Christmas

DeletedUser

This will probably get move to general discussion, however I would like to wish each of you a Merry Christmas. We've all have made some good friends and had alot of laughs. I know Im probably going to gain a few pounds over the next couple of weekends with Turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce, deviled eggs, green beans, and possibly some good ol home grown corn from this past summer. This is my favorite time of the year. Not for the gifts, but for the brief time that everyone in the world seems to get along as we celebrate. Makes a person wonder, if the world can get along for a couple days at the end of the year, whats wrong with the other 363? I hope everyone has a safe and joyous Christmas weekend. God Bless....

DeletedUser

love you too art:) great post and i hope you enjoy yourself

DeletedUser71844

Yeah let's celebrate christmas while we can. Who knows when the liberals will boycott Christmas.

Michael Wittman

Oh god you have to take it there. Of course you can always celebrate christmas however you want in your own home or with like minded people. Other people see things differently and your view is no more valid than theirs.

I think the liberals problem is with making others accept views which they don't personally hold.

How about I start a new religion and tell everyone this is how we celebrate christmas and everyone else is wrong. Anyone can believe what they want, just don't force beliefs on others. Or am I trying to force a view of tolerance? Lol

DeletedUser

Oh god you have to take it there. Of course you can always celebrate christmas however you want in your own home or with like minded people. Other people see things differently and your view is no more valid than theirs.

I think the liberals problem is with making others accept views which they don't personally hold.

How about I start a new religion and tell everyone this is how we celebrate christmas and everyone else is wrong. Anyone can believe what they want, just don't force beliefs on others. Or am I trying to force a view of tolerance? Lol

idk but ill join you as i hold no faith:)

DeletedUser

Xmas is a capitalist creation.
Me falow Saint Nikolai day :)

DeletedUser

Merry Christmas to you all :xmas smile:
I hope everybody get lots of presents - enjoy the company with friends &/or family and eat a lot of good food :p
Cant wait for the last part myself lol :xmas cool:

DeletedUser79042

Thiz iz ein churched world :) So, merry Xmas everyone !!

Xmas Robot out :)

DeletedUser

Christmas is just another excuse to get smashed. And i like getting smashed :)

DeletedUser

Most sensible thing I've heard you say and couldn't agree more. Kudos.

DeletedUser

I think what he was trying to say was a good thing.

Christmas is a Christian holiday that is celebrated around the world in regards to the birth of Jesus Christ. It is a religious holiday period and no other entity or person has a right to change it to how they see fit. You either believe in Jesus and celebrate for that or you don't believe and don't celebrate.

For those who wish to try and make it a secular holiday, I can only say why do you pick on that day for? How come you don't try and change the face of Kwanzaa or Hanukkah. Why is it that store employees are not allowed to say Merry Christmas but can say happy hanukkah. Why are elementary kids taught to make dradles and what they stand for but not what Christmas means. One religion is not above the other!!!

I ask WHY???

Tv stations are still afraid to play the Charlie Brown Christmas because it is the only Christmas cartoon left that makes reference to what the true meaning of Christmas is about. The birth of Christ.

For those who do not believe why not just pick a day of the year and create yourself a holiday just for you.

In no way am I trying to offend anyone and am only stating my opinions on how I feel on this matter. No matter how you feel or what you believe in, I do hope you stay close to your family and friends and everyone has a safe and MERRY CHRISTMAS

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael Wittman

beliefs in many cases are just hand me downs. and yes christmas is about the birth of jesus if you believe in that. then there is also the whole santa clause thing. in american public schools they arent suppose to teach any religion because the public school is state run and there is suppose to be a seperation of church and state. not that we do a very good job of it. i think almost all religions try to force their views on others because its "for their own good". i like to think that i can look out for my own good and people telling me that i cant because that is what their parents taught them irks me a bit. i did have 14 years of private christian schooling lol. something about that disalusioned me about things. i remember at my highschool, we had lots of foreign exchange students and no matter their beliefs, they had to attend church every sunday or face punishment.

also if king herod was on a rampage looking for the baby jesus, then why did he die in 4 B.C.? because the birthdate is estimated. i agree with you though, no religion is more important than another, although being in a religion makes it hard to believe that because many of them say they are right and the rest who believe different things will suffer eternally. also a big shout out to emperor constantine for uniting all the christians under one book and making sure the religion could last through the ages. im sure the victums of the crusades and inquisition would also like to thank him. or maybe some molested boys throw in a thankyou to christianity. or some catholic africans told not to use condoms because that would be a form of birth control.

DeletedUser79042

Doesn't this thread belong to general discussion? :icon_rolleyes:

Merry Xmas once more !! :xmas tongue:

robo - present for you deep thinkers :) :

[spoil]

straplesssantacostume.jpg

For there are really nice things going on during Xmas :) ...

[/spoil]

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Appreciate the present r2 :)

You are right mberns and for a multitude of other reasons well explained at zeitgeist.com Though it also takes its practical illustrations a step too far much like any media outlet.

I believe the most fundamental question humans can ask of themselves as individuals is whether or not trust is necessary. We lie to children on a matter of fact basis having them believe in the likes of a non existant santa claus. We do this because of corporate propaganda backed by the christian institution of religion. I'm not saying a holiday where you get together with your friends and family is not a great idea. It is! No question! But I think society can do without the inherent lies to children.

