Discussion: The Traveling Merchant Event

DeletedUser656

During your daily stroll through the market you notice a merchant asking for help. He wants to travel through a dangerous stretch of land filled with raiders and is in dire need of some guards. You offer some of you men and your help is gladly accepted. This journey will surely not be an easy one, but you and your men are well prepared for the dangers ahead! If you defeat the attackers the merchant promises he will leave the raider's treasures to you. They surely piled up quite a fortune by robbing less fortunate merchants along the road. As you wont be able to carry much with you, the merchant, luckily being is a very good locksmith, offers his help in unlocking any chest you will find. You shake hands, gather your men and soon head off into the countryside.

merchant_banner_600_75_px.jpg

Dear players,

welcome to our new event called "The Traveling Merchant". In this event you assist a traveling merchant, protecting him from raiders and robbers lurking along the way.

The event will start on the 28th of November at 15:00 and runs for 4 days, ending on the 2nd of December.

We wish you all a safe journey!

Your Tribal Wars team

Defeating the raiders
During this event you have to defend a merchant by battling incoming groups of raiders with your guards. Your guards always consists of five single units. They are the same in each encounter and have the same offensive and defensive values. The raiders' group is randomly chosen from a pool with a varying amount of units with different offensive and defensive values.

merchant_units_450px.png

Each unit has an offense (icon on the lower left of the unit) and a defense (icon on the lower right of the unit) value which determines the amount of damage they do and how many hits they can take before being knocked out. At the bottom of the screen you can find a bar displaying the order in which the units will attack. A unit is knocked out when the defense value drops to zero. The active unit is displayed by having a bigger icon. To attack a unit, simply click on it. An arrow will show you which unit was attacked and a number will display the damage it took.

merchant_battlefield_450px.jpg

Opening chests
When all the raiders' units are defeated you will be rewarded with a chest. These reward chests can be opened over time (only one at the same time) and will grant you an item. As you are traveling along the merchant your storage is limited, which means you can only have a maximum of three chests with you at any given time. While you can encounter more raiders if you continue to travel, you wont be able to take any more chests with you if you already have three chests.

The chests you can find differ in rarity. This means that the bigger chests contain a more valuable item, but due to them having more sturdy locks, it also takes longer to unlock them. To unlock or open a chest, simply click on it. This will also show you the possible content of that chest. When the event ends you cannot start a new encounter or solve the current one anymore. All chests are removed from the event, including the chests ready to be opened.

merchant_chest_150px.png

saad748

If the journey ends before the end of the event, will a new journey start?

Deleted User - 10770065

^

What that noob said.

Too grindy, too random, too frustrating. Not fun. Don't bring this back unless you're going to balance it. It starts off fair, where you have to use your brain to win then the further you get the more stupid it gets as you get matched up with overpowered units.

DeletedUser117803

I dunno, I find that if I keep attacking the weakest first, I always win?

Maybe I am just born lucky though.

I sort of like it, TBH.

Kiwi2011

How about you don’t cheat in your own game, why should we like a game that the opponents hit top points 80-90% of the time while we hit bottom points at the same percentages what a flop

DeletedUser118341

Is anyone else no longer getting XP for winning battles?

Winning battles towards the end of the journey seems near impossible.

-KillerH-

My progress has stopped at about 700 kilometers. I need 5000 xp to level up, which takes forever given how I don't get xp from wins anymore. Speaking of wins, winning is near impossible, because most of the time the raiders' first hits one-hit kill my first one or two fighters if I don't get to go first.

As some pointed out, winning in the beginning was actually decent because you had to plan out your attacks but towards the end you need up to two rounds to kill the one with the lowest defensive / highest attack points. It gets really boring because the only factor left is luck and when you only win 30% of the time it becomes frustrating.

JawJaw

Awesomest CM Ever
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for your feedback so far!

Please note that the amount of battles you would get XP for is limited to 20 per day. Anything more wouldn't give you any XP (you would be able to battle for chests however)

DeletedUser122435

I kept telling myself I was going to quit bothering around 700 km when the opponents' weakest guys would just begin the battle by one-shotting my only hard hitters, who almost always seem to do their minimum damage anyway. I'm stuck smacking three or four enemies with the peasant who only does 3-4 damage, wishing they would do more damage to him and finally end it.

Kiwi2011

Maybe next time the games will be random with an actual chance to achieve something this is just wolf of n sheeps clothing and so overwhelmingly stacked in the ‘houses’ favour
This is one of the many reasons I won’t pay money for this game another being that the feeling that feedback isn’t answered sufficiently leaving the concerns of being ignored

Mithrae

Maybe next time the games will be random with an actual chance to achieve something this is just wolf of n sheeps clothing and so overwhelmingly stacked in the ‘houses’ favour

I dunno, between the progress rewards and the chests (4-6 per day) you probably get more free items from this event than most others even if you don't make it to 600km, let alone the end, and at least the battles are more engaging than stuff like the noble's fair.

I imagine the point of it is that you need to spend PP instantly opening 20+ chests per day get enough xp to reach the end.

Edit: Although I'm pretty sure it's incorrect that you get xp for 20 battles per day. 10:27 and I'd only used PP on a single chest, so I was on my 4th or 5th fight for the day and didn't get xp. 74 points off the 4000 needed for lvl 10 too :(

Last edited:

DeletedUser112079

Did you actually test this event? And if so is it possible to reach the last chest? With 25 hours left on the event, on world 102 nobody has reached the final chest, which given the amount of pp I know people in my tribe have spent on the event suggests to me that it's actually impossible to reach the final chest.

DeletedUser119858

Stuck on 700 km lvl 12 for who knows how long, game is unwinnable unless u spend tons of pp and get to lvl 20 then maybe... but who knows the robbers will probably get buffed to lvl 100 lol worst event ever.

DeletedUser122435

Stuck on 700 km lvl 12 for who knows how long, game is unwinnable unless u spend tons of pp and get to lvl 20 then maybe... but who knows the robbers will probably get buffed to lvl 100 lol worst event ever.
That's the problem. I wait for the chest. Get my level up, pound my chest, and shout, "This is the day I reach 800 km!" I win a fight, and then proceed to get my ass kicked before I even know what hit me. One step forward and two steps back.

DeletedUser122435

I can't tell you how many times it was down to just that angry looking red-haired chick and my last dude, hanging on by a thread could have delivered victory, only to do the minimum damage. All you had to do was the average! You let us down. You let us all down!

DeletedUser122435

But, yeah. I don't hate this event. I actually kind of enjoy this sort of thing. But damn, why do they get 5 levels for every one I gain? The weakest enemy in a team of five has a chance of doing the same damage as my last two guys who are delivering the damage. The dude receiving the health upgrades doesn't deal any damage. I wish they'd attack him more. But they save him for last, like I would.

I actually don't know why I'm even complaining. It's an interesting distraction. I'm getting free stuff. It's just frustrating, like one of those crane games where they calibrate the machine to not clench the teddy bear even though you had a perfect grip on it. I wanted that teddy bear!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser119858

Its really frustrating!
lvl 13 stuck in the 700km area cant pass 800km.
Robbers are OP gettin 80%-90% Crits.
Robbers big hitters seem to go first most often.
Weakest Hero survives till the end 90% of the time and is useless.
Heros only get crits 5%-10% of the time.
Heros big hitters seem to always be the last to attack.
Heros are weak getting one shotted a lot.
I wish i could see the win to loss ration, probably insanely negative lol.

conclusion, get rid of it or adjust it to be more fair next time you have this event.

Is Satan in charge of Tw events now? asking for a friend.

Last edited:

Barry B Benson

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
Most events are beatable free-to-play and grind-able pay-to-play so the pp-spenders can gain an edge whilst the f2p can at least complete it. But here it's literally unbeatable unless you spend PP to grind chests and level up to even have a chance at beating the higher km battles. Just really unsatisfactory to not be able to complete an even without pouring thousands of PP into it.

I only know one account who got to 1000km and they spent 16k pp to get it.

Can't do more than the previous posters and say that this was a poorly executed event. Maybe a trim in difficulty and it could work, to cater to the majority that don't wanna blow thousands of pp on it.