Book club

DeletedUser

Hi all.
Time for some of you to become civilized and well spoken:icon_eek:
(yeah like thats going to happen:icon_cry:)

Anyway, since we have a thread to discuss music and stuff, well i thought we did, I thought we could have a thread to discuss books.
The following are un-inclusive, Bill boards :icon_redface:, Magazines(like thats a book) and advertisements of any kind.
So everybody.
Just list your absolute favourite books and/or movies that go with them and leave a comment about them.
here everybody can be a critic(aslong as its constructive) and Please try and stay on topic.

I know how easy threads can be derailed and i really think this thread could be fun.

So i'll start anyway

My fav books are The Inheritance Cycle(Eragon, Eldest and Brisingr)
The movie was absolutely horrible and do not recommend watching it.
In short if you havent read the books, There about a young farm boy that was hunting in a dangerous area where he lives and he comes across what he assumes to be a rock.
So he brings it back to his farm and it turns out to be a dragon egg,
He starts to bond with the dragon, then some weird strangers turn up in town looking for the Stone(egg).
His uncle gets slain while Eragon wasnt at the farm and it leads him on a long journey for revenge against the creatures that killed his Uncle.
He soon meets up with the town story teller who happens to know quite abit about dragon lore but refuses to tell eragon how he knows it.
On there travels The story teller trains eragon in swordsmanship and Magic,
Shortly after he finds an elf in a prison that has been tortured, and so begins a race against the clock to save the elfs life.

I wont say anymore on it because the following bits are the best and i wouldnt want to spoil it too much.

My next fav's are TWILIGHT :icon_razz:
All of the series which includes,
Twilight, New moon, Eclipse and Breaking Dawn.

Long story short, Does NOT follow the normal myths of vampires and is a very good romance/little bit of action.
It really shows the effect some people have on others.
good for most type of readers but probably hard to understand for anybody under the age of 13.
The movies wherent that special really.
They cut Way too much out.
But if they didnt they would go for hours

So the movies are- Twilight and New moon
So far.
they are Kristen stewart and Robbert pattinson as the main characters.

I dont want to say to much on them because it is really a good book right from the beggining and dont want to give it away.

My next favourite book is(Drum role please)
Harry potter :icon_surprised:

I dont mind all of them but my favourite is Harry potter and the philosophers stone, harry Potter and the half blood prince and Harry Potter and the deathly hallows

Harry potter and the philosophers stone was great for kids into that sort of thing.
It was a good book and hard to put down.
once it got to Harry potter and the goblet of first it started to aim more towards mid teens around 14-16.
HP and the half blood prince and HP and the deathly hallows are great books.
Both very enticing, alot of action, romance and comedy.
There the best because they explain alot about what happened and happens.
the only draw back to HP is the ending.
They tryed to wrap it up well but still left some loose ends.

The moves were good, but again they had to cut stuff out Because if they didnt they would go for hours.
but like i said.
once the movies got to about the gobblet of fire they where more for mid teens-the rateing was M in australia.
they still capture alot of the action and comedy in the movies, but could show more of the romance :icon_wink:.

One of my other fav's is The keys to the kingdom Trilogy.(mister monday, Grim tuseday, Drowned wednesday, Etc)
Not a wide known book by Garth nix(Australian Author)
But it is a reall good fantasy for young kids to young teens.
Its about a kid(arthur penhaligon) that just moved to a new school and he stumbles accross an odd site of 2 strange looking people.
they planned to be there for him for some sort of ritual when he was suppose to die so that a "magical" key could be passed on without breaking a treaty.
I recon it was a great book by a barely known author.
His other books(more widely known) include sabriel, lirael and abhorsen.
Another triliogy about "magic"
And suited for mid teens(14-16)

Anyway, these where just my oppinions on some great books, but hey, i like my fantast. :lol:
And i am sorry about it being soo long.:icon_neutral:

DeletedUser

I have to agree with you on Eragon, Eldest and Brisingr, but thats is, if you are after a good set of books I would say go hunt down the Drenai series or the Rigante series, both are by a fella called David Gemmell, the one that did the Troy series to (not got round to reading them as yet). Bar from that another author I would recomend is Christopher Moore and the book Dirty Job, its a black comday book about death.

