Animation.

• Thread starter Napoli-ThaBosz.
  • Start date

DeletedUser

I'll start off by saying I don't really have a valid or logical explanation for my belief, it is just my belief.

But I really don't like the idea of animation being added to the SOTW competition. I feel like it will for the most part be tacky and simply used to get the novelty vote. Granted in some cases there will be a great piece of animation, but I feel like when you add animation to the competition it is just going to become a gimicky thing which will give some users an advantage. I also think that when you use animation, people stop looking at the quality of the signature, and pretty much focus on the "wow, there's animation" factor.

Like I said, it's not a strong argument really just wanted to say that I am strongly opposed to adding animation to SOTW
- By all means I am open to the idea of an animation competition or themed SOTW

DeletedUser

I'll start off by saying I don't really have a valid or logical explanation for my belief, it is just my belief.

But I really don't like the idea of animation being added to the SOTW competition. I feel like it will for the most part be tacky and simply used to get the novelty vote. Granted in some cases there will be a great piece of animation, but I feel like when you add animation to the competition it is just going to become a gimicky thing which will give some users an advantage. I also think that when you use animation, people stop looking at the quality of the signature, and pretty much focus on the "wow, there's animation" factor.

Like I said, it's not a strong argument really just wanted to say that I am strongly opposed to adding animation to SOTW

That's ok for me.. But did you read my post. Sprites are supposed to be animations.
If you choose sprites as a theme, you should allow it. Fine, you can make spritetags without animation. But sprites were made for making animations, why not allowing that for this 1 sotw.

DeletedUser

Yeah I saw again I just didn't feel I had a strong argument on that specific topic either way.
One thing you have to ask is if you allow animation for one SOTW then every single SOTW we must ask if animation is allowed, and as Syntex ( with all respect intended ) isn't the most experienced of the graphics members he may be unsure or even if he is sure, may feel it best to ask the community, then instead of just going ahead with a sotw, we spend a couple of days deciding whether or not animation should be allowed.

DeletedUser

I can see both sides of the argument here...

I don't think sprites "need" to be animated any more than other types of renders from video games or even of people in general. Since animation has never been allowed in the past, it would be unfair imo to spontaneously change it for this SOTW, when everyone has already submitted entries that don't use the technique.

For the future, however, I see three options

1) No animation
2) Animation always allowed
3) Animation as a theme in the pool to be used for one SOTW

Would you like a poll?

DeletedUser

I don't think sprites "need" to be animated any more than other types of renders from video games or even of people in general. Since animation has never been allowed in the past, it would be unfair imo to spontaneously change it for this SOTW, when everyone has already submitted entries that don't use the technique.

1) No animation

Would you like a poll?

There were 2 entries with animation.. People don't HAVE TO USE animation, it's just a possibility. So both kind of techniques that can be used for 1 sotw.

DeletedUser

There were 2 entries with animation.. People don't HAVE TO USE animation, it's just a possibility. So both kind of techniques that can be used for 1 sotw.

It's highly unlikely that a sig without animation could beat a sig with animation, there would have to be a huge skill gap (like a genuine concept artist vs a photoshop animator).

It's like putting in a novel vs a video game. Who do you think would win? It's nothing to do with "skill" or the "creativity" or etc etc, it's just unbalanced and one side will always win.

DeletedUser100345

Wow that made everything clear :)
i'm pretty sure the novel would win ;D
i would suggest to allow animations not in every sotw but perhaps in every third
so you can see how the animations are made and how do they affect the votes, etc
and you still have enough classic sotw for "oldtimer" :icon_twisted:

DeletedUser96141

what lewis said

DeletedUser

I only enter SOTWs once in a blue moon, mostly because of lack of skill and lack of confidence in what little skill I do have (the total number of votes I've gotten in the SOTWs I've entered (I admit I've only entered one, but I've made (poor) attempts at pieces for others) is exactly 0). I entered the BOTG because I didn't have to feel like I was "taking" a spot from someone with more skill and a much more serious attitude toward graphics and because being up against just one other person meant my piece was looked at a little bit more closely and given a tiny fraction of a fighting chance. Having to contend with animated pieces on a regular basis would make me feel even more uncomfortable about entering the rare SOTW.

Just the perspective of a noob.

DeletedUser

1) No animation

Would you like a poll?

I think animation as a theme would be perfect, it's the best of both worlds in that each side of the argument is listened to and catered to. But I would also be happy to see a poll on the issue.

It's highly unlikely that a sig without animation could beat a sig with animation, there would have to be a huge skill gap (like a genuine concept artist vs a photoshop animator).

It's like putting in a novel vs a video game. Who do you think would win? It's nothing to do with "skill" or the "creativity" or etc etc, it's just unbalanced and one side will always win.

I quite agree with this actually, even basic animation for example taking 2 frames of sprite and animating them ( which can take a maximum of 10-30 seconds ) can look impressive because well ... it's animation and it's more interesting than a still image.

Wow that made everything clear :)

If that was sarcasm, it wasn't needed. What he said makes sense with reference to two different mediums that are incomparable. E.g you ask any child if he would prefer a video game or a book, even if it is the best book in the world and the crappiest game, they will pick the game because well ... it's a game. Now I'm not saying the gap between animation and still imagery is the same, but it follows the same premise.

Just the perspective of a noob.

It's a valid perspective, as the skill level increases averagely people of a lower skill ability will feel less and less willing to enter, which would be a shame as everybody should feel they have an equal right to enter.

DeletedUser

If that was sarcasm, it wasn't needed. What he said makes sense with reference to two different mediums that are incomparable. E.g you ask any child if he would prefer a video game or a book, even if it is the best book in the world and the crappiest game, they will pick the game because well ... it's a game. Now I'm not saying the gap between animation and still imagery is the same, but it follows the same premise.

I would chose the book anyways.. Sucky games are only boring, at least in a book you can have some fun.
And if we change that example to the animation question:
There is the best tag in the world and the crappiest animation. I would go for the tag, and if you don't, then it just means that you don't know anything about gfx.
You guys would vote for an animation if there is a better tag? kinda weird lol

DeletedUser

I would chose the book anyways.. Sucky games are only boring, at least in a book you can have some fun.
There is the best tag in the world and the crappiest animation. I would go for the tag, and if you don't, then it just means that you don't know anything about gfx.

I'm pretty sure anyone can vote. Only about .001% of people on this forum (it being a gaming forum foremost, not a graphics forum) have the vaguest idea of what "photoshop" is. So yes, you could have the best tag in the world and a crappy animation, and it's highly probable that the animation would win.

Do you think that would be a better system than having specific animation rounds occasionally? Do you think it would work better, for everyone involved and create a productive, fun and useful graphical environment to encourage crappy animation for the sake of winning with "public opinion" (which is fickle)? I really don't think it would help the forum at all, that's my opinion.

samulis

There's a reason why I think there should be separate rounds for animation... perhaps even more open ones, accepting 3D/2D animation... As a 3D animator, I'd be interested in this... I'm not great with photoshop, at least not as much as the greats around here, but I am good with my 3D program so it'd be something I would feel up to entering in.

DeletedUser

Yes and that's your individual preference, but on the whole I can garuntee it would not be the same.
Also just as a note I did say "Now I'm not saying the gap between animation and still imagery is the same, but it follows the same premise.
" so you're relation to crappy tag/animation was utterly pointless as I had already said, the gap isn't as big as in the game/book example.

Like harb says, this isn't soley a graphics orientated forum, and as a result it is not only graphics people who are going to vote. This leads to inexperienced votes that would simply vote for the animation because it is a novelty and will stand out from the crowd. Which ruins the competition for all those who have tried hard without animation but won't get a second look because of the flashing colours of the signature just below theirs.

I don't see why you can't settle for a themed SOTW every now and then, it's the best of both worlds.

DeletedUser

First of all it's ridiculous to hide behind your 'game forum' the whole time. It's right, but you guys are still part of the graphic section.
Second of all, I don't care about specific SOTW's for animations. The only thing I wanted was 1 sotw with animations allowed, because the theme requires it. This Sotw is over, so this thread can actually be closed.

I don't think my relation was pointless though ;)

I don't see why you can't settle for a themed SOTW every now and then, it's the best of both worlds.
Why should I want a themed sotw for animation?
What I made was a 1time animation for an sotw

DeletedUser

First of all it's ridiculous to hide behind your 'game forum' the whole time. It's right, but you guys are still part of the graphic section.
Second of all, I don't care about specific SOTW's for animations. The only thing I wanted was 1 sotw with animations allowed, because the theme requires it. This Sotw is over, so this thread can actually be closed.

I don't think my relation was pointless though ;)

Why should I want a themed sotw for animation?
What I made was a 1time animation for an sotw

If by that you mean, telling the truth, then yes we are hiding behind the fact that this is not primarily a graphics forum.

So you're saying you wanted animation to be allowed for the Sprites SOTW ? Yet the discussion thread for sprites was posted on "2012,March 2nd, 23:50" and you posted this thread "2012,March 8th, 06:25". How did you possibly expect to change the rules in such a short period of time. If you really wanted to enter with animation in SOTW, you should have posted straight away with the question, at which point it could have been decided and possibly you would have got your way.

You attempted to address a point that did not exist by twisting what I had said ... so yes, it was pointless.

DeletedUser

If by that you mean, telling the truth, then yes we are hiding behind the fact that this is not primarily a graphics forum.

So you're saying you wanted animation to be allowed for the Sprites SOTW ? Yet the discussion thread for sprites was posted on "2012,March 2nd, 23:50" and you posted this thread "2012,March 8th, 06:25". How did you possibly expect to change the rules in such a short period of time. If you really wanted to enter with animation in SOTW, you should have posted straight away with the question, at which point it could have been decided and possibly you would have got your way.

How should I possibly now that animation wasn't allowed? On every other graphic forum (yes also game forums) it's allowed.
I sent my entrie in (the day before this thread) a day later syntex answered that I should ask your opinion.
What should I've done else maybe huh?

You attempted to address a point that did not exist by twisting what I had said ... so yes, it was pointless
Why don't you just talk normal, easy english --'

Srsly this **** is pissing me of

DeletedUser

How should I possibly now that animation wasn't allowed? On every other graphic forum (yes also game forums) it's allowed.
I sent my entrie in (the day before this thread) a day later syntex answered that I should ask your opinion.
What should I've done else maybe huh?

Why don't you just talk normal, easy english --'

Srsly this Discussion is pissing me of

Considering that it has never been allowed and as such has never been a part of SOTW, you could take a wild stab in the dark that perhaps it isn't allowed. Even so you could have checked before starting your piece to avoid problems.

I prefer to speak formally in a discussion, or would you rather me just write "Omg y0u is wrong!?!"

You started a discussion that people like myself feel strongly about, did you not expect people to argue their point with you ?

P.s I changed your wording in my quote ... wouldn't want you to be giving me an infraction.