Christmas Attack Break...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomberace101

We are bound to have another attack break this year just like the last, I was wondering what peoples opinions are of it and who they think will benefit the most.

Also what you plan on doing without worrying about the burden of logging in over christmas and new year.

DeletedUser

i am actualy glad i can have good x-mas and new year without worrying that some apoc narb will time attacks right at 0:00 my time >.>

DeletedUser

I feel that there should not be a attack break for xmas as it is prejudicial in favor of christianity and other "christ" religions over other religions. I do not see attack breaks for any Buddhist or Shinto or Pagan holidays. So out of fairness towards other religions one should not be favored over another.

Hmmmmmmmm now I need to find out what sambreros time zone is, heehee.

DeletedUser40757

I feel that there should not be a attack break for xmas as it is prejudicial in favor of christianity and other "christ" religions over other religions. I do not see attack breaks for any Buddhist or Shinto or Pagan holidays. So out of fairness towards other religions one should not be favored over another.

Personally, I could care less about the attack break, I just wish they would hurry up and announce it, or start the poll, as a majority of the attacks that we have to launch are 300+ hours, so the advance warning would be nice :icon_smile:
Even though I hate ww2 references in a medieval themed online game, it is fitting because this is a game run by a german country, and a majority of .net players are american.

As to it being prejudicial, I'm fairly certain there are some pagan holidays that occur right around that time, since christians did a fair amount of "holidayjacking" around then...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser40757

We are bound to have another attack break this year just like the last, I was wondering what peoples opinions are of it and who they think will benefit the most.

Also what you plan on doing without worrying about the burden of logging in over christmas and new year.

Not log in! Heresy!!! full villages will await those grey red villages when the attack break is over..

DeletedUser

brb,
hanukkah in 6 days.

I feel if they want to turn the attack break on, it should be up to each player to decide if they want to be part or not.

They have several abilities to do such that are already in the code:

To turn on nighttime bonus like the UK server does.

Allow for a sleep mode setting where people determine the *days (or hours)* they want to be in sleep mode.

----
Or just make a blanket 'its christmas, we're going to assume everyone english speaking is a christian and wouldn't want to play during that one holiday!'

I'm not saying ignore Christmas or other holidays, but if you are going to allow people to get some benefit, allow them to have a choice of what time they want some defense boost so we arent just picking a single faith or such.

DeletedUser

I believe that the common idea among morthy and the others who decide when to offer holidays is that the majority of players celebrate Christmas.

I'm not up on my statistics here, but I'm guessing that the majority of Europe and America celebrate Christmas. It is such a big event that it would simply be unwise to not offer a break. You don't have to be religious to celebrate Christmas.

As with it showing favor to one religion, that I feel is complete rubbish o_O

If it was ever proposed by a large group of players to get a new holiday then I am sure morthy and the others would consider making it happen.

Now, in true holiday fashion, I give you the holiday smiles!

:xmas cool: :xmas rolleyes: :xmas confused: :xmas redface: :xmas biggrin: :xmas mad: :xmas wink: :xmas frown: :xmas tongue: :xmas eek: :xmas smile:

DeletedUser

The main argument last year was that the game mods wanted a holiday as well. That I think is a valid reason, but then the whole point of the poll fell out.

DeletedUser

" As with it showing favor to one religion, that I feel is complete rubbish o_O"

I'd take a guess that you are christian and that the holiday thus has a religious meaning to you.

I celebrate it because it is a hiliday and everyone else does and I like turkey so will be cooking a turkey again and giving presents to others in the spirit of a holiday of giving. I will not be celebrating it for it being a religious holiday as is my right, as is the right of everyone.

Having one faiths holidays forced on people in favor of other faiths holidays isn't right. I'm not sure and really don't care either way anymore but aren't there as many or more Buddhists or Moslems in the world today as there are christians and if so or even if the numbers are thus they they would also be considered major religions (I'm being sarcastic here as they are and have as much right to be celebrated as such as any religion) and with the consideration of them as major religions then they should also have their major holidays celebrated. Along with the Chinese New Year as opposed to the Western New Year.

