Book club

DeletedUser

My English teacher told me that he was gay.. You do know that right...?

I've read the Animal Farm, short and funny comparison to the Russian Revolution, considering I was doing it in History simultaneously I found myself laughing at it.

Did To Kill a Mockingbird for English coursework, 'twas an ok read I guess, wasn't enticing but it was fine, got me a B.

Lord of the Rings ARE the best series to be ever converted into films, I've read the books and watched the films, quite big bits are missing, but nevertheless 'tis ok in comparison with the crap that comes out derived from books these days (Twilight :icon_rolleyes:, Eragon etc)

The movie to eragon was shocking.
I really gotta read the lord of the rings trilogy.

DeletedUser54064

I haven't even seen that, got the game for the original Xbox, boy was I disappointed, didn't even get to the riding the dragon bit, took it back to the store and pretended it didn't work, got an even worse game in return - Reign of Fire.

Lesson: Never buy movie derived games.

DeletedUser

The movie to eragon was shocking.
I really gotta read the lord of the rings trilogy.

Technically it isn't a trilogy, though it is often published as such.

I have a full edition hard cover. :lol:

DeletedUser

The hobbit...?

If you read the books, it's a sequel. In the movies/books the story of The Hobbit is called "There and back again"

thebigt625

The hobbit...?

If you read the books, it's a sequel. In the movies/books the story of The Hobbit is called "There and back again"

The Hobbit is not a sequel, it is a prequel.

It took place before The trilogy and was written before the triolgy

In fact, The Lord of the Rings was written as a sequel to The Hobbit by popular demand for a sequel back in the day.

DeletedUser

The hobbit...?

actually jess...the Hobbit is a PREquel to the LOTR series...

hmmm...I should add some of my favorites but the list is quite extensive. we had a thread just like this and it got lost somewhere...

anyways...since i'm to lazy to dig it up i'll just re-post lol.

any book that michael crichton wrote is awesome. in my opinion one of the most informed and detailed authors in the science fiction genre. to bad he died recently...

just in case some of you uncouth illeterate neaderthals who have lived in a cave all your life don't know how great of an author he is...let's just say many of his books went to movies and are fairly good ones to such as...

Sphere
Jurassic Park
Lost world (sequel to Jurrasic park)
Timeline
Rising sun
Andromeda Strain

I also enjoy the many books that didn't make it to movies...yet...

Terminal man
State of fear (will blow your mind on the whole 'climate change' issue)
Prey
Airframe
Next (his last book before he died...)

As always if you think the movies are good wait until you read the book...the book is always better...or at the very least more detailed.

Dan brown is also a good author in my opinion. 'Angels and Demons', and 'The Da Vinci Code' being his most famous ones. in my opinion 'Angels and Demons' was a way better book. however; unlike most people who just read those i also read his other novels and I thoroughly enjoyed those as well. 'Digital fortress' and 'Breaking point' both very good novels as well. haven't had a chance to read newest book yet cause like pkiwarrior I am really busy with college as well. crazily enough trying to become a physician requires alot of textbook material reading which doesn't leave alot of time for me for 'pleasure reading'. however bus rides do allow me to catch up and read a good novel...when im not sleeping that is :lol:.

Trudi caravans 'The black Magician Trilogy' is a pretty good series as well. i'm actually reading a kind of pre-quel to the series called 'The magicians Apprentice' and so far it's pretty good.

The inheritance series is also very good.but I have to say that it seems like the 3rd book was just like a filler. nothing really really good like the frist 2...It seems like he kind of hit writers block when he wrote that book. Loved Eragon though and throughly enjoyed Eldest.

another good series for me was the Last olypian series as well. with books like 'the lightning theif' and 'sea of monster' very intreasting books and fun to read. I also enjoyed the play on greek mythology and how they relate it to modern life.

the Keys to the kingdom series by garth nix is also very good. I didn't get a chance to read sir Saturday yet though but I'm going to eventually. can't wait for the final book to come out so I can just by the entire series as one package and save some money...

of course you cannot fail to mention the harry potter series...i give mad props to J.K. Rowling for creating such a vivid world and keeping it up and not losing the details. I also enjoyed the books more because I got to kind of grow up with it...as I got older so did the books. I liked the fact that J.K. rowling stepped out of the disney genre where everything is all happy happy and got into some darker tendencies and backgrounds. very very mad though that she killed off Sirius though. Out of all the characters in the Harry potter series he was my favorite and I could relate to him the most...i would have rather had Ron weasly die then sirius...oh wells though...i'm not the author lol.

Then of course there is the Twilight series as well by stephanie myers...

after jess told me to read it and after many friends highly recommending it to me (mostly girls...) i read the entire series) Call me gay and whatever you want but i actually thought it was a fairly good book with a very intreasting plot. It was different from what I thought it was gonna be...although I really enjoyed the constant tension in all the books. I actually enjoyed the series so much that I bought another book by her called 'the host' which is a fairly good read as well. but then again I always enjoyed that scince fiction kind of stuff...

then there is also the maximum ride series by James Patterson which is a good read for young adults as well...although...I absolutely hate hate hate the ending...very very anti-climactic. but I digress...as James patterson has also wrote some other very good books like 'The Lake house' . he also has another series that is good for young adult readers as well called Daniel X. fairly intreasting and fairly out there lol.

another series I enjoy is the 'Enders game' series by Orson Scott Card. the first book is a little kiddie and is meant for younger readers but the twist is pretty good. their also a shadow story of it called 'Ender's shadow' which is also very good. however it is the books after that that really really make you think...books like 'speaker for the dead' 'xenophobia' ask good question like cultural differnces and good anthropology questions. then their the other side's serie like 'Shadow puppets' , and 'shadow of the giant' which is a pretty intreasting read for a possible future of the world. intreasting read if any of you are into politics.

God...their are many many more book then that and I know I'm neglecting a bunch but I'll try and get as much as i can in...

The Giver
Narnia Series
Wrinkle in time series
Lord of the Flies
Dante's Inferno
Artemis Fowl series by eoin colfer
The once and future King
1984 (I'm finally reading it after being told by many many people to read it)
Wringer
20'000 Legues under the sea
my brother sam is dead
rolling thunder hear my cry
Hatchet series by Gary Paulsen

and many many more...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Do you realise that if they did stick to the books while makeing the movies, they would go for atleast 5-10 hours.
seriously putting everything in.
now who in there right mind would sit that long to watch a movie.
and they didnt stick to the books when they made the harry potter movies.

In harry potter, they stuck to the plot. :icon_rolleyes:

DeletedUser

Jess has convinced me you're gay GA, what did she call you....GAy :D.

Trudi caravans 'The black Magician Trilogy' is a pretty good series as well. i'm actually reading a kind of pre-quel to the series called 'The magicians Apprentice' and so far it's pretty good.
Yeh i read that too. Was kind of annoying, as you just have to read the trilogy after it again. Good though.

DeletedUser

a trilogy is a set of 3.
How is LOTR not a trilogy?
A trilogy is a set of three related stories that stand alone for themselves. LotR does not stand alone. Yes, it is often published in three volumes, but thus a trilogy it does not make. Let me read to you the publisher's note that is printed in my hard cover full edition:

"The Lord of the Rings is often erroneously called a trilogy, when it is in fact a single novel, consisting of six books plus appendices, sometimes published as three volumes."

The hobbit...?

Yes, it's proper title is, The Hobbit: There and Back Again.

It is mentioned in the movies because it is the book that Bilbo is writing. He wished to include Frodo's adventures into the book that is about his own. It is not a sequel, nor is it a prequel, as a prequel would mean that it was a story written after another story, yet taking place prior to the first. It was written first, and so technically, The Lord of the Rings is a sequel to The Hobbit, not the other way around.

I wonder if anyone has read the Sword of Shannara series, written by Terry Brooks (I think). Now, that is a true trilogy with a true prequel as well. All four books stand on their own as stories. That is not the case with LotR.

DeletedUser

I wonder if anyone has read the Sword of Shannara series, written by Terry Brooks (I think). Now, that is a true trilogy with a true prequel as well. All four books stand on their own as stories. That is not the case with LotR.

Yeh I have. Was good, but Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' Series > Terry Brook's 'Sword of Shannara' Series.

Difference being, the former is based on the same set of characters in all 12 books (Richard, Kahlan etc.), whereas the latter, is based on different characters i.e. walker boh, grianne omsford etc.

EDIT: 'Sword of Shannara' isn't really a Trilogy tbh.

DeletedUser

Yeh I have. Was good, but Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' Series > Terry Brook's 'Sword of Shannara' Series.

Difference being, the former is based on the same set of characters in all 12 books (Richard, Kahlan etc.), whereas the latter, is based on different characters i.e. walker boh, grianne omsford etc.

EDIT: 'Sword of Shannara' isn't really a Trilogy tbh.

I'll have to look up the Sword of Truth series.

And, yes Sword of Shannara is a trilogy. That is my point exactly. Each story can hold up on it's own and can be read individually without having to read any of the others. Thats the difference between a trilogy, and a complete novel broken into volumes.

DeletedUser

Most of Marvel comics are good...
Ghost Rider, Iron Man, Thor, etc...

Star Trek and Star Wars books are good too, depending on the author.

DeletedUser

I'll have to look up the Sword of Truth series.

And, yes Sword of Shannara is a trilogy. That is my point exactly. Each story can hold up on it's own and can be read individually without having to read any of the others. Thats the difference between a trilogy, and a complete novel broken into volumes.

It's not.

There's:

'Shannara' which contains 4 books.

'The Heritage of Shannara' which contains 4 books.

'The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara' which contains 3 books.

'High Druid of Shannara' which contains 3 books.

There may even be more. How does that constitute a Trilogy? :icon_razz:

DeletedUser

It's not.

There's:

'Shannara' which contains 4 books.

'The Heritage of Shannara' which contains 4 books.

'The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara' which contains 3 books.

'High Druid of Shannara' which contains 3 books.

There may even be more. How does that constitute a Trilogy? :icon_razz:

The Sword of Shannara (which is none of the other series you just mentioned :icon_wink:) Was originally written as a trilogy. The prequel was added much later.

DeletedUser

The Sword of Shannara (which is none of the other series you just mentioned :icon_wink:) Was originally written as a trilogy. The prequel was added much later.

Oh right, that actually comes under 'Shannara' which is that + 'First King of Shannara'.

The series must just be the 'Shannara' series or something.

It's been a while since i read it, are all 4 books about the same group of characters?

DeletedUser

Oh right, that actually comes under 'Shannara' which is that + 'First King of Shannara'.

The series must just be the 'Shannara' series or something.

It's been a while since i read it, are all 4 books about the same group of characters?

The only character who appears in all four of them is Allanon (unless you want to count Allonon talking to the shade of Bremen as Bremen appearing, in which case Bremen is in all four as well.)

The main characters are all related, however, as, in the original three books they are all decendants of Jerle Shannara, and of the same family, the Ohmsfords.

DeletedUser

You read them all?

I'm currently re-reading the latest one's with Grianne Ohmsford, probably my favourite ones,