A Eulogy to ATEN

junkmonger

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
So this is how ATEN ends...not with a bang, but with a whimper.

I had thought I had retired from W2 P&P, but the passing of this once mighty family demands a eulogy that it deserves.

This was the family that has stood against all adversity. The family that once saw most of the world arraigned against it. This was the family that always declared that it would stand by its allies regardless of consequence. This was the family that said that it would never forgive an enemy. Sadly, it has now merged into its former enemy. It has gone the route of Xig and STW and formed a new CEG. After all, what can be said of the merger between ATEN and LWS...simple surrender.

After all the battles that we have fought together. Battles against Sortland and Steeveo, Chika and Smug and the others of the South East, now a distant memory and forgotten. The heroes that had fallen: Congo, NeoNMD, Bad_Monkey and the others, their memory is simply trampled on in the name of mere survival. What marvels do I remember of the ATEN of old. How Congo stood against all of WB1066. How ATEN persevered alone against RUM. How ATEN fought against HOT, TW and the rest of the world. Those honors now so much rubbish in bin of history.

It is the old ATEN that I will remember. How appropriate is that tomorrow is Remembrance Day.

DeletedUser90092

congo stood against all of wb1066? please we had like 2 players even remotely located near him.

junkmonger

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Offended by a little bit of hyperbole? Amazing how touchy it can be by living in the reflected glory of the past.

DeletedUser

I don't know about you, but this certainly isn't about survival for most of us. Just a means to an end. That end may be different for each individual, but the means are a common one. :)

And to be quite honest, what made Aten so great 'back then' was the people and the spirit, and right now it's almost like we're finding some new energy and life, so for many of us, it feels like the old days, we are enjoying each others company and playing for each other, not for the sake of playing.

DeletedUser

Goodness, all this makes me realize is that even without playing for well over a year, I can still stay in tune with all of this beautiful nonsense.

ATEN changed the same as all the other tribes, it just didn't change its name. ATEN changed significantly, not completely. TW changed significantly, not completely. HOT changed significantly, not completely. They're not all that different to what they were before. Though names changed, the rest stayed pretty much the same.

On that note, all of the tribes died long ago, and also are still alive today. They all underwent a transformation around the same time and this is really just a small matter. The only thing that's really changing is which side of the map is safe and which isn't, which means we go through the whole "These guys are bad at front-line warfare, oh wait this guy isn't, pow pow pow, bam bam bam, amazing, but everyone else is bad at this" and "I'm bored why did the war move it's so far away: quit, or long-range attacks: quit"

In the mean time, Jirki's looking good with his 5,299 villages.

junkmonger

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Actually, I'd disagree with that. All 3 tribes have changed completely.

HOT (now REB) is no longer the tribe that abandons its allies and joins the other side. We've been in this war now for over 2 years and counting.

TW (now LWS), I may be wrong, but I don't think has any of its originals left. Mostly, they are a mix of RUM, Xig and some TS and WB. Now RUM was ATEN's oldest enemy that they vowed to chase down to the last man. The Xig component is only a shadow of itself. TS (mostly Ratius) still makes a very good showing. And WB...without Hamartia is just a rudderless boat.

ATEN...well, it's now doing what it vowed it would never do. Do you know they didn't even have the common decency to send us a note that they were changing sides. Guess their former leadership was too inactive to bother.

So, I'm unclear about what part still remains from the old days.

junkmonger

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but this certainly isn't about survival for most of us. Just a means to an end. That end may be different for each individual, but the means are a common one. :)

And to be quite honest, what made Aten so great 'back then' was the people and the spirit, and right now it's almost like we're finding some new energy and life, so for many of us, it feels like the old days, we are enjoying each others company and playing for each other, not for the sake of playing.

And that end would be? Perhaps a return to active play or simply more players to feed off of your villages so you can delete your account more quickly?

deomonkid18

I have not played this game near as long as some people, yet I long for the End Phase where the world closes to an end and I can move on and not have to worry about waking up at certain times to check my account.

DeletedUser

Actually, I'd disagree with that. All 3 tribes have changed completely.

HOT (now REB) is no longer the tribe that abandons its allies and joins the other side. We've been in this war now for over 2 years and counting.

TW (now LWS), I may be wrong, but I don't think has any of its originals left. Mostly, they are a mix of RUM, Xig and some TS and WB. Now RUM was ATEN's oldest enemy that they vowed to chase down to the last man. The Xig component is only a shadow of itself. TS (mostly Ratius) still makes a very good showing. And WB...without Hamartia is just a rudderless boat.

ATEN...well, it's now doing what it vowed it would never do. Do you know they didn't even have the common decency to send us a note that they were changing sides. Guess their former leadership was too inactive to bother.

So, I'm unclear about what part still remains from the old days.

No, don't get me wrong, I'm not referring to waaaayyy back when, but more like referring to that period when it was TW-HOT vs ATEN and ATEN-HOT vs TW. If you go too far back, anything we say gets blurred to extremity.

Jirki88

Administrator
Tribal Wars Team
Community Management
Reaction score
Yeah, because REB haven't given Aten the slightest reason for dislike, have they? I mean, taking Ysiek in was no big deal, was it?

We can notice that REB is a combo of Saints and HOT... They seem to think they're Saints but in reality they act like HOT. And saying the ex-HOT have changed... Ha.

Ururjay

The question that i have made to myself is: All this really matters?
Of course that we make friends/enemies in TW, but at the end this is a WAR game, it isn't matter what happened in the past, just fight you present enemies, that's all...
@junkmonger if Aten is what you say, why brothering about then?:icon_rolleyes:...if they are as cowards as you said, why brothering if they are your enemies?
I think this post have no argument at all, at the end only one tribe will win this, in a war no matter what you do to win, all the ways are allow, so fight and stop to do nonsenseless propaganda :icon_wink:

TheHans

Master Commander 2016
Reaction score
Aten have been a thorne in my spine for too long. Someone please end them :)

walleye

Yeah, because REB haven't given Aten the slightest reason for dislike, have they? I mean, taking Ysiek in was no big deal, was it?

We can notice that REB is a combo of Saints and HOT... They seem to think they're Saints but in reality they act like HOT. And saying the ex-HOT have changed... Ha.

it was no big deal. or at least it shouldnt have been, aten seem to have gone to war over one player who they deemed to be a runner, and then, a few days before aten turned on REB, who invited ysiek back into their tribe? wow they must really hate that guy

walleye

The question that i have made to myself is: All this really matters?
Of course that we make friends/enemies in TW, but at the end this is a WAR game, it isn't matter what happened in the past, just fight you present enemies, that's all...
they switched sides, they already had a war, thus fulfilling the implications of the title