ANZAC Day

DeletedUser

Just a quick post.

As we fight a war game, let us not forget the horrors of real life war.

"They shall not grow old, as we that are left shall grow old".
We remember them. Lest we forget.

Today marks the 94th anniversary of the allied landings on Gallipoli. 33.000 allied troops died there. Of those 8.500 were Australians, the rest were NZ, British, French and more.
It's a public holiday in New Zealand and Australia.

Just spare a thought for those that gave their lives for their country.

DeletedUser

now acctually how many people know what the goal of that attack was, what war,which country was the landing I would be suprised if someone knows this with out internet help

WW1 was one of the bloodiest wars in human history its considered to have the highest death toll per square Mile since it trench warfare in other words you take 100 yards lose it the next day... take it again lose it again......

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

now acctually how many people know what the goal of that attack was, what war,which country was the landing I would be suprised if someone knows this with out internet help

WW1 was one of the bloodiest wars in human history its considered to have the highest death toll per square Mile since it trench warfare in other words you take 100 yards lose it the next day... take it again lose it again......

I'll have a crack without a search of the internet:

Goal of the offensive: To gain control of the Dardanelles and push Turkey out of the war.

War: WWI

Landing site: Gallipoli. They chose to land at what is now called ANZAC cove. It was basically a sheer cliff face and was almost impossible to get landing forces onto the beach and into safe areas. It was a bloodbath...

Initial Losses: Casualties were considered to be as high as 2,500 ANZACS on the first day...

Who ordered the offensive: Winston Churchill. He resigned from the British War Cabinet after the offensive failed. I'm not completely sure if he was the minister of war, but he was part of the War Cabinet.

DeletedUser

I was randomly surfing the world forums and saw this topic so i've decided to post as i'm a military history buff. Winston Churchill was the lord of the Admiralty at the time and the original plan was to use the navy to blast the Turkish forts and then take Istanbul presumably since the way would then be clear and knock out the Ottoman Empire. Then the British could help out the Russians since the way there via the Black Sea would be clear. They would also be able to attack the Austo-Hungarian Empire easier via Bulgaria and just go from there. The whole plan was mainly to avoid the bloodbath frontal assaults on the western front in Belguim, which were getting no where.

DeletedUser

the british lost some battleships too there it itself became a very bloody battle for the time it lasted

DeletedUser

The Turkish won that battle at Galipoli, but not the war.

DeletedUser

Also without the aid of the internet I believe I read somewhere that one of the young Turkish officers in attendance was none other than Kamal Ataturk? Known i some circles as the father of modern Turkey?

Again....this is w/o googling.

Another country that fought there was Newfoundland. Now a part of Canada. We fought as British subjects. My great uncle died there and is buried in West Madras? (That part I will have to look up)

Bravo zulu to the Anzacs, sorry I missed the day.

Never a bad time to remember though. :)

Lest we forget.

DeletedUser

The Newfoundlanders were not only fighting for the British Empire in Turkey...
DrehenvonIMGP0554.jpg

I don't know if Kemal Atatuerk was fighting there, but it is right that he was the founder of the modern Turkish Republic (Atatuerk= father of the Turkish) after the WW1.
Modern means: He made Turkey a democratic republic and not an islamic republic.
Religion and public life / society are not connected.
Even typical religious islamic signs are forbidden in pubic life (partly).
In Istanbul you will see less women with headscarf on the street than in some european cities...
@Chulthok: also without internet :)

DeletedUser

@Suko:You learned only about your country in WW1???
Which country is yours?

@blurk: Galipoli was like a fortress, I think there were more than only few turkish soldiers defending...

DeletedUser

Hmm, I didn't understand that part of Suko's post like that, but Thank you Rednecks :)

Well, the dutch were not active involved in WW1, so what should include the part about their country in this war?
Little bit sarcastic question :)

DeletedUser

We were involved in ww2 :p We held out against the Germans for a whole 4 days :p

then we surrendered because they started bombard the crap out of our major port.. (Rotterdam = largest port of Europe.. and was the largest of the world until in 2004 the Sjanghai became larger)

so we were like.. let our Port live.. we'll surrender then XD

blurk

Suko, mind you the we held out 3 days longer then they had expected us to.

also turks had 6 divisions
ANZAC/British had 14 divisions

the failure was mostly because of poor knowlegde of the battlefield.
yes the Brits/Anzac's thought the area was a flat plain.
and that there where no hills what so ever.

DeletedUser

Suko, mind you the we held out 3 days longer then they had expected us to.

also turks had 6 divisions
ANZAC/British had 14 divisions

the failure was mostly because of poor knowlegde of the battlefield.
yes the Brits/Anzac's thought the area was a flat plain.
and that there where no hills what so ever.

we have hills over here? o_O

DeletedUser

"so we were like.. let our Port live.. we'll surrender then XD"

I know a man from Netherlands, he told me once that trade is the most important for the dutch people, every else comes behind.
He also made a comment once to me: If you shake hands with a dutch, count your fingers aferwards.