Archers, are they worth building ?

DeletedUser

archers + swords is invincible imo..

That defense is extremely weak against cav and archers. (Cav nukes do better, though, simply because of their higher attack stat and the fact you can fit more of them in a nuke than MA.)

DeletedUser

well i just thought of it since archers are strong against cavalry and axes and it's weak against ma which is an archer but swords are strong against ma..so i guess that might be right..;)

DeletedUser31340

I don'k think archers are worth the res and time to make unless you have the Pally's Bow weapon. Even then, i aint to shure.

DeletedUser

my opinion is archers arn't needed much unless you have incomings and need something quick...it all depends on your playing style and what works best for you
i myself come from worlds where they mainly arn't used so i have adapted to not using them...others might like them

DeletedUser

my opinion is archers arn't needed much unless you have incomings and need something quick...it all depends on your playing style and what works best for you
i myself come from worlds where they mainly arn't used so i have adapted to not using them...others might like them

Archers are not the best quick defense for a couple of reasons. The first is that you get more out of your recruitment time by recruiting just spears and HC. Add to the fact that if you are just recruiting archers your defense will be more susceptible to MA attacks, and you can see why they are not the best solution for defense in a hurry.

DeletedUser

Two points that were made earlier in this thread:

Building MA doesn't make building go quicker. Yes you use less iron, but you should be able to farm enough to have rax + stable always running.

Time does matter, when you build cheaper and faster, you can mint more coins = more nobles = more villages which means more population available. Though if you don't have the nukes available to clear those villages, then minting more coins is less useful.
Just be flexible.

DeletedUser

Two points that were made earlier in this thread:

Building MA doesn't make building go quicker. Yes you use less iron, but you should be able to farm enough to have rax + stable always running.

Time does matter, when you build cheaper and faster, you can mint more coins = more nobles = more villages which means more population available. Though if you don't have the nukes available to clear those villages, then minting more coins is less useful.
Just be flexible.

But, as you say, you should be able to farm enough to cover both a full rax queue and coin minting. Especially with a pure infantry build since all units are being recruited in a single building.

DeletedUser

But it's a waste to leave the stable to do just nothing. It depends on what you do, but sometimes you don't have the luxury of waiting till your barracks fill the whole farm. Pure infantry is a bad idea, always.

DeletedUser

But it's a waste to leave the stable to do just nothing. It depends on what you do, but sometimes you don't have the luxury of waiting till your barracks fill the whole farm. Pure infantry is a bad idea, always.

It's only a waste if you need that defense before the time it is completed.

If your defense doesn't get used after your fast recruitment, then your fast recruitment was no advantage. And, fact of the matter is, the faster a defense's recruitment, generally, the weaker it is. So, not only does the recruitment speed not benefit you, you lose out on the possible power as well.

DeletedUser

This is always one of the most discussed topics...

But what I say?

Yes build them.

DeletedUser

It's only a waste if you need that defense before the time it is completed.

If your defense doesn't get used after your fast recruitment, then your fast recruitment was no advantage. And, fact of the matter is, the faster a defense's recruitment, generally, the weaker it is. So, not only does the recruitment speed not benefit you, you lose out on the possible power as well.

That's only the case when you never fight. Normally you will be using defense before the farm is full, even if it's not for yourself, you support tribemates, etcetera.

The defensive power in the end will be greater, but at any other stage while you are still producing troops the faster troop-production is stronger.

Then when your free population is used, you can either replace those troops for archers or swords, or you mint coins.

DeletedUser

That's only the case when you never fight. Normally you will be using defense before the farm is full, even if it's not for yourself, you support tribemates, etcetera.

The defensive power in the end will be greater, but at any other stage while you are still producing troops the faster troop-production is stronger.

Then when your free population is used, you can either replace those troops for archers or swords, or you mint coins.

It isn't if you never fight. It's if you never get attacked.:icon_idea:

Even with supporting tribemates, unless you are in a hella crappy tribe that is considered easy pickins by everyone else, you should have time to recruit stronger defenses. It is only when you are in a desperate situation that the fast recruitment becomes necessary.

And, yes, I speak from personal experience on both ends of the spectrum.

busamad

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
I have found when gaining a new area it is best to build SP H/cav just to get troops on the ground for local support.
Then once solid in the area a good mix of all 3 foot troops is a good option.

As for an all archer & H/cav D. I remember many players in W9 went down that path the answer was as mentioned players started building MA heavy nukes.

But always work out sims on a stack of at least 3 villages.
If I'm going 1 on 1 against a nuke I would rather dodge & snipe until the village could be stacked to save on the loss.

Also I like to change builds often so any stack is not 3 of the same village type at times it could use 5 villages worth of foot with no H/Cav used they are left mobile to both farm & for quick plug the gap support if needed.

DeletedUser

I found Archers+Spears where hard to wipe out early game/low point villages...after a few weeks and better players start to show up, yeah, archers are waste.