Basic Rules/Questions - Q&A

DeletedUser

oh shit i never knew you could say shit.

i am very mature

DeletedUser

Oh look, a sticky about ass holes and shit.

When would you ever use the word ass hole, if not to insult somebody? Unless you were actually talking about an anus I suppose.....

Also, regarding shit. I regularly use the word to describe the ability of players and tribes I dislike (or players and tribes I deem to be shit). Is that ok?

No.

Wtf is not allowed because the f-word is not allowed in any form.

And if you guys simply abuse this thread, I'll hand out infractions and remove it so that you all have more trouble following the rules :). You might want to pay attention to:

I don't want players continuously using profanity that's not infractable to an obscene degree

DeletedUser

No.

Wtf is not allowed because the f-word is not allowed in any form.

I was wondering, if we replace the f-word with the h, meaning: what the heck. That would be fine?

Ps: if wtf is not allowed (pardon me please for using it in this post, I'm just trying to get things clear), couldn't you start infracting like 90% of all regular posters on this forum?

I mean, it's just one of these standard shortcuts that gamers automatically use, without thinking. I always pay attention to not break any rules, since I understand these rules are here to help keep this community endurable. But I'm pretty sure I'll say this new forbidden shortcut quite often, without even knowing it. It's not bad will, it's just a word that's become a habit to use.

Well, I would say this wasn't interesting at all, yet I honestly don't think I'm the only person feeling that way. Also, it's not like children playing TW will immediately stop posting on the external forums, just because someone said wtf. And I doubt there would be anyone at all who would feel offended by someone saying wtf. I can understand where you're coming from, but I really believe you're taking it too far. My apologies if you think I am abusive for posting here argueing about a rule.

DeletedUser

I haven't seen alot of people get infracted for wtf, only if its overused (like anything). While it technically may be a flat out "no", I think if it's an obvious either accident, heat of the moment debate, etc most mods will be lenient, you may just get a warning. I accidentally call people stupid alot, but luckily most mods just give me a warning reminding me of the rules as they can see they were stupid it was an accident.

DeletedUser12180

The abbreviation of, most commonly, 'what the ****', though sometimes also 'who/why/when/where the ****'. When used with an exclamation point instead of a question mark, it becomes an exclamation of amazement, confusion, disbelief, ect.. It should 100% not be a reason for a infraction.. :icon_neutral:

Last edited:

DeletedUser

what i dont get is that (im assuming) these abreviations were banned so that younger players are not exposed to bad language. but it defeats that very purpose as for the younger player to read the abreviation they must already know/use the word themselves?

DeletedUser

what i dont get is that (im assuming) these abreviations were banned so that younger players are not exposed to bad language. but it defeats that very purpose as for the younger player to read the abreviation they must already know/use the word themselves?

haha yes i was thinking this.

DeletedUser

Well, its the same reason that a PG13 rating means no cussing, despite the fact that anyone who thinks the kids aren't exposed to it has never ridden a school bus.

DeletedUser

My question remains: Why is it such a big deal not being allowed to swear? You wouldn't swear in a public press conference, and if you take the forums as PnP platforms (not just spam) then you shouldn't swear here either. Can you imagine a politician in a debate with children watching swearing his head off trying to prove his point? He could be making the best, most brilliant case in the world but if he's carrying on with the swearing no-one will listen.

MarkHarrison

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
My question remains: Why is it such a big deal not being allowed to swear? You wouldn't swear in a public press conference, and if you take the forums as PnP platforms (not just spam) then you shouldn't swear here either. Can you imagine a politician in a debate with children watching swearing his head off trying to prove his point? He could be making the best, most brilliant case in the world but if he's carrying on with the swearing no-one will listen.

I don't need to imagine Politicians from Obama to Blair to Rudd swearing, the Internet is full of such:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/07/29/from-barack-obama-to-boris-johnson-the-top-10-swearing-politicians-115875-21556814/

Nonetheless, I suspect that the real mods will soon take the view that this isn't up for debate, the rules are clear, and we all have the normal choice, either obey them, or "do the crime, do the time" and take our infractions.

DeletedUser

Yet some of the most renowned speakers in the world have been known to swear, in order to reiterate and really emphasise a point. I nod you to MLK as one particularly famous example. I think when used in context, a curse word can being a certain degree of poignancy to a speech or in this case, a post. Sometimes, some words just aren't strong enough to do justice to the point you are trying to make.

DeletedUser

Well we should all gather on skype and make codes for *cough*..*cough** .. Well mod is noob a swear word ?

I had to ask something for not getting infracted j

DeletedUser

Yet some of the most renowned speakers in the world have been known to swear, in order to reiterate and really emphasise a point. I nod you to MLK as one particularly famous example. I think when used in context, a curse word can being a certain degree of poignancy to a speech or in this case, a post. Sometimes, some words just aren't strong enough to do justice to the point you are trying to make.

Most of the "swearing politicians" are slip of the tongues, they didn't write it into their speeches (essentially every post is a speech as you have time to write it, refine it, practice it, re-read it, edit it, etc), and the ones who do, use it with a purpose, to make a statement and I agree it can be powerful, however you simply can't rely on people to only use it when it's "justified" as most people can't grasp the concept of there being a context for swearing, so it is better to be a flat out "no", than to say "in some cases when used in context it's allowed". Can you imagine how much swearing there would be?

A politician can get away with it if it is used as a "shock" tactic, for example talking about an atrocity or war crimes or something, to reinforce how strongly he is against it. However, talking about tribes at war in a game to me is not justifiable for public swearing, and those politicians aren't likely to publicly say it more than once or twice in their entire careers. Posters here will swear every single post about nothing given half a chance, look at how many wanted to post in this thread just to try and get away with swearing for the sake of swearing?

MarkHarrison

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Jirki is only saying it's allowed if you're referring to the tribe in W38, not using the term in general. And if I'm not mistaken, the tribe is now gone :).

Erm, that was my point. I was agreeing that the banning of three-letter acronyms is consistently applied across all worlds.

WTF? still exists, but it is currently called BANED.... having initially been called BANNED because of that very post http://www.twstats.com/en38/index.php?page=tribe&id=17377

It's not the global powerhouse it used to be :)

MarkHarrison

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Most of the "swearing politicians" are slip of the tongues,

Really? Did you READ the link I posted? Did you play the video of Obama that was contained in it? Was all that just a slip of the tongue?

That having been said, the rules here are the rules, and no amount of arguing about them is going to change them.

DeletedUser

From now on, when I say WTF, I mean to say: What?!?!?! THE FRIES!!!!!!!

I have clearly stated that I do not mean any acronym to the F-word whatsoever. So clearly, it's now not restricted anymore to use the letters WTF, right?
I am simply referring to the fact that my fries have been stolen...

So I am not offending the rules then, am I correct?

DeletedUser

No, you are not correct :). Attempting to circumvent the rules by creating some form of tricky wordplay does not mean that the implied meaning of the acronym is still known. Would you put "GTFO" on a job application, and pretend that it means "Greatly Thankful For Opportunity"? Even if the application-reader knew that you said it meant that, I know that most people would still believe you were saying it as a joke, or a way to circumvent the true meaning of the word. Creating another meaning for the acronym does nothing to change that people will still read it as an infractable acronym, and the implied meaning is enough for it to still be breaking the rules :). If you wanted to talk about fries so much, you would circumvent having to post that in every post (because, keep in mind that not everyone would read the "disclaimer" about fries in this thread, or even any thread, because players sometimes only read one thread). If you did post it in every post on every thread you ever made, you'd solely be wasting time :icon_wink:. Clever attempt though :icon_razz:.

Now stop being silly.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Clever attempt though :icon_razz:.

Now stop being silly.

Sorry, I just couldn't resist it :icon_redface:

Yet I stick to the opinion that it is ridiculous to restrict an acronym like 'wtf'. Not only because it's such a commonly used phrase, not even because of the fact that even 4 year olds use it (for your argument of child friendliness on this forum), but just for the fact that the words WTF and not meant for the purpose of using the F-word. When I say WTF, I am not expressing that I am mad at someone, and neither am I (to my opinion) swearing or cursing. I am showing my surprised feeling. Now honestly, although the F-word is in it, I just can't believe this is in any way abusive, cursing, child unfriendly, or whatsoever.

I'm not asking to change the rules. That's not going to happen. I'm not asking to tell me yet again that it is forbidden and will remain forbidden. I know these things, yet I felt it necessary to express my opinion on this subject. Don't ask me why, but I did. I'm sorry if it bothers anyone.

DeletedUser

I'd highly suggest to anyone who wants to attempt to simply discuss the rules in here, and not ask for clarification on them, that you not post here :). The rules are rules for a reason, and simply posting opinions, if not disruptive in and of itself, can cause numerous unneeded arguments that do not relate to the world, and can cause disruptions in the community :). The rules are the rules, they will not be changed by discussions here with me, only clarified.