DeletedUser

" As with it showing favor to one religion, that I feel is complete rubbish o_O"

I'd take a guess that you are christian and that the holiday thus has a religious meaning to you.

I celebrate it because it is a hiliday and everyone else does and I like turkey so will be cooking a turkey again and giving presents to others in the spirit of a holiday of giving. I will not be celebrating it for it being a religious holiday as is my right, as is the right of everyone.

Having one faiths holidays forced on people in favor of other faiths holidays isn't right. I'm not sure and really don't care either way anymore but aren't there as many or more Buddhists or Moslems in the world today as there are christians and if so or even if the numbers are thus they they would also be considered major religions (I'm being sarcastic here as they are and have as much right to be celebrated as such as any religion) and with the consideration of them as major religions then they should also have their major holidays celebrated. Along with the Chinese New Year as opposed to the Western New Year.

I'm not a Christian no. I celebrate Christmas because I like the atmosphere it creates and because of the fact we get presents, turkey, mistletoe etc.

I think another thing with the new year is that the majority of players are western therefore making the chinese new year for the minority.

DeletedUser

Only problem being is the westerners get to rape the easterners during their new years holiday so it is only fair that the easterners get to rape the westerners during their holidays and the only way to make it fair is to acknowledge all holidays or none or some from each. So xmas shouldn't be favored over others as it gives those who celebrate it an unfair holiday over those who celebrate otherwise who do not get a special holiday.

DeletedUser

or better yet give everyone a 3 day pass for each year it has to be planned out at least 90 or preferably 120 days in advance and is common knowledge for everyone else to see and they can then pick their 3 days worth of holidays every year them own selves as they see fit where they can't be attacked.

Or some such variant.

DeletedUser

So I asked the mod room and....

*suspense*

Morthy: we dont have a christmas break
Morthy: we have a holiday break

DeletedUser

LOL nice play on words for their response. Thank you for trying though Truscott.

bomberace101

truscott you may want to change the thread title to holiday break then as not to caus offense :)

DeletedUser

It isn't an offense issue bomber in fact I think this thread was a good idea. It is an issue of if they are going to recognize one culture, religion, nationalities, whatevers, holidays or festivals then they should either recognize others from other places or to be fair recognize none from any. OR like I said give people a floating option that they can set up several months in advance to apply to them so they may celebrate whatever they want and not have their holidays be excluded while being forces to recognize someone elses.

I can remember last year we were feasting on a player that I later found out was off celebrating Chinese New Year with his family. I can remember thinking that it was not fair that he was forced to recognize western holidays while we tore him up during his holiudays.

DeletedUser

So I asked the mod room and....

*suspense*

Morthy: we dont have a christmas break
Morthy: we have a holiday break

A holiday break that covers what other major religions or holidays?

Does some religion have holiday on the Winter Solstice? (dec 21st)
Are we getting a break for the entirety of Kwanzaa? (Dec 26th-1st)
I'll ignore Hanukkah since it starts in 6 days...

If we are getting off for Western New Years what about Rosh Hashanah? Or Chinese New Year? Or a various amount of other faiths, cultures, etc.

The holiday season is Christmas and Christmas only for TribalWars.
I know Morthy doesnt want to see politically incorrect but when you dont have breaks for other holidays it is a hollow reason.

DeletedUser

MacMan, you forget Ramadan. That´s a whole month of leisure time, where we could all be building our pretty villages.

DeletedUser

Nothing I say here will persuade you otherwise will it Mac?

We have a holiday break because the majority of our players/staff are from the west and therefore visit families and friends over the holidays that lead up to the western new year.

This game would fall apart if there was no staff and for that reason alone we have enough ground to hold a break. And as staff we have the ability to book holidays whenever we wish. Usually another mod will just fill in for the one on holiday. Therefore allowing over religious holidays to be honored. However as we nearly all go away over Christmas it isn't feasible to just shuffle staff about.

Status
Not open for further replies.