Apoc-C : I salute you!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Actually all of the Apoc-C players transferred to what is now Apoc. So, far from Apoc-C being inactive, it would be fair to say it was the most active tribe on W18.

DeletedUser

Funny that you accuse us of being childish ;)

We were having fun (something you clearly don't understand). Besides, you retaliate and reply to our posts, which puts you in the same boat as us. :)

Hmmm, I do know how to have fun but your interpretation of the word leaves a little to be desired!!!

As Andy has already stated, you have contributed nothing to these forums other than childish wisecracks, so I will follow his lead and add you to my blocked list!

Have fun and seriously, get a life!

DeletedUser

Hmmm, I do know how to have fun but your interpretation of the word leaves a little to be desired!!!

As Andy has already stated, you have contributed nothing to these forums other than childish wisecracks, so I will follow his lead and add you to my blocked list!

Have fun and seriously, get a life!

Oh, gee. Scary mature Apoc people. :icon_rolleyes:​

DeletedUser

The opposite of love is not hate.

It is indifference.

Hitting ignore is a great example of indifference.

DeletedUser67005

More of Apoc ignored me, my goal is nearly complete! XD

Andrew probably can't see this anymore (like it matters), but a single persons contribution to the forums differs from player to player. What you and your groupies think of me matters not, because you are opposition. You are supposed to hate me ;) It appears that like Peter before you, I got under your skin. Probably shouldn't have happened, but you allowed it to.

I have been known to make wisecracks before (all the time, actually) but I have voiced my opinion in all seriousness before, though you choose to believe that your direct opinion overrules all others... Enjoy your freedom from me... :)

Ffs, mature is all they know :(

Dhudson, tell me, what have YOU contributed? Flames against me is all that I could find... :p Though, none of you scary mature Apoc people can read this, can you? :p

DeletedUser

The opposite of love is not hate.

It is indifference.

Hitting ignore is a great example of indifference.

You have it wrong. Indifference is in the middle of the spectrum. It's like the neutral in your car or the neutral on a pH scale. Love and hate are both extreme feelings and as you move into the middle, feelings taper off until they neither here no there. They would equate to 0 and 360 degrees on the revolution so that only 1 degree would tip it. Indifference would be at 180 degrees - a whole 180 degrees away from any of the extreme feelings. That is why they say there is a fine line between love and hate, pleasure and pain.

Hitting ignore is a great example of lack of control. You cannot handle reading the other person's post and deciding for yourself whether you will reply to that particular post or not. The only time you would resort to the use of the ignore feature would be when that person gets to you - feelings that are very far from indifference. I wouldn't go so far as saying you hate the person but they definately do aggrevate you.

DeletedUser

I've been posting on these forums for nearly two years (actually 2 years in 4 days) and never felt the need to ignore anyone. However, in the last 7 days I have ignored one troll (for hate) and I am about to ignore another...

Assasin Strike:You have contributed absolutely nothing to these forums. Even Bella, who I disagree with on so many things, actual says something (even though I regard it as wrong). You do nothing whatsoever.

I would encourage anyone who feels the same to ignore him with immediate effect.

Assasin may not have contributed anything in your view but I happen to have bumped into him long ago, in the war against AoO. I will not say anything specific as it is not my place to reveal anything related to his rl but I can tell you that he was a good friend to many in his tribe. He showed a lot of strength and determination. You of all people should know not to judge people just on circumstantial evidence. I know both your stories that affected your play on TW but there are a lot of people that don't.

The use of the Ignore feature reminds me of childhood playground tactics. "I'm not talking to you anymore", "I'm not your friend anymore", " Hey X, don't talk to Y, they are not our friend anymore". As adults, we learn to control our feelings and actions. You could have just not replied to the posts that you didn't like. To go out and make an announcement and drama about ignoring him makes Assasin look like the mature one and you the immature one. You let everyone know that he gets to you and that you just can't handle it anymore. Your reaction to the milestone thread shocked me but you ignoring 2 people recently just took your tantrums to a whole new level. My reaction to reading your post was 'omg, what a ****** bag; he has totally lost the plot'. "... immediate effect"? Come on Andrew. Like really? Maybe you have been so quick on judging others as immature and trolls that you haven't stopped to reflect on your own behaviour.

We are all entitled to our opinions whether anyone else likes them or not. I seriously doubt that anyone on here hates anyone else (they'd have mental issues otherwise). My advice to you is, read what you want to read and reply to what you want to reply to. If it is getting too much for you to handle, maybe you should just take a break from the forums and come back when you have regained some semblance of control. At the moment you are acting like a complete jerk and bully.

@ Assasin: I like having you around on the forum. You provide a good balance of funny, as well as well thought out posts. It's not your fault that you got under their skin, they let that happen to themselves and have nobody else to blame.

DeletedUser

Arguing about yet another feature that you don't feel should be used Bella? Well at least you are consistent.

I am ignoring Assassin because he contributes nothing to these forums. I am not ignoring the person, I am ignoring the poster. The two are worlds apart as you should know.

