Computer Issue

DeletedUser

Hey guys, I read around on google about what could be causing this..but i never found anything definate...was hoping one of you computer guru's could help out.

So the problem is, I was typing a messsage on facebook and the computer just shut off, i checked power...its plugged in and "charging", then i restarted it and it worked for a bit (slow, very slow) then it shut down again...now im on it and its moving pretty fast..but I still dont know whats wrong with it. Running virus scan, but I dont think thats what it is.

DeletedUser

chances are your hard disk is gone. I hope you can find your warranty.

DeletedUser

Laptop? Might be your powersupply, who's taking the final dirtnap.

DeletedUser61336

Hey guys, I read around on google about what could be causing this..but i never found anything definate...was hoping one of you computer guru's could help out.

So the problem is, I was typing a messsage on facebook and the computer just shut off, i checked power...its plugged in and "charging", then i restarted it and it worked for a bit (slow, very slow) then it shut down again...now im on it and its moving pretty fast..but I still dont know whats wrong with it. Running virus scan, but I dont think thats what it is.

Any power-surges lately?

DeletedUser

No power surges..Im guessing its just getting too hot, I got an ingame mail which said so...because after it cooled down it worked fine lol.

Therin

Contributing Poster
Reaction score
No power surges..Im guessing its just getting too hot, I got an ingame mail which said so...because after it cooled down it worked fine lol.

If it's a laptop then heat really is the most likely cause of the issue - mine does this too. There are gadgets you can buy to help, but there are easy ways:

1) Try vacuuming where the fan intakes air - this can clean out any muck that is restricting air intake
2) Place the laptop on coffee mats so that it is raised 1cm or so off the surface, making sure the intake vent is no way obstructed
3) (works very well with #2) Get a portable fan and aim it down underneath your laptop, close as you can to intake vent.

I've done all three, and it has yet to overheat while carrying out #2/3 together. Stays cool indefinately compared to overheating after just 30 mins on counterstrike without.

DeletedUser

If it's a laptop then heat really is the most likely cause of the issue - mine does this too. There are gadgets you can buy to help, but there are easy ways:

1) Try vacuuming where the fan intakes air - this can clean out any muck that is restricting air intake
2) Place the laptop on coffee mats so that it is raised 1cm or so off the surface, making sure the intake vent is no way obstructed
3) (works very well with #2) Get a portable fan and aim it down underneath your laptop, close as you can to intake vent.

I've done all three, and it has yet to overheat while carrying out #2/3 together. Stays cool indefinately compared to overheating after just 30 mins on counterstrike without.

I have two cooling fans..the newer one has a stand on it, but vibrates and makes a ton of noise, so i use that to support the other..but its pointed to blow onto the bottom of the computer. Ill turn it over and see if it helps, and vacuuming sounds like a good idea too lol.

Thank you.

DeletedUser

You can buy some sort of rack, to place it on, with a fan built into it.

http://www.everythingusb.com/belkin_laptop_cooling_pad_13845.html

Didn't pay any attention to what site it was, nor the prices. Just wanted to show you what i meant.

LOL, I have that exact thing. It makes a ton of noise though so i just use it to support my old one, with two fans. Only problem is, there is no hole on the back..it sucks air from the front, so I cannot flip it over.