W10 POKE Discussion

DeletedUser

Woah this isn't a thread to highllight your excellent and most highly'poke' tribe in W10. Its a pre-mades section not an ego section for people to post shit everywhere.

If you want to join or need any information, message or post and say so. If not. Don't click

Firstly its a massive vested interest in this tribe for you. Seen as how you are in it that makes your position as a moderator biased on the subject of it. For that reason I would strongly suggest against suggesting what can and cannot be posted in this topic. Heaven forbid the moderators are biased in anyway. Oh and don't swear.....its rude.

I'll put this as plain and simple as I can:
Yes, POKE is no longer an active tribe on the tribalwars server. Show me how many tribes are over 4 and a half years old? The fact POKE is no longer active does not in anyway invalidate our point that this tribe is unoriginal. POKE in itself was an incredibly original concept, we moved ourselves away from the standard concept of what every single other tribe was doing. Heck we still have a whole tactic and world start plan named after us (The POKE circle).
We produced probably the greatest single grouping of players that TW had ever seen at that time and arguably that has ever graced TW, combined with ambition and innovation we produced something which has grown to an almost legendary status over time.
That is why we are protective of our name and our concept. I dont want some 3 man band of halfwits showing up and making a shameful, pitiful, disgrace of a display ruining the memory of POKE.

I think its a testament to the quality of POKE that even now almost 5 years after its creation theres still a group of 40 or so people who still talk regularly and the friendships that tribe produced outweigh anything i have ever seen another tribe do.

mattcurr

arguably that has ever graced TW

Slow down speed racer, poke theory was an ungoddly horrid plan that was doomed from its start due to the horrendous strategy it utilizes. And greatest group of players ever to grace tw together?:lol: Not even if you were to compare with the assumption that general skill levels change over time.

With that said I agree with the rest of it its rather unoriginal and boring.

DeletedUser

Slow down speed racer, poke theory was an ungoddly horrid plan that was doomed from its start due to the horrendous strategy it utilizes. And greatest group of players ever to grace tw together?:lol: Not even if you were to compare with the assumption that general skill levels change over time.

With that said I agree with the rest of it its rather unoriginal and boring.

Break it down to the way the game was played back then.
So pick 40 members from any other tribe, strip them of pretty much all scripts(yes even the basic ones). Remove their co-players(on a speed 2 world dont forget) and regress them 4 and a half years of TW's learning curve....lets see who can compete.

mattcurr

So pick 40 members from any other tribe, strip them of pretty much all scripts(yes even the basic ones). Remove their co-players(on a speed 2 world dont forget) and regress them 4 and a half years of TW's learning curve....lets see who can compete.

Die., MCD, CTRL...

I mean you guys didnt last too long in your original form DIE. and CTRL were the more dominate tribes in that world itself.

DeletedUser

If you look at the maps for the world, hightower posted a nobling map about two weeks after nobling started. There was a scattering of villages around the core for the various tribes, and a solid ring of conquers the whole way around the core where POKE was. Over half the tribe beat the rest of the world to two villages. In all honesty, it's one tribe I know for a fact was beaten by inactivity and boredom, and nothing else.

That said, this is not a thread about w10 POKE, it's a premade thread for another tribe. back on topic, maybe? :p

mattcurr

If you look at the maps for the world, hightower posted a nobling map about two weeks after nobling started. There was a scattering of villages around the core for the various tribes, and a solid ring of conquers the whole way around the core where POKE was. Over half the tribe beat the rest of the world to two villages. In all honesty, it's one tribe I know for a fact was beaten by inactivity and boredom, and nothing else.

That said, this is not a thread about w10 POKE, it's a premade thread for another tribe. back on topic, maybe? :p

Its rather hysterical how poor the average human memory is. Link A 6k point lead over the second tribe at 100k points and you expect me to believe that Poke was dominating the rankings:icon_rolleyes:.

DeletedUser

That's 8k. :p
/hides from Daria's wrath.

Err... Pokémon. They're awesome. :)

DeletedUser

look i don't no nothing about the tribe ye the tag might have been poke but

my tribe name and the tag are completely different so why is it bothering you so much

DeletedUser

Many tribes come to mind. Although, not to take away anything from POKE. I'm sure you guys had great fun.

DeletedUser3452

look i don't no nothing about the tribe ye the tag might have been poke but

my tribe name and the tag are completely different so why is it bothering you so much

The issue is with the concept; the theme. When one thinks of POKE as a tribe one thinks of pokemon which is so heavily embedded in the tribe image. When you start using a pokemon theme for a tribe the image that will come to mind in a not insignificant number of players' heads will be of POKE. Instead of originality and carving your own name for yourselves, you'll be cashing in on the reputation of POKE through association and indeed have an effect on it yourselves.

When the original tribe had changed to such an extent it was not true to its original form anymore the name was changed to COKE and the pokemon association scrapped. A tribe having its own blank sheet of a reputation is such a good starting point to go for when starting something completely new. Unoriginality merely causes grief on several sides.

DeletedUser

Die., MCD, CTRL...

I mean you guys didnt last too long in your original form DIE. and CTRL were the more dominate tribes in that world itself.
I'd agree with Matt regarding MCD. 40 core players not using scripts and they weren't co-played accounts. They held off the world for ages. They were finally worn down, but they have my total respect for what they did in W11.

Personally, I'd like to have a group from the original DNY gang from W12. We didn't have scripts and not a single account was co-played. How many times does a new world open up and once a group of DNY players are identified, they are scrutinsed in the externals. I rarely see other tribes get any where near that much attention.

Examples:
W41 - OCD. The tribe DSQD went as far as declaring on all players from W12 that were in W41, they considered it to be a DNY conspiracy... lol...!!
W50 - DIY/HUG
W51 - Axte
W53 - RIM!

It is interesting that wherever the DNY players go the TW community focuses on them in the respective externals. So with that said, give me my core group of DNY players and I'd be a happy man.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashmodai

To provide an opposing opinion:

Die.: An excellent team tribe, who worked very well and were blessed with an exceptionally influential leader. Brilliant tribe I'll grant you, but compare them to POKE on individual ability and they'll come up far, far short.

MCD: Didn't they take a godawful long time to get rid of n00bs?

As for POKE, they tried out a strategy that had no prior testing, no precedent whatsoever, and left their players exceptionally vulnerable to continent based opposition (hindsight's a wonderful thing). That said, it was also entirely original, and ensured that they gained more coverage on the forums than any of the other notable tribes on W10 at the time. They also left a lasting impression on the game, which, if it has been forgotten, is a travesty indeed.

That all is however almost irrelevant, the original comparison made was on individual player ability, something which Poke can happily boast to having had the best line-up in the game up until that point, and most likely ever since it also (despite the difficulties with comparison). Within 3 days of the server start, they had claimed rank 1. With a days less play, and with the formidable competition of Die., CTRL, MuFFiN and their ilk.

To Jedi Stitch: POKE was entirely themed around Pokemon, your tribe is entirely themed around Pokemon, if you can't see how thats similar, I despair for you. Minor asthetic changes mean very little by comparison.

Disclaimer: I was in no way linked to POKE, I was not in the tribe, at one point I even attacked members of theirs. Suggestions of bias can therefore be thrown out.

As a final point, I would speculate that us voicing our concerns about this new premade is entirely on-topic for that thread. Sure comparison of POKE with other old premades is off-topic, but us suggesting flaws with this new tribe, well what else is that thread for? Sure I know sign-up etc is what is expected, but if opposing viewpoints aren't allowed, well, why have free debate on forums at all?

DeletedUser

As a final point, I would speculate that us voicing our concerns about this new premade is entirely on-topic for that thread. Sure comparison of POKE with other old premades is off-topic, but us suggesting flaws with this new tribe, well what else is that thread for? Sure I know sign-up etc is what is expected, but if opposing viewpoints aren't allowed, well, why have free debate on forums at all?

I agree. That is why all the posts had initially remained in that thread when I gave my first warning. If people had left it there, the comments would have remained. But no. Everyone chose to completely ignore my warning and go on to debate W10 POKE accomplishments which had nothing to do with the other thread. Therefore I moved the entire discussion here, including the posts that started it. I could have deleted the entire thing, leaving only the posts in the beginning which pointed out the possible unoriginality, but I didn't. I also took the effort to link to the original thread in the initial post so everyone knew where it came from.

I have done everything I possibly could to make the current situation convenient for all sides involved. Now I would truly appreciate it if my moderating actions were kept out of this discussion. If you have further concerns, please contact me in private or speak to my elder.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Can I just point this out:
POKE is a tribe from W10.
CATCH is a different tribe, with only the same theme as POKE. Doesn't appear to have any of the same memberbase, as far as I can tell.

So, as you have no rights to the theme of the tribe (Pokemon is actually copyrighted by a company, so if you argue about stealing an idea, you people in POKE have no leg to stand on), then you have not got any reason to complain.

I'm finding this a rather pointless thread :icon_neutral:

DeletedUser

Remember the competition would be at the same disadvantage.

DeletedUser

I would really appreciate it if people don't re-use the name or tag of hugely-famous, respected tribes without having permission of the main tribe owners. Not doing is not so polite toward the original tribe, it's members, and even other players who might remember and respect the original tribe. Now sometimes a new guy might not know the tag or name he wants was already used by another famous tribe earlier. In that case it would be nice if they accept it and change their tag/name when they are notified by other players.

One example is FEAR (W8) which was going to be used by another premade a while ago. Though for that case, the new tribe's founder was a nice person and accepted our respectful request not to use the FEAR tag. Kudos to her.

And about POKE... POKE was a famous respected tribe from W10 which is also important and unique in one other way too; POKE is somehow like a symbol and a prime example for tribes joining all directions on worlds where players can chose your starting direction.
Now I myself never was a part of POKE but I know players who were. And I remember and do like the main tribe. Won't be a happy thing to see it's tag is being used again without permission.
Hmm. The situation is like nobling a village which was claimed first by another player; It is not respectful and will make the original player mad. Other players won't like it too.
emoticon-00122-itwasntme.gif
That's all anyway. Back to RL.

DeletedUser

And about POKE... POKE was a famous respected tribe from W10 which is also important and unique in one other way too; POKE is somehow like a symbol and a prime example for tribes joining all directions on worlds where players can chose your starting direction.
Now I myself never was a part of POKE but I know players who were. And I remember and do like the main tribe. Won't be a happy thing to see it's tag is being used again without permission.
Hmm. The situation is like nobling a village which was claimed first by another player; It is not respectful and will make the original player mad. Other players won't like it too.
emoticon-00122-itwasntme.gif
That's all anyway. Back to RL.

This is not the case lol
POKE isn't being resued at all. CATCH is the tag for this tribe. So that, with respect, was a bit of a useless addition :icon_wink:

DeletedUser

This is not the case lol
POKE isn't being resued at all. CATCH is the tag for this tribe. So that, with respect, was a bit of a useless addition :icon_wink:

Well. I read this:
This is a discussion that broke out on another premade tribe's thread (here). One group of people believed that their name should not be re-used and thus this debate was started. I have cut off these posts from the original thread and moved them here because they were offtopic there. Feel free to continue debating this issue here.

Regards,
FrailBeauty

I am supporting the guys who "believed that their name should not be re-used". If POKE isn't being reused at all, then what is the first post of this topic about?