Free Compilable IRC Shells

DeletedUser

Yeah, I know, random huh ?

Figured because this is a general forum, and the questions forum isin't really geared towards non-TW type issues, I'd post this here. I know some of the more prominent tribes use IRC .. just wondering if they bit the bullet and went commercial for their shell account, or if they found one that was free and compilable. I've looked, but to no avail.

This is a learning curve for me, so I wanted to make sure I could get it working before I spent $ on it. I want to run an Eggdrop to op the channel.

Suggestions ?

Thanks,

DeletedUser

I couldn't focus on what you asked.

Your signature stole all of my focus....:lol:

DeletedUser

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I believe mIRC is the most common: it's free and effective, if you ask me..

DeletedUser

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, I believe mIRC is the most common: it's free and effective, if you ask me..

No, not mIRC.

Shell account = an account I can compile a bot program on to manage a channel (approx.) 24/7. To keep Ops and the channel active. I'm having some trouble with the browser client I use at work, so I always get disconnected, and the channel shuts down.

IRC makes me a sad panda.

Thanks anyways though,

:icon_surprised:

DeletedUser

hmm. welll, most tribes would use the Quakenet server which supplies bots which you can request for what you mean depending on the size of the channel. As far as I know, there is only one tribe in TW which runs it's own server, and that is DFB of w5. ask tpwch, tell him I sent you and he'll probably be willing to talk :)

DeletedUser

hmm. welll, most tribes would use the Quakenet server which supplies bots which you can request for what you mean depending on the size of the channel. As far as I know, there is only one tribe in TW which runs it's own server, and that is DFB of w5. ask tpwch, tell him I sent you and he'll probably be willing to talk :)

I can do that. Thanks.

Now for a newbie question ..

Can you message cross-server in any way ? He doesn't play W13, and it's the only one I play.

DeletedUser

No you can not. Maybe send him a message via these forums PM.

Matt76827

Can you message cross-server in any way ? He doesn't play W13, and it's the only one I play.

Not that I have ever seen. Make an account on W13 and ask him. Or message him on the forum.

In mirc you can make your own bot. If you werent bothered about the server you use you can try the cyanide one. That uses services and once registered remains yours for 14 days without logging in (approx). And so you dont need a bot to keep people as ops or to keep the channel open.

Im not totaly sure on what you mean so thats the best I can do to help you at the moment.

ekaggen

I run many *I* items on my dedicated server which counts as a shell I guess. I don't run ircd or eggdrops off it regularly because there's simply no need. You can get a free channel off any big irc network such as quakenet without the need to run your own IRC server.

DeletedUser

Okay, thanks for the help guys .. I'll look into mIRC today.

Much appreciated.

:icon_biggrin:

tpwch

I run the ircd for my tribe. There are no usable free shell accounts, there is no point in looking, but if you don't want to pay you can set up your own.

All you need is a broadband connection that is reasonable fast and stable, and a computer to stick in a closet or similar, where no one will touch it. An old computer works fine, mine is run on a P2 233mhz with 128mb ram. If you don't have an old box laying around, ask around, almost certainly several of your relatives or friends have an old box sitting in a garage or something that they want to get rid of.

Install linux on it and set up openssh, and you'll have your shell. Set up the ircd remotely from your other computer You can just leave it in the closet and forget its there. You don't want it in the bedroom unless the fans are really quiet, otherwise its annoying when you sleep.

IRC doesn't use much bandwidth, it won't disturb your normal surfing/downloading/etc, but you don't want it on the cheapest connections, as lag can be annoying in the conversations. I run mine on a 24/1 mbps cable connection.

Once you have a server you can do lots of other fun things with it as well, like hosting your own web server.

If you need help setting it up after getting the requirements just ask, and I can give you some pointers.

Last edited:

halko

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
There are no usable free shell accounts, there is no point in looking,.

Wrong, there are a few free shell's around that will allow a user to run either a bouncer or a bot. Others disallow specific bouncers and/or bots eg psybnc and eggdrop however allow you to use screen to keep open a irc client eg irssi to allow you to stay online constantly.

Minimal space and/or bandwidth is needed to connect to IRC.
If you're looking to keep you're client open all the time all you need to check for is that
a) They allow IRC (Check specifics also ie bots etc)
b) They allow at least 1 background process
c) They have 5MB+ space (depending on you're needs really...shouldn't think you'd need more though)

Also as someone said, you could always use a networks free bots. QuakeNet for example will provide a free bot if you're channel is active to prevent it being hijacked. QuakeNet Bot Info

Last edited:

tpwch

Wrong, there are a few free shell's around that will allow a user to run either a bouncer or a bot.

That may be, but the original poster wanted to run an ircd on it, not a bot or a bouncer or an irc client. ircds take up more resource usage, and has tons of connections to them if there are many users. I doubt there is a free shell that allows ircds.

She could of course use quakenet or similar, and use a free shell for a bot. But thats just not as fun :p

halko

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
That may be, but the original poster wanted to run an ircd on it, not a bot or a bouncer or an irc client. ircds take up more resource usage, and has tons of connections to them if there are many users. I doubt there is a free shell that allows ircds.

She could of course use quakenet or similar, and use a free shell for a bot. But thats just not as fun :p

Wrong, again; she says she wishes to use an eggdrop to keep op within a channel:
"I want to run an Eggdrop to op the channel"

An eggdrop is a bot, not an ircd.
So I was correct. She does want a bot and eggdrop's are avaliable on free shells.

Last edited: