Archers, are they worth building ?

DeletedUser

hi

so my second world with archers. i quit the first one early

anyways

are they worth building ?

DeletedUser

It depends on your strategy, in general, I'd say yes, but MAs are an absolute no-no.

Early on, archers are quite expensive and I'd simply use spears and swords. Later on, try using 1-2K archers in d-villages, they can help.

DeletedUser

Heavy Cavalry, but that is for the more advanced players. New players should use only spears and swords till they learn why HC/SP villages are better than SP/SW (unless you are hugging in the middle of your Tribes territory)

DeletedUser

MAs chop archers to bits very easily. Check out the simulator. A handful own LOADS of archers. On paper, you shouldn't build archers because of this. But then not many people build many MAs...but then again, you dont need many to kill loads of archers...

Point being? It's up to you. See what work's best.

DeletedUser

It depends on your strategy, in general, I'd say yes, but MAs are an absolute no-no.

Early on, archers are quite expensive and I'd simply use spears and swords. Later on, try using 1-2K archers in d-villages, they can help.

/facepalm.

I'd say you should have between 200-500 MAs in any decent nuke. Any more is too much.

You should build archers, but in your defense, Swords > Archers < Spears. Archers should not often make up the majority of your defense. I have seen archer defenses work quite well in the past, one downside is they take far longer to build.

A humble player

/facepalm.

I'd say you should have between 200-500 MAs in any decent nuke. Any more is too much.

You should build archers, but in your defense, Swords > Archers < Spears. Archers should not often make up the majority of your defense. I have seen archer defenses work quite well in the past, one downside is they take far longer to build.

I actually have a beautiful defensive strategy with sp,sw,arch,HC.
I believe is was
2000 HC
4800 Arch
2100 Sp
2100 sw
It breaks every rule, yet trains quickly, and provides a great defense. One that rarely ever gets cleared.

DeletedUser

Every unit is worth building, it just depends on the strategy you want to use.

DeletedUser

/facepalm.

/counter facepalm

Try the sim... MA are only good against the elusive pure archer build. (weakens against average defence)

DeletedUser

/counter facepalm

Try the sim... MA are only good against the elusive pure archer build. (weakens against average defence)

/further counter facepalm

MA help reduce that iron deficiency you get when building nukes from all that LC.

And every unit is worth building.

A humble player

/further counter facepalm

MA help reduce that iron deficiency you get when building nukes from all that LC.

And every unit is worth building.
This, MA are also respectable against spears. But, sp/ar is uncommon, sw/arch is much more likely.

DeletedUser

No, they`re not worth building... SP/HC defense beats everything else by a mile.

DeletedUser

No, they`re not worth building... SP/HC defense beats everything else by a mile.

If you're not under attack at that point in time, substituting some spear for archers increases the defense strength by a fair amount, and they still stack at the same speeds.

DeletedUser

hi

so my second world with archers. i quit the first one early

anyways

are they worth building ?
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: as long as you balance them out with other units(and not do a stupid 1:1 sw/ar or sp/ar defense, archers can be very effective in adding strength to your defense. Further, if movement speed is a big concern for you, since they travel at the same speed as spears there is no penalty in your ability to shift your defenses from village to village.

I actually have a beautiful defensive strategy with sp,sw,arch,HC.
I believe is was
2000 HC
4800 Arch
2100 Sp
2100 sw
It breaks every rule, yet trains quickly, and provides a great defense. One that rarely ever gets cleared.
Hmmm, that is an interesting combo. I will have to run some sims with it and see hoe it does.

/counter facepalm

I second Lewder's /facepalm of you.

Did you actually do what you told Lewder to do? If the defense is made of a significant amount of archers, call it 1/4 or more, you will actually kill more of the defense with a nuke containing just 250 MA than you will with a regular LC/axe nuke. The difference are slight, but more noticeable as the percentage of archers rise. With a defense of 50% or more, MA are invaluable. Add to that the fact that they help balance the iron deficiency of a nuke build(not by a lot, but hey, every little bit helps) and you can see some benefit to using them. As long as you keep the numbers to below 500, you won't lose too much overall power from your nuke, nor will you increase your build time greatly.

Sp/HC defense is the weakest defense you can possibly build. Using it means you need to stack a village with more of your d villages to withstand the same onslaught. Granted it travels faster than a sword defense, but even if you use a sp/ar/HC combo you will find it much more effective, without the travel penalty of using swords.

If you're not under attack at that point in time, substituting some spear for archers increases the defense strength by a fair amount, and they still stack at the same speeds.
^This

I've always recommended that the best defense is the strongest one you can recruit. A sp/HC defense's build time does you no good if that defense just sits around after it is completed.

DeletedUser

I prefer Sp/Ar/HC with the weighting on Sp/Ar between 4:1 and 3:2 depending on the circumstances. Its a slightly slower and more expensive build than pure Sp/HC but it results in a higher HC count if the defense fully builds out and overall more defense. Additionally, archers are more useful in sniping nobles than spears.

DeletedUser

I second Lewder's /facepalm of you.

Did you actually do what you told Lewder to do? If the defense is made of a significant amount of archers, call it 1/4 or more, you will actually kill more of the defense with a nuke containing just 250 MA than you will with a regular LC/axe nuke. The difference are slight, but more noticeable as the percentage of archers rise. With a defense of 50% or more, MA are invaluable. Add to that the fact that they help balance the iron deficiency of a nuke build(not by a lot, but hey, every little bit helps) and you can see some benefit to using them. As long as you keep the numbers to below 500, you won't lose too much overall power from your nuke, nor will you increase your build time greatly.

I did. Here's my personal favorites...

No MA in nuke, heavy archer defense. :icon_wink:

Attacking with 6000 axe, 3000 LC, 300 Ram against 5000 archer/2500 HC

Defender deaths...4222 archer/2111 HC
Damage by rams:The wall has been damaged and downgraded from level 20 to level 9

With MA... :icon_twisted:

Attacking with 6000 axe, 2500 LC, 400 MA, 300 rams.

Defenderdeaths: 3942 archers 1971 HC
Damage by rams:The wall has been damaged and downgraded from level 20 to level 9

Interesting... :icon_eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Archers are vital to a strong defense, and MA are vital for killing archers....