Conquer and Control

Prometheus

In-Game Staff
Tribal Wars Team
Team
Reaction score
Having ODA early game is never good. You should just be outfarming your area and checking ODD changes for new farms (scout first ofc). Which is why I don't understand early game wars.

DeletedUser

Having ODA early game is never good. You should just be outfarming your area and checking ODD changes for new farms (scout first ofc). Which is why I don't understand early game wars.

To be fair on them, It doesn't look like they have declared looking at the war stats.. I also think your wrong with "Having ODA early game is never good".. simply because technically what would we judge tribes on in the early game? can't really say points because its a pay world & point builders. Also having ODA shows you've got troops and tactics that work well with-in the tribe & shows team work..

Would you please explain why you think it's not good? Don't use getting slated in the forum as an example though as it doesn't really count.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser92753

To be fair on them, It doesn't look like they have declared looking at the war stats.. I also think your wrong with "Having ODA early game is never good".. simply because technically what would we judge tribes on in the early game? can't really say points because its a pay world & point builders. Also having ODA shows you've got troops and tactics that work well with-in the tribe & shows team work..

Would you please explain why you think it's not good? Don't use getting slated in the forum as an example though as it doesn't really count.

ODA is not a good measure of anything without context. There is no distinction between effective ODA and ineffective ODA. For example, clearing a player's LC is highly valuable ODA. Losses would be minimal and the enemy would also lose farming capability. However, another player could receive more ODA by trying to clear a turtle. For this example, the turtle in question has high spear/sword, low mines, no LC, and can be considered an inactive. Now the benefits to clearing this player are not nearly as beneficial as the first example, yet there is the potential for higher ODA to be gained, but also larger losses from clearing. There are also circumstances where clearing a turtle yields a highly profitable farm. There is a complex range of situations where attacking is the logical choice. The simple figure represented by ODA does not provide context to the situation.

Therefore, ODA is not "bad" during start-up. Its all about how its received (taken). Since its impractical to know the context of every player's ODA, this is why its not a very good stat to judge an account on. More often than not, ODA is less beneficial for the majority of accounts.

DeletedUser

Well that's me told straight aha!
Thanks for your input :)!

roman01

ODA is not a good measure of anything without context. There is no distinction between effective ODA and ineffective ODA.

Distinction is easily made by observing the players initial growth after the ODA gain over periods of time, bi-hourly. If the player grows considerably faster then you can rightfully assume the ODA was gained through sensible measures.

I would consider high OD scores a bonus, depending on an assessment of their growth adjacent to these ODA spikes on statistics.

DeletedUser92753

Distinction is easily made by observing the players initial growth after the ODA gain over periods of time, bi-hourly. If the player grows considerably faster then you can rightfully assume the ODA was gained through sensible measures.

I would consider high OD scores a bonus, depending on an assessment of their growth adjacent to these ODA spikes on statistics.

Yes, very true. That is the context. Putting in a little extra research will indicate whether or not it correlates to faster growth. While I agree with you, I was asserting that the statistic alone is of little value without additional information.

roman01

Yes, very true. That is the context. Putting in a little extra research will indicate whether or not it correlates to faster growth. While I agree with you, I was asserting that the statistic alone is of little value without additional information.

oh right, absolutely... my apologies there. :icon_biggrin:

DeletedUser93513

TheBigBull said:
what would we judge tribes on in the early game? can't really say points because it's a pay world and point builders

Spread, recruitment, awards, individual members' growths.

idontfight

Still Going Strong
Reaction score
I don't understand what the possible benifits of ODA any more than your points at this stage would be, less troops = less farm. Ofcourse, some clearing of small amounts of troops/spikes, but either way, should be low until noble, and then, low as possible to have as many troops as poss.

Ali

[spoil]Long live the Regime[/spoil]

Prometheus

In-Game Staff
Tribal Wars Team
Team
Reaction score
I will stick to my point. ODA earlygame is never good. Instead of spending your troops clearing your neighbors, why not just outfarm them and and then spend your troops when it actually matters (nobling them). Clearing enemies can cost a lot in terms of troop numbers and will just slow down farming, hence growth. Keep in mind that players can fight back. An active player can call for support or can call militia. They can kill many troops by doing so. Unless you have a neighbor who is literally pure LC, its not worth clearing. (Even then I wouldn't say you should clear them.)

If you spend your LC instead to suck all of the farms near you dry, you'll outgrow your enemies anyway. Also, not clearing does provide better noble targets since your allowing some growth near you.

The Frog

Still Going Strong
Reaction score
I will stick to my point. ODA earlygame is never good. Instead of spending your troops clearing your neighbors, why not just outfarm them and and then spend your troops when it actually matters (nobling them). Clearing enemies can cost a lot in terms of troop numbers and will just slow down farming, hence growth. Keep in mind that players can fight back. An active player can call for support or can call militia. They can kill many troops by doing so. Unless you have a neighbor who is literally pure LC, its not worth clearing. (Even then I wouldn't say you should clear them.)

If you spend your LC instead to suck all of the farms near you dry, you'll outgrow your enemies anyway. Also, not clearing does provide better noble targets since your allowing some growth near you.

unless you grow faster..then you will always have a clear area..till a tribe goes firm and is productive..
better to hit than be hit.
just my twopence

DeletedUser80269

One thing I have always wondered was why would you clear everyone early early in the game to farm them? They won't have high pits, warehouses, etc. I would rather out farm them and let them grow so then when you make them a farm later in the game you are actually able to get something from them. A 117 point farm is normally a pretty crappy farm.

DeletedUser

There are tons of people who constantly brag about their ODAs here lol. They are like 900 points (rofl)

Well I take pride in my high ODA. I clear my enemies in my 20x20, and I have a high ODA to speak for it.

DeletedUser117534

I agree with Javanshir more than with Prometheus. I am using a tactic that is a mixture of both approaches.

The key to success in attacking others early stage is 'using your brain' , therefore mathematical calculation should always be the main factor in deciding whether to attack or not.

Today alone I have scouted a 800+ point player with 15 spear, 200 axes and a paladin in the village, with 9.5k resources stored and pits at 21. Clear cut situation, player has been cleared with axes, rams and catapults to reduce his farm limiting option of calling militia.

I have incurred minimal loses and had a great economic and ODA outcome. If I kept a passive approach I would have never scouted that village loosing a potential income.

Just one example on how following no early ODA approach is not always right

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser84793

ok for you noobs out their ODA Is a good thing to have even in the early game..this shows a player not scared to attack and create more farms better farms which means the player with good ODA will have the advantage. now with good team play that just makes a player with good ODA a better player. im not just going to farm babrs in hope to beat other players to the resources..im just gonna take it from them and stop their ability to farm just that simple....but im sure their will be some noobs here who will still argue on what they think..Having great ODA means your getting something done! it dont matter what stage having good ODA rankings..the sooner the better!:icon_twisted:

DeletedUser93513

Different playing styles, sometimes clearing players is beneficial to you and doesn't cost you much. However, you can definitely be a top ranked player without any ODA at all during early stages. And thats ok. I've played without ODA all the way up to noble stage several times farming 1LC and waiting until I had a train to clear my first target...with a big nuke ready for them. Bigger noble targets too

DeletedUser

I've cleared 3 players with level 20 resources pits in the past two days, and since then I've quadrupled the resources I've farmed daily. While I see what you're saying, I have to agree with the others in saying that with context there can be plenty of times where oda may be a sign that a player is doing well.