Abortion: Pro-Life vs. Pro-Choice

DeletedUser

. A fetus is a potential human being, it contains human DNA, this makes it human not a human being. For a fetus to be a human being it would need to be:

1. An individual - (Well doesn't have that, its part of the woman)
  2. Have a physiological/physical independence outside its mother - (Doesn't have that either)

By your point in #2, what do you therefor classify, say a Human vegitble? The brain dead?

Point 1 and 2 are examples of what a perfectly healthy human being would have. By definition a human being must be a separate individual, a disabled person or "human vegetable" as you like to call them are separate individuals, thus they are human beings. [FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]

[/FONT]
Irishmetal said:
Yeah, because space colonization is so easy right now without portals/faster than light travel/significant advances in cryogenics.

However, if that was blatant sarcasm, I agree :icon_biggrin:

If we could make it to a type 1 civilization we'd be lucky.

DeletedUser

46 million souls never got to experience life. I don't care if a fetus doesn't think till 24 weeks into pregnancy. God gave those 46 million souls.

46 million lives aborted........................

Please keep your imaginary friends out of this. Thank you. :)

DeletedUser

Please keep your imaginary friends out of this. Thank you. :)

Can't talk one without the other in some cases.

It's issues like this that show just where people draw the line - and occasionaly how their moral systems affect their choices.

Some people dislike abortion just because the bible says its wrong (it actually doesn't) and they just refuse to see benefits to it.

Many atheists are pro-life not because they see life as a gift from god that should be honoured, but because they believe that absolutely everyone has the right to live their life the way they want, and that includes getting one in the first place.

C'est la vie.

DeletedUser53503

Irish you say the Bible does not say anything against Abortion, but the problem is whether or not those devoloping children are human are not. If that life really is human (which many people believe it is) then it is murder, which is clearly spoken against by the Bible.

DeletedUser

Irish you say the Bible does not say anything against Abortion, but the problem is whether or not those devoloping children are human are not. If that life really is human (which many people believe it is) then it is murder, which is clearly spoken against by the Bible.

See, that's the issue religious pro-lifers face - the Bible passages doesn't consider abortion murder.

The Bible recommends administering an abortifacient to a wife if her husband suspects her of being unfaithful. Numbers 5:11-29. A priest would administer the abortifacient ("water of bitterness", Num. 5-17-18) and if the woman has in fact been unfaithful, the water would "make your uterus drop, your womb discharge". Num. 5-21,22, and 27.

Exodus 21:22-25. 21:22 If men strive, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart from her, and yet no mischief follow: he shall be surely punished, according as the woman's husband will lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. 21:23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life, 21:24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 21:25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

The second paragraph is the most telling. It says that if a woman is forced to miscarry a fine must be paid. If the woman herself then takes sick, other measures come into play.

This is why arguing abortion from a (christian) religious view is pointless. Argue straight morals or not at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The old testament tells me that I can marry someone I rape if I pay her father some silver? Just wondering, How much silver in this time and age?

If you get your morals from the bible then don't just ignore the parts you don't like and choose to follow the ones you do like. It's pretty sad that people need a book to tell them how to live their life.

Oh and you also have to hate gay people.

DeletedUser

The old testament tells me that I can marry someone I rape if I pay her father some silver? Just wondering, How much silver in this time and age?

If you get your morals from the bible then don't just ignore the parts you don't like and choose to follow the ones you do like. It's pretty sad that people need a book to tell them how to live their life.

Oh and you also have to hate gay people.

Come on, participate in the actual debate at hand - we had a religious debate thread already, and it went pretty well.

Abortion is a big issue, and I was just ruling it out by the bible, no need to turn it into a religion bashing thread.

DeletedUser

I apologize for talking about religion but he was the one who brought it into the discussion. Religion is an internal part of the abortion debate due to the inability of the religious people to think for themselves. They prefer to be told what to believe by a book written by cavemen.

DeletedUser

BosBeer, what exactly do you mean by a "potential human life"? I've seen you use this multiple times..
By the way, hey guys:) I'm Adele!