Do you like this idea?

• Yes

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

twenty-five

Let's be honest, TW events with premium in particular are essentially gambling. You stake PP, and you get typically an unknown ingame reward for that. [Many of them guarantee something, but it's RNG how good that thing is].

Thus I propose, at the very least, either a PP spending limit restriction or a PP buying limit (farmed premium would then be considered differently). Many people are irresponsible with money in the moment, they chase losses in the real world environment and tribalwars is no different. They struggle to keep track of exactly what they are spending. Thus we should have an ability for a person to set a limit to prevent them getting carried away

Alongside this I recommend we have some self help documentation to diagnose if you have a problem, and how to get help with it. Perhaps a more easily display indicator of how much premium you have bought recently (it gets hidden amongst the premium transactions, if I recall correctly)

I understand it is not strictly gambling, by the letter of the law, but it essentially behaves as such and we should strive to aid those who may struggle. People have joked about tribalwars being an addiction for years, and it is, but now with P2W there is an added addict-factor and it means people can risk a lot more.

I genuinely believe innogames owes this responsibility to the players who may struggle with such things, which is hopefully a few, but I can assure you it is not a non-existent problem.

I understand some people will laugh at this suggestion, and I can understand why if you are unaffected you probably can't imagine this situation. But it's a potentially serious problem and I do think the game owes a higher duty of care to minimizing it's potential effects.

Obviously players would have to choose to enable this, but providing them with tools to prevent such issues is a very good start to tribalwars showing a higher level of respect towards it's players, yes it might mean you don't optimize your profit quite so much, but knowing you look after your players more carefully is something I am sure much of this community would respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

JawJaw

Awesomest CM Ever
Reaction score
Hi

Thank you for your suggestion. Two parts of the idea are approved for voting: the ability to set limits to premium spending by the player and a general overview of premium purchases. We will however not be providing self-help documentation.

Once concern I have with the first is: the same person that sets them can just as well remove them, so what would be the point of such a system?

twenty-five

Knowledge that you are hitting a self prescribed limit stops the problem of people getting carried away in the moment, for a start, I thought that was outlined in my post. I now understand why you don't want fully fleshed out ideas, because they are not read by the people commenting on them :/

Just as a side note: I find it strange this is the first suggestion I've seen you offer feedback on.

Can I ask why you can be sure you wouldn't offer people help for addiction? It seems like a poor position to take given we've established the ridiculously low bar for suggestions. Is there a legal issue?

JawJaw

Awesomest CM Ever
Reaction score
This entire subject has been suggested on another market before and lead to a discussion internally that involved our legal department, product management and game developers. At that point it was already decided that the internal events are not gambling in the legal term (as you have stated), and that we will not be providing warnings / documentation ingame. (which is also why I comment on that section specifically and removed it from the idea)

All of the 'risks' that are involved in the in-game events have been covered in the Terms & Conditions, which all accounts have to agree on upon registration.

DeletedUser97716

@JawJaw Are TW's Event rewards all equal percentages or are some more weighted than others?

mch123

I support this as I have seen a number of friends get carried away spending money they needed for RL stuff which was driven by the competitive nature of this game.

Once concern I have with the first is: the same person that sets them can just as well remove them, so what would be the point of such a system?
You set time limits before people can change their preferences again. If you set your limit today, you have to wait 30 days before you can change the limit again. This often prevents people paying money they can't afford and by the time they can change it they will usually had another round of income from their jobs and often have changed their minds/in-game circumstance changed and so lose their impulsiveness to buy PP.

All of the 'risks' that are involved in the in-game events have been covered in the Terms & Conditions, which all accounts have to agree on upon registration.
Raise your hand if you have actually read the terms and conditions...

This is just a passing off of responsibility and another example of the lack of respect and care for your users. We are all just dollar signs and digits in a database and zero changes are made if they negatively affect profits.

@JawJaw Are TW's Event rewards all equal percentages or are some more weighted than others?
I saw in the last event, under the help section, that there was the chance % of getting a common, uncommon, rare, and very rare item. Seemed to be heavily weighted to increase that gambling for important/better items.