Assassin maybe the loveliest person I could ever hope to meet. However I won't meet him so any discussion of RL factors is not relevant (actually they would be inappropriate regardless of whether I knew him in RL). Equally his game persona is irrelevant as he appears to be a part of a tribe with the sum total of 12 players. So, all I have to work with is what he says here and, to be frank, all he does is contradict and stir.

You are right on a couple of things: His posts do wind me up and I should just learn to ignore them. Unfortunately I feel I must respond to stupid or ill informed comments. It is a weakness I have (I am sure you could provide a list!) Fortunately the forums provide a mechanism where I can remove such temptation. And I am using it. Don't get me wrong, I have been seriously tempted to "View Post" a number of times but, so far, I have resisted.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions, no matter how unsubstantiated they may be. That doesn't mean I don't have the right to respond to such opinion. In fact I consider it my right to respond. You are, of course, completely within your rights to think what you like of me. I am also completely within my rights to reciprocate. I had included a few verging-on-personal comments in this response. However I overcame my desire to lash out my removing them. You may like to consider doing the same in future.

I will make one more observation. In my experience men are far more capable of walking away from an argument that they regard as in deadlock than are women. This is not universally true but appears to be true more often than not. I regard the "Ignore" capability as simply that: me walking away from a pointless dialogue. Assuming you comply with my generalism, you will never understand that, hence your accusations of me being childish. Men are from Mars...

DeletedUser

To me using the ignore feature is like those people that say 'talk to the hand' (like on those american talk shows). They have nothing reasonable left to say and so resort to that immaturity.

Of course you have the right to respond and it is only you that has removed that right from yourself. You are not walking away from the argument, you are just pretending that it is not there. 'View post' reminds you of that.

Women are from Venus...

DeletedUser

Women are from Venus
They are, which is why they don't get that when a guy walks away from the argument it isn't because he is pretending it isn't there, it is because he knows that both parties probably just need to cool off and, in doing so, consider alternative perspectives. Women, of course, simply want to beat the bloke into a bloody pulp with the force of their indignation ;-)

[Andy walks away from argument...]

DeletedUser

You have it wrong. Indifference is in the middle of the spectrum. It's like the neutral in your car or the neutral on a pH scale. Love and hate are both extreme feelings and as you move into the middle, feelings taper off until they neither here no there. They would equate to 0 and 360 degrees on the revolution so that only 1 degree would tip it. Indifference would be at 180 degrees - a whole 180 degrees away from any of the extreme feelings. That is why they say there is a fine line between love and hate, pleasure and pain.

Hitting ignore is a great example of lack of control. You cannot handle reading the other person's post and deciding for yourself whether you will reply to that particular post or not. The only time you would resort to the use of the ignore feature would be when that person gets to you - feelings that are very far from indifference. I wouldn't go so far as saying you hate the person but they definately do aggrevate you.

As I often say in response to your ramblings....

"Wow."

You really don't do a lot of philosophical debate, do you?
At the risk of taking this thread further off topic...
Stop for a moment and consider the meaning of what I wrote.

Do you think I've never heard the thing you argue? LOL
It's fairly pedestrian. It's the cliche. Love vs. Hate.
Duh.

Let me see if I can explain this to you (although I doubt you will honestly consider anything I say).

Love is an emotion. It takes energy and it can even consume a person. It is often irrational and people will behave in very self-destructive ways when in the grip of Love's power.
Hate can be described the exact same way.
You see, Bella, it takes effort and energy to hate. You have to CARE to hate. You must devote time and thought to hating someone.

HOWEVER...
If someone is truly not worth the time, effort, energy and intellectual investment... then they are not even worthy of hate. To truly NOT care about someone is to ignore him or her.

That is why the axiom exists... that the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference. I didn't make it up.
LOL
Go argue with some long-dead philosophers if you want to beat the hell out of your insipid response.

As for hitting the "ignore" button... if you truly think that ignoring A.S. is because of his awesome communication and debate skills, then I grossly over-estimated your intellect.

How about an analogy:
If your child is screaming in a store ... to the point of being insufferable... it's best to just leave the store and spare everyone else the misery.
But if the child is someone else's... and you've already attempted to entertain it with various toys and cooing... well... it's then best to leave the store yourself and spare your own sanity (and hearing).
I have merely exited the store to avoid listening to the insufferable crying baby.

Don't get so worked up over this. It's really not that big a deal. I worry you're taking this all to personally.

DeletedUser67005

@ Assasin: I like having you around on the forum. You provide a good balance of funny, as well as well thought out posts. It's not your fault that you got under their skin, they let that happen to themselves and have nobody else to blame.

Thanks Bella :p I enjoy posting here with everyone :) Peter ignoring me is understandable, he's a kid, I believe. Andrew just plain can't handle me :p

In any case, I have fun here with you guys... :)

Again Andrew, contributions differ from player to player. Everyone from your side of the world thinks mine are nothing, merely because I never played on your side. :S

DeletedUser

To elaborate on Andy's point...
The premise of the "Mars / Venus" book was simple (and accurate, I think)...

