Closed Discussion Community Improvement

Status
Not open for further replies.

world8vet

Still Going Strong
Reaction score
Many of these suggestions don't help much given the player populations.

Personally i would suggest merging more "sites" into .net, the more players you have the bigger leway new players have to learn and improve.

Also the ones that do join older worlds by mistake will have an easier time compared to now.

In a hypothetical scenario where you merge all the "sites" new players will be able to relocate on the rim and to learn, right now if you get rimmed you're just going to spawn next to a "potential cluster" for one of the top players.

Wanting to help new players is fine and all but you have to tackle the core of the issue, instead of trying to work a way around it.

Deleted User - 11549951

well
the only reason i'm here and not in the portuguese server is so that this doesn't happen.

Deleted User - 11549951

merging the swedish server has had a surprising approval rate from the swedish players however i wouldnt suggest you keep merging servers as the old players give up playing. Especially as some servers prove far more competitive than net server. for example: uk, pt, es, fr.

perhaps the root of the problem would be to get more players interested in this game rather than facilitate the game for the existent players.
If you accept there will be no new players, then you wont bother to do anything to capture a new audience.

since im not head of marketing for innogames im not here proposing an advertisement campaign but a move to capture the new users who often just move onto to another game after a few days/weeks.

If you start playing this and just identify this game as another pay to win type game/app where you build your house type thing like farmville you wont capture the majority of players. You download another one and you were busy for your "15minutes" with TW.
this isnt what the original TW was and we used to mock players for this ( although i played farmville, i didnt play TW as if it was farmville xD)
the noob had a chance and it was for free until it was worth it to put 10 euros in for 5 months.

Last edited by a moderator:

world8vet

Still Going Strong
Reaction score
merging the swedish server has had a surprising approval rate from the swedish players however i wouldnt suggest you keep merging servers as the old players give up playing. Especially as some servers prove far more competitive than net server. for example: uk, pt, es, fr.

perhaps the root of the problem would be to get more players interested in this game rather than facilitate the game for the existent players.
If you accept there will be no new players, then you wont bother to do anything to capture a new audience.

since im not head of marketing for innogames im not here proposing an advertisement campaign but a move to capture the new users who often just move onto to another game after a few days/weeks.

If you start playing this and just identify this game as another pay to win type game/app where you build your house type thing like farmville you wont capture the majority of players. You download another one and you were busy for your "15minutes" with TW.
this isnt what the original TW was and we used to mock players for this ( although i played farmville, i didnt play TW as if it was farmville xD)
the noob had a chance and it was for free until it was worth it to put 10 euros in for 5 months.

The game isn't built as a "mobile" sim to attract and keep casual mobile players. The base of the game is an og multiplayer strategy sim, it is unforgiving, and has a large skill curve. Add to that all of the PP features and you're just making the barrier of entry larger and larger. The direction the game took has just made it lose it's identity resulting in a declining player base. The game doesn't know what it wants to be, you can not appeal to the "clash of clans" audience given the original mechanics of the game.

Let's look at the appealing factors of the game

1) Skill curve, something that isn't so appealing to casuals.
2) The impact of effort, again something that isn't appealing to casuals.
3) The communty aspect, not something that a casual logs in to do

The new player which will get attracted to TW is someone who appreciates the basic functions and who wants to get better, not a casual. Obviously people learn at their own pace, and the game does have a space for casuals, but it's going to be ones who are interested in moving towards being a "hobbyist".

In the past new players had the chance on the rim, they would grow close to other players, and form pesky family tribes that vets would complain about. And by the time the good players turn their eyes on them they would at least have had a good enough experience to want to start another world.

Right now the population is declining, and this population decline is causing an ever bigger exodus of players. Merging servers would both help the vets who want a bigger populated world, and the new players who will be able to learn and grow on the rim.
I don't know if some servers are more skilled then the other, but in the past we had a huge variety of skill in the player base and it worked out well, i don't see why it should not have the same result.

I agree about your opinion on PP features, and i say that it's quite clear from worlds such as brazil 100, poland 150 that such worlds still work very well given they have a decent population.

I'm not in many of the small sites to understand if they want to have their own community or if they want to merge, but from my point of view for "Tribal Wars" as a franchise the most important thing atm is bulstering the player base, and creating an enviornment where multiple skill gaps can exist, and the only way to do that right now is by mergers.

