Break tactics and who benefits the most!?

Gorth Kirgar

I was just wondering what strategy you guys use during the break and what kind of players you think gain the most from the breaks.

Of course there are a multitude of different play-styles, but I'm simply putting them in three categories for myself:
The turtles, the farmers, the pointwhores.

My opinion:
1. turtles: They benefit the most, as they can basically just continue what they are doing without a setback.
2. Farmers: They are maybe on average, as they will still produce a lot of troops, where future potential farms are raising their pits. It will also be far easier to identify those farms without alarming them by having to send scouts.
3. Pointwhores: Doing what they were doing before, but are now easily identified as doing so.

I'm pushing troops myself and enjoy the fact that I dropped like 150 places in the rankings.
The market is great right now; where I had to sell 1k clay for 800 iron before, it's the other way round now.

This is my first stint in having to be active during the break too, and made some mistakes like getting a lot of pits raised, instead of just getting the timber camp raised.
The masters in this will have had that pumping and are trading to the max.

So what are your thoughts and your own tactics?

DeletedUser

Isn't the idea that everyone can have possibilities to find positive benefits when the conditions are supposed to be equal to everyone?

Well, then we have farmers that can find least benefits when there are no farms to farm.

DeletedUser

You generally should do stuff that feels slow with normal farming income.

By this I mean mainly build walls and smithies.

DeletedUser111495

Just build more LC a few days is not going to change too much, going to have alot of full barbs around to take advantage of soon.

DeletedUser65288

You should snipe and backtime the second before and after the breaks

Forgotten

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
My opinion is all attacks on holiday breaks should be subject to backtime and the chance to recap , a hit and run right before the break is just plain out wrong .....

mattcurr

lol the supposition just shows the OP has no idea how to play start up :X

How exactly does one push troops? To answer the question the only logical thing to do is keep a low hq low rax/stable and build up ques so you have constant ques throughout the break. So it benefits the player with half a brain who can plan properly

Last edited:

DeletedUser118784

Smash as many barbs as you can after the break and get all that loot.

-Mason

DeletedUser

lol the supposition just shows the OP has no idea how to play start up :X

How exactly does one push troops? To answer the question the only logical thing to do is keep a low hq low rax/stable and build up ques so you have constant ques throughout the break. So it benefits the player with half a brain who can plan properly

That sounds slightly suboptimal personally.

In my opinion it is nothing to do with the size of the queues but rather the building and unit count at the end of the break period. If your intention is to get the most troops, the most buildings in the shortest amount of time, then you should be after a certain point be aiming to keep your queues as short as you can manage. Think of the sweet spot where you just about keep constant queues enough to cover any time you have away from the computer. (This doesn't quite apply to the HQ, but to the Rax/Stables yes)

You are getting the same amount of absolute resources over the next three days regardless, therefore there is no point actually getting a full queue over the entire period. More important is, if we count the days prior, is how quickly the resources are being converted into currency. An extra unit or building out means an extra haul which allows you to upper that absolute limit that is set by your low hq, rax and stables. Of course this may mean there is no constant queue throughout the break, but a higher overall total at the end of the break.

I think the smart thing may be to just play it as if a break wasn't there prior to the break, queue what you can over the break and then be ready to haul as soon as the break ends. It's a little more complex than this because the hq, barracks and stables carry their own resource cost that lowers from your unit/building total, but the general point I am making I think stands.

Of course I haven't played start-up seriously for years and am probably wrong here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gorth Kirgar

You generally should do stuff that feels slow with normal farming income.

By this I mean mainly build walls and smithies.

Kinda like this idea. Wasn't able to use that during this break myself, but may pump that smithy up the next break if I have my recruitment queues full at a good pace.

DeletedUser116125

Only one of these went through....
XHHyQAb.png

Like why the hell would one of those go through but not the others.

mattcurr

Of course I haven't played start-up seriously for years and am probably wrong here.

Lame excuse for being wrong but wrong none the less. Aiming to keep your ques as short as you can only works without the break, if I idol my hq for a few hours I wasted the resources on the hq, and as with finances in real life 10 dollars now is worth 50?100? in 10 years, I forget there is a calculation for opportunity costs. Anyway if you calculate your ques to drop right as you can start farming again, that is optimal Id rather have a lower hq high mines low rax/stable, with the new building calculations the burst of resources out of break will allow you to build all those buildings you were behind nearly immediately in a proper order now and getting you to more troops and resources than anyone else. The long term stability of an account that needed less farming is also huge. As I illustrated in a previous world, check through my threads on resource optimization, you can make up for farming with mines in a hge way, I showed the inner workings of four accounts two who favored mines and were lazy and two who farmed and favored LC and offense. In the two pairs they were the same size and the ones who didnt favor mines and defense had the same coins and points while out farming the other accounts near 2:1, to show that going into the future though I didnt record this, while being rank 10 in the world I was the last person in the top 50 to hit 100 million res farmed. Meaning people farming every day gaining tens of millions more than me somehow ended up with less troops, and less villages.

Main reason? People put dumb ideas on paper like you did right there, the goal is to get the most troops exiting break? Gahh the point is to have a stable manageable account. If i have the most troops in the world, which is something I am capable of, or if I have the 30th most doesnt really matter, what matters is the battle plan and my teammates working together in a good system. If I can get the 30th most troops and have a more stable account when I start to noble I bet my bottom dollar Ill end up ahead of the other person 9/10.

devil667

Forget Christmas & middle easterns with mexican names, and bow down to the devil himself, for the fate of sinners lies in his hands! :icon_twisted:

DeletedUser111495

Forget Christmas & middle easterns with mexican names, and bow down to the devil himself, for the fate of sinners lies in his hands! :icon_twisted:

[video=youtube;fRKNC7p83d4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRKNC7p83d4[/video]