A potted history of Domino Part 4 - Cheesy

DeletedUser

This is a difficult topic to write about; I thought long and hard about what to say and how to say it. I’ve decided to tell the story just from my own personal point of view, and not include stuff that I can only guess at, or assume. It was the most difficult period in Domino’s history, and I was fairly integral to how it all developed.

As I mentioned in my previous post (Part 3), the war with NUTO was several months old, and we were being edged out. Not by enough to cause real concern, or entertain thoughts of losing, but there was a feeling that we were on the backfoot, and weren’t fighting at full capacity. Things had gone a little stale, and NUTO were taking advantage. Two of our Dukes were broadly AWOL – Tracey (Queen Aphrodite) was busy on W50, ISE was off developing a life and a career away from Tribal Wars (apparently people do that?), leaving Chrsswmr as the sole active Duke. He was leading through a very difficult time for us, and basically busting a gut to make sure the war didn’t get the stage where our losses accelerated. We were doing well in some areas, but losing in others, and NUTO were out-capping us. I personally had some genuine concerns that we might actually lose this one.

A couple of Domino players – Prussia Empire and Ewanm1 – approached me about an idea to create a new tribe, with what they saw as the best players from Domino, with the intent of resetting diplomacy and extricating us from the current war we were in. After much discussion, I agreed. It was the worst decision I have ever made in TW, and something I am still trying to make up for, two years after the event. I’ve always been viewed as one of the key Domino members, having been with the core group right from the start with never a break, and Prussia and Ewan reasoned that with me on-board the new Tribe would be likely to work, and that many of the players would follow me over. That is indeed what happened. In my arrogance, I thought that I could do a better job than Chrsswmr; it was only after the event that I realised how wrong I was, and having been Duke of Domino for some time now, I understand just what a great job Chrsswmr did. I’ve only led through the easier times, he did the real hard work through the difficult times.

So Cheesy was created, and goodly numbers of Domino players moved over, whilst a very solid core did not. Without me and my input, it almost certainly would never have happened.

Relations between Domino and Cheesy were as you might imagine – strained - but not outright hostile. Cheesy never had any plans to attack Domino, and there were too many friends on both sides for hostilities ever to have started in earnest. However, things were said, there were accusations, and no doubt things said on skype in the heat of the moment.

However – after not too long – it became more and more apparent to me that I had made a horrendously bad call. It felt wrong; I couldn’t shake the feeling that I had let everyone down. I still remember very clearly the day that Jherrera renamed all of his villages ‘Confused?’…. they are still called that now, but that’s why they got the name.

In the background, a lot was going on between those remaining in Domino with Tracey, and ISE. I kept lines of communication open – and the upshot was that several weeks later I moved back to Domino, along with the majority of the players who had moved over to Cheesy - not Prussia and Ewanm1 though, although the offer was there. So in a roundabout way I let them down too.

The outcome of all of this was that Tracey moved back to W38 full-time, and brought with her some young hotshot called Vic to co-play the QA account; and ISE also returned in a full-time role. It was he that stipulated the slate be wiped clean, and that all members could return, and in effect insisted that we all work together under his rules, with no recriminations. For that I thank him.

In a roundabout way though, the whole Cheesy event brought Domino back together, and refocused. Not the way I would have planned it, but I think our future success was secured at that time.

I don’t think I ever apologised to Chrsswmr properly, so I’ll rectify that now. You both earned and deserved my loyalty, and I let you down. I’m sorry.

ISE wanted to come back on a small account, and chose the mc2wire account to do so, it was at the time around the 500k mark, maybe smaller. I persuaded him to take over my account, Rhovani0n, with my reasoning to him being that he was a more aggressive player, and that he could do more damage to the enemy than I could. In reality, that wasn’t fully honest. I had decided to impose a penance on myself, and felt I didn’t deserve an account of that size. So I took on mc2wire, and decided that I would concentrate on growing it back to a useful level and shore up the East, and generally be the tribe’s caretaker. I got mc2wire to about 13m, at which point Noche, Cademica and Dalaoerr opped me and broke the account. I deleted it to save further stat losses (sorry Noche!). I next took over Schoolyd when the owner needed an extended TW break, and grew that by a few million; Schoolyd came back, and has remained with us until the end. And my last act of contrition was taking over the Restorer39 account when the owner left, and got that one up from 23m to 36m.

And then…. as ISE had finally moved on, having got the tribe back together and focused, I took back my original account, and have had it ever since.

Reading over this now, it all sounds a bit silly – but it felt like the right thing to do at the time. I let a lot of people down, and I hope that what I have done since has gone some way to rectifying matters.

So….. sorry if this post was very ‘me’ orientated – but it hopefully sheds a bit of light on a period of Domino history that created quite a stir on W38.

I’ll be doing a further post to cover the last year or so of events, so keep an eye out if you are interested.

DeletedUser

you did a great job with this Rho - its a great read which you have covered with great sensitivity and humbleness.

I definitely dont think you have anything to feel bad about. In fact I feel I need to take some responsibility for the Cheesy split myself. I started playing in w50 for purely selfish reasons. I felt I had been in ISE's huge shadow for such a long time (by that I mean he was such a awesome leader and I thought I was so insignificant). I didnt really feel needed here and doubted whether I added any value. I saw w50 as a chance to try and prove myself.

But I should never have neglected w38 for so long. I think the split might possibly have been avoided had I staid around instead of swanning off to do my own thing. [FONT=Verdana, Arial]But none of us can go back and change anything now and I am just so grateful I got the chance to come back and finish the world with Domino.

I am so grateful to you Rho for assisting in bringing us back together, and to the others who were brave enough to come back from Cheesy and all to those who staid around, even though the odds looked terrible at that time, and also to ISE for risking his reputation to come back and try and turn things around.
[/FONT]
In truth you have been such a linchpin for the tribe, you have served the tribe so faithfully throughout the whole of w38. I will miss everyone but it really has been such a great pleasure and privilege being in the tribe with you and most importantly I have made some wonderful dear friends here.

I do have to thank Vic my wonderful co player - I hate to say it, as I am always trying to beat down his ego, - but he is awesome and the rank one position is all down to him and the account would simply never have survived without him (along with Cat and other tribe members ever generous support of course)

My final thank you is to everyone who has played w38 and especially those in Domino at the end - Thank you all for making this World so honorable and enjoyable. It has been a great pleasure playing with you all.

Im looking forward to a long long long retirement :)

Love Tracey xxx

DeletedUser7158

Wow, it makes me proud to see that Domino made it in the end.

I can't say I regret leaving w38 three long years ago, but it makes me slightly sad to see so many familiar faces still there at the end, and to not have been one of them.

To all the original STORM clique, the heart of Domino, I'm extremely impressed with you all. Congratulations :)

If you ever decide to start again, drop me a line.

DeletedUser

W65 is where its at now.....But not quite the NUTO/Domino & R~I~D war of 2010

DeletedUser

Reggie...what would the forums have been like without you?

And great to see DirtyB and Az again - the old guard!

I'm glad W38 made a (broadly) good impression on people, and the World ended on a pretty positive note too. It was important to me that it didn't end in recriminations and bitterness; and boredom... and I think we managed that.

I will get round to finishing up the roundup one of these days - to cover the NUTS/Warsaw episode and then the long run up to the end. Just for the sake of completeness.