Discussion: The Watchtower

DeletedUser121311

Watchtower is a good thing as it is, likely, not takes some of the fun out of the game, we can not criticize TW history, likes received and funny.

Reaction score
I hate them. I find the worlds with watchtowers really dull. They can see too far to make fakes effective. The only method left to take out an experienced player village is brute force, which in early game favours those who spend the most pp.

DeletedUser121311

I hate them. I find the worlds with watchtowers really dull. They can see too far to make fakes effective. The only method left to take out an experienced player village is brute force, which in early game favours those who spend the most pp.

Why so violent, dear mate? Conquering villages systemic and feelings are not needed!

a the great

Reaction score
Watchtowers add an interesting tactic in this game. I like the fact that the TW team is trying to improve and advance gameplay.

Keep up the good work.

There are some pro and cons discussed here...

Pros: easier to defend/tag incomings.

Cons: harder to attack against. Tribemates do not benefit.

Idea #1: have them be very weak against 100 cats no matter the amount of defending troops?

Idea#2: maybe at a certain level, (like level 15), have tribemates recieve coverage?

DeletedUser

Watchtowers make players whose ONLY strategy is to mix single ram fakes and nukes upset. Others have learned to sneak quite large and varied attacks under a green flag.
I would like to see tribe and friend-wide towers but I agree that they should be much easier to cat down. So, perhaps make them take 10 days to build, on a slow world, but only have 5 levels?

DeletedUser120518

I get the idea of Inno with watchtowers, trying to reduce the grinding part of the game such as tagging thousands of attacks and dodging those thousands of attacks which can burn players out.
The watchtower achieves that goal, however it does limit the amount of tactics you can use in your ops, on the other hand, it has also brought some new strategy's with making players think some attacks are fakes while they are actually 999 scout attacks or filled with kats and lc sneaked into a green attack.
Watchtowers also add some more depth to planning ops, trying to plan nukes in a way which doesn't allow the watchtowers to detect nukes heading to the others side of the targets cluster so it's detected over a day before the landing time.

Something i don't like is the watchtower in combination with the fake limit.
The fake limit prohibits sending attacks smaller than 100 pop in a fully built village which means the number of fakes that can be sent is already 10 times smaller.
So here the argument for the watchtower reducing the grinding aspect of defending isn't as viable because people can't send thousands of fakes anymore so in a world with fake limit and watchtowers together it just makes the defending easier and doesn't necessarily cut down on the grinding aspect of the game.
I would like to see worlds in the future have either the fake limit or the Watchtower instead of both.

Idea #1: have them be very weak against 100 cats no matter the amount of defending troops?

Building a watchtower takes millions of resources and more than a week to build, if it can be catted down that easily there is no reason to invest that much time into building a watchtower

Idea#2: maybe at a certain level, (like level 15), have tribemates receive coverage?

Watchtowers are strong as they are already, there's not really a reason to buff them even more.
Giving tribemates coverage with a watchtower also takes away from the need for players to get a decent cluster and set up their frontline well which takes depth out of the game, something most people don't like.

Watchtowers make players whose ONLY strategy is to mix single ram fakes and nukes upset.

Not true, you can't send full kat nukes to the backline anymore without them being stacked as result of the watchtowers for example

DeletedUser121307

Hey guys i have a plan, lets all send 3 nukes on one village, with like 20 minutes apart, and time fakes 50ms apart on another village, they will think we're nuking the wrong village and faking the other.
they will be sending support to the wrong place, meaning it will be easier to take our target.

ohh wait.. watchtower is a thing...

thats fine, i have a plan, they keep sniping the 3 last nobles, so lets just place the noble nuke on the 2nd noble instead

ohh wait, watchtower is a thing...

thats fine, we'll just lower their backline, everyone send 5 fakes and 1 nuke to a random village

i think its an absolutely terrible idea.. it just makes it so much easier to counter a lot of common strategies. same with the 100ms minimum gap between attacks, sniping 100ms is EASY, anyone can do it. if anything, make it 10ms or 20ms, to prevent 2ms trains.
i can understand having to send a certain minimum amount of troops to prevent people from getting over 5000 fakes sent at them, but really, stop making the game so casual friendly.
there should be a gap between good and bad players.

Last edited:

DeletedUser66411

Hey guys i have a plan, lets all send 3 nukes on one village, with like 20 minutes apart, and time fakes 50ms apart on another village, they will think we're nuking the wrong village and faking the other.
they will be sending support to the wrong place, meaning it will be easier to take our target.

ohh wait.. watchtower is a thing...

thats fine, i have a plan, they keep sniping the 3 last nobles, so lets just place the noble nuke on the 2nd noble instead

thats fine, we'll just lower their backline, everyone send 5 fakes and 1 nuke to a random village

Agreed. Watchtower has ruined many more strategies than just faking. If faking "needed" to be removed so bad, which I don't think it did at all, they should have raised the fake limit. Overall WT appears to be a gimmick that adds nothing of value to the game. I also have no clue why this feature has been added to every server since it came out. The church which is a much better and more tactile building was never added to every server after its introduction.

DeletedUser118167

just i say my comment on watchtower,
500 population is not worth it(500 population is too much),bye the way the coverage area is very little

Fleezus Clyde

Forum Personality 2017
Reaction score
I have played tribalwars for many, many years.

Over the years I have endured many horrible changes to the game I loved; Pay to win, weird tech & paladin systems, Churches, a massive upswing in microtransactions and a general decline in the TW teams care for the community or their complaints. :eek:

But the single worst change to be brought into tribalwars was the Watchtower. It has made late game defending a joke & the game unfun for anyone with any semblance of some skill. While I understand you are always stubborn about defending your new features no matter how bad they are - I think you really need to rethink Watchtowers because they not only take the skill & fun out of the game; but they completely change the way the game is played. Currently there is only ONE non watchtower world & it is currently unjoinable and nearing it's end. As far as I know all future worlds will include watchtowers :oops:

What I find hilarious - and is the absolute worst part about Watchtowers; is you created them to give newer players a defensive edge.... but if you don't use them effectively - they are a massive waste of resources & population and more often than not - you'll capture a new players village who has built a level 1-4 watchtower (which is almost completely useless when you have 1 village). So basically you've added a feature that distracts/misleads new players from starting properly while giving anyone with any understanding of the game mechanics a massive advantage in late game defending. Before you ask - no I don't think adjusting the quests to focus on WTs would help nor do I think this aspect of the game helps new players in the slightest.

Personally, I'm tired of you mucking about with the game we know & love. I thought that's why you made Tribalwars 2 (https://en.tribalwars2.com/#/) so you could go try out all these garbage ideas without ruining the game for us; but I guess that's flopped. In a perfect world I'd have you toss Watchtowers right out the game but I am also a realist. I do not think my opinion is the only one on Watchtowers; however I feel it is one shared by many in the community as reflected in this forum. At the bare minimum we deserve Watchtowers to not be a mainstay feature on every world. If you were to operate Watchtowers at the frequency of churches than I feel that the players who enjoy them could still do so; while the rest of us can enjoy the old game we love & you won't have this massive movement of players quitting because they hate a stupid feature you are forcibly imposing on the game.

I'm sorry if this post came across as aggressive but you've ignored our pleas for years & now you casually toss out a discussion post like it's NBD.....:mad:

So listen to what your community is saying & make the right choice. :rolleyes:

Leather and Latex

Still Going Strong
Reaction score
I'm all for changes but don't stick it on every world and force us players that don't enjoy t to play.

World 80 no watchtower is nearly over and I refuse to play a watchtower world.

Please have some worlds without the feature!!

Mike covert will likely give his two cents soon! :)

DeletedUser121307

the only ones who like watchtower are bad players.
please respect good players too.

DeletedUser105766

Played w90 as 1st wt world. Didnt like it at first bit grew to love them. Less faking more fighting makes for more fun.

the only ones who like watchtower are bad players.
please respect good players too.

Please see above... Having played WT with DeAdMax for the first time on W90, I've learned to appreciate WT. I wouldn't call either of us bad players-- him, especially. It's not a fair statement to make about all players who like the WT. The discussion should remain directed to the watchtower and its effectiveness. Generalizations about other players doesn't really help.

Edit: BTW, having sat a number of players, I can attest to the ineffective use of the watchtower. Seems more players used it inefficiently than otherwise in my experience. Good players are those who get the most bang for the resources when you look at comparisons. It's true that as time goes on a good coverage can turn bad, but for the most part watchtowers don't have to be easy to spot, neither be a major drain on the farm capacity for a player if used properly.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser117750

Not a huge fan of watch towers, it adds something different which is okay now and then. It does make defending maybe too easy but then again makes attacking harder which is challenging but one main problem i do have is on w95 there is a fake limit with watch towers which i think is a bad combo, as having a watch tower is to determine the real attacks from the fakes so with not many fakes being thrown about sorta makes it pointless. Just my opinion :)

DeletedUser119554

I think it takes too much time and resources to build it, and too much population.

DeletedUser121307

how can you say it takes too much population? 500 is nothing for the information you get.
pluss price drops a lot, its 90 population to lvl 2.

i mean you can compare it to the church..

DeletedUser80610

@finalbarrage If you level it completely to level 20 (15 fields of view) it'll take a total of 11,607 population - which is crazy!

I haven't been attacked much in either of my worlds, so I don't have any experience with it.

I can see it being useful and as other have said, it makes attacking a bit trickier. Means you've got to think about how much troop population you're sending in an attack instead of just sending it, although I'm sure you can still just spam nukes to get the job done.

Really I think you won't be levelling it up to 20 until later game, as it take's close to 5m resources in total.

It should defiantly be a feature in some worlds but not all, unless you add it to Tribal Hugs.