Animation.

• Thread starter Napoli-ThaBosz.
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Hello guys..
Why aren't animation tags allowed in the sotw?
Syntex said I should ask you guys in this topic..

Personally I don't see a problem with animated tags? They just move, that's all ^^
It's made in photoshop and it has the sizes of a normal tag, I don't see why it shouldn't be allowed.

So, a lot of comments please :D

DeletedUser92094

Not everyone knows how to use animation in their signatures, like my self... And can give an unfair advantage to the creator of the animation.

I wouldn't mind to see an "Animation of the week"?

DeletedUser104802

Napoli,but animated shud be saved as .gif,horrible clarity right?

DeletedUser

I wouldn't mind an animation "theme" but remember this isn't a "pro" graphics forum, and the SOTW should be open to everyone (animation is a level above normal graphics manipulation, especially for anything decent). Animation as a theme would be ok because you have choice about entering if you like animation or not, allowing it constantly removes the "choice" and you would constantly be competition with animation. It would do more harm than good.

Supply and demand, most people can't or don't like animation, so have a single theme to suit those who do like it, as opposed to having a constant rule to support a minority vote.

DeletedUser100345

animation +1
i see no reason why this should not be allowed
it's still a graphic and even with gimp they are possible so it would still be fair
the argument that not everybody is used to it is wrong imo because it's just another
technique like smuding and only because not everyone can smudge it's allowed

DeletedUser

Not everyone knows how to use animation in their signatures, like my self... And can give an unfair advantage to the creator of the animation.

I wouldn't mind to see an "Animation of the week"?

What's unfair about someone who might now something more about gfx then others?
That's the competition,. So you say: Someone can do something cool with gfx , that might be better than my tag, so he can't join sotw?

Napoli,but animated shud be saved as .gif,horrible clarity right?

Quality doesn't always suck :)

I wouldn't mind an animation "theme" but remember this isn't a "pro" graphics forum, and the SOTW should be open to everyone (animation is a level above normal graphics manipulation, especially for anything decent). Animation as a theme would be ok because you have choice about entering if you like animation or not, allowing it constantly removes the "choice" and you would constantly be competition with animation. It would do more harm than good.

Supply and demand, most people can't or don't like animation, so have a single theme to suit those who do like it, as opposed to having a constant rule to support a minority vote.

Animation shouldn't be the theme, it should just be allowed.. Everyone can just enter a normal tag.. But the ones who want should have the possibility to sent in an animation.

animation +1
i see no reason why this should not be allowed
it's still a graphic and even with gimp they are possible so it would still be fair
the argument that not everybody is used to it is wrong imo because it's just another
technique like smuding and only because not everyone can smudge it's allowed

Indeed. It's a style like another.
Smudging/C4dstuff/textures/animations. Not allowing this is kind off discrimination. ;/

DeletedUser

Edit: I thought u said something else:
My reaction now: Nobody's going to make animation the whole time. BUT: Sprites are supposed to be in an animation, so yh ;s for this sotw it should at least be allowed in my opinion.

DeletedUser

Edit: I thought u said something else:
My reaction now: Nobody's going to make animation the whole time. BUT: Sprites are supposed to be in an animation, so yh ;s for this sotw it should at least be allowed in my opinion.

To be honest I actually agree that animation should be allowed, however, I think it's a bad move at this point as we don't have many people entering as it is, and something like this will cause hissy-fits and complaining and arguing and general non-productive behavior. Regardless of whether it "should" be allowed or not, I just think it wouldn't help the forum and would drive more people away than encouraging more to participate, which we need more, it's not a big graphics forum and it's temperamental to change. Plus newer people are more likely to not bother against animation sigs, if we had a surplus of entries all the time, sure, but we do have to cater for all skill levels where possible without suppressing those who are better.

Plus animation isn't allowed in signatures on this forum anyway, so you couldn't really call it "signature of the week" it would be "graphical piece of the week".

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser102804

My original entry for this week's Sprite SOTW was going to be an animation:

sonicsprite.gif

But Syntex told me to forgo it since it had been an issue in the past.

DeletedUser

I couldn't animate that well, not even close. Given your entry, I wouldn't have bothered entering, personally. :icon_razz:

DeletedUser

k
this is kinda bullsh*t --' I made an entry for nothing now

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser102804

I couldn't animate that well, not even close. Given your entry, I wouldn't have bothered entering, personally. :icon_razz:

Personally, this is one of my lousier pieces I've done.

There are TONS of tutorials on how to create animated pieces all over YouTube, so I'm sure that if you guys really wanted to learn how, it wouldn't take but 15-20 minutes of your time.

DeletedUser

Personally, this is one of my lousier pieces I've done.

There are TONS of tutorials on how to create animated pieces all over YouTube, so I'm sure that if you guys really wanted to learn how, it wouldn't take but 15-20 minutes of your time.

Indeed it isn't even that difficult lol
it's crap that it's of a muchmuch higher level than most of you guys..

DeletedUser

Indeed it isn't even that difficult lol
it's crap that it's of a muchmuch higher level than most of you guys..

It's been said many times, if you don't like the skill level here feel free to leave. Other-wise stop criticizing and putting down everyone when most people here are actually better than you anyway.

DeletedUser

It's been said many times, if you don't like the skill level here feel free to leave. Other-wise stop criticizing and putting down everyone when most people here are actually better than you anyway.

First of all: I didn't say you guys are noob.

What I said was: it's crap that it's of a muchmuch higher level than most of you guys..
That means in translation for people who don't understand: what you guys say is bullshit, it isn't of a much higher level than most of you guys are -> I ectually said that you guys could easily learn this. What, as far as I know, is something positive.

So stop looking for 'faults' in my sentences.

Lolled at that last sentence of you by the way :D

DeletedUser

First of all: I didn't say you guys are noob.

What I said was: it's crap that it's of a muchmuch higher level than most of you guys..
That means in translation for people who don't understand: what you guys say is bullshit, it isn't of a much higher level than most of you guys are -> I ectually said that you guys could easily learn this. What, as far as I know, is something positive.

So stop looking for 'faults' in my sentences.

Lolled at that last sentence of you by the way :D

Apologies if I misunderstood, language barrier and all that. Plus it's been a bad day. I get what you are saying (now) but I don't personally enjoy animation that much. I wouldn't mind it as a theme because it's a once off, it's fun to play with occasionally, but I would get tired very quickly of seeing animation all the time and if I had to learn it and use it just to participate in the SOTW I would just not bother, as it doesn't appeal to me.

It's the same with anything, that's where having things as "theme"'s are good to keep it balanced. Animation would throw off the balance, because it's simply "animated sigs vs still-sigs" as opposed to each sig with different traits and techniques in competition, it would become animation vs still, constantly.

If you get what I mean. Tired now.

DeletedUser

Apologies if I misunderstood, language barrier and all that. Plus it's been a bad day. I get what you are saying (now) but I don't personally enjoy animation that much. I wouldn't mind it as a theme because it's a once off, it's fun to play with occasionally, but I would get tired very quickly of seeing animation all the time and if I had to learn it and use it just to participate in the SOTW I would just not bother, as it doesn't appeal to me.

It's the same with anything, that's where having things as "theme"'s are good to keep it balanced. Animation would throw off the balance, because it's simply "animated sigs vs still-sigs" as opposed to each sig with different traits and techniques in competition, it would become animation vs still, constantly.

If you get what I mean. Tired now.

No problem, my sentence wasn't clear enough I guess xD

But yh.. I don't care if animation should be allowed all the time.
I just think that for this one sotw of tomorrow animations should be allowed.
Sprites are (maybe you don't know that) supposed to be used in an animated image.

This is something like I mean (not made by me) and believe me, mine isn't by far as good as this one xD
[SPOIL]
blazblueeee-1.gif
[/SPOIL]

It's kinda silly that sprites may not be used for what they are made for in my opinion.
Also I've put some effort in it, I don't want that to get lost just because of that 1 rule.

Maybe we can just allow this for only 1 sotw? because the theme actually needs it in my opinion.

DeletedUser102804

Napoli, you're on TagFreak? What's your username on there?

Hope you asked amnky if you could post that.

DeletedUser

Napoli, you're on TagFreak? What's your username on there?

Hope you asked amnky if you could post that.

My name is uuh Napoli I guesse :)

And nope I didn't ask.. Though I said it wasn't made by me. :D

samulis

Maybe you should have an animated tag or just plain .gif art contest separate... I might even bother entering if I have time.

Something like this:
Tww9blog header