6 UNI 4.195.464 4.195.464 19 220.814 521 8.053
7 WT3 3.897.869 3.930.822 49 80.221 528 7.445
8 NOS 2.937.816 2.943.650 43 68.457 403 7.304
9 Trade 2.679.304 2.679.304 9 297.700 348 7.699
10 FURY 1.908.466 1.908.466 33 57.832 261 7.312

Top Ten Players
1 gerick6 Shadow 3.480.481 341 10207
2 Zarin Shadow 3.204.214 314 10205
3 Carthon II Shadow 3.188.254 331 9632
4 ftw97 Shadow 3.164.417 322 9827
5 mikestuntz Shadow 3.072.026 301 10206
6 BrobFellshank Shadow 3.048.149 294 10368
7 toby7304 Shadow 3.023.319 301 10044
8 Mande1992 Shadow 3.013.603 305 9881
9 sstarkey Shadow 2.775.627 281 9878
10 Deciphered Shadow 2.727.741 275 9919

November – The End of the Beginning and the Beginning of the End

Here we are folks, coming right up to the present day. But there are events yet to tell. As November began, we witnessed a momentous event for W27 with the formation of a new northern tribe, marking the de facto end of the Coalition. I talk of course about LIGHT.

Unfortunately, they neglected to post anything to mark the occasion, so we’ll have to just talk from memory. And I think the main question is why. Well, [IRON] was crumbling, awash with inactivity and apathy and lacking clear direction and LIGHT was an effort to change all of that. Together with UNI, [IRON] formed LIGHT as a massive northern tribe, a supposed bulwark against Shadow.

Well that takes us almost to the present day give or take; I am reserving judgement on LIGHT as we have not seen enough to make it into this piece. I shall finish by posting some stats from today and some maps (coming this evening).

Top Ten Tribes
1 Shadow 82.628.304 90.446.088 59 1.532.985 9329 9.695
2 LIGHT 29.960.294 37.235.952 77 483.584 3990 9.332
3 *TKP* 10.985.425 10.985.425 37 296.903 1265 8.684
4 FOME 6.339.871 6.339.871 21 301.899 803 7.895
5 GR*FM 5.494.827 5.494.827 21 261.658 659 8.338
6 WT3 4.445.734 4.499.690 49 91.830 613 7.340
7 Trade 3.480.131 3.480.131 10 348.013 435 8.000
8 NOS 2.857.873 2.857.873 35 81.654 365 7.830
9 Dawn 2.116.935 2.294.444 76 30.190 439 5.227
10 [IRON] 1.483.446 1.483.446 9 164.827 162 9.157

Top Ten Players
1 gerick6 Shadow 3.609.903 354 10197
2 ftw97 Shadow 3.378.897 343 9851
3 Zarin Shadow 3.370.638 330 10214
4 mikestuntz Shadow 3.367.092 336 10021
5 Mande1992 Shadow 3.280.228 331 9910
6 toby7304 Shadow 3.256.129 328 9927
7 Carthon II Shadow 3.235.238 336 9629
8 BrobFellshank Shadow 3.157.769 304 10387
9 filphillip Shadow 3.041.843 328 9274
10 sstarkey Shadow 2.998.300 308 9735​

So where will things go from here? I think for once, that’s your choice, but I know I’ll be here to write about it. I hope you enjoyed this piece, I shall be editing it, maybe switching it around and editing it over the coming week, but that will probably have to wait a little. Further info and submissions are welcome and if I have missed things, or made mistakes those are mine and I should like to rectify them.

A final map of how things stand just after the anniversary. Map courtesy of stampcoin.
TWMapTribes.png

DeletedUser

Ok, that's the lot done for the moment folks, I am wondering if the mods could put all of my posts together (don't know if you can do that). Also, editing is mostly done on part 2 so that gives you an idea of how it should look when nicely laid out, but the spoilers and centering and all the rest is very, very fiddly, so will do that when I have more free time.

Hope you folks enjoyed it, this is by no means finished, but should give you an idea!

DeletedUser

Good God! That's the most comprehensive history of world I've seen. Awesome work!

w27 was and still is unique. I'm immensely glad I had a chance to have my own little part in shaping it.

Happy anniversary, world!

DeletedUser

A little late, rewrite ;)

I remember the Reign of Terror Laughs imposed by Dracaena. :icon_cry:

Maccano1

Great work Zarin, good to see your still plying your trade.

I still don't know how you have the free time to do all that lol.

DeletedUser

Well the bottom line is that I don't but somehow I manage to find the time; glad people are enjoying it and nice to see you back macca.

I'd like to thank all of those who I quoted in the Weekly, in particular stampcoin who provided so many excellent maps and sweeney who helped out behind the scenes. And of course, a thank you to everyone who has made the W27 community what it is, it's always a pleasure.

DeletedUser

I wanna interview a few people so I can just get the Drac part under wraps. Please contact me via skype if you're interested :)

DeletedUser

lol, i think im the last of the group which basicly held off the whole Shadow group in K65 It was me and about 3-5 other players, and we just held off the whole shadow for about 2 months :) rawr and we had no support from the main Nstlk tribe in the north :p we just pwned

nasme

Great work Zarin, I don't even want to ask how long it took to make, but it took me almost an hour to read, PART 1!
Great work,
oh and on skype could you tell me to make those type of maps?