DeletedUser

Woah, this made me smile just a little :D:D

I'm not a big fan of Harry Potter or Twilight, HOW AMAZING! But.. in my youth (haha) I loved The Inheritance Cycle and I can't qwait for the next one!. Oh and The keys to the kingdom Trilogy was quite a good read... Jess the bookworm :p

Haven't read much lately but I used to read loads. Also like The Tomorrow Series by John Marsden and an assortment of books by John le Carré.

DeletedUser

Woah, this made me smile just a little :D:D

I'm not a big fan of Harry Potter or Twilight, HOW AMAZING! But.. in my youth (haha) I loved The Inheritance Cycle and I can't qwait for the next one!. Oh and The keys to the kingdom Trilogy was quite a good read... Jess the bookworm :p

Haven't read much lately but I used to read loads. Also like The Tomorrow Series by John Marsden and an assortment of books by John le Carré.

yes the tommorow series was recommended to me by my school librarian.

DeletedUser

What is The Tomorrow Series about? and the the kingdom Trilogy I only read the first one as thats all I could find, are the other two any good?

DeletedUser

What is The Tomorrow Series about? and the the kingdom Trilogy I only read the first one as thats all I could find, are the other two any good?

Well theres actually 6 books released in the kingdom triliogy.
there pretty good.
The 6 books are
mister monday
grim tuesday
Drowned wednesday
sir thursday
lady friday
superior saturday
lord sunday(not yet released)

They actually follow through with each other.
there not seperate storys.
when one ends its continued in the next book.
which is great.
I'm not sure about the tommorow series as i havent read it, yet. :icon_biggrin:

DeletedUser

I tried to summarise it but I realised I forgot the plot.. Maybe a bit of beach reading for the summer :)

DeletedUser

another good book is the hunger games.
really graphic i found.
I recently got the second to the series but i havent started ready it yet.

DeletedUser

Graphic... as in.. comic books? :p

I bum off Chris Kuzneski atm.

DeletedUser

Graphic... as in.. comic books? :p

I bum off Chris Kuzneski atm.

Not as in comic books.
It isnt a nice little picture book.
graphic as in, detail.
It really tells you what is happening.
When one of the charaters gets hit in the side of the head with a hammer its like you can imgaine it happening with great detail

DeletedUser

Does that mean it's really long winded and boring?

no way.
Its fast paced.
Its only a couple of hundred pages.
No more then 300.
I read it in a single day.
Its hard to put down.lol
I waited 3 months for the sequel to come out.

DeletedUser

Speaking of sequel.. Anyone know when the 4th inheritance cycle book comes out?

DeletedUser

Well I didn't do anything except read when I started on the third one.. 736 pages in about 2 and a half days + I'm a slow reader.

The benchmark is set high.

DeletedUser

Well I didn't do anything except read when I started on the third one.. 736 pages in about 2 and a half days + I'm a slow reader.

The benchmark is set high.

I'm reading eldest again right now.
Its a great book.
Just got to the part where the dragons do some funky stuff to him :)

DeletedUser

I was probably one the the biggest readers in high school. Unfortunately, university doesn't leave me with time for reading what I want. Now I have to read textbooks :(

Anyways, my family owns all the Harry Potter books and I probably read them all 2-4 times each :icon_eek:
Twilight I will probably never read although I think my sister has the books.
The Inheritance Cycle I've read. It was good
Never heard on the keys to the kingdom trilogy but anyone who writes six books and calls it a trilogy needs a new editor (/facepalm at lame joke)

Other than what you listed above, some other great series are:
Robert Jordan
-Wheel of Time series.

L.E. Modesitt Jr. I've pretty much read all of these
-The Corean Chronicles Series
-The Ecolitan Matter Series
-The Saga of Recluce Series
^ those are his best series.

Mercedes Lackey
-Obsidian Trilogy
-Dragon Jousters
-Enduring Flame Trilogy

Ted Dekker. Anything written by him is amazing.

Anyways, those are my favourites off the top of my head. I read a lot during the summers in high school. An hour a day a least (during breaks at work... half an hour lunch and two 15 min breaks).

But.. in my youth (haha)
oh please, you're even younger than I am :lol: