13 Drawing

DeletedUser

Im doing a page on 13 in my art book and I thought this would look like a nice title ( and take up loads of room on the page ) took my quite a while to draw and thought I'd share it as this forum doesnt see alot of traditional art so a bit of variety cant hurt. Black & White is better imo but I'll let you make your own mind up.
Might scan this in and illustrate it one day if I get bored, but I've got way too much other art work to do before I start messing about with pieces I wont actually use in my sketch book.

Original

13colour.png

Black & White

13bw.png

Regards,
Genetic Engineer

DeletedUser

colored one looks better to me
i also think the standard number one archetype would have been more suitable....no offense but the one looks slightly like a soap bar :p
[spoil]
a6cebfef6875a9f2cebe9bf45a2cd4a3.jpg
[/spoil]

DeletedUser

Hmmm yeh I considered the standard "1" but I was scrolling through fonts on photoshop, saw this and I really like it, plus it gave me more room to draw on.

DeletedUser

I would say the coloured looks better for this. The black and white is ok, but would look better in ink. if its only just greyscale. But as a abstract concept its good, might of looked a bit better with the one being thinner.

DeletedUser

Yeh looking at it now I would agree, could have done with maybe half the width or something really :/ But, too late now :p

DeletedUser63403

As it has been pointed rightly pointed out, 1 doesnt match with 3. Maybe when you convert it to digital (if you do), then you can make it thinner.

Artbook huh? Nice.

DeletedUser

Yes if I make it digital I will try and get the proportions more realistic.

The book is A3 btw, not A4 otherwise the drawing would be tiny.

DeletedUser

When designing typography it is important (for it to look good) to keep the distance/width from one point on one side, to another on the other the same size on all chars... if that makes sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I believe they are roughly the same width, but they need to be proportional is the main thing. Which they are not.

DeletedUser

I meant like thickness, so measure from the left of the 1 to the right of the one, and measure from any point on the 3, then get a ruler, keep it level and find the part on the opposite line that is perfectly level with the initial point. That's what I meant.

DeletedUser

I dont get what you mean ?
Do a diagram in paint or something :p

DeletedUser

Well i did art at school a long time ago.

Try some shading, Atm it just looks flat. Work on pencil tones...softly shade it in and you will get a much smoother look.And maybe instead of drawing 13 Draw Thirteen.
Just let you imagination run wild.

DeletedUser

most people rub the penciling/shading out with a piece of paper or tissue over their fingertip or the hardcore artists use the fingertip itself and don't care that they have charcoal all over themselves

DeletedUser

Thanks guys, I shall try some more shading with the charcoal pencils I have found :)

DeletedUser

In my opinion there is no point really putting any shade into the piece. As its a typography piece, so flat anyway, there is no real area to add shade to it, unless you make the piece 3D.

DeletedUser

I was going to add it onto the machinery within the piece ? Just so the mechanics look more realistic :)