Tribal Wars, A Dying Game?

DeletedUser

A lot of the "oldie" TW players are at an interesting age right now. They are in their early to mid 20's, they've left uni, entered the job force, have maybe gotten married or started families. they don't have 18 hours a day to sit in front of their computers right now, as they struggle to find a balance in their personal life. Will they return to TW? Maybe, a couple, few years from now, when they have their lives sorted a bit and they think "hey, remember that game I used to play as a teenager, I wonder if it's still around?"

And they'll come back, because if nothing else, TW rarely lets someone escape for good, and of course they'll bitch and moan about what the game has become while they've been away. "Back in my day, you had to tag attacks by hand and send your own nobles with Opera 12 uphill both ways through 6 feet of snow"

You know why they'll come back? Because of the friendships they found playing this game. The game itself is shit, we all know it is. How many times have you hit a noob with a bonfire? Stupid overpowered weapon anyway. But the fun of it is in the people. The skype chats. The drunken voice chats. And when they come back, they'll be welcomed back by old friends, just like they had never left.

DeletedUser

Yes, TW is a dying game. A look at the average amount of players on new worlds says more than a thousand words.

Imo it all started, when TW increased the premium prices for the first time. Many good players from my tribe left the game because they couldn't or didn't want to afford it. Further changes hit the players even harder because the equal opportunities weren't given anymore. Flags, Build time reduction, Increased resources, Building time reduction etc.

Luckily TW didn't put those features onto the older worlds. I love to remember the good old times on German worlds, where you actually needed skill to survive. Times, when no computer sent the attacks for you and no account manager built your villages. Even after all these really stupid updates I still played this game, but it will never be the same. I'm sad that it ends the way it does currently.

Mr. Cringer Pants

This is a very natural progression of a entity. It's not a surprise and this trend is found in all games. The industry actually has an amazing model on how to address this. Blizzard Entertainment does a superb job at trend analysis and breaking it down quantitatively. There is no one thing that 'kills' a game.

Speaking from someone that has real work experience contributing towards the development of Blizzard games and working with blizzard in a unique fashion I'm going to offer my opinion here.

I think a major reason why TW is "dying, dead, old, whatever" doesn't actually have to do with anything at INNOGAMES. It's just the natural lifecycle that occurs to all games. To give a more direct statement in terms of business:

"The consumer in today's marketplace appeals to a more visually stimulating game. I.e. Clash of Clans"

To break this down even further, facebook is a huge community and games targeting a larger network will have great volume on top of the more visual stimulation in terms of pastel colors and flashy lights, the increase in dopamine response and thus a false sense of immediate 'pleasure'. To go even deeper, TW requires a high level of interpersonal skills, discipline, strategic planning and intelligence unlike the "candy crushes" of the worlds.

Anyway, this is nothing uncommon.

Michael Corleone.

To answer my question, "is tribal wars on the decline for good?" I've determined that yes, it was on the decline for good. But when I started this thread nearly 6 years ago, I did not think TW would be around today, so GG me.

DeletedUser119170

To answer my question, "is tribal wars on the decline for good?" I've determined that yes, it was on the decline for good. But when I started this thread nearly 6 years ago, I did not think TW would be around today, so GG me.
I completely agree. I was going to write a formal, full review summarizing all the issue I see with TW today, but I don't think that I will now.

TW's dying for a number of reasons, including just becoming so automated that it's not interesting. You can use Construction Manager, leave for a day, come back, check, is construction and troop manager still running? Yes? Then don't worry about it. No? Reset it so that it is.
Another huge factor is the P2W aspect. If you want to keep up with those that are in the lead, you either spend money on the game, or sacrifice another worlds performance to give resources to get PP, because the ones on top aren't there neccessarily out of skill, although most of the time they probably are skilled, because I doubt that many new people are coming into this game at this point, but because they've spent PP on the world.
Another issue is church worlds. They are boring, and, if combined with pali weapons, it becomes increasingly hard to justify attacking into someone.
The final big issue I see is pali weapon balance. Specifically bonfire.
86 was the example I can use for this. It had PP, 4800 at level 30 camps, which gave you almost 6k at level 30 with the +30% to all, was a church world, and had pali weapons. This led to the world being incredibly stupid early, wars being drawn out, morale-killing off pushes that you wanted to do. It just wasn't fun. As someone who'd been around since world 9 I was appalled at what I'd come back too.

Michael Corleone.

Ummm I think AM is a great addition to TW and it should've been implemented 7 or so years ago. I think a lot of people had quit TW due to it being very time consuming. Its quite time consuming now, but back before AM, it was unbearable. Its just an old game really, things live and they die. Still the fact that .net has been around for nearly 10 years now is quite a remarkable achievement.

DeletedUser118875

I completely agree. I was going to write a formal, full review summarizing all the issue I see with TW today, but I don't think that I will now.

TW's dying for a number of reasons, including just becoming so automated that it's not interesting. You can use Construction Manager, leave for a day, come back, check, is construction and troop manager still running? Yes? Then don't worry about it. No? Reset it so that it is.
Another huge factor is the P2W aspect. If you want to keep up with those that are in the lead, you either spend money on the game, or sacrifice another worlds performance to give resources to get PP, because the ones on top aren't there neccessarily out of skill, although most of the time they probably are skilled, because I doubt that many new people are coming into this game at this point, but because they've spent PP on the world.
Another issue is church worlds. They are boring, and, if combined with pali weapons, it becomes increasingly hard to justify attacking into someone.
The final big issue I see is pali weapon balance. Specifically bonfire.
86 was the example I can use for this. It had PP, 4800 at level 30 camps, which gave you almost 6k at level 30 with the +30% to all, was a church world, and had pali weapons. This led to the world being incredibly stupid early, wars being drawn out, morale-killing off pushes that you wanted to do. It just wasn't fun. As someone who'd been around since world 9 I was appalled at what I'd come back too.

Ummm I think AM is a great addition to TW and it should've been implemented 7 or so years ago. I think a lot of people had quit TW due to it being very time consuming. Its quite time consuming now, but back before AM, it was unbearable. Its just an old game really, things live and they die. Still the fact that .net has been around for nearly 10 years now is quite a remarkable achievement.

I'm glad someone else realizes that as well. I wasn't around too much before AM was added. (I have played off and on for many years, but never got very far until now.) However, after talking with friends who have played on the older worlds before AM, they have all said the same thing, the game was far too time consuming before things like AM and LA were added. AM might be somewhat P2W because it is very difficult for a non-premium, non-AM using player (a F2P player) to compete at the top ranks when compared to a player that pays to play, but it's impractical to think that every player has 16 hours each day to devote to micro-managing villages. As such, if anything, AM has made it possible for people who cannot devote 100% of their time to the game to compete with other players on a level playing field, and I think that is a good thing.

To address Xxhowisuxx's other comments, nobody says you have to play on every world, and if you're really devoting your time towards doing your best, then I would argue that you shouldn't be competing on every world. As such, what's the big deal if you join a world just to farm and sell resources for PP? It's saving you money by allowing you to purchase premium features on the world(s) that you are really focussed on winning in. And if you do not like the settings of a world, then either do not join that world, or join it only to sell resources. People have differences of opinion when it comes to settings, and Inno usually opens up a forum thread for users to voice their opinions and discuss the settings for new worlds. So if you don't like certain settings, then voice that concern on a discussion thread.

As for Paladin weapons, that is something that has been discussed frequently. I personally have no problem with Paladin weapons, but I will agree that I am now a fan of bonfire. However, when I encounter a player using bonfire to defend their village, if the player has more than one village, I plan an operation to land nobles on all of their villages at the same time (they can only defend one village at a time with bonfire), or if they only have one village, I just skip over them and come back to them when they have more than one village. This is the most common approach I see people take when it comes to bonfire, and it makes sense to take this approach. However, again, if you are so against it and it ruins your gameplay, then just join a world with the Paladin disabled.

TL;DR: the game has lasted longer than most people have expected. Every game has people saying the game is dying when really it is not. There may be aspects of the game that you do not like, but other people do like them. If you are strongly opposed to an aspect of the game, join a world with different settings that you prefer more. The game is not P2W because anyone can get the premium features for free. And overall, the premium features have enriched the game and made it playable for people who do not have as much time, thus very strongly improving the game's quality, in my opinion.

DeletedUser105718

Really shows how much a game has died when a thread started 6 years ago has pretty much constantly stayed in the first page of General.

DeletedUser113454

Really shows how much a game has died when a thread started 6 years ago has pretty much constantly stayed in the first page of General.

It's taking a surprisingly long time to go but it's hard to argue that the game is doing anything other than dying off when you consider the rapidly shrinking user base. Who would have believed when this thread was started that a world over 2 months old (W87) still hasn't expanded beyond the core?

DeletedUser105718

Just because the game is around doesn't really mean it's alive.

Forums are dead.

Most old players left.

All that's left is some casuals that log in a few times a day and a couple of people that apparently have nothing better to do. (though I hear a bunch quit too)

DeletedUser119360

Just because the game is around doesn't really mean it's alive.

Forums are dead.

Most old players left.

I agree with this totally. It's important to reduce the use's of pp's quickly and make it very limited or TW might lose massive players including noobs.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser105718

It's a 10 year old game now.

Most people quit and it's a blackhole that sucks any free time that you have.

Ain't getting fixed no matter what people do.

Metal Duck

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
I agree with this totally. It's important to reduce the use's of pp's quickly and make it very limited or TW might lose massive players including noobs.

This PP stuff is about profit maximisation. It directly damages the integrity of the game, which is why for a while they kept non-p2w settings on odd (I think) numbered worlds, in order to placate the purists. As soon as they went full p2w the good Tw players quit. It now has become a game where success equals how many PPs you're willing to spend. Personally, I find this kind of business model highly amoral, as it encourages excessive spending, via preying on players desires to move up the rankings. It's certainly not a game a person under the age of 18 should be allowed to play anymore, as I can foresee how someone with an addictive personality, could easily (and quickly) run up a large debt using these new features. I think in the end it comes down to business ethics, of which Innogames clearly has none.

THE MURPH ALL CAPS

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
TW rarely lets someone escape for good

Not quite true. If this was correct we wouldn't be seeing the extreme loss in player base that we have today. The smaller worlds are a clear indication that the majority of people can escape the game for good. The percentage of people returning is much smaller than the amount of people staying, sadly.

DeletedUser119360

Not quite true. If this was correct we wouldn't be seeing the extreme loss in player base that we have today. The smaller worlds are a clear indication that the majority of people can escape the game for good. The percentage of people returning is much smaller than the amount of people staying, sadly.

I agree. TW needs a Change. :icon_sad: