Change to archer setup

Do you like this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

One Last Shot...

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
I'd like to alter how archers are given 'strength' ingame to better reflect historical warfare.

Walls are essential for archers - otherwise they are easily over-run. As an example, in the alleged Battle of Troy, the Greeks couldn't get past the Trojan archers who held the gigantic walls. When they got past the wall, it became a slaughter.

So, I'd like to see this.

Archers to have a base defensive level that increases in line with the wall level at the start of each battle.

For example:

Archers behind a 20 wall would have 200% of their base defensive points.
Archers behind a 10 wall would have 100% of their base defensive points.
Archers in a village with a 0 wall would just have their base defensive points.

This would make archers become inextricably linked to wall levels and make them a more interesting choice of defensive unit.

For example, Village A has 20k archers behind a level 20 wall.

The first nuke hits them at 200% defensive strength but drops the wall to 19.
The second nuke hits them at 190% defensive strength as the wall was at 19 at the start of this battle. The wall drops lower.

This may or may not require a change to archer statistics.

EmperorFluff

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
this could be interesting, but I can't try it so it might not work. I'll stay neutral for now.

seroxy5

Reaction score
Interesting addition, although I think the numbers need to be tweeked or you will never get through a stacked village.

One Last Shot...

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Interesting addition, although I think the numbers need to be tweeked or you will never get through a stacked village.

I completely agree. The idea is that the archer stats (or percentages) would change to balance it out whilst still keeping the concept more game-changing on archer worlds.

That would be something that could only be worked out in Beta, so the numbers are purely as an example :)

EmperorFluff

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
ok I guess I'll vote Yes for this, but defense is already to powerful and this will make it more powerful

chanevr

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
Id like to see the archers get the same bonus on the inventory items at least. Like when you boost spears and swords... why not boost archers then. In line with the above. so its not permanent.. its when the buff is active.

AuroraMoon

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
the wall gives a defensive bonus depending on what level it currently is

how would the 200% bonus archer affect it??
also on the opposite end would Lc and axes get a penalty for coming across a wall?? (to the extreme do you end up retreating if cant get through that wall/gate)

One Last Shot...

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
the wall gives a defensive bonus depending on what level it currently is

how would the 200% bonus archer affect it??
also on the opposite end would Lc and axes get a penalty for coming across a wall?? (to the extreme do you end up retreating if cant get through that wall/gate)

Nice point about the opposite end. I was thinking more it would impact the Mounted Archers given they are the troops paired with archers.

The idea of the bonus archer effect is to make them far more powerful and weak depending on the wall level. So the wall effect would stay the same for all other units aside from 'ranged' ones, where there would be bigger boosts positively and negatively dependant on the wall level.

Deleted User - 11501214

Nice point about the opposite end. I was thinking more it would impact the Mounted Archers given they are the troops paired with archers.

The idea of the bonus archer effect is to make them far more powerful and weak depending on the wall level. So the wall effect would stay the same for all other units aside from 'ranged' ones, where there would be bigger boosts positively and negatively dependant on the wall level.
Mounted archers are already pretty out of meta where I´m playing. If mounted archers get worse against archers -what they would if archers get buffed when the wall is above 10 which it is in most cases- the unit will probably just enitrely vanish.

Generally I dislike the idea of making the battling system even more complicated than it already is. And making the strength of a unit vary depending on wall level would definitely do that.

busamad

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
I think something needs to be done with the archer & mounted archer. not used very well now with pally support & boosts not helping either.
However with small worlds not as many nukes flying around so could make this very frustrating.
Maybe as max of 15% going up if pally present with spear sword 4/4 say upto a max of 45%

But its worth looking at.