Deleted User - 11549951

Because communities have been built.
The portuguese server is somewhere where a lot of new players are learning the game - something which cant be said for all servers.
one of the people in the international speed team who by the way did fantastic, started playing less than 1 year ago!
all of them better players than me at speeds as I have experienced with my own skin :)

I imagine the same has happened in many places and merging these servers would only break communities apart.
speeds are an important part of Tribal Wars. I personally started again with the speeds n then came to net.

AuroraMoon

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
Because communities have been built.
The portuguese server is somewhere where a lot of new players are learning the game - something which cant be said for all servers.
one of the people in the international speed team who by the way did fantastic, started playing less than 1 year ago!
all of them better players than me at speeds as I have experienced with my own skin :)

I imagine the same has happened in many places and merging these servers would only break communities apart.
speeds are an important part of Tribal Wars. I personally started again with the speeds n then came to net.

wouldnt a merging of servers be bringing communities together to play against each other
rather then those same communities playing separately until no longer viable....

so if i may ask
what is the difference between the portuguese server and the international server??
are rules different?? are their different mechanics?? are world settings different??
if so how are they different

Deleted User - 11549951

first of all you can write your profile in portuguese lol
secondly, its a different community.

once youre done merging all severs there wont be international competitions anymore either.
In essence, you would be merging servers whilst accepting you wont be able to find new players, which is rather possible given the appropriate modifications.

world8vet

Still Going Strong
Reaction score

once youre done merging all severs there wont be international competitions anymore either.
In essence, you would be merging servers whilst accepting you wont be able to find new players, which is rather possible given the appropriate modifications.

You can write your profile in portuguese here as well. My profile on the polish server is in English.

All the major online games have sub communities while mostly having 1 client (look at csgo, dota, cod), i don't see how it's a negative.

I don't see how TW is finding new players atm, and i would argue that you have way more players quiting.

DaWolf85

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
You can write your profile in portuguese here as well.
While I'm here, I must warn you that this is incorrect.

Our supported languages here on the International server are Croatian, Danish, English, Norwegian, Slovenian, Swedish, and Thai (See Section 3, Rule 5). Player profiles (among other ingame communications) must be in one of these languages. Otherwise, the support team generally cannot definitively understand the content if it is reported, and we will therefore consider it a breach of rules.

Mod hat aside, I think TW does get new players. I couldn't tell you how or why, but I do see them regularly. I don't think they interact with the rest of the community very much though, and I'm not entirely sure that this can ever be fully solved - some players just want to chill and play casually, and that's not really what this game is good for. But I think we can certainly do better than we currently do. I think the TW Discord has been very helpful in encouraging new players to join the community, so maybe that is a starting point. Perhaps we could expand that with more resources, information; maybe even some sort of welcome squad or regular community events, to encourage players to stay and engage with the community - as that continued engagement from new players is the part that I haven't seen as much.

AuroraMoon

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score

how is it a different community when we all play the same game....

theres no international competition on a dedicated server for a certain country
if your server (portuguese) was merged, i assume you would be able to write in portuguese since the support teams could be brought together
the community instead of being separated would also increase by coming together and that international competition is then possible

there could even be a plus side of more worlds being released, new world settings

Our supported languages here on the International server are Croatian, Danish, English, Norwegian, Slovenian, Swedish, and Thai (See Section 3, Rule 5). Player profiles (among other ingame communications) must be in one of these languages. Otherwise, the support team generally cannot definitively understand the content if it is reported, and we will therefore consider it a breach of rules.

would it be difficult to get support for portuguese in the future?
also being international server i dont think anyone actually follows that rule in general - personally have never seen a translation of whats been typed under any language

Deleted User - 11549951

I would like to remind you the net. server has shrunk since merging with the swedish server.
Furthermore you should go ask the portuguese community if they want to merge with another server.
(although br would make more sense to merge, i doubt i'll see that happen because these mergers are done in the name of profit n the br server is more profitable).

Lets just say JawJaw would have a party as soon as i make the mistake of doing something ban-able (write my profile in portuguese) as they gave me a 72hour ban in BETA for example - just coz i was making fun of the "Bully" in BETA - I wrote down thankyou to everyone who bought me pps in portuguese

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 11549951

Let me finish off saying that these 2 communities are not the same.

Whilst in net. i have witnessed bullying on the external forum and an overall attitude of egoism when beating someone else at this game, the same cannot be said for the portuguese server.
Diplomacy isnt a big thing over there and neither are spies.
Finally, something known as respect for your adversary is implemented culturally in the PT server - Something you will very rarely see in net.