Men will focus on fixing the problem. When presented an issue, men will seek the solution. Once a course of action is decided, the issue is done. Men move on.
Women will focus on discussing the problem. When a solution is presented, it is discussed. Then the issue is discussed further. Then the solution is offered again. It is discussed again.

For men, the catharsis occurs when the problem is solved.
For women, the catharsis occurs when the problem is discussed.
Hence, the friction that occurs between men and women. Men get frustrated because they offer the solution and think women ignore it. Women get frustrated because they know what the solution is, but they want to talk about it.

The author said "men go to their caves" to think a problem out. Women go to their friends and family to chat.

DeletedUser

As I often say in response to your ramblings....

"Wow."

You really don't do a lot of philosophical debate, do you?
At the risk of taking this thread further off topic...
Stop for a moment and consider the meaning of what I wrote.

Do you think I've never heard the thing you argue? LOL
It's fairly pedestrian. It's the cliche. Love vs. Hate.
Duh.

Let me see if I can explain this to you (although I doubt you will honestly consider anything I say).

Love is an emotion. It takes energy and it can even consume a person. It is often irrational and people will behave in very self-destructive ways when in the grip of Love's power.
Hate can be described the exact same way.
You see, Bella, it takes effort and energy to hate. You have to CARE to hate. You must devote time and thought to hating someone.

HOWEVER...
If someone is truly not worth the time, effort, energy and intellectual investment... then they are not even worthy of hate. To truly NOT care about someone is to ignore him or her.

That is why the axiom exists... that the opposite of love is not hate, it is indifference. I didn't make it up.
LOL
Go argue with some long-dead philosophers if you want to beat the hell out of your insipid response.

Who are you to determine what is or is not an insipid response? While I appreciate you have recently seen some movies/tv shows/read a book that thought they were clever going against the norm of Hate being the opposite of love. That doesn't change the actual truth of the matter.

No matter which way you argue, Hate is diametrically opposed to love.

If you had 3 people
A, B, and C

C hates A
B is indifferent to A
Given equal effort by A to convince C and B to love A
B will end up loving A before C.
Which indicates that on a value scale Hate will be further from Love than Indifference.

To further argue the point

Caring is not = loving.
Nobody is arguing that hate is the opposite of care.
Hating is not the opposite of caring. This seems to be where you are getting caught up.
you also seem to think that the energy level required to hate someone seems to be a counter argument to it being the opposite of love. When in fact the opposite is true. Given that hatred is the extreme end of this type of emotion and love is the other, of course they both require extreme amounts of energy. Just like creation and destruction.

When debating how much emotion goes into something (which seems to be what you are doing) of course Indifference is the opposite of both hate and love, because in that regard they are on the same end of THAT spectrum. That however is not the argument at hand.

There are certainly debates you can have regarding the relationship of hate vs love vs indifference. But hate being the opposite of love is already in a quite well established position.

to summarize,
Hate is the opposite of love
Care is the opposite of indifference
When factoring a small part of love or hate (the amount of caring required) Then this aspect of both words is the opposite of indifference. As to the whole of the word, the true opposite of love is hate, full stop.

to stay on topic. Go apoc, yay.

DeletedUser

Wow
I cant remember when was the last time that I've actually stayed on one page more than few mins...so thank you guys...this was interesting read.

Wont go in disccusion about love,hate,caring or anything like that here...but when tw is in question...I would say that we are all from planet called Earth.

DeletedUser

Zurtle,

Hate is caring. Love is caring. They are both caring. They are the same. They are emotional.
You even agree with me at one point in your last post: "Indifference is the opposite of both hate and love, because in that regard they are on the same end of THAT spectrum. That however is not the argument at hand."

You inasmuch agreed.
"The opposite of Love is not Hate. It is indifference." Do you seriously not see the point of this saying? Really? Have you never heard it?

But that last sentence you wrote is wrong.
You say "That's not the argument at hand."
But, it is, actually. Because that's what I said. Your friend asserted a different meaning of what I wrote. My meaning was (I thought) pretty clear. It was Bella who changed the argument to meet her own idea of what she thought I meant.
I was explaining to her (and apparently to you) the meaning of what I wrote.

Seriously... you two are arguing over an ages-old axiom? Why? Because I wrote it?
I hope Bella's anger has not infected you, now, too!

Now... would you like to discuss how hate actually requires some level of love?
That's a fun one.

On topic.. I salute Apoc-C.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I'm not entirely certain that you read the post Peter. Or you would realize that a portion of what defines a word does not make the word. Indifference is the opposite of caring, this is the point of my post. Loving is not = caring. Caring is a small portion of the definition of love, this tiny portion by necessity is the opposite of indifference. The whole of the word is not, by any stretch of the imagination.

DeletedUser

And you are not looking at the axiom in the context in which it was given.

Status
Not open for further replies.