Christamas story from Hompsu... think about it.

slinkiestwizard

I must say i find it quite funny so many religions celebrate holidays at this time of year, and many celebrate the same holiday following somewhat different beliefs all based with the same undertones.

Wars have been fought over religious beliefs forever, the word belief is the only true common word that should be taken from any text. Everyone needs something to believe in.Any religious book is a story written by different people and put together to form a belief.Belief is what gives a person strength.Nobody should be judged for there belief, yet it happens all over the world everyday.I believe every religion has its roots that in some way must have contained substance.

If they didnt have some strong followers these religions would have died. Christianity was formed on the roots of Hebrew faith.The Hebrews followed the old testament, where as Christianity followed the new testament in later times to bury the roots of there ancestry.

(Yes flame me , i know it goes deeper than that but im not squeezing 2000 years into a post)
Im Russian orthodox , My father was Catholic he converted. The Orthodox faith is very similar to the Catholic faith aside from the point the orthodox faith follows the Old testament.

When married i had a high mass, 2 1/2 hours long married by the bishop.(for anyone who has see the Movie the deer hunter and remebers the service and the crowns being held above the bride and grooms head , well there you go) .

So to go back to my initial point i believe all religions derived from 1 belief, some may have gotten buried by larger followings but lets be real it had to start somewhere .

Even people who dont believe in a faith need something to belive in even if its not to believe,its what makes us all stronger and helps us get out of bed when we know the day is going to suck.

Scholars write books on this subject who are better informed than all of us , yet they are told they are wrong, it still comes back to what you believe in.The Catholic church was formed from many different beliefs and followings to unite many different beliefs and followings. Its easier to control the masses when they are unified.

I can go one step further with this Biblical origins of Ancient egypt :
http://home.austarnet.com.au/calum/egypt.html

And i can go one step further with the Ars medicinae or Articella,all from the Codex Giga.For those who dont no this is a manuscript are eight medical texts Five are a collection of Greek and Byzantine texts.The other three are by Constantine the African, an 11th century monk.
The book is more comonly known as the devils Bible written in the 13th century and contains the old testament and some of the new.

So if theres a christ there must be an Antichrist the bible says so. See i just gave everyone something to believe in. I believe ill go have another beer

DeletedUser

A Christmas topic to debate!!!

Since we are all throwing opinions out there, let me give you mine. Christmas is not about Jesus at all, in fact it has pagan origins (look it up). It is funny that when Jesus walked the earth he avoided pagan holidays that celebrated anyone but his father yet Christians celebrate a pagan holiday as the birth of Jesus.

What Christmas is a huge way for businesses to make money. The amount of greed I see when I go to stores during this time of year is unbelievable. People say Christmas is supposed to be a time of peace, family, and caring for fellow man. But the days building up to that day are full of people shoving others out of the way to get that 1 gift for their spoiled kid while someone elses gets disappointed or how people have gotten trampled on even to death because of some Black Friday sale. I believe in Jesus as god's son and my guess is he is embarressed to see how people act during this time of year all while "supposedly" bringing Jesus honor. You want to bring Jesus honor and obey him? Then read in the bible what he taught his followers to do when he was on earth. No where did he say we were to celebrate his birth but rather we were to celebrate his death which meant so much to mankind. You want to give your kid a gift? The best gift you can give any child is your love and time. Instead of busting your butt trying to earn an extra dollar to spend on him/her, take a day off and spend it with your child.

Feel free to flame me or debate me. You can all debate about Jesus and different religions but it all boils down to how we treat each other. Almost every religion out there teaches a basis on how we should treat others, how about if we all just follow that? Especially Blonde, that guy could use a hug. :icon_biggrin:
Amen.

DeletedUser

A Christmas topic to debate!!!

Since we are all throwing opinions out there, let me give you mine. Christmas is not about Jesus at all, in fact it has pagan origins (look it up). It is funny that when Jesus walked the earth he avoided pagan holidays that celebrated anyone but his father yet Christians celebrate a pagan holiday as the birth of Jesus.

What Christmas is a huge way for businesses to make money. The amount of greed I see when I go to stores during this time of year is unbelievable. People say Christmas is supposed to be a time of peace, family, and caring for fellow man. But the days building up to that day are full of people shoving others out of the way to get that 1 gift for their spoiled kid while someone elses gets disappointed or how people have gotten trampled on even to death because of some Black Friday sale. I believe in Jesus as god's son and my guess is he is embarressed to see how people act during this time of year all while "supposedly" bringing Jesus honor. You want to bring Jesus honor and obey him? Then read in the bible what he taught his followers to do when he was on earth. No where did he say we were to celebrate his birth but rather we were to celebrate his death which meant so much to mankind. You want to give your kid a gift? The best gift you can give any child is your love and time. Instead of busting your butt trying to earn an extra dollar to spend on him/her, take a day off and spend it with your child.

Feel free to flame me or debate me. You can all debate about Jesus and different religions but it all boils down to how we treat each other. Almost every religion out there teaches a basis on how we should treat others, how about if we all just follow that? Especially Blonde, that guy could use a hug. :icon_biggrin:

Where you drunk or under influence when you wrote these spiritual words? :O

Nah lol, nicely said. It's not about the presents (birthdays are XD) its just going to family, have a nice dinner there or gourmet or something. And enjoy it. We don't do much more :p

DeletedUser

Then again, if we wnted to purge all the old german religious traditions (I don't use the word "pagan", because it's a wildly inaccurate term) we'd have to change the name of the days of the week as well :icon_eek:

Using the term pagan is completely accurate. Christmas has it's roots to pre Christ which is long before Germany existed. It can be traced as far back to the Babylonian celebration of the Goddess of Nature. Rome had a similiar celebration to observe the Winter Solctice (Saturnalia). The Northern Europe version was called Yule, which is celebrating a pagan sun god. Germany gets credit for starting the earliest version of a "Christian" celebration with a tree was started around 1521. While Germans can be credited with the earliest version of the Christian form of Christmas it still has pagan origins.

DeletedUser

Using the term pagan is completely accurate. Christmas has it's roots to pre Christ which is long before Germany existed. It can be traced as far back to the Babylonian celebration of the Goddess of Nature. Rome had a similiar celebration to observe the Winter Solctice (Saturnalia). The Northern Europe version was called Yule, which is celebrating a pagan sun god. Germany gets credit for starting the earliest version of a "Christian" celebration with a tree was started around 1521. While Germans can be credited with the earliest version of the Christian form of Christmas it still has pagan origins.

Get off Wikipedia goddammit!

DeletedUser

No, it's not. The term pagan simply means "not christian". There were/are many different religions that are not christian but have no resemblance to each other either.

Using the term pagan is (in my opinion) intellectually lazy.

DeletedUser

No, it's not. The term pagan simply means "not christian". There were/are many different religions that are not christian but have no resemblance to each other either.

Using the term pagan is (in my opinion) intellectually lazy.

The term pagan fits perfectly as the origins of Christmas is not Christian. Germans did not come up with Christmas, they only started some of the traditions of Christmas that we see today.

Charles, feel free to call me "intellectually lazy" but you are the one taking one small part of my post and arguing over it completely missing my entire point.

DeletedUser

But, the origins of Christmas have nothing to do with the shamanistic religions of pre-European North America either, but those were still a "pagan" religion. Nor does it derive from Hindu traditions, another "pagan" religion.

Now, I'll clarify something, the origins of the word pagan.

Originally, pagan was used to describe a non-Christian religion or people who had not heard about Christ. So, it wasn't entirely their fault that they weren't following the "proper" religion - yet. This term was juxtaposed with infidels (derived from the Latin word for unfaithful) who were non-Christians who had heard about Christ but chose not to be Christians - ie. Muslims and Jews, and heretics who worshipped Christ in the wrong way - eg. Arians and protestants. So, the term pagan was an early medieval term for dumbass, heretic meant evil people and infidel meant really evil people.

Last edited by a moderator:

slinkiestwizard

like the Druids?

Originally, pagan was used to describe a non-Christian religion or people who had not heard about Christ. So, it wasn't entirely their fault that they weren't following the "proper" religion - yet. This term was juxtaposed with infidels (derived from the Latin word for unfaithful) who were non-Christians who had heard about Christ but chose not to be Christians - ie. Muslims and Jews, and heretics who worshipped Christ in the wrong way - eg. Arians and protestants. So, the term pagan was an early medieval term for dumbass, heretic meant evil people and infidel meant really evil people.
Jews never heard of christ?

And i though Pagans were false idol worshipers who followed anything that floated there boat on any given day geez

And theres a proper religion? this brought on by an atheiest

Last edited:

DeletedUser

hompsu - please take a writing course prior to ever posting something of any significant length.
(or at least put a little effort into it.)

thats racist to christians, and im a christian so stop it
Nothing to do with Racism. I think you might be looking for the word Prejudice, although it still doesn't fully apply.
Did you know that Christ wasn't born on Christmas day?
Duh, but who cares. Besides there's a 1/365 chance that he was, so maybe he was maybe he wasn't. You don't for sure he wasn't born that day, just like what's his name doesn't know if he was.
Btw, Santa or Christ? What is the difference? Both fictional anyway...
Slacking blondy? don't usually find you on my "silly post list" but hey.
Both are actually historical people who walked the earth at one point in time.
The Christ (AKA the Jesus) was actually a person who lived ~2,000 years ago, although his exact birth year isn't known it is confirmed by historical and archeological research to have been within 15 years of either side of the year 0. Who people have made him out to be may not be real, but the actual person named Jesus did live.
Santa, (AKA St. Nicholas) again was an actual person, don't remember his birth year off the top of my head, but did actually give things to people (not necessarily nicely rapped presents though), tradition even holds that he did at one time drop a pouch of coins down a chimney for a girl to help pay her dowry (Probably where we got the "comes down the chimney" tradition). Again, who people made him out to be today may not be real, but Old st. Nick did actually exist.
(I saw that you were already corrected on this, but you being the argumentative type aught to have been more careful and thus deserve to be told again ;)
The term pagan simply means "not christian".
Actually the term "pagan" first meant "urban" used for someone who lived in an urban area, as christianity at the very beginning started primarily in a rural area, and as the urban people were mostly non-christian (or at least not yet, christianity later grew quickly in cities.) the term pagan (urban) began to be associated with non-christian.
So, yes, now-a-days the term does mean non-christian, although that was not it's original meaning.
And theres a proper religion? this brought on by an atheiest
He placed quotation marks around "proper."
Learn the implied meaning >.>

DeletedUser

The BOB DOVER prize for "best post" goes to Rednecks.
Good integration of his personal belief system, solid post purpose, well written, good punctuation, grammar, and few run-on sentences.

And no, the selection of this prestigious prize was not entirely without bias.
Although I may not agree with EVERYTHING Red said, I will not argue against the fact that the world would be a better place if a few more people tried to live like Jesus taught (not to be confused with the teachings of some of his followers). Some of what Jesus taught was: be peace makers, love everyone even your enemies, value mercy, care for the sick and helpless, and be a friend to those who have none. Dang, that would help with a few of our world's problems, bye bye war, sexism, racism, prejudice in general, starvation, poverty, disease, and psychological development of psychopathic serial killers.

No it wouldn't get rid of everything, as long as humans exist I don't think these problems will ever completely go away. But if a few more people tried a little harder at following some of these ideas, it would take the edge off of this world's problems.
That's my professional opinion.

DeletedUser

The BOB DOVER prize for "best post" goes to Rednecks.
Good integration of his personal belief system, solid post purpose, well written, good punctuation, grammar, and few run-on sentences.

And no, the selection of this prestigious prize was not entirely without bias.
Although I may not agree with EVERYTHING Red said, I will not argue against the fact that the world would be a better place if a few more people tried to live like Jesus taught (not to be confused with the teachings of some of his followers). Some of what Jesus taught was: be peace makers, love everyone even your enemies, value mercy, care for the sick and helpless, and be a friend to those who have none. Dang, that would help with a few of our world's problems, bye bye war, sexism, racism, prejudice in general, starvation, poverty, disease, and psychological development of psychopathic serial killers.

No it wouldn't get rid of everything, as long as humans exist I don't think these problems will ever completely go away. But if a few more people tried a little harder at following some of these ideas, it would take the edge off of this world's problems.
That's my professional opinion.

Thanks! It is nice to see a few on here that actually read what I wrote and figured out my point.

This time of year advertises peace on earth and goodwill towards all mankind. It would be nice to see more people live by this all the time versus 1 day a year.

slinkiestwizard

Santa, (AKA St. Nicholas) again was an actual person, don't remember his birth year off the top of my head, but did actually give things to people (not necessarily nicely rapped presents though), tradition even holds that he did at one time drop a pouch of coins down a chimney for a girl to help pay her dowry (Probably where we got the "comes down the chimney" tradition).

actually thought saint nick was born dec 6th 280 in Myra now turkey. dont think he dropped gold coins but i think there was a story of shoes being made for poor children

DeletedUser

Slacking blondy? don't usually find you on my "silly post list" but hey.
Both are actually historical people who walked the earth at one point in time.
The Christ (AKA the Jesus) was actually a person who lived ~2,000 years ago, although his exact birth year isn't known it is confirmed by historical and archeological research to have been within 15 years of either side of the year 0. Who people have made him out to be may not be real, but the actual person named Jesus did live.
Santa, (AKA St. Nicholas) again was an actual person, don't remember his birth year off the top of my head, but did actually give things to people (not necessarily nicely rapped presents though), tradition even holds that he did at one time drop a pouch of coins down a chimney for a girl to help pay her dowry (Probably where we got the "comes down the chimney" tradition). Again, who people made him out to be today may not be real, but Old st. Nick did actually exist.
(I saw that you were already corrected on this, but you being the argumentative type aught to have been more careful and thus deserve to be told again ;)

LOL, sorry Bob, I know. I should have written that second part right alongside the first remark. But this makes a far better conversation. Otherwise it would have stopped right there perhaps. ;-)

DeletedUser

sigh! So MANY negative people and negative feedback from people.

DeletedUser

Thanks to the ones that have posted positive and intelligent feedback even if you don't agree with religion and christ.