This isnt something youre gonna change so easily as you now have players which have won like "assholes" for 10 years and who believe this is the way forward much like any racist grand parents.

world8vet

Still Going Strong
Reaction score

Mod hat aside, I think TW does get new players. I couldn't tell you how or why, but I do see them regularly. I don't think they interact with the rest of the community very much though, and I'm not entirely sure that this can ever be fully solved - some players just want to chill and play casually, and that's not really what this game is good for. But I think we can certainly do better than we currently do. I think the TW Discord has been very helpful in encouraging new players to join the community, so maybe that is a starting point. Perhaps we could expand that with more resources, information; maybe even some sort of welcome squad or regular community events, to encourage players to stay and engage with the community - as that continued engagement from new players is the part that I haven't seen as much.

Maybe we can add sections to the discord where new players can ask for advice and so on.

AuroraMoon

Non-stop Poster
Reaction score
I would like to remind you the net. server has shrunk since merging with the swedish server.
Furthermore you should go ask the portuguese community if they want to merge with another server.
(although br would make more sense to merge, i doubt i'll see that happen because these mergers are done in the name of profit n the br server is more profitable).

Lets just say JawJaw would have a party as soon as i make the mistake of doing something ban-able (write my profile in portuguese) as they gave me a 72hour ban in BETA for example - just coz i was making fun of the "Bully" in BETA - I wrote down thankyou to everyone who bought me pps in portuguese

.br servers are bigger then Portugals - active player wise
.net servers are bigger then Portugals - active player wise

.br Statistics
9,040,300 - Record of registered players ( 57,528 - Active Players).
884,861 - Record of registered tribes ( 4,429 - Active Tribes).

.net Statistics
10,809,991 players recorded (44,763 active).
1,634,999 tribes recorded (5,688 active).

.pt Estatísticas
4,921,332 jogadores registados (33,893 activos).
694,831 tribos registadas (3,094 activas).

.se Statistics
920,483 players registered ( 9,145 active).
158,223 strains registered ( 1,328 active).

as for the swedish they joined and theres quite a few of them still around every world since joining - there style of play has also brought some new tactics which is nice

now imagine if all those active accounts played on the same world - wouldnt it be beautiful

Let me finish off saying that these 2 communities are not the same.

Whilst in net. i have witnessed bullying on the external forum and an overall attitude of egoism when beating someone else at this game, the same cannot be said for the portuguese server.
Diplomacy isnt a big thing over there and neither are spies.
Finally, something known as respect for your adversary is implemented culturally in the PT server - Something you will very rarely see in net.

This isnt something youre gonna change so easily as you now have players which have won like "assholes" for 10 years and who believe this is the way forward much like any racist grand parents.

i cant access the other externals for some reason so cant compare attitudes
but highly doubt that a server/external forum would be free from spies, egos and bullying (usually poor attempts at pnp's or what ever they go by)
in saying that the only thing that i can think of that may cause it to be less noticeable is due to having less cultures/countries playing those servers leading to less clashes between players

when it comes to respect for an enemy - it is there, people are enemies one world and friends the next, unless a player is purely toxic or a tribe was using underhanded tactics - that can carry on for a few worlds like a good rivalry/grudge

and dont get me wrong there are some "assholes" out there, theres no denying that but they aint exclusive to .net

world8vet

Still Going Strong
Reaction score
now imagine if all those active accounts played on the same world - wouldnt it be beautiful

Personally i agree, i haven't played since w32, and seeing the current situation of the game kinda hurts my drive. I defintely agree that a greater player population would help the overall experience, and increase enjoyment for both casuls/hobbyists hardocre.

Deleted User - 10368546

Sure would be nice if all servers/sites were merged into one, but people would still find something to complain about. Like every server having 100k players and lasting 10+ years lol. people would eventually start getting bored and mass deleting accounts.

Deleted User - 11549951

I would say that would be a hell of a world to play in!
It would also be the end of Tribal wars.

I was by no means implying all players in net employ such tactics! Simply that these tactics are much more commonly implemented.
Whereby using spies or fake diplomacy would be regarded negatively elsewhere, in net. it would very much be regarded as 'smart'.

Something which stuck to me was seeing war announcements posted on external forums with 1 week warning instead of breaking alliances overnight and starting attacks.

Deleted User - 11549951

As for the activity of servers or the way innogames would see it :the profitability of servers;

this doesn't mean the servers are more competitive or challenging as demonstrated by the international competitions' results.

Status
Not open for further replies.