China ... a threat or not a threat?

DeletedUser96141

hey guys, been a loooooooong time.

I have a question, im having a debate soon and the motion is 'This House Believes That China's military rise is a threat to world peace' and i am opposing this motion. It would be really good if you could help me by giving evidence why i am right

reza

DeletedUser

China can't breathe without the US cracking down. China will not risk nuclear war, and hence will not make any overtly military moves. Instead, they may well simply retain their dominance as an economic superpower, instead of challenging the US, and wait for the US to collapse in on itself.
Or ask Mandos for more information.

DeletedUser

Using the US military as a base point, you could say that even if China were to continue its military growth, it would still be less of a threat to other countries than the US.
Also consider that China uses a far smaller portion of its government expenditures and population in its military. It could be conservatively stated that China is only taking reasonable precautions to the defense of its territory considering the frienemies it has in the world community.

DeletedUser96141

Yeah i do know that US is a bigger threat but what i am trying to prove is that china is not a threat to anybody

DeletedUser

China stands more of a threat to the world economically than they do with military.

DeletedUser

China stands more of a threat to the world economically than they do with military.

As a Chinese, I disagree. China economies is in danger of collapsing. We rely too much on exports and appsrantly lack the technology to keep up other developing countries. With the increasing cost for production, nearby countries are starting to take our business away from us with lower price.

Asylum Escapee

I would argue that the US is facing a larger economic crisis. China's education system is getting stronger, the in the U.S. they cannot fill many highly paying technical jobs, even in this period of high unemployment. To make things, worse, many of the companies cannot hire foreign employees because it would look bad, even though no Americans that are capable can be found.

China may not be as good at innovation, but they are still the best at finding out how to take western technology and make it for a fraction of the price. Although yes, they are getting some competition for this market recently.

And to answer the military bit, I wouldnt say so. The U.S still spends by far the most on military than any other country. China may have a bigger army but these things dont matter as much these days.

DeletedUser

China has been artificially inflating its currency in order to keep manufacturing costs comparatively low. Thats why there's a debate on whether or not they need to be declared currency manipulators.

The issue its running into right now is the population wants to import goods now. While having a highly inflated currency can give an advantage in exports, its not good for imports and result in higher consumer prices (in china) and trade deficits.
The chinese economy simply wasn't designed for a middle class. They're going to have to outsource production to countries with an even more inflated currency to remain stable.

More likely, they'll allow the value of the yuan to increase naturally and the world will start to look to Africa and South America for manufacturing. And by the time they grow a middle class, we should hopefully have automated most production enough to make it not matter.

DeletedUser

I don't see China starting the wars. History dictates that they might join forces with a forigen power within the region, say Iran if the U.S ever takes it that far.

MasterFire

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
If the economy gets bad, China is going to have a problem just like most countries. Especially them because the only thing they survive on is export. The only consistent countries in this world are in Africa, but that's because they are consistently bad.

You cannot expect China to do better while the rest of the world gets worse, because as a giant economic power you will get affected by what happens in other parts of the world, no matter how strong your position in it.

DeletedUser

If the economy gets bad, China is going to have a problem just like most countries. Especially them because the only thing they survive on is export. The only consistent countries in this world are in Africa, but that's because they are consistently bad.

You cannot expect China to do better while the rest of the world gets worse, because as a giant economic power you will get affected by what happens in other parts of the world, no matter how strong your position in it.

Australia are pretty consistent

MasterFire

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
Australia is nowhere near as big of an influence to the worlds economics as China is.

Herucles

I like Chinese food? So I guess they are not a threat? (But then again one of my friends got food poisoning from chinese once, so I don't know :/).