A serious request from Undead Billy Mays

Undead Billy Mays

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Undead Billy Mays here

We are often so wrapped up in our own lives and issues, worrying about whether or not we get that noble train tight enough or planning our sleep around times we need to send out snipes that we don't realize how good some of us have it. Let's all take a minute and consider some problems bigger than our own.

Within our own tribe on world 39 Socoh has led some fund raising for the national MS society (multiple sclerosis) and Rx4u has supported. I'd like to take this to a bigger audience and see what you can do to help support a worthy organization

VV Donate here VV

www.nationalmssociety.org

Multiple sclerosis (abbreviated MS, also known as disseminated sclerosis or encephalomyelitis disseminata) is a disease in which the fatty myelin sheaths around the axons of the brain and spinal cord are damaged, leading to demyelination and scarring as well as a broad spectrum of signs and symptoms. Disease onset usually occurs in young adults, and it is more common in females. It has a prevalence that ranges between 2 and 150 per 100,000. MS was first described in 1868 by Jean-Martin Charcot.

MS affects the ability of nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord to communicate with each other. Nerve cells communicate by sending electrical signals called action potentials down long fibers called axons, which are wrapped in an insulating substance called myelin. In MS, the body's own immune system attacks and damages the myelin. When myelin is lost, the axons can no longer effectively conduct signals. The name multiple sclerosis refers to scars (scleroses—better known as plaques or lesions) in the white matter of the brain and spinal cord, which is mainly composed of myelin.Although much is known about the mechanisms involved in the disease process, the cause remains unknown. Theories include genetics or infections. Different environmental risk factors have also been found.

Almost any neurological symptom can appear with the disease, and often progresses to physical and cognitive disability. MS takes several forms, with new symptoms occurring either in discrete attacks (relapsing forms) or slowly accumulating over time (progressive forms). Between attacks, symptoms may go away completely, but permanent neurological problems often occur, especially as the disease advances.

There is no known cure for MS. Treatments attempt to return function after an attack, prevent new attacks, and prevent disability. MS medications can have adverse effects or be poorly tolerated, and many patients pursue alternative treatments, despite the lack of supporting scientific study. The prognosis is difficult to predict; it depends on the subtype of the disease, the individual patient's disease characteristics, the initial symptoms and the degree of disability the person experiences as time advances. Life expectancy of patients is nearly the same as that of the unaffected population.

VV Donate Here VV

www.nationalmssociety.org

For every person who donates any amount of money at all to the NMSS I will provide 2 forum signatures. I am not a professional, i do it for fun - some of my sigs are hot though :icon_wink: This is on the honor system so just send me a message to skype (edgeukated) or mail me on the forums. Even if you don't want a signature - let me know if you donated - we would love to keep track and see how much the TW community can raise.

Examples of meh work

[spoil]
BEN2.png

rachelle.png
[/spoil]

bigt.png

[spoil]
Foc.png

Dark1.png
[/spoil]

Thanks for reading :icon_smile:

mycard.png

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Weird timing, the private server I play for rs just donated some of their excess server funds(about 300$) to NationalMSSociety. I've taken the last hour or so to read up on it and although I really can't donate at this time I really support those who do.

DeletedUser

I'm not old enough to donate by myself.. but my parents will. I'll also make people signatures for the cause. So you get 3 for the price of one ;)

DeletedUser

There are times when things are bigger than a game.

I am a 39 year old father of 3. Five years ago i was working full time doing the stuff that most of us take for granted and moaning about it as well. I remember driving down the country lane that led to my office and then i remember the air ambulance and then i remember the pretty faced nurse changing a dressing on my leg. The main problem is that there was 23 days between all these events. It was the start of a train of events that changed my life. After exhaustive tests and some of the most painful procedures you can imagine i was diagnosed with Primary progressive MS. I had been driving and had a spasm in my left arm causing the car to swerve and have an argument with a tree. The tree won.

Five years later - the illness has confined me to a wheelchair, cost me my marriage and meant that my children now live 200 miles away as my ex-wife could not cope with the prognosis. It means that most of my food is liquidised as my swallowing is hit and miss. In 3 months time i will have an operation to remove my bladder which is useless as it does not talk to my brain. I have a living will in place for when i believe it has robbed me of my dignity. I am addicted to my morphine that alleviates the pain and an hour before each dose i look like Amy Winehouse on a saturday night after a night out with Pete Doherty. I am prone to outbreaks of vile temper that i cant control (ask my tribe both past and present and the mods actually) and most of the time i cant remember why i am at the place i just arrived at.

I write this not for sympathy, there are people far far worse off than me, but to show that this illness is one of those particularily disturbing diseases that stripe people of their dignity before shutting down something vital in some cases.

About 4 weeks ago SOCOH, a person in my tribe that i have never met, asked for sponsorship in a different country to help research this illness. It nearly made me cry that a game (and it is only a game) can throw together people that care so much for their fellow man. Then the Duke of my tribe Focalor asked how he could get involved with raising funds for the MS society. Then i read the starting post on this thread. It makes me very humble that people who send axes and spears and nobles at each other and work out ways to send each other to the rim come together to have a thread like this

I want to thank Undead Billy, the people i have mentioned above and anyone who just reads this for taking the time out of your busy lives to learn and contribute to the lives of people who have an illness that receives one hundreth of one percent of the funding of Cancer research and one thousandth of one percent of the funding that goes into HIV.

Thank you all and whatever your faith - i hope your God goes with you.

Jerry

Hybrid Soul

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
Great post here Undead Billy Mays!

I have been a friends of Pimpfs for a long time and I'll be honest when I say I only heard about and learned of MS and the effects it has on people from him. It truly is an illness that is that needs more drives and attention, for the sake of the sufferers and their families.

Like already mentioned a short time ago SOCOH did a ride in aid of MS and Rx4U members did what they could. (Enough to win his wife over to the game! :icon_razz:)

Anyway, again I'll of course donate what I can.

Would it be possible to go one step up and have this moved to a section of the forum where players from all worlds might see it? - I'll help with the sigs and hopefully we'll be over worked!

duel pasta

Wow pimpf, a lot of respect for posting that, i wont be cursing at my computer screen today after reading your post. Some people really don't understand how good they have it (me being one of them). I wish you the best in life

I didn't know ms was so agressive

DeletedUser

I totally echo these posts.

Great Idea UBM!

And would strongly second the request by Hybrid Soul that this be moved to a section of the forum where all Tribal Wars members can see it.

I would say that Pimpf has opened my eyes to the effects this disease has on people. Also, his efforts and contribution truly humbled me (as I think it did Duel Pasta) putting into perspective not only my life, but also my priorities.

Through discussions with Pimpf and the example shown by SOCOH I was moved. To the point that I am taking steps to join a UK based charity that focuses not only on looking to prevent MS, but also to improve the quality of life for those who have this disease on a day to day level. A side of the much needed support that is often overlooked in my view (and Pimpf's experience).

I am ashamed to say that I was previously ignorant of this desease and its true nature. How it can strip a person of who they are is frustrating and horrifying.

This is one of the best posts I have yet to see in these forums and deserves all the respect and support that can be given.

I will donate what I can and indeed request that friends and family do the same.

I am poor at sigs and such, but if I can be of any use, just ask.

Focalor

DeletedUser

Great post UBM.
pimpf- I wish you the best of luck with your battle. Your story was touching.

My father in law has MS and I know how aggressive it is and the battle he fights everyday.
I donate every year and participate in a 150 mile bike ride to raise money and awareness.
They have rides all over the place and I would encourage anyone who is interested to get involved, it's a great ride and a top notch event. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/raceMap.aspx
There are more ways to get involved then just donating money if your economic situation makes it difficult
:icon_idea:This post prompted me to make another donation so I just did.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I want to congratulate UBM for taking it upon himself to disseminate information regarding a very terrible disease, MS, educating about its cause, effects, prognosis and treatments.

There are moments in life that can have a hovering effect on the way we see ourselves as compare to others, the fortunes and misfortunes we've experienced, sometimes questioning how it all fits into a bigger master plan to make sense of it all. It is only natural to question the existence of a supernatural being, after all we are curious creatures, but one only needs to look closer and notice the kindness of many a people who come together in trying times and realize that a loving being must be behind it all. I know some may not like the secular dogmas and their flaws - I agree - I'm just stating what I feel to be right and as in all, we won't all concur; uniqueness makes nature rich.

As forementioned by pimpf, Hybrid Soul and Focalor, a few weeks ago I rode 75 miles for MS, it was supposed to be 150 miles but the ride back was cancelled due to severe thunderstorms. The tribe was very supportive in sponsoring me but most importantly donating to continue the research for a cure, to improve quality of life for MS patients and to help bring awareness and how we can help. I was touched by the support received and the stories shared by some, in particular Jerry/aka pimpf, the people with MS who used hand pedals to participate in the MS ride because they had lost the use of their motor skills on their lower limbs, those MS patients who were restrained to a wheelchair and could not participate in the event but still showed up to share their struggles and give thanks for an incredible event which raised 1.5 million dollars.

Like Focalor, I too plan to get involved in my local chapter of the MS society.

I hope that most of you can find it in your heart to help in any way possible, be it walking for MS, riding for MS, raising awareness, volunteering, making a donation, etc.

DeletedUser78112

i will surely have my father contribute to this as i am to young myself.
good posts boys hopefully this will open the TW community to the devestating effects of MS as it has mine

DeletedUser

I have never been so proud to call you guys my friends, well done guys and I hope all who read are able to make a donation if they can :)

LM <3

thiemmortem

It's only recently, in the past year or so, that I have learned a great deal more about MS, it's effects, and some of the unfair consequences it can have on sufferers.

It is sad that it often takes a harrowing story such as pimpf's (my respect, best wishes and support are behind you) to remind many of us just how lucky we are.

I will be donating. My respect goes out to anyone else who finds the time, or a little spare cash, to support this worthy cause.

SOCOH and ductape, what you have done and plan to do is inspiring and your contribution is undoubtedly invaluable.

And would strongly second the request by Hybrid Soul that this be moved to a section of the forum where all Tribal Wars members can see it.

I agree with this.

DeletedUser

i don't pity them, neither do i interfere with theire doings, unless its necessaey. it disgusts me, when i see people glance at them and then turn theire heads away, or the unappropriate jokes and such. the worst thing that u can have is preconception.

im not talking about MS particulary, but about unfortunates as it is, they need theire freedom, they need to feel like human beings and preserve theire dignity of some level. i have my morning cigs with a guy in a wheelchair, never asked whats his disease. sad to see his condition turning worse each day tho.
i happen to rent a studio apartment in the same building with a social institution for people, who got no one to help them to get thru the day, or to cope with theire situation.

i cant say that i care for them, and truly mean it. i just take them as i would take anybody else.
donated some, and it actually made me feel better about myself. tricks of our mind. : /