Furthermore I do not think that children should be saddled with the religion of their parents. Thats akin to ensuring a child always votes democrat or republican based upon the views of their parents. You dont saddle children with your political tedencies before they have the capacity to understand them. Why would you enforce just one religious belief if any at all upon them?

Xmas can be about friends and family and giving of gifts without the need for the associated lies that go with it.

Michael Wittman

parm they do raise kids in america to follow the politcal beliefs of the parents. at least in my area. its all brainwashing in my book. telling someone to think a way before they can work it out on their own is brainwashing. there is no way in hell i would have believed in christianity if i had been allowed to find it on my own. not that i believe in hell either lol. just need to find things for myself as much as possible

DeletedUser

Parm your post is right on. Too often if you ask someone why they vote the way they do it's because of the way they were raised. Once in awhile someone will say it's because Democrats are for the working man and Republicans are for less govt. I think that is a copout answer both parties are interested only in increasing their power and wealth. I'd really like to see a few more choices for us.

As for religion again we are on the same page there, I think children should be allowed to make up their own minds. Sample as many as they can and worship or not depending on what they choose not on how my wife or I feel.

But hey I still enjoy Christmas, so have fun with your families and rest up for what is shaping up to be an interesting new year here on w30.

DeletedUser

Parm your post is right on. Too often if you ask someone why they vote the way they do it's because of the way they were raised. Once in awhile someone will say it's because Democrats are for the working man and Republicans are for less govt. I think that is a copout answer both parties are interested only in increasing their power and wealth. I'd really like to see a few more choices for us.

The choices are there in politics. You just have to go beyond the usual political branding.

I don't think I'll see the day where the parents won't be allowed to "teach" their kids their own values (it's the main role of parents, I think). Religion is an important part of many individuals of every religions and it has to be respected as a basic freedom.

You will always be influenced by your parents, family relatives, friends, co-workers and other social groups everywhere you go in whatever you do. It is not because your parents tought you to be religious, republican or democrat that you will be forever or that you actually need to be.

Social influences will remain forever wether it's religion, a kid influenced by friends into taking drugs, being vegetarian, joining a sect or a new religion, voting communist, voting republican, voting democrat, eating suchi :icon_eek:, etc.

Teaching your religion is not lieing to your children when you really believe in it. It is (almost) always done in good faith by the parents. I'm not saying parents should burn (or punish) their kids for not believing in religions but you can't force them not to try to teach it to their kids.

Lieing about the existence of Santa Claus is an old tradition that is never done in a harmful way but only to capture the kid imagination (in my view). I will certainly lie to my kids about it (when I actually have kids), to make them dream and have fun. Like all kids, they will find out one day and they won't hold any grudge against me for lying to them at all.

I'm not religious at all, but I believe strongly in freedom of beliefs and that parents should have the strongest influence in the education of their kids.

DeletedUser

Had I known this was going to erupt into a political / christian topic I wouldnt have started it. But since it has transformed into a discussion, I will by all means share my opinion being I started this.

On the morning of April 8th, 2006 I was involved in a life changing event. You see the news where people are assaulted and beaten and hospitalized and never think it could happen to you. Well that morning it did happen to me. I was punched in the face, and according to witnesses once I hit the ground the attacker continued his assault by kicking my head against the wall. I was lucky I lived, the left upper and lower jaw were broken, the left cheek bone shattered, and the left eye orbit also had its share of fractures. I went into surgery that night around 8 PM, and came out of surgery around 1 AM. For 2 months, I had to be on a liquid diet. No sodas, if they were they had to be clear, like sprite or sierra mist. No tea, nothing with color. I had to keep wire cutters in my pocket at all times, in case I got sick to my stomach I was to cut the wires holding my jaws together so I wouldnt choke to death if I threw up. Shortly after the assault, like with in 20 minutes, I had a free floating feeling. Like everything was cool, nothing could hurt me any more. I felt no pain at all. NONE. Call it nerve damage all you want, I know there was someone in that room with me that day besides me, the witness and the attacker. Only that person wasnt visible. I cant describe the feelings, and no I wasnt on any pain meds at the time. I wasnt given any pain meds untill more than 4 hours after being admitted to the hospital. I didnt need them. Ive been high on pain medicines, but this wasnt a medicated high, this was the real mccoy. I consider myself having 2 birthdays, the original in 1964 and then a 2nd chance in life in 2006. Ive learned to live life a little fuller, give more and expect less. I didnt have to live that day, I could just as easily been a statistic than a survivor. That incident taught me about forgiving. A year later when the case went to court, thi guy was looking at 5-8 years in prison. He had a job, a wife and a son. Granted he should have known better than to do what he did, but something changed me that day he assaulted me and I had a second look at life. I allowed the District Attorney to reduce the charges in a plea bargain. Instead of Felony Assault inflicting serious injuries, he was found guilty of misdemeanor assault inflicting serious injury. No prison time, he has 5 years of probation, attended mental health and anger management counseling. He has even changed. Had he went to prison, he would have lost his job, his house and everything his family had worked for. Some people you cant change, some you can. I believe in Jesus, no doubt in my mind there were angels in that room when I was assaulted. As for the Santa thing, a figure of imagination but not a lie. I think back on my childhood in my santa years, and remember that the spirit of Christmas was more about giving than receiving. This year, I got 2 gifts. 2. Not complaining a bit. I gave more than that, and the looks on the peoples faces who got them was worth alot more than the gifts cost. You guys and ladies can buy my story or call me a liar, but I was there that day, I felt it. I believe. Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas.