Is DS-timer allowed?

• Thread starter Deleted User - 11134637
  • Start date

Deleted User - 11134637

Hi, i know there is a program called DS-timer thats a mini clock that helps you visualize the miliseconds, it doesn't interact with the game in any way, it's just a timer. I wanna know if its legal, and if it is, if anyone has the link to download it. The links in the german forum are down so there is no way to currectly get it from over there. Thanks

DaWolf85

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
As for the download - I am currently developing it further (developments which are approved under t13909451) after a polite conversation with the original developer, niondir, got me access to the source. There is no link currently to download what I've done so far, as it is not quite ready for prime time yet, but there is a download link for the previous (admittedly somewhat broken) version of DS-Timer on the github page. My developments are also open-source, so you could build the dev version yourself from that source, if you were particularly determined.

DaWolf85

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
any updates on this?
Still working on it. I've taken it on as a portfolio project, so I'm trying some things that are more complex than what one would do if they were just trying to finish the project as fast as possible.

Also, it has developed a bug where the timer countdown is off by a second in certain circumstances, which is obviously pretty problematic for this type of program, and the source of that bug is proving surprisingly difficult to pin down.

Deleted User - 10770065

Yeah that bug has screwed me over quite a few times. But this tool is the easiest way for me to time, so if any improvement is made to it then it would be appreciated.

Plus25

Reaction score
Yeah that bug has screwed me over quite a few times. But this tool is the easiest way for me to time, so if any improvement is made to it then it would be appreciated.
nono i appreciate you my moon in the stars of my eyes. i can only imagine the screwing for it has done onto you my kardes.

DJ300

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
dawolf showed me how to get the attack planner etc working again so looking forward to him hopefully fully fixing ds timer :D.

DJ300

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
Yes, you also have other scripts superior to DS timer.

I have tried scripts for timing and tried ds timer, i still personally think ds timer is superior for hitting better times and more consistant to scripts. when its not bugging out.

world8vet

Still Going Strong
Reaction score
I have tried scripts for timing and tried ds timer, i still personally think ds timer is superior for hitting better times and more consistant to scripts. when its not bugging out.

That's because you have not tried other private scripts.

DJ300

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
That's because you have not tried other private scripts.

if its private wouldn't it be illegal ^^ i do remember people being banned in the past for having private scripts and websites that did different things, and it has to be made public to be legal and allowed.

But most of the scripts i've tried are still pretty bad compared to ds timer and i've not seen many people time better than people i know use DS timer over scripts.

world8vet

Still Going Strong
Reaction score
if its private wouldn't it be illegal ^^ i do remember people being banned in the past for having private scripts and websites that did different things, and it has to be made public to be legal and allowed.

But most of the scripts i've tried are still pretty bad compared to ds timer and i've not seen many people time better than people i know use DS timer over scripts.

No if it's private it's because the script maker simply didn't show it off to the public.

A script does not have to be made public to be legal.

Well i know of a script that is quite superior to DS timer, You can calibrate it so it takes into account your lag, it also has some extra qol features. insanely accurate if you are good enough.

Deleted User - 10770065

There's a script that shows the ms in game, but there's something about the ds timer clock that makes it easier/more comfortable for me to use and time and idk why.

nono i appreciate you my moon in the stars of my eyes. i can only imagine the screwing for it has done onto you my kardes.

Where are you? Why did you run from me kardes :(

DJ300

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
No if it's private it's because the script maker simply didn't show it off to the public.

A script does not have to be made public to be legal.

Well i know of a script that is quite superior to DS timer, You can calibrate it so it takes into account your lag, it also has some extra qol features. insanely accurate if you are good enough.

^^ share and let me test this script then if you have it, sharing is caring man.

mazarasha

Reaction score
There's a script that shows the ms in game, but there's something about the ds timer clock that makes it easier/more comfortable for me to use and time and idk why.

Where are you? Why did you run from me kardes :(
Look who it is! How have you been, Shaun? )

Mik

RedAlert

Senior In-Game Staff
Tribal Wars Team
Senior
Team
Script Moderator
Reaction score
Anyone would mind sharing this script with me? Im a script writer and collector too. Always want to see how other people have implemented things, there is always the opportunity to learn something new.

DaWolf85

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
Anyone would mind sharing this script with me? Im a script writer and collector too. Always want to see how other people have implemented things, there is always the opportunity to learn something new.
It is open-source on GitHub.

Also, I think I may have pinned down the cause of the time-sync bug - when you sync the clock with the NTP server (the button under Server Time Deviation), it is actually not using the NTP timestamp at all, but rather just taking your computer's time. This causes significant inaccuracy. For those using the 1.8.0.0 version available on GitHub, I would recommend simply not using this button, as all it currently does is desync the clock, and if spammed it can crash the program.

When I get together an updated public release, this bug should be fixed (though it isn't yet - that'll take me a bit to learn how to do NTP properly).

DJ300

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
It is open-source on GitHub.

Also, I think I may have pinned down the cause of the time-sync bug - when you sync the clock with the NTP server (the button under Server Time Deviation), it is actually not using the NTP timestamp at all, but rather just taking your computer's time. This causes significant inaccuracy. For those using the 1.8.0.0 version available on GitHub, I would recommend simply not using this button, as all it currently does is desync the clock, and if spammed it can crash the program.

When I get together an updated public release, this bug should be fixed (though it isn't yet - that'll take me a bit to learn how to do NTP properly).

Damn i always wondered why that sometimes crashed my DS-timer so its that causing alot of the issues?